2022-2023 Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @paul30 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Louisville Secondary Essay Prompts
  1. Why are you choosing to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine?
  2. How well did your high school prepare you for college?
  3. What determined your choice of college(s)?
  4. How do you assess your college record?
  5. Please describe any circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance while in college.
  6. Describe your most significant personal accomplishments and/or experiences and how these may relate to your potential to contribute to the medical community.
  7. What has been your most significant contribution to your community, through service or volunteerism? What was its impact on the community and on you?
  8. How have your cultural experiences shaped the way you see yourself contributing to the medical field and strengthened your ability to provide equitable care for a diverse patient population?
  9. List and describe any additional experiences, interests, hobbies, or skills not included in other areas of your application or that you have completed since submitting your AMCAS application.
  10. How has the pandemic affected the way you view the healthcare system and/or see yourself contributing to the medical field?
  11. Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians.
  12. Practice after residency: How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location).
  13. (Optional) If you are a reapplicant, what has changed from your previous application or your approach to this year's admissions cycle?
  14. If you are not a Kentucky resident, please explain any personal or familial ties to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. If you are a Kentucky resident type "Not Applicable" in the text box below.
  15. As well as residency and employment questions

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Louisville School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was low-key panicking when I read that others had received secondaries and my inbox was still empty, but mine finally showed up at 4:30 (in state, early decision).

OOS received. They said they screen for secondaries, but I'm going to assume it's an extremely soft screen?

1. Why are you choosing to apply to the University of Louisville School of Medicine?
  5. Please describe any circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance while in college.
  6. Describe your most significant personal accomplishments and/or experiences and how these may relate to your potential to contribute to the medical community.
  7. What has been your most significant contribution to your community, through service or volunteerism? What was its impact on the community and on you?
  8. How have your cultural experiences shaped the way you see yourself contributing to the medical field and strengthened your ability to provide equitable care for a diverse patient population?
  9. List and describe any additional experiences, interests, hobbies, or skills not included in other areas of your application or that you have completed since submitting your AMCAS application.
  10. How has the pandemic affected the way you view the healthcare system and/or see yourself contributing to the medical field?
  11. Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue medicine and how your personal characteristics align with those you believe are most needed by physicians.
  12. Practice after residency: How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training? (Please include choice of medical practice and location).
  13. (Optional) If you are a reapplicant, what has changed from your previous application or your approach to this year's admissions cycle?
  14. If you are not a Kentucky resident, please explain any personal or familial ties to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. If you are a Kentucky resident type "Not Applicable" in the text box below.

Reactions: 1 users
How do I see which letters I assigned? It is asking which letter writers I assigned but I have nowhere to outright see who I assigned

Edit: resolved

Last edited:
Just got this email:

"Thank you for your interest in the University of Louisville School of Medicine. Your Secondary Application with ULSOM is now complete. Applicants with completed Secondary Applications are placed in the pool for possible interview. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be notified by email."

But my school hasn't even uploaded my committee letter so I'm confused as to how my app is complete?

Just got this email:

"Thank you for your interest in the University of Louisville School of Medicine. Your Secondary Application with ULSOM is now complete. Applicants with completed Secondary Applications are placed in the pool for possible interview. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be notified by email."

But my school hasn't even uploaded my committee letter so I'm confused as to how my app is complete?
I didn't get the complete email, but all of my materials are in. How long after did you get the email?

I didn't get the complete email, but all of my materials are in. How long after did you get the email?

About a day after! But my LORs are not in yet so I think it's more of an acknowledgement that I submitted my secondary?

Reactions: 1 user
OOS received. They said they screen for secondaries, but I'm going to assume it's an extremely soft screen?

still waiting to be verified but pre-writing, can you tell me how many characters are for each essay?

Is anyone else getting “an error has occurred. please retry or contact support.” I’m not able to submit my secondary :(

Members don't see this ad :)
still waiting to be verified but pre-writing, can you tell me how many characters are for each essay?
500 but 1000 for the pandemic and 250 for the reapplicant questions

Is anyone else getting “an error has occurred. please retry or contact support.” I’m not able to submit my secondary :(
This is probably too late to help you, but incase it helps someone else:

I got this same error message last night when I tried to submit, so I logged out, logged back in, pasted in all my answers again and then was able to submit successfully.

Now I get to sit around and twiddle my thumbs (yay early decision) until at least one more of my recommenders submits their letter. Two of my four submitted right away and ULSOM only requires three, so as soon as one more person submits my plan is just to mark the final one as "no longer being sent" so my application will be complete.

Reactions: 1 users
About a day after! But my LORs are not in yet so I think it's more of an acknowledgement that I submitted my secondary?

I'm not so sure - the day after I submitted my secondary, I got this email:

"Please be advised that we did receive your payment for your secondary application with the University of Louisville School of Medicine. However, your application is missing accompanying letters of recommendation and will be considered incomplete until letters are included. "

I got the "complete" email today, after my letters were in.

I'm not so sure - the day after I submitted my secondary, I got this email:

"Please be advised that we did receive your payment for your secondary application with the University of Louisville School of Medicine. However, your application is missing accompanying letters of recommendation and will be considered incomplete until letters are included. "

I got the "complete" email today, after my letters were in.

Hmmm that's super interesting then

A little more context explaining why this is beyond infuriating: Pass/Fail grading for preclinical was my #1 priority when choosing a med school for a multitude of reasons (more time to do research & extracurriculars to build up my residency app since Step 1 is P/F, more relaxed attitude, not stressing about getting every last available point on exams, more collaborative environment, etc.). I even turned down acceptances to other MD schools with preclinical Pass/Fail grading to come to UofL. To now have the rug pulled out from underneath me when I can't do anything about it is infuriating and unfair. I can't go back and choose another med school. I can't transfer since med schools don't allow that outside of exceedingly rare circumstances. My options are 1) drop out, waste a year of tuition, and take my chances reapplying to med school or 2) suck it up.

I think I feel worse for the incoming M1s. UofL straight-up pulled a bait-and-switch. Lured in with a Pass/Fail curriculum, but switched to an Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail curriculum just days before orientation. Long after they have withdrawn acceptances to other schools and had to select "Commit to Enroll."

Do not come here.

deleted

Last edited:
500 but 1000 for the pandemic and 250 for the reapplicant questions

Are you writing something for the pandemic? I’m sure it affected many people in many different ways but I feel like I wasn’t significantly impacted as I just moved home with my parents and had to do school online. Do you think it is okay to leave it blank? Also don’t want to waste their time writing explanations to how it effected me if it wasn’t that significant

Are you writing something for the pandemic? I’m sure it affected many people in many different ways but I feel like I wasn’t significantly impacted as I just moved home with my parents and had to do school online. Do you think it is okay to leave it blank? Also don’t want to waste their time writing explanations to how it effected me if it wasn’t that significant
I did write how it impacted me personally. I guess you can talk about your experience of adjusting to school online and a quickly shifting environment?

Hi guys, I'm an IS applicant to ULSOM, I'm currently doing the MS Physiology program at ULSOM and completed my secondary 7/18. However, I just got my MCAT back as only a 510...should I plan on retaking it this September? All the current med students I've met are 512+
That is just over their median (508) so it is probably a coincidence, or just that people with higher MCAT scores are more likely to share. IMO as long as the rest of your app is good you will be fine. (Fellow applicant, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.)

I am an OOS applicant with a 507 and 4.0. I would not retake. I would be jumping for joy with your score, if you retake it’s not always a guarantee you will go up. As the previous user said their median score is a 508 so you are in great shape!

How have your cultural experiences shaped the way you see yourself contributing to the medical field and strengthened your ability to provide equitable care for a diverse patient population?
Can the cultural experience be one of the clinical experiences or encounters with a patient? How is everyone approaching this prompt?

II just now!!!!! In state, RD.

Edit: Regular MD program

Reactions: 4 users
I am planning on submitting my secondary this week (RD OOS). Does anyone think this is too late? I plan to for a few other schools but i'm afraid i'm late for all of them lol. Or am I just letting all these pre-meds get to me

I am planning on submitting my secondary this week (RD OOS). Does anyone think this is too late? I plan to for a few other schools but i'm afraid i'm late for all of them lol. Or am I just letting all these pre-meds get to me
It never hurts your chances to apply. Only your wallet.

I sad-emoji'd too soon. I received an II today, about 11AM (in-state, early decision).

Reactions: 2 users