2021-2022 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my interview this coming Friday (8th) and have yet to receive my interview information - has anyone received anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Vanderbilt has sent out over 200 interviews so far (source: their website)—please update this doc for all your schools :

Pre-secondary R. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-secondary R here as well. Good luck, y'all!

• Care
My primary was complete 6/17 and I never received Vanderbilt's secondary. I was expecting a rejection at this point, but the way that they phrased the pre-2º rejection kinda irks me:

"Thank you for submitting your application to the MD program at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.

The Committee for Admissions has carefully reviewed your application materials and recommended that you not be offered the opportunity to continue your application process for the Entering Class of 2022."

*I underlined and underlined the portion that stood out to me

Believe me, I know it's not personal but so far all the rejections I've received have been decent. This one just stood out as a little less so. Good luck to yall, and no hate to vanderbilt--I know I'm in/under the 10th percentile for stats, but the wording just seemed like someone read my app and was just like "we absolutely do not want this person to have a shot at completing their app here."

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
about to submit my secondary to this school in a few days. Yolo

My primary was complete 6/17 and I never received Vanderbilt's secondary. I was expecting a rejection at this point, but the way that they phrased the pre-2º rejection kinda irks me:

"Thank you for submitting your application to the MD program at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.

The Committee for Admissions has carefully reviewed your application materials and recommended that you not be offered the opportunity to continue your application process for the Entering Class of 2022."

Believe me, I know it's not personal but so far all the rejections I've received have been decent. This one just stood out as a little less so. Good luck to yall, and no hate to vanderbilt--I know I'm in/under the 10th percentile for stats, but the wording just seemed like someone read my app and was just like "we absolutely do not want this person to have a shot at completing their app here."
I was hurt by the wording as well. It really stung the ego tbh. I appreciate and respect them, but I feel that they could have worded this differently. Yes they are a top tier school, but, dang.

I was hurt by the wording as well. It really stung the ego tbh. I appreciate and respect them, but I feel that they could have worded this differently. Yes they are a top tier school, but, dang.
also agree- may or may not be emotionally eating a bag of cheetos atm. Congrats to everyone left in the Vandy pool though! I'm an undergrad here, and it truly is an amazing city and campus

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
They eventually send this rejection letter to everybody who gets rejected. Even post-secondary R’s.
, so keep your heads up.

• Care

I hear you, but keeping in mind that they reject thousands while accepting hundreds, you know it's not personal regardless of how nice or cold the rejection is. Would you honestly be willing to pay $85 to receive a "it's us not you" letter a few months from now? I wouldn't.

TBH, it's really all the same to me. At the end of the day, there are IIs, which are necessary to have a shot at an A, and there is everything else, including being ghosted.

II this evening! one of my top choices, very happy! especially after a pitt pre-II R this week. complete 7/21 ish

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
II last night!! LM: ~75. OOS. Complete 07/20.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Any MSTP applicant not hear back within the 6-8 week time period yet? Going on 3 months now..

I’m interviewing this coming week. When is the interview schedule (morning vs afternoon) sent out? It said 2 weeks before the interview, but I haven’t heard anything yet.

I’m interviewing this coming week. When is the interview schedule (morning vs afternoon) sent out? It said 2 weeks before the interview, but I haven’t heard anything yet.
Interviewing this coming week as well (on mondday) and I got my interview schedule this past week

I'm also interviewing this coming week and haven't gotten anything either!

On another note: the casual student chat is actually casual attire, right? I don't wanna show up and everyone be wearing their suit and ties while I'm in a sweatshirt 🤣

I'm also interviewing this coming week and haven't gotten anything either!

On another note: the casual student chat is actually casual attire, right? I don't wanna show up and everyone be wearing their suit and ties while I'm in a sweatshirt 🤣
It is actually casual!

• Love
My interview is tomorrow O_O any tips/insight from those already interviewed? So nervous!

Just wanted to say that the interview was surprisingly nice !!! everyone was so friendly and super good vibe overall !!

Does this school send out pre-II R? I received the secondary but haven't heard back since being complete in late July, so I don't know what to expect since pre-secondary R's have already been sent out.

Does this school send out pre-II R? I received the secondary but haven't heard back since being complete in late July, so I don't know what to expect since pre-secondary R's have already been sent out.
Same - and atleast for MD PhD they said 6-8 weeks review time and it's been a lot longer. I figured I'll email when I have an update.

Hey team, just got the secondary here recently after being transmitted on the first day lol. Any thoughts on whether it would be worth it to submit now? I haven’t prewritten any of these and they look awful, I also like not wasting money l

I was complete 8/4 and haven't heard anything. Anyone else in a similar position?

I was complete 8/4 and haven't heard anything. Anyone else in a similar position?
Me!! I submitted the 2nd of August - they've sent about 360 interview invites and I've seen in previous cycles it's been a total of around like 600 so still some hope :)

Hey team, just got the secondary here recently after being transmitted on the first day lol. Any thoughts on whether it would be worth it to submit now? I haven’t prewritten any of these and they look awful, I also like not wasting money l
I submitted my primary back in July, and just got my secondary 10/20. (Mixed stat GPA < 3.5, MCAT > 515, nontrad)

The tracker right now says
7,045 Verified Applications Received
4,515 Secondary Application Invitations
358 Interview Invitations

I am planning on submitting. They still have a couple hundred more IIs to send, and if they just send a secondary, then that's a good sign that they're still interested in hearing from more applicants. But I can copy most of the essays from other schools so it won't be too much work for me.

II received! Complete 8/1, OOS ORM.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
for people who interviewed already, what should I be expecting?

for people who interviewed already, what should I be expecting?
One short and one long interview! Both of mine were very kind and sweet, but be prepared to talk a lot about your application!!

I interview later this week but still haven't received notification on what session I am in...is anyone else in a similar situation?

I interview later this week but still haven't received notification on what session I am in...is anyone else in a similar situation?
I didn't receive this info until the Thursday before my Monday interview! Ik they said you'd find out earlier in the confirmation stuff but it seems like they send it out much closer to the actual date. I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard from them yet

II just now!! I submitted this secondary like 5-6 weeks late so I thought I was done for. LM 79, complete 8/6.

• Love
II! Complete 8/17!

• Love
Since they interview about 550 students and have already sent out 501 invites, is it safe to assume that if you haven't heard back yet while being done end of July it's a soft-R?

Since they interview about 550 students and have already sent out 501 invites, is it safe to assume that if you haven't heard back yet while being done end of July it's a soft-R?
I think it's safe to assume they have around 50 IIs left to go. If you haven't yet been rejected, you have the same small chance to receive one of them as anyone else. I seriously doubt at this point it matters when you were complete. You started out with around a 10% chance of receiving an II. With 90% of them gone, you now have around a 1% chance. Still not 0%, but getting there.

It's not like all of however many IIs are left are going to go to people complete after you, no matter when you were complete. That's just not how it works.

They are going to go to the highest scoring files that have not already received an II, and that fit whatever demographics or metrics they are looking for. Is yours one of them? Who knows? But your complete date is highly unlikely to be one of the metrics used to make that determination.

One thing that's for sure -- AFTER they send out those 50 IIs, if you still don't hear anything, yeah, it's a silent R!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what information KnightDoc is using to make these predictions... Rez_nov: during interviews this year, they said they interviewed right around 650 last year, and, because they got right around the same number of secondaries this year, they expect to interview the same amount. That means 650-500 (currently) = ~150 MD + MD/PhD II's left. Yesterday, the tracker went up by ~150, meaning they have another big wave like yesterday's left, likely to be given out after the holidays (in 2022). So, although a lot of II's have been sent out, it definitely isn't to the point of being a "soft-R." And the prediction of 50 II's being left is quite off - KnightDoc likely made that prediction based on pre-pandemic data.
Actually, I just made it off what @Rez_nov said about 550. But, you're right -- 633 is what is reported on MSAR, which also includes MD/PhD, so you probably want to be careful when calculating exact numbers.

My point was simply that it's not over until it's over, and that there is no such thing as a soft or silent R until such time. I can tell you that the 650, or 633, or whatever, includes MD/PhD. It does so in MSAR, and it does so on the tracker.

Either way, based on your info, it looks like they are around 75% done, not 90%, which is a little better, but still not great. One positive note -- while 501 IIs are gone, that also means the strongest 501 candidates are out of the running for the remaining IIs. :)

Last year the number of interviews scheduled on Vandy’s interview tracker hit 730+ based on the waybackmachine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Last year the number of interviews scheduled on Vandy’s interview tracker hit 730+ based on the waybackmachine.
That would be great!

How many applications were received according to the wayback machine, and how does that compare to this cycle? If applications are down this cycle, as they appear to be just about everywhere, I wouldn't count on IIs remaining elevated. Maybe the 730+ included MD/PhD, and the 650 @bildb111 is referring to was MD-only?

Whatever the case, it looks like 550 was a low number, and the actual number will be in the mid 600s. If that does not include MD/PhD, and Vandy actually keeps the number elevated even though apps are down this year, that would be great, and would obviously make it a little easier to score one as compared to the past few cycles. Time will tell!

That would be great!

How many applications were received according to the wayback machine, and how does that compare to this cycle? If applications are down this cycle, as they appear to be just about everywhere, I wouldn't count on IIs remaining elevated. Maybe the 730+ included MD/PhD, and the 650 @bildb111 is referring to was MD-only?

Whatever the case, it looks like 550 was a low number, and the actual number will be in the mid 600s. If that does not include MD/PhD, and Vandy actually keeps the number elevated even though apps are down this year, that would be great, and would obviously make it a little easier to score one as compared to the past few cycles. Time will tell!
I got the 550 number from their website, here is the link: Admission Process

Specifically, it reads, "We will interview approximately 550 applicants; approximately 250 applicants will be offered admission for 96 positions."

I think it might only refer to MD-only II's. The Tracker seems to include the other types (MD/PHD, etc.) though. Either way, you're right no point in dwelling about it- it's out of my hands for now just hoping for the best for everyone.

I appreciate you letting us know what was said during the interview this cycle @bildb111 because it does give a glimpse as to what the school is actually saying/thinking. Thanks, @KnightDoc for your thorough and thoughtful responses!

For November interviewees, have the interview events been on Central Time or Central Daylight Time? I have the interview and student social coming up and was confused by the wording of the email. We were told to join the zoom at 7 PM Central Daylight Time. Is this a typo from before the daylight savings time switch? Or should we use CDT for all the interview time slots?

Has anyone received any emails from Vandy post interview like a URM virtual meeting or a campus tour?

Has anyone received any emails from Vandy post interview like a URM virtual meeting or a campus tour?
I received one about a URM group chat with the Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion about a month and a half after interviewing!

Has anyone submitted a pre-II update here? And if so, did you email admissions in addition to uploading to the portal?

Has anyone submitted a pre-II update here? And if so, did you email admissions in addition to uploading to the portal?
I submitted a pre-II update, but didn't email admissions. They get an update when you submit through the portal, no need to bother them with an email too IMO.

I sent an update via email but did not upload to the portal - their admissions website said to send all updates to the mdadmissions email address! I feel like you can do one or the other, but both is a bit much.