2022-2023 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone been accepted off the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad.

hi, does anyone know if there is a student host option for Second Look? i don’t want to have to book a hotel if i don’t have to, they’re pretty pricey

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hectic day at work and I wasn't able to make it to the alternate list webinar. Can someone post a summary? Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Hectic day at work and I wasn't able to make it to the alternate list webinar. Can someone post a summary? Thank you in advance!
Lots of people asking repetitive questions that they can find online or have been said before, but it's okay! Basically, the bulk of the movement will be mid April to mid May. Their commit to enroll date is June 2nd so any WL movement after that is scarce and very rare. This is the first year they have been withdrawing people from the WL on their own as they are trying to be more deliberate in the WL.

Throughout the next few weeks, they will begin pulling people off the WL since they're too low mathematically to be admitted. He explained that the ranking system is basically a block of groups of people, not a numerical rank. The groups are fluid in that you can move up or down based on a lot of factors (updates, LORS, re-review of your app, and other people coming off the list). Fill out FA documents early just in case. They will be sending emails once they are close to an open spot to ask if the applicant is interested in being admitted. Next week there will be a student panel Thursday 3-4 pm EST (an email will be sent soon). This panel is for all, not just alternates.

I think that is the most important thing discussed. As I said, 75% of the time it was people asking questions that were a bit redundant and some personal to their situation. If you have any questions, I stayed the entire time so I can help :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Lots of people asking repetitive questions that they can find online or have been said before, but it's okay! Basically, the bulk of the movement will be mid April to mid May. Their commit to enroll date is June 2nd so any WL movement after that is scarce and very rare. This is the first year they have been withdrawing people from the WL on their own as they are trying to be more deliberate in the WL.

Throughout the next few weeks, they will begin pulling people off the WL since they're too low mathematically to be admitted. He explained that the ranking system is basically a block of groups of people, not a numerical rank. The groups are fluid in that you can move up or down based on a lot of factors (updates, LORS, re-review of your app, and other people coming off the list). Fill out FA documents early just in case. They will be sending emails once they are close to an open spot to ask if the applicant is interested in being admitted. Next week there will be a student panel Thursday 3-4 pm EST (an email will be sent soon). This panel is for all, not just alternates.

I think that is the most important thing discussed. As I said, 75% of the time it was people asking questions that were a bit redundant and some personal to their situation. If you have any questions, I stayed the entire time so I can help :)
Let’s not forget he also mentioned he expects less wl movement this cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Let’s not forget he also mentioned he expects less wl movement this cycle
I thought he said he feels like it would be extreme one way or another (extreme in terms of lots of movement or not a lot of movement)

Reactions: 2 users
I thought he said he feels like it would be extreme one way or another (extreme in terms of lots of movement or not a lot of movement)
Maybe I misunderstood then. I thought he was saying there was a cycle like 3 cycles ago where there was little movement and he said that this cycle might be another one of those

Maybe I misunderstood then. I thought he was saying there was a cycle like 3 cycles ago where there was little movement and he said that this cycle might be another one of those
yeah, true, it’s kind of hard to know what he meant to be fair …. let’s hope for the best for all of us though!!!

I believe that was the COVID cycle where there was an unprecedented amount of applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe that was the COVID cycle where there was an unprecedented amount of applicants.
Yep. I interviewed 2 cycles ago and there was barely any movement. Unfortunate to hear that there may not be much movement again the cycle I reinterviewed with them.

Yep. I interviewed 2 cycles ago and there was barely any movement. Unfortunate to hear that there may not be much movement again the cycle I reinterviewed with them.
I think he tried to be as transparent as possible and I actually really appreciated that! I don’t know how everyone else felt, but he left a great impression. From what I understood, he said it’s either gonna be lots of movement or not so much from his gut feeling. We’ll see… time is ticking eek

I think he tried to be as transparent as possible and I actually really appreciated that! I don’t know how everyone else felt, but he left a great impression. From what I understood, he said it’s either gonna be lots of movement or not so much from his gut feeling. We’ll see… time is ticking eek
Transparency is always appreciated whether it be good news or bad news. The nature of medical school admissions is volatile, so no blame on the school itself or anything.

Fingers crossed for a lot of movement!

Is there a groupme for accepted students? I don’t have Facebook and really don’t want to make one lol

I hate to say this, but what is the point in having 250+ students on the waitlist?

The class size is literally ~180 students- it makes absolutely no sense for GW to have a waitlist that is larger than an entire incoming class.

As someone with an acceptance somewhere else, I am more than blessed to not really be affected by this situation.
But for other WL applicants who don't have other acceptances and those on gap years who need to make financially-sensitive decisions about reapplying, housing, etc., it's so borderline insensitive for a school to keep so many people in the dark for so long.

GW needs to do a much, much better job of reducing their WL and offering deliberate post-II rejections. It doesn't help to keep the hopes up of students who statistically have no chance of getting off this huge WL.

Just give students who have no chance of getting in (maybe 90% of your WL) based on the data from previous cycles an R sooner rather than later so they can move on with life and plan out their next steps.

You want to talk about sympathizing with the mental health of struggling premeds? You want to talk about supporting underrepresented demographics in medicine and low-income students? GW's decision to drag this process on for soooo long and keep a WL that is soooo huge just because it's convenient for them to prevent the insanely-rare event that they aren’t able to fill a class is hurting the exact groups of students they pretend to care about.

I know you're better than this GW- please practice what you preach.
I'm currently on the WL so of course I'm biased but I agree lol

I hate to say this, but what is the point in having 250+ students on the waitlist?

The class size is literally ~180 students- it makes absolutely no sense for GW to have a waitlist that is larger than an entire incoming class.

As someone with an acceptance somewhere else, I am more than blessed to not really be affected by this situation.
But for other WL applicants who don't have other acceptances and those on gap years who need to make financially-sensitive decisions about reapplying, housing, etc., it's so borderline insensitive for a school to keep so many people in the dark for so long.

GW needs to do a much, much better job of reducing their WL and offering deliberate post-II rejections. It doesn't help to keep the hopes up of students who statistically have no chance of getting off this huge WL.

Just give students who have no chance of getting in (maybe 90% of your WL) based on the data from previous cycles an R sooner rather than later so they can move on with life and plan out their next steps.

You want to talk about sympathizing with the mental health of struggling premeds? You want to talk about supporting underrepresented demographics in medicine and low-income students? GW's decision to drag this process on for soooo long and keep a WL that is soooo huge just because it's convenient for them to prevent the insanely-rare event that they aren’t able to fill a class is hurting the exact groups of students they pretend to care about.

I know you're better than this GW- please practice what you preach.
I think that’s why this year they started withdrawing people from the WL earlier. I agree with you 100% though.

Rejected off the WL just now

• Care
Accepted off the WL today
giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Also, did you perchance get an email from GW asking if you were still interested before you got accepted? I know last year they sent out email prior to acceptances. Thanks and congrats!!

Also, did you perchance get an email from GW asking if you were still interested before you got accepted? I know last year they sent out email prior to acceptances. Thanks and congrats!!
Just got the email asking if I still interested earlier today.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I’m lowkey so happy for you guys. I was A a while back & decided to recheck this thread.
HAVE HOPE!! See y’all in august!

• Care
I’m lowkey so happy for you guys. I was A a while back & decided to recheck this thread.
HAVE HOPE!! See y’all in august!
congrats🥺 still waiting, hope we can all be classmates!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users