2022-2023 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think Duke does rolling admissions. I think if you submit before late August or even mid-September, you should still be okay. But my best bet is always by mid to late August.
If duke doesn't do rolling admissions doesn't that mean you can submit anytime before secondary due date and It won't matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does duke med school use rolling admissions? I know Harvard isn't rolling so I am doing my Harvard secondary at the end. Should I do same for duke?
No they do not. I feel that if you want to be seen sooner and not get lost in the pile after all the other ones they have read, it would be best to submit sooner than later. They start offering interviews late August and if accepted they will physically call you in Feb.

No they do not. I feel that if you want to be seen sooner and not get lost in the pile after all the other ones they have read, it would be best to submit sooner than later. They start offering interviews late August and if accepted they will physically call you in Feb.
I don't think Duke does rolling admissions. I think if you submit before late August or even mid-September, you should still be okay. But my best bet is always by mid to late August.

I agree with with @Klk0529, submit now so that you're read earlier rather than later. Even though Duke doesn't send out acceptances on a rolling basis, I believe their admission process is still somewhat rolling. I listened to a podcast with the assoc dean of admissions who encouraged applicants to apply early because they can run out of interview slots before they finish reading all applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Duke med is pass/fail without internal rank for pre-clinical, and whether it's pass/fail for clerkships too now (I heard they were considering making clinicals pass/fail last year- what happened with that?)

My major was heavily concentrated on race and race relations. I was wondering if anything that wasn't common knowledge needed to be cited or how I would avoid writing stuff that would need to be cited.
I tried to generalize and avoided using any specific statistics. I don't really think medical schools intend to elicit the need for citations in their secondary questions, so I think if you can write as much as possible from memory and keep things broad you can probably avoid having to use them. If you have to, I would mention a title and author directly in your essay for flow. "So And So's book entitled Blank states that... "

Last edited:
I imagine quite a lot of people will have some overlap between the Coping with Disappointment and COVID essays. Since the disappointment essay comes first, what are the thoughts on saving words by saying something like "As discussed in the Disappointment essay..."?

One more essay and this beast is conquered. I told myself I'd finish this secondary no matter what it took. Tonight, it will be a done deal, as long as I don't fall asleep typing lol!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been sitting on my secondary for nearly a month unable to get the motivation to write it. Is it still worth submitting this late or do I give up and save the $100? Someone knock some sense into me either way lol

How are y'all approaching these 2 questions? These are the last ones I need to finish but drawing a blank.

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career? (400 words)

Tell us more about who you are. This is your opportunity to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)

How are y'all approaching these 2 questions? These are the last ones I need to finish but drawing a blank.

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career? (400 words)

Tell us more about who you are. This is your opportunity to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)
In the first one, I was lucky enough to join an antibiotic research lab that had a graduate student working on their graduation project and I was given my first task with them. Because the lab was busy I was left with lab manuals and protocols to break down and make them unique to the specific project. Left me thinking on my feet so many times.

The second one I have a religious faith so I spoke deeply about that and how developing my faith relates to health. It was something unique to me and how it contributed to my interest and pursuit of medicine.

For the first part, I discussed a very difficult patient story that required more than a simple solution to calm them down. I work as a patient assistant and there was a patient who was extremely aggressive, hitting and swearing without remorse (bruised nurses, biting etc). He tossed an IV pole at me in this story lmao. He was very difficult to understand since he had a developmental delay and I used the week leading up to this event (listening to words/syllables/sounds he would sing while we listened to the Beatles together, loved that band) to gather as much about him as possible. I had 4-5 tries with words/sentences before he got super angry. There were a bunch of other techniques and specific info that I brought together from my experience with him to resolve this intense situation. I really tried to integrate the critical thinking on it, I believe it worked.

I also do not have any research experience, so I could not fall onto that. Had to really think hard about what I wanted to put.

The tell us more section I discussed my childhood and growing up in a household where asking for support/emotional expression was shunned and how I have grown from that experience to be a more emotionally attentive person. Tried to make it very unique and brought in my diversity as a Canadian with Thai/English parents.

I've been sitting on my secondary for nearly a month unable to get the motivation to write it. Is it still worth submitting this late or do I give up and save the $100? Someone knock some sense into me either way lol
submit for sure! mine was camping in my inbox for a solid month and a half. You got this!

II just now! complete 07/14

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted this secondary after working on it for 7 weeks lets gooooo

Reactions: 4 users
For people interviewing on September 8th, our mandatory info session is tomorrow, right? I haven’t seen any extra emails with like Zoom links or info so I’m not 100% sure

Did anyone figure out how to access the Box?

EDIT: lol they just sent an email about it (Sept 6, 4:34 pm)

Last edited:
II received. So grateful and hopeful for us all. Those essays really gave me a beating...Submitted 7/19. Let's go guys!!

Reactions: 4 users
II received. So grateful and hopeful for us all. Those essays really gave me a beating...Submitted 7/19. Let's go guys!!
congrats buddy youre really raking them in today! You deserve it!

What are people wearing to the Sunday night student session event? I am not sure if it is actually casual or like business casual

What are people wearing to the Sunday night student session event? I am not sure if it is actually casual or like business casual
Business casual according to the email they sent out

Reactions: 1 users
Just realized that Duke doesn’t need to ask “Why Duke” in essays or their interview because their monstrous behemoth of a secondary sent later in the cycle does the job for them.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Just realized that Duke doesn’t need to ask “Why Duke” in essays or their interview because their monstrous behemoth of a secondary sent later in the cycle does the job for them.
Surprisingly, I haven't had any interviews so far that have directly asked (why X school). There were tons of secondaries that did tho

I genuinely wonder how many people were deterred bc of their secondaries. Like I'm so curious to know how many apps they have received so far compared to previous years lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users