-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Virginia Commonwealth
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is this a committee or sub-committee? Complete 8/11:
Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE to check on your status. Your status is updated in the portal for your review at all times.
That is committeeIs this a committee or sub-committee? Complete 8/11:
Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE to check on your status. Your status is updated in the portal for your review at all times.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KooCie Doctor
Full Member
Isn't everyone on hold as of right now? On interview day, they said decisions wouldn't really be released until October 16. October 1 for Early Decision.Just to clarify: every person that interviews goes in front of the executive committee 2 or 3 days later usually the Friday or Monday after. There you are voted on 1-5 by like 40 people. 1 is best. At this point, the only people rejected are people that flat out failed the interview. Which is maybe 1 person or something like that if that per interview day.
my point is: the vast majority of applicants get on hold for A / WL. All this means is that you didn’t fail the interview it gives no actual indication on your chances for acceptance.
KooCie Doctor
Full Member
MMIs like VCU are generally completely closed. Unless you are interviewing for fmSTAT, which is open file, your interviewers never read your app.Does anyone know if the interviews are open-file here?
Rejections are released before then, a few post II R have probably already been sent out. It’s if you fail the interview.Isn't everyone on hold as of right now? On interview day, they said decisions wouldn't really be released until October 16. October 1 for Early Decision.
KooCie Doctor
Full Member
That makes sense. So a hold at this point meant you did not completely bomb the interview enough that you would be rejected.Rejections are released before then, a few post II R have probably already been sent out. It’s if you fail the interview.
Yeah but its also a great accomplishment!!That makes sense. So a hold at this point meant you did not completely bomb the interview enough that you would be rejected.
Has anyone written a thank you letter? Not sure how to go about this
Can anyone advise on whether I should address a singular W from my first semester freshman year in response to secondary Qs 2 or 3? I retook the class the following year and got an A and otherwise my GPA is a 3.92. The W was related to recovery from a concussion which I discussed in my personal statement (just not in regards to the W specifically). I just don't want to draw attention to it unnecessarily. Thank you in advance 🙂
Nah.Can anyone advise on whether I should address a singular W from my first semester freshman year in response to secondary Qs 2 or 3? I retook the class the following year and got an A and otherwise my GPA is a 3.92. The W was related to recovery from a concussion which I discussed in my personal statement (just not in regards to the W specifically). I just don't want to draw attention to it unnecessarily. Thank you in advance 🙂
I’ve been on member of committee for about a month now. I don’t know how to feel about it.anybody is on subcommittee for almost a month now?
Me too!!I’ve been on member of committee for about a month now. I don’t know how to feel about it.
KooCie Doctor
Full Member
I am not sure how to write thank you notes for MMIs. I thanked my fmSTAT interviewers because since it is a small program and it doesn't affect my direct admission to school since I have to be admitted to the school first.Has anyone written a thank you letter? Not sure how to go about this
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not on their app portal anyway, don't think they take emails eitherDoes VCU take update letters?
I've been on a sub-committee since at least 8/5. Submitted my app on 7/22.anybody is on subcommittee for almost a month now?
lupomed123
Full Member
For those keeping track, I just moved from a member of the committe to sub-comittee. Complete 7/10, ORM, Int
No email, moved to subcommittee 8/8, finally moved on today:
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal with directions for scheduling. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.
Is this bad news/means they are going to reject bc they didn’t offer an interview?
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal with directions for scheduling. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (VCU SOM) is now incorporating the American Professional Health Sciences (CSP10101) CASPer test as a part of its holistic review process. All applicants wishing to be considered at VCU SOM are required to complete this assessment in addition to the AMCAS application. For the 2022 cycle, Casper results will be utilized as part of the decision to extend interview invitations. Test dates can be found at Welcome to TakeAltus - TakeAltus. To sign up for CASPer, go to www.takecasper.com
Is this bad news/means they are going to reject bc they didn’t offer an interview?Still not even on subcommittee 🙄
Completed 8/8 but nothing yet 🙁
cyclistdoc
Full Member
Also moved from committee to subcommittee at some point over the long weekend!For those keeping track, I just moved from a member of the committe to sub-comittee. Complete 7/10, ORM, Int
No, this just means they finished reviewing your file. The portal will be updated again with either an II or R. Mine updated the next day but some people had to wait a week or so.
What this means is that your file has reached the terminal stage of review. You received a file score from subcommittee: that score if over the threshold for interview - will mean you get an interview.No email, moved to subcommittee 8/8, finally moved on today:
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal with directions for scheduling. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (VCU SOM) is now incorporating the American Professional Health Sciences (CSP10101) CASPer test as a part of its holistic review process. All applicants wishing to be considered at VCU SOM are required to complete this assessment in addition to the AMCAS application. For the 2022 cycle, Casper results will be utilized as part of the decision to extend interview invitations. Test dates can be found at Welcome to TakeAltus - TakeAltus. To sign up for CASPer, go to www.takecasper.com
Is this bad news/means they are going to reject bc they didn’t offer an interview?
This is a GOOD stage to be at. You are no longer floating in the unknown.
What this means is that your file has reached the terminal stage of review. You received a file score from subcommittee: that score if over the threshold for interview - will mean you get an interview.
This is a GOOD stage to be at. You are no longer floating in the unknown.
Thank you! Yes like at least they moved me along, I hadn't checked for a while but I am assuming I moved through the next stage and then to this, when I wasn't checking
Yes, you didn’t hit one of their minimums maybe service. Sorry!Just got a pre-secondary R after getting the "app received" notification yesterday. OOS non-trad (no state ties), 514 MCAT, near-perfect post-bacc GPA, five figure clinical hours, 150+ hrs of community service, very solid LORs (as part of committee letter)...do pre-secondary Rs happen often here?
For those keeping track but are OOS, I was complete 8/11, ORM and still have yet to be moved to a sub-committeeFor those keeping track, I just moved from a member of the committee to a sub-committee. Complete 8/14, ORM, IS
+1, you aren't alone in this. OOS complete 07/09For those keeping track but are OOS, I was complete 8/11, ORM and still have yet to be moved to a sub-committee
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
member of committee ---> subcommittee ---> admissions committee ---> file review complete ----> interview inviteSorry for the inconvenience, but could anyone explain what the different stages are? I submitted back around mid-August and it still says a member of the committee will review my application. Thank you!
NaKATPase413
ORM, CA RESIDENT, LM 76.7, WARS 79 (Readjusted)
Does everyone eventually move to subcommittee or do people get rejected between "member of the committee" and "subcommittee"?
HatefulGrape
Full Member
pretty sure you get moved to subcommittee unless there is deficiency in you applicationDoes everyone eventually move to subcommittee or do people get rejected between "member of the committee" and "subcommittee"?
Has anyone been on "file review complete" for some time now? got my update 8/24
Hey guys! I was put on "file review complete... if you are granted interview... blah blah" yesterday, and was wondering (for those got II), how long approximately it took until you got an II? Also, has there been anyone yet who was rejected after getting that message?
HatefulGrape
Full Member
within a week or so I received my IIHey guys! I was put on "file review complete... if you are granted interview... blah blah" yesterday, and was wondering (for those got II), how long approximately it took until you got an II? Also, has there been anyone yet who was rejected after getting that message?
KooCie Doctor
Full Member
I got my interview a week after I got this notification.Hey guys! I was put on "file review complete... if you are granted interview... blah blah" yesterday, and was wondering (for those got II), how long approximately it took until you got an II? Also, has there been anyone yet who was rejected after getting that message?
did anyone who interviewed 9/2 get a portal update other than "your interview is now complete?"
HatefulGrape
Full Member
Interviewed some time before 9/2 but have the same portal updatedid anyone who interviewed 9/2 get a portal update other than "your interview is now complete?"
Good to know I saw someone on the thread got the on hold for possible acceptance update so I was being neuroticInterviewed some time before 9/2 but have the same portal update
Just moved to sub-committee review! Complete since 07/09. I guess there's hope for us out there haha
Hey guys! I have been on "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview..." since mid-July now. It seems like a lot of people are getting interviews soon after having their portal change to this, but not me. Is this a bad sign? Does anyone know of how this turned out in previous cycles?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We cannot tell you if its a good or bad sign. All it means is you have reached the terminal stage of your review and have a score. That score has yet to meet the threshold of earning a II. Thats all it means. Any speculation beyond that is impossible.Hey guys! I have been on "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview..." since mid-July now. It seems like a lot of people are getting interviews soon after having their portal change to this, but not me. Is this a bad sign? Does anyone know of how this turned out in previous cycles?
Still on committee here lol and complete 7/14Just moved to sub-committee review! Complete since 07/09. I guess there's hope for us out there haha
JungusFungus
New Member
Just got the "placed on hold for possible acceptance," so I'm guessing this is a normal message to see?Good to know I saw someone on the thread got the on hold for possible acceptance update so I was being neurotic
neuriobioliogy
Full Member
+1 lolJust got the "placed on hold for possible acceptance," so I'm guessing this is a normal message to see?
AriAtoll
Full Member
Same!Just got the "placed on hold for possible acceptance," so I'm guessing this is a normal message to see?