2023-2024 Buffalo (Jacobs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Buffalo (Jacobs) Secondary Essay Prompts (Interviews are in person this year)

1. In 500 words or fewer, please explain your reasons for applying to the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo. Please be specific.

2. In 500 words or fewer, please explain how you would respond to a fellow student who muttered a racist or homophobic statement under their breath in your presence and that of other peers?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
SUNY - University at Buffalo Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Best of luck to everybody this cycle :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems to be only two essay questions, the rest of the secondary is New York residency questions.

1. In 500 words or fewer, please explain your reasons for applying to the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo. Please be specific.
2. In 500 words or fewer, please explain how you would respond to a fellow student who muttered a racist or homophobic statement under their breath in your presence and that of other peers?

How does the payment work after submitting the secondary? When should we expect to hear back with the payment link?

I have absolutely no ties to NY, should I skip this school?
It depends. The fee is $100 (about average). If you have a competitive application it might be worth it to yolo an application here. Would you go if you got in?

MSAR shows 162 in state to 22 OOS matriculation. Not OOS friendly
That shows matriculation data. Accepted students that are OOS are more likely to attend a school that is in-state or closer to their home state. A more accurate depiction of their OOS trend is the interviews they give out, which is about 4:1

Members don't see this ad :)
That shows matriculation data. Accepted students that are OOS are more likely to attend a school that is in-state or closer to their home state. A more accurate depiction of their OOS trend is the interviews they give out, which is about 4:1
For OOS, they gave 115 interviews to 2986 applicants. It even says in their selection criteria they favor NY residents, specifically Western NY residents.

Did anyone figure out how to pay application fee?

OOS strong NY ties secondary received 7/6, secondary submitted 7/10, marked as complete today 7/11; had FAP fee waiver.

What are considered ties? I am from the northeast but not from New York but have visited the area a lot because of my uncle and he is one of my support systems and reason why I would want to go to Buffalo. Is this considered a tie?

Hi! I submitted last week but have not received a link for payment. Do you know how long it is taking to pay? thx

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I submitted last week but have not received a link for payment. Do you know how long it is taking to pay? thx
I got the link to pay about 18 hours after submitting, but the email initially went to spam so it might be worth checking there!

I submitted over the weekend and have not received a link to pay yet either.

Thinking about adding this school on. I'm an NJ resident with ties to NYC but not upstate NY. Is it worth doing so with the heavy IS bias?

it’s heavy in state, i only added bc it is where my mom went, if you’re not from NY it’s very very hard.

IS II today! Submitted 7/11, complete 7/12. LM 71 (514, 3.8)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
IS II today!! Complete on 7/27.

IS II today!! Complete on 7/27.
Congrats!! Out of curiosity, what time of the day did they send the II? Does anyone know if there's a certain time of the day schools send II's (the mornings or afternoons I would assume, right)? Buffalo Jacobs seems like a great school.

Congrats!! Out of curiosity, what time of the day did they send the II? Does anyone know if there's a certain time of the day schools send II's (the mornings or afternoons I would assume, right)? Buffalo Jacobs seems like a great school.
I got the email around 11:30 AM EST so right around early afternoon!

My application still not verified in AACOM. How long does it take to verify? Thanks.

Completed my interview last week, just coming back to give my thoughts. I chose to do it virtually - one with an MD, another with a med student. They split it into two days which was a little annoying, but the interviews were straightforward and very conversational. Asked the standard interview questions and specifics about experiences in my app, no curveballs. Overall seems like a very supportive environment, though they are changing to a newer curriculum next fall.

Reactions: 2 users
Completed my interview last week, just coming back to give my thoughts. I chose to do it virtually - one with an MD, another with a med student. They split it into two days which was a little annoying, but the interviews were straightforward and very conversational. Asked the standard interview questions and specifics about experiences in my app, no curveballs. Overall seems like a very supportive environment, though they are changing to a newer curriculum next fall.
What's the new curriculum?

What's the new curriculum?
From what I gathered in the interview, they're reducing preclinical to 18 months and increasing time spent on rotations. They're also expanding on their active learning curriculum and will be emphasizing more small group learning sessions with faculty/practicing physicians.

From what I gathered in the interview, they're reducing preclinical to 18 months and increasing time spent on rotations. They're also expanding on their active learning curriculum and will be emphasizing more small group learning sessions with faculty/practicing physicians.
Thank you so much for the info!! Also if you don’t mind, how far were interviews scheduled out for?

Thank you so much for the info!! Also if you don’t mind, how far were interviews scheduled out for?
Received the II 8/8 and they told me my interview timeframe was from 8/24-8/30. Adcom sent me specific dates/times on 8/22. So roughly 2-3 weeks.