2021-2022 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well now idek what to say lmaoo. I think I will give them a call now, maybe there is some part of my application that they didnt vibe with like my personal statement or something idk. I know it might be too late at this point considering people have already gotten accepted, but gotta shoot whatever shot I have.

Members don't see this ad :)
well now idek what to say lmaoo. I think I will give them a call now, maybe there is some part of my application that they didnt vibe with like my personal statement or something idk. I know it might be too late at this point considering people have already gotten accepted, but gotta shoot whatever shot I have.
Not even close. It’s still early in cycle for DO :)

Reactions: 1 user
anybody knows where to find post II yield for this school?

For anyone who has interviewed, are you supposed to join the Teams link at exactly your allotted interview time? Or do you join at the first interview time and wait in a "waiting room"?

For anyone who has interviewed, are you supposed to join the Teams link at exactly your allotted interview time? Or do you join at the first interview time and wait in a "waiting room"?
I joined at my assigned time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I received a secondary from this school despite having lower than avg stats and have been verified for over 6 weeks now, I was wondering if anyone had any input on this? Do I still have a shot at a II? Or should I assume that I've been rejected?

I've been stalking the SDN for a while now, but just decided to make an account lol, super interested in the school.

Hi, I received a secondary from this school despite having lower than avg stats and have been verified for over 6 weeks now, I was wondering if anyone had any input on this? Do I still have a shot at a II? Or should I assume that I've been rejected?

I've been stalking the SDN for a while now, but just decided to make an account lol, super interested in the school.
This school screens heavily from everything that I’ve seen, so the fact that you got a secondary means that you have a good chance of receiving an II at some point.

By verified do you mean complete? I’m in the exact same boat as you. Been waiting since early August.
Yeah, I've been complete for a while now, a bit earlier than you even. Thinking that they're backed up because of the hurricane, etc. But my neuroticism is telling me otherwise haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else gave an interview yesterday ? They mentioned that decisions will be out mid October. Wondering if they are still telling over the phone?

To applicants that have interviewed please share pointers! Thank you and good luck to everyone that is expecting the decision and or waiting to be interviewed

Congratulations! Please share about your interview experience? What to focus on in preparation?
It was so chill and they were very welcoming. They asked why them, why DO, things about my experience, what traits I think physicians should have and the last question was an ethical one

Has anyone who interviewed on 8/27 received a decision? And those who have received a decision, did they call you or did you reach out to them?

For those that interviewed? How long was your interview? Did they let you ask questions? Was it at the beginning or end of your interview?

For those that interviewed? How long was your interview? Did they let you ask questions? Was it at the beginning or end of your interview?

I think they say it can go up to half an hour, but iirc mine was 15 mins tops. Seems like they already had a predetermined decision on my app and just wanted to confirm that who I am as a person matches who I am on paper. I had plenty of opportunities and time to ask questions after the interview and was accepted. Lmk if you have further questions!

Reactions: 4 users
I think they say it can go up to half an hour, but iirc mine was 15 mins tops. Seems like they already had a predetermined decision on my app and just wanted to confirm that who I am as a person matches who I am on paper. I had plenty of opportunities and time to ask questions after the interview and was accepted. Lmk if you have further questions!
Thank you for your reply and Congratulations on the acceptance!!! Did you have 2 or 3 faculty members interview you simultaneously?

Thank you for your reply and Congratulations on the acceptance!!! Did you have 2 or 3 faculty members interview you simultaneously?

Thanks! Yes, two interviewed me together. Super relaxed interview and very standard questions. I didn't find it as conversational as my other interviews -- it was definitely a question-answer-question-answer exchange -- but it didn't end up being a bad thing tbh. They were friendly and I was concise. And it worked out in the end

so do we call them in 2 weeks post II? I don't wanna seem like I'm rushing them. did you guys call them or waited for them to contact you?

has anyone (this cycle) gotten an II without having done the casper test yet?

oh nevermind then.. I had emailed the admissions office a while after submitting my secondary bc I had not received a complete email and they responded they were waiting for my casper. odd
I think that’s dependent on the applicant. Higher stat applicants won’t need casper whereas lower ones will need it for the holistic approach. My guess

Just got an invite yesterday. Complete July 27, 3.9x gpa, and below average MCAT. Also bottom casper quartile. I hope this gives hope to any of you waiting.

Has anyone received a post-interview Waitlist or Rejected decision?

Last edited:
Has anyone received a post-interview Waitlist or Rejected decision?

LOL Ignore my neuroticism folks. Just got the wonderful news a few minutes ago.

Accepted: Canadian ORM, WARS score of 88, LizzyM of 76. II was last week. Excited to be joining the incoming 2022 class! Are there any FB/Slack pages for those who have been accepted? If so, I’d love to be added! :)

LOL Ignore my neuroticism folks. Just got the wonderful news a few minutes ago.

Accepted: Canadian ORM, WARS score of 88, LizzyM of 76. II was last week. Excited to be joining the incoming 2022 class! Are there any FB/Slack pages for those who have been accepted? If so, I’d love to be added! :)
Congrats, did they email you or did you call them?

Congrats, did they email you or did you call them?

I called Dr. Weir’s office who “guided” me onto the path that I got the A. They cannot officially send acceptance emails/snail mail until Oct 1st I believe!

I called Dr. Weir’s office who “guided” me onto the path that I got the A. They cannot officially send acceptance emails/snail mail until Oct 1st I believe!
Could you share Dr. Weir's office number, I can't seem to find it.

Oh yea I am interviewing in a few days. MCAT was a 503... Did I read they only send secondary apps to a 504 or 505+? Cause that is not the case for me although I am URM.

Just got in! I'm absolutely over the moon.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
does anybody have an idea on how residency match is gonna look like after making USMLE step1 and (COMLEX 1 next year) p/f? I wonder if the school rank is gonna be a huge factor in determining our matches 🤔

does anybody have an idea on how residency match is gonna look like after making USMLE step1 and (COMLEX 1 next year) p/f? I wonder if the school rank is gonna be a huge factor in determining our matches 🤔
Going to a more established school such as Carey will 100% be more beneficial than any of the brand new schools popping up. The more established the school the better. Rank isn’t a factor since all DO schools are looked at the same by ACGME program directors but schools that have graduated several classes have alumni networks, more research opportunities and have regional recognition as well as more GME for their grads as a fall back option. For example only 2/16 people at UIW in San Antonio matched Gen surgery last year, 0/5 apparently for ortho and 0/2 for derm. Staying away from brand new schools is the way to go, the rest of the more established ones, go with the cheapest school.

Reactions: 2 users
Going to a more established school such as Carey will 100% be more beneficial than any of the brand new schools popping up. The more established the school the better. Rank isn’t a factor since all DO schools are looked at the same by ACGME program directors but schools that have graduated several classes have alumni networks, more research opportunities and have regional recognition as well as more GME for their grads as a fall back option. For example only 2/16 people at UIW in San Antonio matched Gen surgery last year, 0/5 apparently for ortho and 0/2 for derm. Staying away from brand new schools is the way to go, the rest of the more established ones, go with the cheapest school.
thank you for your response and I agree with you. Do you know if students at Carey usually take the USMLE? I guess DO students usually take it to maximize their chances in residency match but do you think any of that is going to change after the p/f thing for Step 1? sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just trying to understand the changes that might happen lol

thank you for your response and I agree with you. Do you know if students at Carey usually take the USMLE? I guess DO students usually take it to maximize their chances in residency match but do you think any of that is going to change after the p/f thing for Step 1? sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just trying to understand the changes that might happen lol
I am not sure what the % of people taking step is but I would say North of 50-60% the administration does not dissuade anyone from taking step, if you pass the comsae you are able to register for step and comlex. So there isn’t anything else you have to do to take step. After it goes pass/fail there is no reason not to take it, since if you can pass comlex you more than likely can pass usmle(maybe not do well but just pass).

I am not sure what the % of people taking step is but I would say North of 50-60% the administration does not dissuade anyone from taking step, if you pass the comsae you are able to register for step and comlex. So there isn’t anything else you have to do to take step. After it goes pass/fail there is no reason not to take it, since if you can pass comlex you more than likely can pass usmle(maybe not do well but just pass).
that makes sense thank you!