2023-2024 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an IA (which happened over 4 years ago) for drinking on campus. I explained the IA on the primary app. Should I copy and paste the explanation on my secondary? Elaborate on it. or just put NA?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
secondary rec'd July 5th--IS with mediocre stats, URM

Last edited:
How do you attach evidence for the activities? For example a certificate of accomplishment for a community service/advocacy club. Does this count towards the character limit?

How do you attach evidence for the activities? For example a certificate of accomplishment for a community service/advocacy club. Does this count towards the character limit?
I put links into my description, but used bit.ly to try and make them as short as possible so they didn't take away from my character count as much.

Oh were we supposed to attach evidence… Oops…

Reactions: 1 users
My app was verified 6/10. Still haven’t received anything from Davis. Should I assume I won’t be getting a secondary from them? IS and grew up in the Bay Area. I retook the MCAT (score is being released on Tuesday) so are they waiting for that?

Verified 7/10 IS URM secondary received today

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received July 13, 9:30pm. Verified July 10 at 1pm, and application received by Davis July 10 at 6pm.

From Sacramento and strong mission fit

Reactions: 2 users
IS secondary received 7/5. Does anyone know what % applicants receive a secondary?

IS secondary received 7/5. Does anyone know what % applicants receive a secondary?
Medical school secondary applications: Make yours stand out According to this article, potentially less than half?

"In fact, whether or not an applicant gets a secondary application will depend on the institution. For instance, at the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine (UC Davis), less than half of applicants receive a secondary application request."

if we havent gotten a Secondary by now does that mean we were screened out T__T
Not necessarily. It doesn't always happen in order of received. In general though, it’s a computer screen. Adcoms then review apps that do not pass the initial screen. They’ll decide whether to send a secondary or reject the applicant. Secondaries may be offered anytime between now and January.

After you’ve submitted a secondary, several people will read your primary/secondary app before determining whether you are offered an interview.

In terms of how many get a secondary, usually its around 2500-3000 total (varies based on overall number of applicants and fit). About 500 or so interviews are offered each year (again, could be more based on number of overall secondaries submitted and fit).
-Current MS3 familiar with admissions

Does anyone know the percentage of OOS applicants they accept??

RMC employs the following requirements for individual letters of recommendation:

• Academic Letter: an individual who can critically evaluate your academic strengths and abilities, as well as your preparedness and suitability for a rigorous medical school curriculum. The academic letter does not need to be written by a science faculty member.
  • Professional Non-Academic Letter: an individual who has worked with you in a professional capacity and can insightfully address your personal strengths and attributes (e.g. resilience, dependability, social skills, cultural competence, service orientation, etc.) and the value these would bring to the diversity of the class, the patients you see, and the communities we serve. Examples might include a work supervisor, volunteer coordinator, and/or physician shadowed.
  • Personal Letter: an individual who has an in-depth perspective of you and can objectively assess your personal qualities. This letter should be a deeper, more personal letter that discusses who you are as an individual and addresses your personal goals, characteristics, and aspirations for a career in medicine. This individual should be someone who has had substantial contact with you during the past 24 months. Letters from friends and family will not be accepted.
What if I don't have a professional non-academic letter? :cryi: I have really good relationships with the professors I worked with and they wrote about my teamwork and social skills and stuff. is it an instant denial?
@Rooks did you mean to post this on the Rochester page?

So it sounds like they're screening for secondaries. I was verified 6/9...I wonder if I should count this as a loss...

Does anyone know the percentage of OOS applicants they accept??
Applying as OOS is definitely a long shot. For my class, UCD interviewed a total of 7 OOS students and matriculated 6 (I don't know how many submitted a secondary). Class of 2026 had 17 OOS interviews with 5 matriculating. I applied from OOS, and my only ties to the area were my husband's extended family. I am UMR and from a rural community though, so my experiences likely fit what they were looking for.

Is anyone able to view the written descriptions of the activities after they submitted? On my portal it only shows the hours/contact/awards, just want to make sure there wasn't a hiccup that omitted this info.

Is anyone able to view the written descriptions of the activities after they submitted? On my portal it only shows the hours/contact/awards, just want to make sure there wasn't a hiccup that omitted this info.

Same for me! Couldn't view the descriptions.

so excited about this school lol.

• Love
IS secondary received (verified 7/13, no ties to Northern Cali)

OOS secondary received today, ties to NorCal (go Kings!), LM 75. Verified mid-June

Did anyone else get an email from UCD reminding them to take the preview?

Did anyone else get an email from UCD reminding them to take the preview?
Was it like a primary received kind of email? It had the preview exam reminder highlighted and I got it the day I got verified

+1

Late to this thread but secondary received 7/13 after being verified on 7/10. IS, regional ties (Sacramento native), UCD undergrad, low stats, ORM Asian

What are some good activities to highlight? UC Davis looking for underserved work? Also if we were going to put a publication, are you guys using links or pbmid

IS socal with ties to norcal, still waiting. Anyone ever tried calling/emailing admissions?

IS socal with ties to norcal, still waiting. Anyone ever tried calling/emailing admissions?
Same here. I saw in last year's thread that they really don't like being contacted about this kind of stuff

Same here. I saw in last year's thread that they really don't like being contacted about this kind of stuff
I don't think they do. I know some people who applied in previous years and never got the secondary even though they were IS with decent stats. I don't know how much they screen, but I'm guessing they screen for "mission fit"