2021-2022 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2021-2022 Wayne State Secondary Essay Prompts: (1250 characters each essay)

1. What characteristics and qualities are necessary for successful leadership? Do you think all physicians should be leaders? Please discuss your reasons.

2. During the pandemic we frequently encounter information gaps. Discuss one such gap and how you went about gathering and using the information you found. How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?

3. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how.

4. Please answer if you have had a gap between completion of your undergraduate degree and applying to medical school (career change, re-applicant, etc.) What have you done during the interval since graduation or your previous application? How does that experience or activity relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you.

5. If you are NOT a US citizen or Canadian citizen, please list any US visas. Please note, non-Canadian international applicants are only eligible for admission if they have completed a degree at Wayne State University. International applicants are NOT eligible for federal student financial aid and must provide proof of funding prior to matriculation.
5b. If you are NOT a US citizen or Canadian citizen, upload a copy of current US visa(s), including Permanent Residency card (Green card).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems like Wayne changes prompts yearly, what are we thinking the chances are of any staying the same?

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like Wayne changes prompts yearly, what are we thinking the chances are of any staying the same?
Not just yearly, but they even swapped them out at the midpoint of the last cycle. So...likely none.

As an aside to all: I'm an incoming M1 from Northern Ohio if anyone will have questions closer to late Fall.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone submitted their primary apps and received the secondary essay questions for the 2021-2022 cycle?

Medicalschoolhq's secondary prompts don't seem to be the same as the ones posted in last year's SDN thread. Would it be wise to prewrite those too or are y'all just holding off until you get the secondary?

Medicalschoolhq's secondary prompts don't seem to be the same as the ones posted in last year's SDN thread. Would it be wise to prewrite those too or are y'all just holding off until you get the secondary?
those prompts posted seem to be very similar to the 2019-2020 cycle so i dont think they're legit. i think writing the general diversity, challenge, why us essays would help until we know more

Does anyone know how Wayne views high school activities? I'm debating whether to include an "artistic endeavor" experience but I'm worried it might be viewed badly because it's not very recent (although it was impactful and I can make a good case for this in my description)

Does anyone know how Wayne views high school activities? I'm debating whether to include an "artistic endeavor" experience but I'm worried it might be viewed badly because it's not very recent (although it was impactful and I can make a good case for this in my description)
i think it can't hurt to email admissions (if you can't find this info on their website). based on my opinion if it's something super impactful that you can explain well then i would include it! otherwise many adcoms might have concerns if it's not adding too much and if you lack other recent activities

Anyone receive secondaries yet from Wayne?

Secondaries could come a bit later. M1s start July 6th and admissions takes a bit of time to get the ball rolling.

Last year, they came out July 13th (3 days post-transmission, but after M1 started).

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I was looking to re-apply to Wayne State this year, but their MCAT average went up by like...a lot.

Like, three to four points from last year....

Reactions: 1 user
Man, I was looking to re-apply to Wayne State this year, but their MCAT average went up by like...a lot.

Did they release their class of 2025 class profile? I can’t find it on their website

Also a reapplicant because of how bad WL movement was but they’re very holistic. So if u meet their mission and align well you should apply

Did they release their class of 2025 class profile? I can’t find it on their website

Op, I was actually looking at the 2024 one, my bad.
But also, this makes me worry even more for how this year's will look like...

what are the secondary questions please?

Reactions: 6 users
OOS Secondary Received Just now

Questions are @PapaGuava
1. What characteristics and qualities are necessary for successful leadership? Do you think all physicians should be leaders? Please discuss your reasons.

2. During the pandemic we frequently encounter information gaps. Discuss one such gap and how you went about gathering and using the information you found. How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?

3. Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how.

4. Please answer if you have had a gap between completion of your undergraduate degree and applying to medical school (career change, re-applicant, etc.) What have you done during the interval since graduation or your previous application? How does that experience or activity relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you.

5. If you are NOT a US citizen or Canadian citizen, please list any US visas. Please note, non-Canadian international applicants are only eligible for admission if they have completed a degree at Wayne State University. International applicants are NOT eligible for federal student financial aid and must provide proof of funding prior to matriculation.

• Love
What are they?
What characteristics and qualities are necessary for successful leadership? Do you think all physicians should be leaders? Please discuss your reasons. (1250 char)

During the pandemic we frequently encounter information gaps. Discuss one such gap and how you went about gathering and using the information you found. How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine? (1250 char)

Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how. (1250 char)

Please answer if you have had a gap between completion of your undergraduate degree and applying to medical school (career change, re-applicant, etc.) What have you done during the interval since graduation or your previous application? How does that experience or activity relate to your future career in medicine? Please mark N/A if this does not apply to you. (1250 char)

What are they?

5b. If you are NOT a US citizen or Canadian citizen, upload a copy of current US visa(s), including Permanent Residency card (Green card).

each question's 1250 characters

+1 last night (OOS) -- ugh they changed their responses from last year...

Last edited:
For those of you asking about what the "information gap" in question two is referring to: I believe it's talking about how we got frequent mixed messages from the very beginning of the pandemic. First it was about how contagious SARS-CoV-2 really was, then how effective (or ineffective mask wearing would be, the lingering question of the long-term effectiveness of vaccines in protecting us against the main strain of the coronavirus or any of the other strains, etc. Information gaps = holes in our knowledge of XYZ (be it the virus, vaccines, mask wearing,etc.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
I think the question is somewhat open for interpretation, as "information" is a wide net. I personally wrote about it from a different angle and think it still works well with the prompt. If you're confused, just experiment a little and see if it fits!

For the question about how your experiences align with their mission, are we supposed to focus on one thing? I was thinking about writing about clinical excellence but their mission is so broad I didn't know if that's enough.

For the question about how your experiences align with their mission, are we supposed to focus on one thing? I was thinking about writing about clinical excellence but their mission is so broad I didn't know if that's enough.
I have the same question. Also, is their focus solely on homeless populations? Their mission is community service, but is this community service mostly on the homeless?

Hi! Would 2-3 people be interested in editing and reviewing each other's essays (can be just for Wayne or other schools as well)? I would some constructive feedback on my writing and would provide the same :)

Hi! Would 2-3 people be interested in editing and reviewing each other's essays (can be just for Wayne or other schools as well)? I would some constructive feedback on my writing and would provide the same :)
I’d be down!

I have the same question. Also, is their focus solely on homeless populations? Their mission is community service, but is this community service mostly on the homeless?
I don’t think their mission is solely focused on that since it seemed pretty general. But since the school is in a very urban area (Detroit), serving the homeless is probably a major thing they’re invested in

I am <3
So relieved financially and mentally not writing 30 secondaries. Still a very yolo thing to do.
Last year there was a groupme for the EDP people so I think we should make one closer to August/September

I wanted to apply EDP but didn't meet their MCAT cutoff 😔

• Care
+1 OOS! Bunch of schools slid in my DMs after I got verified today lol

• Haha