You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Baylor
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
business casual. no suit and ties.Hi! Does anyone know what the dress code is for the BCM open house in Houston?
True p/f for the entire degree plan. No internal rankings.For current students: does baylor have internal ranking or is true p/f? Is it also p/f during clerkships or only preclerkships?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Graduated last year, we were ranked by 3rds on our MSPE based on internal rankings from clinical grades despite P/F preclinicals. I know there was discussion to move clinics to P/F as well. Did they discuss with y’all moving the MSPE to no internal rankings?
During the first few weeks of classes, we were told that there were no internal rankings. They’ve also shifted us to pure p/f for both pre clinical and clinical.
Last edited:
And this should be obvious: I’m not affiliated with the educational department or academics, etc. I’m just a student and I was told that there would be no rankings whatsoever.
Baylor technically doesn’t have internal rankings per se but they do technically rank us because you can get a recognition on the deans letter for being within a certain percentage of preclinical grades. If you are also on the bottom percentile, they will set up meetings with you just to make sure you’re doing ok. Clerkships are also all P/F now.
domicileMD
Full Member
When is this?I highly recommend anyone that has questions regarding the Temple campus come to the Temple open house. You can speak to Temple students and ask your questions in person, plus you get a great lunch 🙂
You should receive an email regarding visiting campuses if you haven’t already. I recall getting emails to visit the campuses several weeks after interviewing.
When do Baylor students take step 1 now with the new curriculum? I didn’t see a dedicated period, and I’m trying to figure out when the schools are having or expecting their students to take the step exams so I can see what type of curriculum I like.
Sorry, I might be blind. I still don't see a dedicated so are they taking it before core clerkships or after?
USMLE block flexible on the scheduleSorry, I might be blind. I still don't see a dedicated so are they taking it before core clerkships or after?
justacowgirl
New Member
Would sending a letter of intent make any difference if we've already been ranked? And if so, how long after an interview do you think is appropriate to send one?Of course you could PM me.
Regarding discussions of admissions, all interviewees are ranked the same day they interview and several of my classmates in temple, and also some friends in Houston interviewed in January and matched.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m not affiliated with admissions; I don’t have any information on if writing a LOI after ranking would help. I’m very sorry.
justacowgirl
New Member
thanks anyways! you're the bestI’m not affiliated with admissions; I don’t have any information on if writing a LOI after ranking would help. I’m very sorry.
thank you for your help; we appreciate it.I’m not affiliated with admissions; I don’t have any information on if writing a LOI after ranking would help. I’m very sorry.
I think moving forward my greatest contribution to y’all is discussing how the curriculum is structured, student life, course load, living in Temple, etc.
justacowgirl
New Member
they covered these very well at the social & interview day! Baylor is already my top choice with all factors in consideration so there’s nothing more to do than hold out hope for now and wish you good luck for this semester 🤞🏼I think moving forward my greatest contribution to y’all is discussing how the curriculum is structured, student life, course load, living in Temple, etc.
chamomile.tea
Full Member
What is the difference between intersessions and breaks on this chart?
What is the difference between intersessions and breaks on this chart?
Breaks are like summer/winter/spring break (true breaks). Intersessions are a break from learning new content (no classes) between each of our organ systems but we are expected to stay in town to shadow, do research, remediate any courses if need be, and we also have our clinical skills exams during this time.
Hi, I am strongly considering ranking Baylor first during match because I like the school and my partner has a higher chance of getting accepted to a medical school in Houston. I prematched to UTSW and will rank it 2 as I have family in Dallas. If my partner does not match into a Houston school but I end up matching at Baylor, would I be allowed to withdraw my application from Baylor and accept my spot at UTSW?
No, the results of the TMDSAS Match are binding and final.Hi, I am strongly considering ranking Baylor first during match because I like the school and my partner has a higher chance of getting accepted to a medical school in Houston. I prematched to UTSW and will rank it 2 as I have family in Dallas. If my partner does not match into a Houston school but I end up matching at Baylor, would I be allowed to withdraw my application from Baylor and accept my spot at UTSW?
If you were to match to Baylor as you described, your eligibility to have that spot at UTSW would be effectively negated. You would no longer "have" a spot at UTSW because you matched to a school you ranked higher.
Is your partner applying to med school THIS year, or in the future? You can DM me if you want to ask nitty gritty questions not generally useful to a public thread.
The only way to keep the UTSW spot is if Baylor does not match during the match placing you on waitlist. If you get matched to a number 1 there are no other admission options.No, the results of the TMDSAS Match are binding and final.
If you were to match to Baylor as you described, your eligibility to have that spot at UTSW would be effectively negated. You would no longer "have" a spot at UTSW because you matched to a school you ranked higher.
Is your partner applying to med school THIS year, or in the future? You can DM me if you want to ask nitty gritty questions not generally useful to a public thread.
My delulu self was thinking it was a pre-match.Did anyone else get a palpitation after seeing the campus selection information email lol
Have they changed anything from last year?Did anyone else get a palpitation after seeing the campus selection information email lol
Yes, it appears there is a more substantive appeals process.Have they changed anything from last year?
pepperoncini
Full Member
I'm a bit confused by this: "If you do not receive your campus choice on initial assignment, as we begin to fill our class from the wait list (something that happens every year) you may be given the opportunity to again select your preferred first choice." If a spot opens up in our desired campus after assignments happen, will matched students get preference and an opportunity to switch campuses over the waitlist students? I thought initial campus assignments were final. Don't really get how this works
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
villain-cold
Full Member
I'm a bit confused by this: "If you do not receive your campus choice on initial assignment, as we begin to fill our class from the wait list (something that happens every year) you may be given the opportunity to again select your preferred first choice." If a spot opens up in our desired campus after assignments happen, will matched students get preference and an opportunity to switch campuses over the waitlist students? I thought initial campus assignments were final. Don't really get how this works
I think what they’re getting at is that you’ll get to participate in the campus selection process again with the newly admitted students that got off the waitlist after match day. Essentially a second opportunity to get your preferred campus. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.
I am reading it as people giving up their admissions and opening spots leads to waitlist people being given admission and one may be reconsidered at that time for campus allocation (they can see your appeal, there is an opening where you want to go, the waitlist person can be assigned where you are while you get to change your location).I'm a bit confused by this: "If you do not receive your campus choice on initial assignment, as we begin to fill our class from the wait list (something that happens every year) you may be given the opportunity to again select your preferred first choice." If a spot opens up in our desired campus after assignments happen, will matched students get preference and an opportunity to switch campuses over the waitlist students? I thought initial campus assignments were final. Don't really get how this works
The question comes down to whether the opening happens where you are already and so they cant do much. @MCAThiccy mentioned there are several OOS students at Temple and I expect most openings to be created by OOS students.
medguy0824
Full Member
is baylor 100% done with II's?
I think so. Per the post-interview survey, the last interview date was Jan 5this baylor 100% done with II's?
Does anyone know if they are going to send any more pre-match offers before match day?
one more waveDoes anyone know if they are going to send any more pre-match offers before match day?
rubybarnard
New Member
anybody know if you're considered for MD only if you applied MSTP and didn't get an offer?
The MD application is through TMDSAS whereas the MSTP app is through AMCAS; if you didn't apply via TMDSAS then I would said probably notanybody know if you're considered for MD only if you applied MSTP and didn't get an offer?
shoemaker25
New Member
Got the prematch A earlier today! Interviewed 1/5. Is there a FB group/GroupMe for accepted students?
Pre II R just now!
+1 oos RPre II R just now!
Rejected! I thought it said there were many more qualified applicants than you and was gonna cry lol
+1 OOS R. Looks like I’m not destined for Texas 😢
I'd kill to go back to Vandy for med school congrats on that big bro : P+1 OOS R. Looks like I’m not destined for Texas 😢
Thank you king 🙂I'd kill to go back to Vandy for med school congrats on that big bro : P
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS pre II R
CONGRATS!!! do we think this was the last wave 🙁Got the prematch A earlier today! Interviewed 1/5. Is there a FB group/GroupMe for accepted students?
Honestly, I think so 🙁CONGRATS!!! do we think this was the last wave 🙁