2021-2022 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly could just be your reviewer(s) being busy and not having gotten to your app yet.
I wonder how many schools have one person read your application first. That one person would determine how fast you get processed then. It's nice how transparent VCU is, helps me understand the process more.

Members don't see this ad.

II received - I'm so happy! LM ~72, was on file review complete status for several days. ORM. Heavy service app. Available dates from Sept onward.

Reactions: 10 users
How long did it take to receive secondary after being verified? Considering adding this school last minute

Members don't see this ad :)
R - 8/17. Canadian, Kinda bummed VCU was one of the very few Canadian friendly schools.

Edit: App completed 7/22. Does anyone have insight as to what my early R could mean? A possible red-flag? Poor essay response? I believe I met all the minimum stats and EC hour requirements.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
R - 8/17. Canadian, Kinda bummed VCU was one of the very few Canadian friendly schools.

Edit: App completed 7/22. Does anyone have insight as to what my early R could mean? A possible red-flag? Poor essay response? I believe I met all the minimum stats and EC hour requirements.
So did you ever go through the subcommittee/committee?
Not like any specific subcommittee (not fmstat or anything) - but my app went through the normal cycle of member of admissions --> subcommittee --> admissions committee --> file review complete --> II
Thanks!

Still on a member of the committee will review your application... :(

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get an email, but my portal is suddenly:

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.​

I thought others received an email when they had a status change, shouldI be alarmed I didn't. I was "a member of the committee will review your application" for a long time. Complete: 7/8/21

I didn't get an email, but my portal is suddenly:

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.​

I thought others received an email when they had a status change, shouldI be alarmed I didn't. I was "a member of the committee will review your application" for a long time. Complete: 7/8/21
It’ll probably come in a few minutes or so, it seems this is just another stage of review. For reference I haven’t moved from a member of committee stage and I was complete around the same time.

It’ll probably come in a few minutes or so, it seems this is just another stage of review. For reference I haven’t moved from a member of committee stage and I was complete around the same time.
Okay thanks just guess I’m like worried bc they didn’t tell me so maybe they r like she sucks so let’s not tell her

Also can you get rejected and or paused after subcommittee or does everybody go from subcommittee to committee?

Guys I am honestly so confused. Can someone help? I just got the "your portal updated" email and now my portal says this:

APPLICATION STATUS
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (VCU SOM) is now incorporating the American Professional Health Sciences (CSP10101) CASPer test as a part of its holistic review process. All applicants wishing to be considered at VCU SOM are required to complete this assessment in addition to the AMCAS application. For the 2021 cycle, Casper results will be utilized as part of the decision to extend interview invitations. Test dates can be found at Welcome to TakeAltus | TakeAltus. To sign up for CASPer, go to www.takecasper.com

So they finished reviewing my file??? AND? Hello i'm dying in suspense here how are you going to do this to me lol :,)

Guys I am honestly so confused. Can someone help? I just got the "your portal updated" email and now my portal says this:

APPLICATION STATUS
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (VCU SOM) is now incorporating the American Professional Health Sciences (CSP10101) CASPer test as a part of its holistic review process. All applicants wishing to be considered at VCU SOM are required to complete this assessment in addition to the AMCAS application. For the 2021 cycle, Casper results will be utilized as part of the decision to extend interview invitations. Test dates can be found at Welcome to TakeAltus | TakeAltus. To sign up for CASPer, go to www.takecasper.com

So they finished reviewing my file??? AND? Hello i'm dying in suspense here how are you going to do this to me lol :,)
I just got that too! I guess they finished a bunch and will send more R’s and interviews soon.

I just got that too! I guess they finished a bunch and will send more R’s and interviews soon.
Ok good, so just a "your fate has been decided. We won't tell you what fate yet tho". Cool cool cool I'm calm yep not my top choice or anything, I am suuuper chill about this

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently I moved to sub-committee today. Never received an email. I was complete 7/19.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who got the review complete email, when were you complete?
I got the review complete portal update and was complete July 21st, In state, 515 Mcat, 3.8 GPA, but my application was on hold for about a week while they clarified something so idk if that changed the timeline somehow

I got the review complete portal update and was complete July 21st, In state, 515 Mcat, 3.8 GPA, but my application was on hold for about a week while they clarified something so idk if that changed the timeline somehow
Thanks for the reply! I submitted 7/13 but I'm still on the member of committee :(

Gonna start assuming being stuck on "member of the committee" after an early submission (07/16) means a soft R. Don't see why the individual member would bother updating the status if they tossed my app. Doesn't seem like any Rs have been sent out apart from instate or stat screens yet anyway

Gonna start assuming being stuck on "member of the committee" after an early submission (07/16) means a soft R. Don't see why the individual member would bother updating the status if they tossed my app. Doesn't seem like any Rs have been sent out apart from instate or stat screens yet anyway
I am IS and have been stuck on "member of the committee" since 07/09, when my secondary was marked complete. I believe they are just being strategic on how they are moving through applications. It may be that our reviewer has not had time to get to our applications yet. I believe VCU would provide a status update either way. Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 5 users
First rejection lmao. And I literally submitted my secondary a week ago. I think it’s bc I sat on the secondary for like a month. Good luck to the rest of you!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users

Not really. I remember people getting IIs during my first cycle without moving to that “sub committee”

This process takes a while and VCU is a lot of people’s favorite. So you are not out until they tell you (and they admirably are not shy about telling you that)

It’s possible that some people may not know when they move because you don’t always get an email about changes from subcommittee to committee etc.

First rejection lmao. And I literally submitted my secondary a week ago. I think it’s bc I sat on the secondary for like a month. Good luck to the rest of you!
What stage were you on prior to the R if you don’t mind my asking

My portal says file review is complete but I have not received an interview invite yet. Does this mean I am on pre-interview hold? Or just that they haven't gotten to the point where they would II or R my application?

My portal says file review is complete but I have not received an interview invite yet. Does this mean I am on pre-interview hold? Or just that they haven't gotten to the point where they would II or R my application?
Ok good, so just a "your fate has been decided. We won't tell you what fate yet tho". Cool cool cool I'm calm yep not my top choice or anything, I am suuuper chill about this
Lol this sounds like where you're at.

I was sitting at member of the committee for a while (since 7/19), and sometime in the last few days was updated to subcommittee. It's still early in the cycle, no need to assume anything yet. You never know what is happening in the background :)

been on subcommittee for over a week now

Been stuck on member of the committee since 7/30. Anyone in a similar situation? Hopefully they don’t pass me over.

Reactions: 4 users
So when is VCU going to notify us about the "decision that has been made?" Lmao

Reactions: 3 users
Do people get rejected after the final step (committee review) or just left on that status for the whole cycle

I'm now on the sub-committee review (complete early July; no email notification)

Is it possible that they put "file review complete" when they are going to give an interview because they want to release the sign-up spots in waves, but then with R's they don't wait for anything so you can receive an R at any point? Is there any data point that goes against this trend to disprove it, ie has anyone been rejected after being stuck on "file review complete" for a few days? From what I see on this thread, 3/3 people who had that notice received interviews but obviously that's a small sample size and I haven't looked at the thread from last year.

Do you mind me asking what day were you rejected? And did you have a "file review complete" notice for a few days before receiving the R? So sorry about that but I know you will find the med school that is the best fit for you, its still suuuper early in the cycle. sending you good vibes <3

Is it possible that they put "file review complete" when they are going to give an interview because they want to release the sign-up spots in waves, but then with R's they don't wait for anything so you can receive an R at any point? Is there any data point that goes against this trend to disprove it, ie has anyone been rejected after being stuck on "file review complete" for a few days? From what I see on this thread, 3/3 people who had that notice received interviews but obviously a small sample size.
I’ve seen it in past threads but I’m not sure which cycle. I’m kind of tempted to write a web scraping script for sdn school-specific threads to track outcomes like this but I haven’t gotten to it yet

II today! submitted secondary on 7/6 and marked "complete" (i.e. status on portal saying my review with the admissions committee was complete) on 8/14

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
II today! submitted secondary on 7/6 and marked "complete" (i.e. status on portal saying my review with the admissions committee was complete) on 8/14
Same for me!!!! II today and around the same dates. In-state.