2021-2022 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone understand why we sit on member of the committee forever? Does it mean that they don't like us, or is it that they just haven't gotten around to reading our app?
It means your file has not been prioritized.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ahah - so they don't like us. Thanks!
Think about it like this: the moment your complete file comes in it is filtered by a person or computer just like based on first impression. You are put into a pile, you could be in the Probablt never gonna interview pile or let’s get them to subcommittee as fast as possible file. It’s like pergatory, but as we get later in the season I do think it’s safe to say you probably weren’t put in a priority pile.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Think about it like this: the moment your complete file comes in it is filtered by a person or computer just like based on first impression. You are put into a pile, you could be in the Probablt never gonna interview pile or let’s get them to subcommittee as fast as possible file. It’s like pergatory, but as we get later in the season I do think it’s safe to say you probably weren’t put in a priority pile.
Not being in the priority pile doesn't mean you can't still get an II which turns into an A, just being optimistic here

• Care
I interviewed back in August and was put on hold for acceptance but didn't get in for the first date. Is it possible to get accepted in December or more likely that I'll be put on the waitlist at the end of the cycle instead?

Submitted on Sept 6. Fingers crossed there's an II somewhere with my name on it :)

I interviewed back in August and was put on hold for acceptance but didn't get in for the first date. Is it possible to get accepted in December or more likely that I'll be put on the waitlist at the end of the cycle instead?
Your best shot was at the first date. Yes there is still a slight chance, but each found the people whoo are prioritized are the new batch of kids.

It is more likely that you will be waitlisted, but every time there probably 2 or so people who post that they got in having been deferred from a previous date.

Not being in the priority pile doesn't mean you can't still get an II which turns into an A, just being optimistic here
Absolutely - I was just answering "what does it mean to not have heard anything". Just cause they haven't been prioritized so far does not mean they cannot still get a II.

Reactions: 2 users
Received II just now! Complete 7/12, was on subcommittee for a few months, file review complete on 11/1.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
IS II just now! Complete somewhere around mid-August I believe. Stats are in my signature. Been on subcommittee for a few months like the poster above and was also just recently put on file review complete. Good luck guys!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II this morning, IS complete in October(waited for MCAT score) so super quick turnaround! My first EVER interview after years of applying and retaking the MCAT. I finally have a chance 😭😭😭

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
II this morning, IS complete in October(waited for MCAT score) so super quick turnaround! My first EVER interview after years of applying and retaking the MCAT. I finally have a chance 😭😭😭
That makes me so happy you are amazing!!

IS II just now! Complete somewhere around mid-August I believe. Stats are in my signature. Been on subcommittee for a few months like the poster above and was also just recently put on file review complete. Good luck guys!
Just out of curiosity, did you get File Review Complete on that day (11/1) as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, did you get File Review Complete on that day (11/1) as well?
I don’t think it told me a specific day the File Review was complete but I remember checking last week and was surprised it was complete already so I’d guess yes.

I don’t think it told me a specific day the File Review was complete but I remember checking last week and was surprised it was complete already so I’d guess yes.
I mean earlier this week, not last week.

I've been at Files Review Complete since like... August?... Can't even remember now because it's been so long. Do I assume an auto-reject? Do I even have anything to lose by reaching out?

Does anyone know if the interviews are in person now? My friend had one earlier and it was on zoom but it seems like mine will be in person. They updated instructions for booking hotels and reaching the interview building to my app portal so I assume so.

• Wow
Does anyone know if the interviews are in person now? My friend had one earlier and it was on zoom but it seems like mine will be in person. They updated instructions for booking hotels and reaching the interview building to my app portal so I assume so.
I just got my II and it’s all online interview instructions. Are you near the area?

I just got my II and it’s all online interview instructions. Are you near the area?
My portal just updated again! Now it's all online instructions, that's weird. Thank you though :)

I've been at Files Review Complete since like... August?... Can't even remember now because it's been so long. Do I assume an auto-reject? Do I even have anything to lose by reaching out?
I would reccomend not living by the “do I have anything to lose” mentality. You have nothing to gain, they’re just gonna send u a generic response they send anyone who asks.

My portal also had all of these instructions updated but the interview I had was online. I would triple check w admissions.

Checked my portal today and I moved to sub-committee. Was on file complete since 9/6.

My portal also had all of these instructions updated but the interview I had was online. I would triple check w admissions.
Yeah, it updated again and I got all the online information. The more in-person material seems to be removed. It was probably just a mistake and I just happened to check the portal at the wrong time haha. I'll probably call within the next few days to triple-check as you said though.

If we haven't had an interview yet and have been stuck on sub-committee for two months, should we just abandon hope for this? As in, not totally impossible to get an II, let alone an acceptance, but extremely unlikely?
same boat, also wondering

I was on subcommittee for 2+ months then went straight to file review complete last week. Got a II that friday
What did your file review complete message look like? It seems like it has looked different for different people in the past. Did you get this?

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.​

What did your file review complete message look like? It seems like it has looked different for different people in the past. Did you get this?

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.​

It was exactly that!

• Love
Does anybody know for sure if people who get 4 or 5 avg. committee scores post interview are rejected?

• Hmm
Oh Relaly!! This year?
Not this year :)
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.31.27 PM.png

I haven't even gotten to sub committee yet. It's been 3 months since I was complete and I hate the fact they don't email you with anything so you just have to keep on checking back on the portal every other day or so. Feels like I'm giving more mental investment than I probably should be for VCU.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I haven't even gotten to sub committee yet. It's been 3 months since I was complete and I hate the fact they don't email you with anything so you just have to keep on checking back on the portal every other day or so. Feels like I'm giving more mental investment than I probably should be for VCU.
I am sorry. Hang in there. The waiting game is so draining :)

I’m in the same boat as you.

Apologies for such a basic question, but I was screened out pre-secondary last year (lol) so I don't know the answer - does VCU typically send out pre-II R's throughout the cycle? Or is it one of the schools that leaves you hanging until spring?

Edit: Looking through the thread it looks like some people had pre-II R's during the cycle, while others didn't get the R until spring. Any insight as to why the difference?

Last edited:
Apologies for such a basic question, but I was screened out pre-secondary last year (lol) so I don't know the answer - does VCU typically send out pre-II R's throughout the cycle? Or is it one of the schools that leaves you hanging until spring?

Edit: Looking through the thread it looks like some people had pre-II R's during the cycle, while others didn't get the R until spring. Any insight as to why the difference?
Guessing that those who got it in Spring stayed under consideration for longer. That admissions was still debating over them until they'd filled their class.

How do you know if your interview went well? I am feeling terrible after mine and I don’t think my interviewers appreciated my answers

How do you know if your interview went well? I am feeling terrible after mine and I don’t think my interviewers appreciated my answers
Honestly you can't know. Even people that think theirs went well could be totally wrong if the interviewer has a different perception of what a good interview looks like. Hang in there and just remind yourself that it's done!

I thought mine went well, within top 3 of interviews I’ve done and didn’t get in so I don’t think it’s possible to assess and I doubt it actually counts for that much

They review your entire file for committee review score 1-5 so it’s not like the interview willl make or break you (at least in my opinion)

For people that got accepted last month, have you heard anything about the background check? I have the message saying the background check is necessary to complete your acceptance and "you should hear about the background check in the next few days," but it's been there for weeks and I haven't seen anything. It's stressing me out, is that the case for everyone?

For people that got accepted last month, have you heard anything about the background check? I have the message saying the background check is necessary to complete your acceptance and "you should hear about the background check in the next few days," but it's been there for weeks and I haven't seen anything. It's stressing me out, is that the case for everyone?
Nope. Have not received anything for the background check.

they will email you if you get an interview. Nothing else really matters before that.

I thought mine went well, within top 3 of interviews I’ve done and didn’t get in so I don’t think it’s possible to assess and I doubt it actually counts for that much

They review your entire file for committee review score 1-5 so it’s not like the interview willl make or break you (at least in my opinion)
actually at VCU the interview counts significantly in determining your ultimate decision

source: Dean mission an assistant dean of admission who used to come on here.

Guessing that those who got it in Spring stayed under consideration for longer. That admissions was still debating over them until they'd filled their class.
Yeah I mean I think its more simple that that. Everyone goes through subcommittee by around now/ December.

those who got Pre-II already it was probably pretty automated: didn't hit a number of hours in a certain category or something. The poeople who get rejected Pre-II like within days- thats probably a computer just automatically doing that.

theres not really any "debating"- you get a number score and thats your number. Theres probably a Pre-II R cut off and a II cut off. If you are in-between the 2 they keep ya around until spring. If youre before the Pre-II R cut off you get the R sometime in the fall.