2023-2024 Buffalo (Jacobs)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received interview invite 02/29, submitted secondary 09/01 I believe. Interview will be on the 20th! I wonder if we will still hear back by the end of March? I went to UB for undergrad and I know that they pull ppl out of WL up to orientation week, but idk if the interviews for March hear by the end of March
 
Received interview invite 02/29, submitted secondary 09/01 I believe. Interview will be on the 20th! I wonder if we will still hear back by the end of March? I went to UB for undergrad and I know that they pull ppl out of WL up to orientation week, but idk if the interviews for March hear by the end of March
Based on the interviews in December, the December decisions included December interviews! If they do the same style as December then decisions are the Thursday after the last interview day. My theory is that the 20th is the last interview day so decisions Thursday the 21st! Someone from this thread did indeed interview Wed and got an A Thu so you might get lucky and avoid the wait!!
 
How’s everyone doing…any recent IIs? Recent interviewees, have they said anything about decisions? How was your experience?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
not sure if this is true but I heard the committee meets every week and decides.. they used to release decisions soon after interviews but this year they started doing it in two specific waves only (dec, march)
Oh that's interesting, good to know! thanks for the info
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Soooo… is that March 15th deadline true? If so we should hear back today
They theoretically could've accepted 180 (current class size I think) during the december interviews, but as we know, schools send out way more As than that typically due to withdrawals and stuff
 
They theoretically could've accepted 180 (current class size I think) during the december interviews, but as we know, schools send out way more As than that typically due to withdrawals and stuff
Let’s hope that’s not the case haha. By AMCAS rules schools can only send out the same number of acceptances that they have seats. That’d be incredibly annoying if 3 months worth of interviews were almost exclusively for the waitlist
 
Let’s hope that’s not the case haha. By AMCAS rules schools can only send out the same number of acceptances that they have seats. That’d be incredibly annoying if 3 months worth of interviews were almost exclusively for the waitlist
I though the rules were that they had to send out a minimum of As = to their number of seats, now I'm confsued 😭
 
Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 11.11.58 AM.png

This is from AAMC website, @LittleCoaks
 
Just opened up my Gmail and saw one notification and my heart sank thinking it was from UB 😭 I actually started shaking I am so nervous. Ended up being a stupid promotional email for another school, lol
felt that, every time i get a podiatry email and it dings my heart stops
 
I have my interview on Monday and would really appreciate any advice and/or tips to prepare! Any thoughts or suggestions would be a huge help 🙂
I did in person but I have to say that my 2 faculty interviewers were very sweet, 1 was more personable while the other was a lot more question and answer. They did the typical questions of why medicine and asked about my activities. Both asked about my research (only had about 150-200 hours). Neither of them asked why UB specifically. Hope that helps! Good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have my interview on Monday and would really appreciate any advice and/or tips to prepare! Any thoughts or suggestions would be a huge help 🙂
I went in person, and had one med student and one faculty member. By far my favorite interview this cycle! Everyone I interacted with was so friendly, from the admissions team down to the student body. Really helped me feel at ease.

Both of my interviews were very conversational, but with the student it was more Q&A- they had a list of questions they went through and asked me (the big ones- tell me about yourself, why medicine, why UB, tell me about a time when….etc) but we also chatted about other things! With the faculty member, they really just asked me about my activities and personal statement, so know your app reaaaally well and be able to talk about your activities in depth. They also asked about hobbies, upcoming plans this summer, my family and upbringing. It was extremely low stress, honestly felt like I was chatting with a colleague. Good luck tomorrow, you will do great!
 
Last edited:
has anyone who is waiting on a decision this week checked their AMCAS account to see if the "Choose Your Medical School" is there? on the off chance that UB notifies AAMC before us...
 
has anyone who is waiting on a decision this week checked their AMCAS account to see if the "Choose Your Medical School" is there? on the off chance that UB notifies AAMC before us...
LMAO I’ve been checking like at least a few times a week, nothing for me yet
 
Either Buffalo is breaking the March 15th rule, all Jan-March interviews were only for the waitlist, or some secret 3rd option. Regardless, i am very annoyed!
 
Either Buffalo is breaking the March 15th rule, all Jan-March interviews were only for the waitlist, or some secret 3rd option. Regardless, i am very annoyed!
They could've filled up just enough to get past the March 15th but are still considering As or WLs since all schools accept more people than they can admit.
 
Either Buffalo is breaking the March 15th rule, all Jan-March interviews were only for the waitlist, or some secret 3rd option. Regardless, i am very annoyed!

The March 15th thing isn’t a hard rule, just so everyone knows. The AAMC website clearly states that they’re guidelines, and “These guidelines are not intended to supersede the policies, timelines, or discretion of the individual schools or programs”.

https://www.aamc.org/services/admi... 15 of the,those acceptance actions to AMCAS.

Hopefully that helps some of you feel a bit better, but the reality is there’s two distinct waves. Buffalo has made no mention that a first-pass interview/acceptance trumps a second-rounder, so there is no basis to believe that any of you are interviewing for waitlist spots, it’s all completely speculation.
 
The March 15th thing isn’t a hard rule, just so everyone knows. The AAMC website clearly states that they’re guidelines, and “These guidelines are not intended to supersede the policies, timelines, or discretion of the individual schools or programs”.

https://www.aamc.org/services/admissions-lifecycle/traffic-rules#:~:text=By March 15 of the,those acceptance actions to AMCAS.

Hopefully that helps some of you feel a bit better, but the reality is there’s two distinct waves. Buffalo has made no mention that a first-pass interview/acceptance trumps a second-rounder, so there is no basis to believe that any of you are interviewing for waitlist spots, it’s all completely speculation.
I did not know it wasn’t a hard rule. Thanks for pointing that out!
 
The March 15th thing isn’t a hard rule, just so everyone knows. The AAMC website clearly states that they’re guidelines, and “These guidelines are not intended to supersede the policies, timelines, or discretion of the individual schools or programs”.

https://www.aamc.org/services/admi... 15 of the,those acceptance actions to AMCAS.

Hopefully that helps some of you feel a bit better, but the reality is there’s two distinct waves. Buffalo has made no mention that a first-pass interview/acceptance trumps a second-rounder, so there is no basis to believe that any of you are interviewing for waitlist spots, it’s all completely speculation.

Also, FWIW, we have 84 members in the accepted students facebook.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so scared at this point. I heard the decision come out next week. They were pretty confident about the timing.