2021-2022 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Would 2-3 people be interested in editing and reviewing each other's essays (can be just for Wayne or other schools as well)? I would some constructive feedback on my writing and would provide the same :)
Me me me please if you haven't already found someone

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think the "information gap" has to be pandemic-related? Or just talk about how we experienced one in general in one of our experiences or something like that? The wording is kinda confusing lol

Do you guys think the "information gap" has to be pandemic-related? Or just talk about how we experienced one in general in one of our experiences or something like that? The wording is kinda confusing lol
I had the same question. "one such gap" is making me think they want it to be pandemic-related but Im really struggling with this one

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question. "one such gap" is making me think they want it to be pandemic-related but Im really struggling with this one
I initially interpreted it as being unrelated to the pandemic. Then i had a friend read the question, and she interpreted it the other way. So i asked a bunch of people to read it - most (7 of 9) interpreted it as asking about a pandemic specific gap

I initially interpreted it as being unrelated to the pandemic. Then i had a friend read the question, and she interpreted it the other way. So i asked a bunch of people to read it - most (7 of 9) interpreted it as asking about a pandemic specific gap
yes that's what i think they're aiming for like this question is probably their "COVID" question for this cycle

For this question: "Please answer if you have had a gap between completion of your undergraduate degree and applying to medical school (career change, re-applicant, etc.) What have you done during the interval since graduation or your previous application? How does that experience or activity relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you."

Should we answer if we graduated in Spring '21 and will be taking a gap year until (hopeful) matriculation in Fall '22? The way this is worded makes it sound as though this can only be answered by those who have >1 gap year. Could I still use this space to describe my plans for this upcoming year?

For this question: "Please answer if you have had a gap between completion of your undergraduate degree and applying to medical school (career change, re-applicant, etc.) What have you done during the interval since graduation or your previous application? How does that experience or activity relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you."

Should we answer if we graduated in Spring '21 and will be taking a gap year until (hopeful) matriculation in Fall '22? The way this is worded makes it sound as though this can only be answered by those who have >1 gap year. Could I still use this space to describe my plans for this upcoming year?
You can mention what you plan to do but I think this is geared towards reapplicants and those who had a gap year already (not those going into one).

Hi all! I did a postbacc and I saw in previous threads that Wayne State has a specific process for GPA replacement with the most recent 20 credit hours. Do we have to specifically indicate this somewhere or do they automatically do this?

What is the maximum number of letters of recommendation that Wayne takes? Sorry if I am not sending this to the right spot first time using SDN

What is the maximum number of letters of recommendation that Wayne takes? Sorry if I am not sending this to the right spot first time using SDN
I don't see a max listed on their website, just the requested 3.

I don't see a max listed on their website, just the requested 3.

Same! I emailed them a while back as well with no response. Should I just not send anything beyond the 3 requested? Even if I would like to send more?

MSAR indicates that they have a max of 10. Sending a few over the minimum should be perfectly fine

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the leadership question, are you guys answering it generally or incorporating anecdotes?

Due to the low character limit, I answered it generally. I thought about incorporating an anecdote, but I felt as though I couldn't talk about it in-depth enough while also answering the prompt

Reactions: 2 users
Due to the low character limit, I answered it generally. I thought about incorporating an anecdote, but I felt as though I couldn't talk about it in-depth enough while also answering the prompt
I did the same thing as well

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know how course waivers work here? Their website says they give them out in "unusual instances and at the discretion of Adcoms, provided one has an exceptional academic record." When I prodded them further, they said that the associate dean makes the ultimate decision for course waivers and that they couldn't predict what they'd do in my situation. I don't know what to make of this; I was just wondering if I could've gotten a waiver for orgo 2, but the ambiguous responses don't seem to be a good sign. I really love how clinically involved the school is, but not sure if I'd just be making a donation if I did apply at this point.

anyone know when the first invites and rejections are sent out?

anyone know when the first invites and rejections are sent out?
I saw some people post that Wayne State rejected them within a few days of receiving their secondary. If you already submitted (completed) and a few business days have passed without hearing from them, I think that might be a good sign.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I saw some people post that Wayne State rejected them within a few days of receiving their secondary. If you already submitted (completed) and a few business days have passed without hearing from them, I think that might be a good sign.
Oh wow! They sent invites like late October last year I think, so probably going to be the same this year right?

Oh wow! They sent invites like late October last year I think, so probably going to be the same this year right?
MSAR says that first interview invites are sent out in July, but the accuracy of that is somewhat in the air.

Where did you see that people were getting Rs?

omg can u give more details abt people being rejected after submitting their secondary

According to the SDN interview tracker, it seems people are getting interview invites. I'm assuming they are for EDP though.

According to the SDN interview tracker, it seems people are getting interview invites. I'm assuming they are for EDP though.
yeah on wayne's tracker they sent out 27 interview invites! Wow last year they sent out edp invites during september so this year seems really efficient

• Wow
It's so scary that someone got the R pre-II this early on :/

omg can u give more details abt people being rejected after submitting their secondary
if you go to the SDN interview tracker and click the "outcome" tab at the bottom, you can see one poor soul who already submitted their data. I've been following r/premed, and some people who submitted their 2º got a rejection the next day. Wayne State probably skims through your essays to see if they are way off of their mission, and if so then send an R. Personally I like that, since I'd rather know sooner rather than later if I'm rejected.

Where did you see that people were getting Rs?
reddit on r/premed, and at least one person reported an R the day after 2º submission on the SDN tracker "outcomes" tab

For " Please answer if you have had a gap between completion of your undergraduate degree and applying to medical school (career change, re-applicant, etc.) What have you done during the interval since graduation or your previous application? How does that experience or activity relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you."

If you graduated in 2021, and applied to Medical school do we write N/A to this? Or is the year of the application process considered a gap?

For " Please answer if you have had a gap between completion of your undergraduate degree and applying to medical school (career change, re-applicant, etc.) What have you done during the interval since graduation or your previous application? How does that experience or activity relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you."

If you graduated in 2021, and applied to Medical school do we write N/A to this? Or is the year of the application process considered a gap?

It’s a gap

Anyone else run into this issue on Wayne's secondary portal? It says "Your Session will expire in [x] seconds." And when I click "Stay Logged in," it still boots me out after a couple seconds. I am a liiiiitle worried :oops:

1627103501396.png

EDIT - it was apparently an issue with the timezone set on my PC. After I fixed it the issue disappeared!

Last edited:
Did WSU send out interviews already? Their admission tracker is at 34 interview requests sent out currently.

• Wow
Is the ADCOM out of office/on break right now? I'm trying to email them about a prerequisite but keep getting an automated email saying they're still helping out applicants remotely, with no response in over a week. If so, anyone know when they'll be back?

Is the ADCOM out of office/on break right now? I'm trying to email them about a prerequisite but keep getting an automated email saying they're still helping out applicants remotely, with no response in over a week. If so, anyone know when they'll be back?
They're slow in general with emails. Try calling during the day, maybe one of the front desk staff can answer.