2022-2023 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's highly variable. I was put on the UC list in November, AL in the spring, and finally got the A in July.
This might be a dumb question, but what’s the difference between the UC list vs. AL? I though there was really only one waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

This might be a dumb question, but what’s the difference between the UC list vs. AL? I though there was really only one waitlist
They used to have UC which ultimately became AL in the spring, but now it's just AL starting this cycle (or last cycle).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II last night at 7:00pm!? OOS, already have an IS A so probably will withdraw - good luck all!

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected. Submitted in like august.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
II JUST NOW!! IS & Asian, completed mid aug
For some odd reason when I was reading this and you put "Asian," that just made me giggle. Congratulations on the II. They get over 13000 applications and to even be considered for an II means they see something they like.

Pre-II R in my spam a few mins ago, completed mid-August, IS. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II JUST NOW!! IS & Asian, completed mid aug
For some odd reason when I was reading this and you put "Asian," that just made me giggle. Congratulations on the II. They get over 13000 applications and to even be considered for an II means they see something they like.
Honestly, this is so much more helpful than just putting ORM, since it seems like a lot of white applicants also consider themselves to be orm. The M stands for minority 🙄

Honestly, this is so much more helpful than just putting ORM, since it seems like a lot of white applicants also consider themselves to be orm. The M stands for minority 🙄
Omg okay thank you for clarifying that lol. I actually didn't know if it stands for Over/Under Represented Minority or Over/Under Represented in Medicine.

Honestly, this is so much more helpful than just putting ORM, since it seems like a lot of white applicants also consider themselves to be orm. The M stands for minority
Per AAMC Equity, diversity, and inclusion it's actually ____ represented in *medicine. I agree with your end point though, racially whites are close to represented population wise.

Per AAMC Equity, diversity, and inclusion it's actually ____ represented in *medicine. I agree with your end point though, racially whites are close to represented population wise.
Correct, whites are represented in medicine (RM):
rm.jpg

Correct, whites are represented in medicine (RM):
View attachment 365875
So then is every other race URM? I thought Asians were not counted as URM. Or is representation not JUST the percentage of medical students, but the percentage of medical students compared to the percentage of the overall population that race makes up?

So then is every other race URM? I thought Asians were not counted as URM. Or is representation not JUST the percentage of medical students, but the percentage of medical students compared to the percentage of the overall population that race makes up?
Race
Status
Asian
6.1​
17.1​
Overrepresented in Medicine​
Black
13.6​
5.0​
Underrepresented in Medicine​
Hispanic or Latino
18.9​
5.8​
Native American
1.3​
0.3​
Native Hawaiian
0.3​
0.1​
White
59.3​
56.2​
Represented in Medicine​

Reactions: 8 users
Feel free for anyone to chime in but my understanding is that you get into the semantics when discussing representation. It varies from one school to the next but my basic understanding is that the goal is to have practicing physicians be representative of the general population. I believe that a good example would be black men as under represented in medicine. It's been a while since I've looked at the numbers but I believe about 2% of practicing physicians are black men. Because about 6% of the population in the US identify as a black man, they are thus underrepresented in medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Race
Status
Asian
6.1​
17.1​
Overrepresented in Medicine​
Black
13.6​
5.0​
Hispanic or Latino
18.9​
5.8​
Native American
1.3​
0.3​
Native Hawaiian
0.3​
0.1​
White
59.3​
56.2​
Represented in Medicine​

Would love to see statistics like these expanded so we don’t lump together the entire Asian continent. But if I remember correctly you can specify on the primary.

Adcoms compositions themselves are probably lopsided with ORM(more asians of specific region as example), biases shows in interviews handed out to applicants and acceptances. Schools justify these selections as higher stats and so forth.

Omg okay thank you for clarifying that lol. I actually didn't know if it stands for Over/Under Represented Minority or Over/Under Represented in Medicine.
No problem! I think most ppl have the same issue, since the majority of WAMC posts identify themselves as ORM. I was like, "Have white kids not discovered sdn yet?" at first.

• Haha
Adcoms compositions themselves are probably lopsided with ORM(more asians of specific region as example), biases shows in interviews handed out to applicants and acceptances. Schools justify these selections as higher stats and so forth.
Wait I didn't fully understand what you're saying. Does this mean Asians have a harder time getting in because they need to compete with a higher stat pool and therefore need higher stats to receive a positive response?

Wait I didn't fully understand what you're saying. Does this mean Asians have a harder time getting in because they need to compete with a higher stat pool and therefore need higher stats to receive a positive response?
F

Can anyone shed a light on whether I should start worrying about Albany? I interviewed in September, was put on the AL in October, and haven't heard a peep since.

When Albany said 90% of the class comes from the AL, does it mostly consist of people who were taken off the AL before April or after April?

Can anyone shed a light on whether I should start worrying about Albany? I interviewed in September, was put on the AL in October, and haven't heard a peep since.

When Albany said 90% of the class comes from the AL, does it mostly consist of people who were taken off the AL before April or after April?
I wouldn't expect significant movement until the AMCAS traffic days. This goes for all schools.

Reactions: 4 users
what are you considering traffic days? 4/30?
Not OP but yeah 4/30 for commit to enroll is the main one. From prior year's threads it looks like there's a lot of movement the first week of May because people basically have to have their acceptances narrowed down to one. It also looks like there were some acceptances in the third and fourth week of February in years past. Hopefully that holds true this year too!

Unless adcom composition become equal weight from orm for a specific group/region within Asians, that specific group would continue to overwhelm Asian pool and be beneficiary in applicant interviews and acceptances and matriculations. Even though AMCAS publishes the ORM results each year, equal weight remedy is unlikely to occur in near future. Some colleges are better at this than others. People do not discuss much about adcom compositions but they eventually are decision makers in terms of interviews given out and acceptances. Keeping all else in consideration such as socio economic status, experiences, stats, and such of applicants.

M stands for medicine. Over/underrepresented in medicine.

II, OOS, complete mid July. LizzyM 67. Interview dates available for me were at the start of March!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Received II yesterday, wondering if it's even worth interviewing given that its so late in the application cycle

Received II yesterday, wondering if it's even worth interviewing given that its so late in the application cycle
Where do you guys get this stuff?

Where do you guys get this stuff?
it's a known fact that most medical schools operate on rolling admissions. so the later in the cycle you interview, the less of a chance you have of getting accepted.

it's a known fact that most medical schools operate on rolling admissions. so the later in the cycle you interview, the less of a chance you have of getting accepted.
Do you think you would have a better chance of admission if you did or did not interview? Is that your question? What do you mean is it worth it? If you are interested in the program in any way shape or form then it is obviously worth it..

Reactions: 18 users
Does anyone know if I'm supposed to get an email confirmation after scheduling my interview date? Just paranoid because this website looks like it was built 20 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I did not receive one! I did get additional info about five days after scheduling and even more a few days before the interview.

AL received via email this morning. Interviewed 1/30. LM 71. OOS. Shocked to receive decision this early since they told us 4-6 weeks and said likely would be 6 weeks.