2021-2022 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I mean I think its more simple that that. Everyone goes through subcommittee by around now/ December.

those who got Pre-II already it was probably pretty automated: didn't hit a number of hours in a certain category or something. The poeople who get rejected Pre-II like within days- thats probably a computer just automatically doing that.

theres not really any "debating"- you get a number score and thats your number. Theres probably a Pre-II R cut off and a II cut off. If you are in-between the 2 they keep ya around until spring. If youre before the Pre-II R cut off you get the R sometime in the fall.
Thanks for your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been on subcommittee forever (since early August). Is that the time where I send a letter of update or is it the end for this school?

I've been on subcommittee forever (since early August). Is that the time where I send a letter of update or is it the end for this school?
they don't accept updates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still on "a member of the committee" for 3+ months? I don't remember if I ever even got to "subcommittee" last cycle, only that I got the R sometime in March.

Reactions: 1 user
II a couple of days ago!! OOS LM 74

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone still on "a member of the committee" for 3+ months? I don't remember if I ever even got to "subcommittee" last cycle, only that I got the R sometime in March.
same here, at this point it's probably just a R that'll come in a month or two :( I know everyone is saying stay optimistic, but it's hard when schools be playing us like this :( double sad

same here, at this point it's probably just a R that'll come in a month or two :( I know everyone is saying stay optimistic, but it's hard when schools be playing us like this :( double sad
Dang, I wonder why they don’t like us here :/

I'm probably gonna withdraw my app at this point

I'm probably gonna withdraw my app at this point
interview invites every year are sent out as late as the last interview day aka march. Why would you withdraw before that?

Reactions: 1 users
I had my interview in early September and was not get in in first round of offers. Should I write a letter of intent to them? (Honestly this school is my top choice. ) or I should stay till March.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview in early September and was not get in in first round of offers. Should I write a letter of intent to them? (Honestly this school is my top choice. ) or I should stay till March.
From what I’ve read, they don’t impact your ranking and that is what determines who is taken from the hold/accept list. I could be wrong but perhaps @Talldoctor96 can confirm

What I don’t understand is why the best chance of being accepted is the first day after one’s interview. Isn’t it somewhat reasonable to assume that those who get invited to interview earlier have a higher application score on average? So when the first batch of acceptances go out, the high but not super high application scores move to the top?

Or is it a law of large numbers thing? Maybe there will always be some very high application scores regardless of interview date.

Just got moved from committee to sub-committee within the last couple of days (haven't checked in a while), does that mean anything important?

From what I’ve read, they don’t impact your ranking and that is what determines who is taken from the hold/accept list. I could be wrong but perhaps @Talldoctor96 can confirm

What I don’t understand is why the best chance of being accepted is the first day after one’s interview. Isn’t it somewhat reasonable to assume that those who get invited to interview earlier have a higher application score on average? So when the first batch of acceptances go out, the high but not super high application scores move to the top?

Or is it a law of large numbers thing? Maybe there will always be some very high application scores regardless of interview date.
I just think it’s the way they do it ya know? Like purely speculating but they just probably prioritize those kids.

just got the R four hours after being moved to subcommittee review lol. good luck to everyone else still in it :) happy thanksgiving

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
question- their website makes it seem like they don't accept additional materials, but i interviewed in September and didn't get in the first round. do we think i am able to email a letter of interest?

Recently got moved to subcommittee .. OOS, complete 8/18

After you pay the $100 fee deposit do you also have to fill out the matriculation form to get the computer eID or will that come later?

just got put on hold for A. interviewed early November

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to give an update, I submitted my secondary in July, got moved to subcommittee a couple months ago, and got marked complete sometime in the past week. No idea why this took such a long time but I guess they didn't actually forget me!

congrats to all that got that A! quick question: I was placed on file review complete around a month ago and haven't heard back. has anyone sent a pre-ii update letter to them/do they accept pre-ii updates through email? i don't see anything on the portal and i can't find a definitive answer on their website. thanks!!

My interview was supposed to be this Tuesday but I withdrew my application from consideration last week. Hopefully it goes to one of you fine people. Best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Was supposed to have a Tuesday interview as well and just withdrew!

I thought mine went well, within top 3 of interviews I’ve done and didn’t get in so I don’t think it’s possible to assess and I doubt it actually counts for that much

They review your entire file for committee review score 1-5 so it’s not like the interview willl make or break you (at least in my opinion)
Maybe they saw things differently

Maybe they saw things differently
Perhaps, but I like to think that I’m a better than average judge of my interview performance after so many past job interviews. Usually, I can predict when I’ll make the next round and when I won’t. Maybe it doesn’t translate as well to med school interviews.

Perhaps, but I like to think that I’m a better than average judge of my interview performance after so many past job interviews. Usually, I can predict when I’ll make the next round and when I won’t. Maybe it doesn’t translate as well to med school interviews.
I feel like after the interview, there’s no real telling where it’s headed. A good interview doesn’t necessarily mean you will get in or a bad interview doesn’t mean you won’t get in.

Got an II just now for tomorrow, LM 76 Canadian. Wondering if these early December interview dates will be hearing back on Dec 16th too?
Wow - that's a short time b/w II and interview!

Got an II just now for tomorrow, LM 76 Canadian. Wondering if these early December interview dates will be hearing back on Dec 16th too?
Congrats fellow Canadian!

You most likely will hear back on Dec 16th. They will meet the Monday (someone correct me if I am wrong) following your interview to discuss your file and vote.

Best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Wow - just got the pre-II R. Complete early September.

Went right from member of committee to R.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
You don’t get a notification (or at least I didn’t) when I went committee —> subcommittee so a lot of people probably just miss it due to not checking portal.

You don’t get a notification (or at least I didn’t) when I went committee —> subcommittee so a lot of people probably just miss it due to not checking portal.
Checked a few hours ago after weeks of just giving up hope on the sub comm and lo and behold, I'm on the sub comm now!

Pre-II R just now, complete late August, LM 70

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
the way I remember the admissions people explaining it on the interview day was that the Monday after your interview, the committee will meet to review your application. They will then give you a score and if you meet above a certain threshold, you will be a "hold for acceptance" - bascially means they have not decided to reject you. That also means that on the next decision release dates, you may get an acceptance but this is not guaranteed - you might not hear nothing at all until March when you get waitlisted

Hi! Just wondering what it means to be put on hold for A? I also thought they only make decisions on certain dates?
Exactly. Everyone whom they consider for an A will be put on hold until those decision dates - the next one is December 16th!

To be honest, I think that everybody gets put on hold because I couldn’t find a single post II R in like 5 years of threads

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard anecdotally of people getting Rs - a few friends of mine go to VCU and have heard about this from M4s there but it is not very common

Do you all think decisions will update on the portal after today? For example, those who were accepted would see tabs?