2023-2024 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They suggested at the interview day today that they would *probably* have 1 more prematch release before match day just fyi

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
For current students: does baylor have internal ranking or is true p/f? Is it also p/f during clerkships or only preclerkships?

Hi! Does anyone know what the dress code is for the BCM open house in Houston?

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduated last year, we were ranked by 3rds on our MSPE based on internal rankings from clinical grades despite P/F preclinicals. I know there was discussion to move clinics to P/F as well. Did they discuss with y’all moving the MSPE to no internal rankings?

During the first few weeks of classes, we were told that there were no internal rankings. They’ve also shifted us to pure p/f for both pre clinical and clinical.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
And this should be obvious: I’m not affiliated with the educational department or academics, etc. I’m just a student and I was told that there would be no rankings whatsoever.

Baylor technically doesn’t have internal rankings per se but they do technically rank us because you can get a recognition on the deans letter for being within a certain percentage of preclinical grades. If you are also on the bottom percentile, they will set up meetings with you just to make sure you’re doing ok. Clerkships are also all P/F now.

I highly recommend anyone that has questions regarding the Temple campus come to the Temple open house. You can speak to Temple students and ask your questions in person, plus you get a great lunch :)
When is this?

You should receive an email regarding visiting campuses if you haven’t already. I recall getting emails to visit the campuses several weeks after interviewing.

When do Baylor students take step 1 now with the new curriculum? I didn’t see a dedicated period, and I’m trying to figure out when the schools are having or expecting their students to take the step exams so I can see what type of curriculum I like.

IMG_2229.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I might be blind. I still don't see a dedicated so are they taking it before core clerkships or after?

Of course you could PM me.
Regarding discussions of admissions, all interviewees are ranked the same day they interview and several of my classmates in temple, and also some friends in Houston interviewed in January and matched.
Would sending a letter of intent make any difference if we've already been ranked? And if so, how long after an interview do you think is appropriate to send one?

I’m not affiliated with admissions; I don’t have any information on if writing a LOI after ranking would help. I’m very sorry.
thank you for your help; we appreciate it.

I think moving forward my greatest contribution to y’all is discussing how the curriculum is structured, student life, course load, living in Temple, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I think moving forward my greatest contribution to y’all is discussing how the curriculum is structured, student life, course load, living in Temple, etc.
they covered these very well at the social & interview day! Baylor is already my top choice with all factors in consideration so there’s nothing more to do than hold out hope for now and wish you good luck for this semester 🤞🏼

Reactions: 1 users
What is the difference between intersessions and breaks on this chart?

Breaks are like summer/winter/spring break (true breaks). Intersessions are a break from learning new content (no classes) between each of our organ systems but we are expected to stay in town to shadow, do research, remediate any courses if need be, and we also have our clinical skills exams during this time.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I am strongly considering ranking Baylor first during match because I like the school and my partner has a higher chance of getting accepted to a medical school in Houston. I prematched to UTSW and will rank it 2 as I have family in Dallas. If my partner does not match into a Houston school but I end up matching at Baylor, would I be allowed to withdraw my application from Baylor and accept my spot at UTSW?

Hi, I am strongly considering ranking Baylor first during match because I like the school and my partner has a higher chance of getting accepted to a medical school in Houston. I prematched to UTSW and will rank it 2 as I have family in Dallas. If my partner does not match into a Houston school but I end up matching at Baylor, would I be allowed to withdraw my application from Baylor and accept my spot at UTSW?
No, the results of the TMDSAS Match are binding and final.
If you were to match to Baylor as you described, your eligibility to have that spot at UTSW would be effectively negated. You would no longer "have" a spot at UTSW because you matched to a school you ranked higher.

Is your partner applying to med school THIS year, or in the future? You can DM me if you want to ask nitty gritty questions not generally useful to a public thread.

Reactions: 3 users
No, the results of the TMDSAS Match are binding and final.
If you were to match to Baylor as you described, your eligibility to have that spot at UTSW would be effectively negated. You would no longer "have" a spot at UTSW because you matched to a school you ranked higher.

Is your partner applying to med school THIS year, or in the future? You can DM me if you want to ask nitty gritty questions not generally useful to a public thread.
The only way to keep the UTSW spot is if Baylor does not match during the match placing you on waitlist. If you get matched to a number 1 there are no other admission options.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else get a palpitation after seeing the campus selection information email lol

Reactions: 14 users
I'm a bit confused by this: "If you do not receive your campus choice on initial assignment, as we begin to fill our class from the wait list (something that happens every year) you may be given the opportunity to again select your preferred first choice." If a spot opens up in our desired campus after assignments happen, will matched students get preference and an opportunity to switch campuses over the waitlist students? I thought initial campus assignments were final. Don't really get how this works

I'm a bit confused by this: "If you do not receive your campus choice on initial assignment, as we begin to fill our class from the wait list (something that happens every year) you may be given the opportunity to again select your preferred first choice." If a spot opens up in our desired campus after assignments happen, will matched students get preference and an opportunity to switch campuses over the waitlist students? I thought initial campus assignments were final. Don't really get how this works

I think what they’re getting at is that you’ll get to participate in the campus selection process again with the newly admitted students that got off the waitlist after match day. Essentially a second opportunity to get your preferred campus. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

I am reading it as people giving up their admissions and opening spots leads to waitlist people being given admission and one may be reconsidered at that time for campus allocation (they can see your appeal, there is an opening where you want to go, the waitlist person can be assigned where you are while you get to change your location).

The question comes down to whether the opening happens where you are already and so they cant do much. @MCAThiccy mentioned there are several OOS students at Temple and I expect most openings to be created by OOS students.

Does anyone know if they are going to send any more pre-match offers before match day?

anybody know if you're considered for MD only if you applied MSTP and didn't get an offer?

anybody know if you're considered for MD only if you applied MSTP and didn't get an offer?
The MD application is through TMDSAS whereas the MSTP app is through AMCAS; if you didn't apply via TMDSAS then I would said probably not

Got the prematch A earlier today! Interviewed 1/5. Is there a FB group/GroupMe for accepted students?

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Rejected! I thought it said there were many more qualified applicants than you and was gonna cry lol

• Care
Reactions: 1 users