You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 NYU - Long Island
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1144871
I'd send an update immediately post II (before your application + interview evaluation gets sent to the residency admissions team).Do we know if the university accepts updates?
flymflam314
Full Member
Thanks! I do not have an II yet, do you think an update would still be appropriate?I'd send an update immediately post II (before your application + interview evaluation gets sent to the residency admissions team).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1144871
It's up to you. Personally, I don't send updates until after I interview somewhere.Thanks! I do not have an II yet, do you think an update would still be appropriate?
all I want for Christmas is random IIs in my junk mailII yesterday morning; it went to my junk mail!
Interview 9/30, placed on hold. I'm taking this as a rejection as they only have 2 seats for what I applied for. Good luck to everyone else!
showkayaker
Full Member
Just got word I will be moving onnnn!! 🥳🥳🥳 My interview was October 11th (
theseappsgothands
Full Member
Hold email today, interviewed on 10/11, so RIP it’s been real 🫡
D
deleted1128833
Moving on, interviewed 10/13! Anyone know how many applicants make it through this final filter?
Advanced to final pool for acceptance consideration. Interviewed 10/13
showkayaker
Full Member
No idea but I would guess its also dependent on the specialty you applied forMoving on, interviewed 10/13! Anyone know how many applicants make it through this final filter?
Moving on! Interviewed 10/13!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
abcdoctor124
New Member
Are they emailing status updates? Interviewed 10/13 and haven't heard about hold or next round.
showkayaker
Full Member
I got an emailAre they emailing status updates? Interviewed 10/13 and haven't heard about hold or next round.
abcdoctor124
New Member
were you applying for surgery or ob?Interview 9/30, placed on hold. I'm taking this as a rejection as they only have 2 seats for what I applied for. Good luck to everyone else!
Surgerywere you applying for surgery or ob?
is there a difference between hold, high priority hold, and final pool?
Has anyone gotten a “high priority hold?”is there a difference between hold, high priority hold, and final pool?
ChipotleMayo7
Full Member
I’m not sure. I think there’s three outcomes post interview: final pool, hold, and maybe rejection though it’s not been reported.
I looked through last year and there seemed to be four outcomes: final pool, top applicants of final pool (or something like that), hold or rejection. I’m not really sure and I haven’t see a high priority hold yet.
I looked through last year and there seemed to be four outcomes: final pool, top applicants of final pool (or something like that), hold or rejection. I’m not really sure and I haven’t see a high priority hold yet.
D
deleted1128833
those who received the final pool email earlier this week, did anyone's email say "top applicants of final pool" or something like that? I know last year people got an email saying they were in the final pool or "top applicants" and I am wondering if admissions are doing the same thing this year.I’m not sure. I think there’s three outcomes post interview: final pool, hold, and maybe rejection though it’s not been reported.
I looked through last year and there seemed to be four outcomes: final pool, top applicants of final pool (or something like that), hold or rejection. I’m not really sure and I haven’t see a high priority hold yet.
ChipotleMayo7
Full Member
I received final pool and mine read final pool of applicants (same as newyorkgal’s quoted message).
Last edited:
Does anyone know when last interview date is for this cycle?
December 15thDoes anyone know when last interview date is for this cycle?
honeydew_honey
Full Member
For those who have already interviewed, is the student panel a webinar or are you expected to have your video on?
The Sunday night one? It's a conversation, so definitely have your camera on and be prepared with a q or twoFor those who have already interviewed, is the student panel a webinar or are you expected to have your video on?
Tiktaaalik
Full Member
For those who have already interviewed, is the student panel a webinar or are you expected to have your video on?
They started by saying that it was casual and was not recorded or reported in any way to the admission committee. It was super chill. Camera on and being interactive is good to start building relationships even just with other interviewees but you’d be fine to not have it on imo
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tiktaaalik
Full Member
did they say interview thank you notes should be put through the portal?
Yes, they said this was the fastest and most reliable way for it to be seen.
abcdoctor124
New Member
Has anyone from the 10/13 interview day still not heard back on status? They said we would learn if we were in the final round in 4-6 weeks, so does not hearing back mean you're not moving on?
flymflam314
Full Member
AHH you give me hope stillII received this morning! UG GPA 3.53, SMP GPA 3.90; MCAT 518; complete 7/6. ORM (but LGBT, if that means anything)
medhopeful377
Full Member
Do you mind sharing when the interview date is? I was under the impression that the last interview day was December 15th. (I'm trying to hold out hope here haha)II received this morning! UG GPA 3.53, SMP GPA 3.90; MCAT 518; complete 7/6. ORM (but LGBT, if that means anything)
The only date available for me was 10/13Do you mind sharing when the interview date is? I was under the impression that the last interview day was December 15th. (I'm trying to hold out hope here haha)
For those who interviewed and made it to the final pool -- is there any benefit of sending a LOI/update? Would they even share it with the residency committee? I had an interview early on and I know they don't release decisions until February, so wasn't sure if it would be beneficial to send something to them.
Hello all! I just received an OOS interview invite and need some advice: there were only two interview dates available to schedule -- tomorrow or December 15th. Unfortunately, I am not available on December 15th, and I think this could be the last interview day (since they interview until mid-December). I could do the one tomorrow, but I already missed the Sunday Zoom meet and greet since I only received the invite today. I emailed admissions and explained the situation, but I'm not sure they will get back to me in time. Does anyone know if 1) the student meet and greet is mandatory, or 2) if I could possibly attend the meet and greet the week after I interview instead of the week before?
Also, should I just bite the bullet and schedule the interview for tomorrow, or wait until the admissions team responds to me?
Thanks all! Btw, I was complete on 9/8.
Also, should I just bite the bullet and schedule the interview for tomorrow, or wait until the admissions team responds to me?
Thanks all! Btw, I was complete on 9/8.
Just schedule it. You will definitely just be told to attend this coming Sunday instead, but also email them again clarifying that you will plan to attend tomorrow unless you hear otherwise from them. Then ask if it would be appropriate to attend Sunday's meet and greet. Apologize that you can't make the 15th -- but they get it, it's a last minute invite.Hello all! I just received an OOS interview invite and need some advice: there were only two interview dates available to schedule -- tomorrow or December 15th. Unfortunately, I am not available on December 15th, and I think this could be the last interview day (since they interview until mid-December). I could do the one tomorrow, but I already missed the Sunday Zoom meet and greet since I only received the invite today. I emailed admissions and explained the situation, but I'm not sure they will get back to me in time. Does anyone know if 1) the student meet and greet is mandatory, or 2) if I could possibly attend the meet and greet the week after I interview instead of the week before?
Also, should I just bite the bullet and schedule the interview for tomorrow, or wait until the admissions team responds to me?
Thanks all! Btw, I was complete on 9/8.
does this school accept update letters / LOI? thank you in advance!
Ok, I did this, and they confirmed I'll be interviewing tomorrow! Ahhhh....Just schedule it. You will definitely just be told to attend this coming Sunday instead, but also email them again clarifying that you will plan to attend tomorrow unless you hear otherwise from them. Then ask if it would be appropriate to attend Sunday's meet and greet. Apologize that you can't make the 15th -- but they get it, it's a last minute invite.
Do you, or does anyone else, have any interview tips? Since it's so last minute, I have very little time to prep. Is it a normal MMI? Are they all ethical scenarios, or are there also traditional interview stations? Should I prep a "why NYULISOM" answer?
Thanks to everyone!
Also had that issue, then I realized I hadn't uploaded my photoI received an II today but the portal isn’t allowing me to schedule, has anyone else ever had this issue?
I had uploaded a photo, it was a weird thing where I could see the calendar but when I clicked confirm it wouldn’t actually confirm. I emailed admissions and got scheduled by them manually so it is all good now 🙂Also had that issue, then I realized I hadn't uploaded my photo
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mcpremed233
New Member
This is for next cycle, but curious what you have learned from applying and interviewing (and attending).
1. If you decide NOT to rank NYU LI at the end of the program, do they still keep you at #1? Won't this inevitably lead to you matching there anyway, since they must not get a lot of outside applications since the spots are almost guaranteed to be filled by their med students? (Do they even have open applications for residency spots for non-NYU LI students?)
2. Is there any flexibility to switch specialties within the program? Ex. going from IM to OB in your second year. Does that mean you are forced to do the match because all the OB spots are taken by your original OB pathway classmates?
3. What is the general feeling from the medical community towards 3 year programs in general, and the 3 year NYU LI program? The big name must help, but I think a lot of people don't realize there is the LI campus.
1. If you decide NOT to rank NYU LI at the end of the program, do they still keep you at #1? Won't this inevitably lead to you matching there anyway, since they must not get a lot of outside applications since the spots are almost guaranteed to be filled by their med students? (Do they even have open applications for residency spots for non-NYU LI students?)
2. Is there any flexibility to switch specialties within the program? Ex. going from IM to OB in your second year. Does that mean you are forced to do the match because all the OB spots are taken by your original OB pathway classmates?
3. What is the general feeling from the medical community towards 3 year programs in general, and the 3 year NYU LI program? The big name must help, but I think a lot of people don't realize there is the LI campus.
showkayaker
Full Member
1. If you are not going to be applying to the NYU residency, you have to apply just like a normal resident would in the matchThis is for next cycle, but curious what you have learned from applying and interviewing (and attending).
1. If you decide NOT to rank NYU LI at the end of the program, do they still keep you at #1? Won't this inevitably lead to you matching there anyway, since they must not get a lot of outside applications since the spots are almost guaranteed to be filled by their med students? (Do they even have open applications for residency spots for non-NYU LI students?)
2. Is there any flexibility to switch specialties within the program? Ex. going from IM to OB in your second year. Does that mean you are forced to do the match because all the OB spots are taken by your original OB pathway classmates?
3. What is the general feeling from the medical community towards 3 year programs in general, and the 3 year NYU LI program? The big name must help, but I think a lot of people don't realize there is the LI campus.
2. There is flexibility in the sense that if your interests change, you can ask to switch to OB but you’re no longer guaranteed a residency spot.
3. Your degree comes from NYU, they stress that during the interview day. I really don’t think a three year program is going to put you at a disadvantage since a lot of schools are doing it this way now (Hackensack, Penn state has 3yr programs) with a condensed pre-clinical and then a fourth year with a little more flexibility.
This is for next cycle, but curious what you have learned from applying and interviewing (and attending).
1. If you decide NOT to rank NYU LI at the end of the program, do they still keep you at #1? Won't this inevitably lead to you matching there anyway, since they must not get a lot of outside applications since the spots are almost guaranteed to be filled by their med students? (Do they even have open applications for residency spots for non-NYU LI students?)
2. Is there any flexibility to switch specialties within the program? Ex. going from IM to OB in your second year. Does that mean you are forced to do the match because all the OB spots are taken by your original OB pathway classmates?
3. What is the general feeling from the medical community towards 3 year programs in general, and the 3 year NYU LI program? The big name must help, but I think a lot of people don't realize there is the LI campus.
I don’t know how it really works but I think there is evidence of switching specialties and pursuing other residency spots on their match list from March 2022 (their first and only graduated class so far)
Residency Match Day Results for MD Students | NYU Langone Health
On Match Day, our medical students match at NYU Grossman Long Island School of Medicine and other premier residency programs.
For example, Pediatrics Match List
Mass General, Johns Hopkins, Cornell and NYU LI
So if there are truly 6 Pediatrics Med student spots, then 2 people switched completely out of Pediatrics and 3 of the remaining 4 managed to match at top Pediatric residencies elsewhere
Idk if it’s socially or professionally acceptable to say that you have an interest in switching out or going elsewhere but it’s at least very doable.
showkayaker
Full Member
It is but also this isnt the ideal school for someone who wants to have flexibility. Also - the medical students mentioned it is difficult to apply out because you are in a 3yr curriculum as opposed to 4yr so you have much less time to do research/pubs/other stuff for your residency app.I don’t know how it really works but I think there is evidence of switching specialties and pursuing other residency spots on their match list from March 2022 (their first and only graduated class so far)
![]()
Residency Match Day Results for MD Students | NYU Langone Health
On Match Day, our medical students match at NYU Grossman Long Island School of Medicine and other premier residency programs.medli.nyu.edu
For example, Pediatrics Match List
Mass General, Johns Hopkins, Cornell and NYU LI
So if there are truly 6 Pediatrics Med student spots, then 2 people switched completely out of Pediatrics and 3 of the remaining 4 managed to match at top Pediatric residencies elsewhere
Idk if it’s socially or professionally acceptable to say that you have an interest in switching out or going elsewhere but it’s at least very doable.
All in all, I would say this is not the ideal school for someone who doesn't know what they want to pursue. Almost every other medical school in the country is set up to allow you to have the most freedom, why would you apply to this school if you were not interested in peds/IM/surg/OBGYN?
Its certainly a different story if you change your mind after attending but as an applicant I don’t get why you would apply if you don’t know where your interests lie