You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Miami (Miller)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
People on last year's SDN thread received a notification on their portal saying their app had been scored around the middle of July, and then around Aug 10 people began to receive interview invites.any knowledge on when they start throwing the interviews?
What did you guys put for the "Behavioral sciences" prereq?
I am not sure which courses fall into humanities
I am not sure which courses fall into humanities
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing."
For the brief description, did you guys stick to a couple sentences or did you fill write to meet the 500 word count?
For the brief description, did you guys stick to a couple sentences or did you fill write to meet the 500 word count?
Definitely kept it brief and straightforward3. Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing."
For the brief description, did you guys stick to a couple sentences or did you fill write to meet the 500 word count?
Does anyone know what to do if you have overlap between the chronological lists? For example, I have clinical experiences that are also employment so not sure if I choose to keep it in only one? But it asks for chronological lists so I'm not sure because then would I need to repeat a brief description?
That's what I did and submitted it because I don't even know what a citizenship number isAnyone know if we can use our passport number for the naturalized citizen number question? I emailed but no response and can't seem to get in contact with a live person via phone.
The naturalized citizenship number is on the top of your Certificate of Naturalization (the one they give you when you take the oath of allegiance)Anyone know if we can use our passport number for the naturalized citizen number question? I emailed but no response and can't seem to get in contact with a live person via phone.
no reason you couldn't do that, since the AMCAS app limits the number of activity entries you could makeFor listing volunteer and medical activities, are you guys only listing the ones on your AMCAS application? I did more than that, and was thinking of listing them on the secondary because I have the room to do so
question 3 asks for a brief description and question 4 just asks for a list with the dates, so yes just follow their instructions.All just to be clear, we only provide descriptions of our activities when asked? Like we don't provide descriptions for volunteering and employment
D
deleted1140198
How much do they weigh casper in the decisions process/deciding who gets an II?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to confirm, when they ask for your composite MCAT score, they mean in one sitting and not a super-score, correct?
D
deleted1058452
Do we know if there is any rhyme or reason to when people get secondaries? Or is it just completely random?
I applied previously and only got a secondary in early August, but this cycle, I got my secondary in late June. Wondering if that's a good sign or nothing to read into
I applied previously and only got a secondary in early August, but this cycle, I got my secondary in late June. Wondering if that's a good sign or nothing to read into
Mango Hombre
New Member
For the research question, I have no previous experience working on official research. Should I mention that and show my interest in pursuing research opportunities at Miami Miller? I feel like I'm shooting myself in the leg here.
def do that! It shows that you put effort inFor the research question, I have no previous experience working on official research. Should I mention that and show my interest in pursuing research opportunities at Miami Miller? I feel like I'm shooting myself in the leg here.
showkayaker
Full Member
I believe the 3 spots are for people whos schools are on a quarter system, My school is on a semester system, so I followed the instructions and listed only the minFor the courses section, are you guys listing just the bare minimum needed or are you trying to fill up all 3 slots?
showkayaker
Full Member
For "Please briefly discuss your research experience", I discussed my experience and tied it to my future goals and UMiami, I was given advice by an advisor that "they don't ask about your goals, they ask about your experience." So should I remove the part about my future goals?
Did you list upper division courses over intro courses as they are more recent?I believe the 3 spots are for people whos schools are on a quarter system, My school is on a semester system, so I followed the instructions and listed only the min
Yeah I would remove the future goals, they aren't asking about that. It's just you providing some more information about your research backgroundFor "Please briefly discuss your research experience", I discussed my experience and tied it to my future goals and UMiami, I was given advice by an advisor that "they don't ask about your goals, they ask about your experience." So should I remove the part about my future goals?
showkayaker
Full Member
I put only intro idk thoDid you list upper division courses over intro courses as they are more recent?
showkayaker
Full Member
But my goals are connected to the research background, and tied directly to why I want to attend UMiami - IDK I guess I'm just very confused b/c I was trying to show fitYeah I would remove the future goals, they aren't asking about that. It's just you providing some more information about your research background
I would mention it that in the why Miami essayBut my goals are connected to the research background, and tied directly to why I want to attend UMiami - IDK I guess I'm just very confused b/c I was trying to show fit
scubadiver22
New Member
Does anyone know where we put lab courses if they are separate? The app says "* Do not enter lab courses in this prerequisites section," but I am not sure where else to put them. Thanks!
On MSAR under MCAT considerations, they put that they consider the highest total score.Just to confirm, when they ask for your composite MCAT score, they mean in one sitting and not a super-score, correct?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Superscoring would be cherry-picking your best sub scores from your MCAT tests.On MSAR under MCAT considerations, they put that they consider the highest total score. I might interpret that as super-scoring, no?
Highest total score = your 512 being better than your 509, even if you scored higher on the CARS sub score in your 509 attempt.
Got it. Thank you!Superscoring would be cherry-picking your best sub scores from your MCAT tests.
Highest total score = your 512 being better than your 509, even if you scored higher on the CARS sub score in your 509 attempt.
D
deleted1017183
Submitted 7/11
Last edited by a moderator:
If you hit the “watch” button for the Miami thread, you’ll be notified of new posts.Submitted 7/11
posting for thread-specific updates
D
deleted1017183
Hilarious. I tried looking for something to click to follow a thread but couldn't find anything. Thanks for pointing that out.If you hit the “watch” button for the Miami thread, you’ll be notified of new posts.
For "a description of your travel experience/activities involving sports", does that mean just a cut and dry description or are they looking for little stories and stuff? Also...is everyone filling the 500 word limit for questions that are asking for more than just a list?
tell a story! aka why you enjoy these thingsFor "a description of your travel experience/activities involving sports", does that mean just a cut and dry description or are they looking for little stories and stuff? Also...is everyone filling the 500 word limit for questions that are asking for more than just a list?
Thank you!
tell a story! aka why you enjoy these things
jetzone_premed
Full Member
I submitted a couple days ago and it still says that my LORs aren't received. My school definitely sent them out though. Anyone know if I should contact admissions or just wait to see if they get confirmed?
D
deleted1058452
showkayaker
Full Member
Hmm.. mine says that also and also sayS they haven't received my LOR...even tho AMCAS is showing it was sent with my primary.Is the "Application currently under review" line one that appears for everyone right after submission? Or is it something new that appears indicating we are on a new step in the review process?
showkayaker
Full Member
Mine says this too, maybe its a mistake? I'm going to give it a weekI submitted a couple days ago and it still says that my LORs aren't received. My school definitely sent them out though. Anyone know if I should contact admissions or just wait to see if they get confirmed?
dideperfect123
Full Member
I saw a reddit post from last year where someone was "under-review" the entire cylce, and when asked why, Miller replied saying their Casper score was insufficient for an interview. As someone who did very poorly on Casper, I hope it isn't true.I’ve heard they have a minimum Casper score for offering interviews, does anyone know how true that is?
Yikes I’m trying to decide if it’s even worth submitting a secondary thenI saw a reddit post from last year where someone was "under-review" the entire cylce, and when asked why, Miller replied saying their Casper score was insufficient for an interview. As someone who did very poorly on Casper, I hope it isn't true.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is considered poor on Casper?
dideperfect123
Full Member
What is considered poor on Casper?
We’ll in my case, 1st quartile lol
D
deleted1130038
UGH I just realized I didnt send CASPER to miami!! i submitted weeks ago on july second. Think this will negatively affect me?
It's still only July so I wouldn’t think soUGH I just realized I didnt send CASPER to miami!! i submitted weeks ago on july second. Think this will negatively affect me?