2023-2024 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you guys are saying you are OOS do you mean you're not from a WWAMI state or that you are simply not from Washington?
Edited my post to clarify I am out of region. Anyone else receiving the pre-secondary is also out of the WWAMI region I believe, otherwise they just send you the secondary if you are a WWAMI resident. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There wasn't an application fee for UW's MSTP secondaries this year, was there? Am I losing my mind? I can't find a receipt of any application fee but my application is supposedly complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS, went to UW for undergrad and i'm being stood up for our second date...

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Have any WWAMI residents received a secondary yet? MT applicant still waiting over here

Have any WWAMI residents received a secondary yet? MT applicant still waiting over here
IS, verified early June and I haven't heard anything yet. Just hoping this is some really thorough pre-screening and they'll get to us all soon.

IS, verified early June and I haven't heard anything yet. Just hoping this is some really thorough pre-screening and they'll get to us all soon.
Maybe it’s taking them longer for first time applicants?

I wonder what percentage of OOR students get secondaries (those with ties and a history of service, that is).

Just received secondary app, WWAMI applicant.

• Wow
Just got a secondary, WWAMI as well. I haven't heard anything about residency certification though, will that come after we submit the secondary or has it just not been sent to me yet?

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a secondary, WWAMI as well. I haven't heard anything about residency certification though, will that come after we submit the secondary or has it just not been sent to me yet?
I just received an additional email titled "UWSOM Application: Verification of Legal Residence Required" a couple of hours after receiving the secondary (Im a MT resident). Keep on the lookout for this!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I just received an additional email titled "UWSOM Application: Verification of Legal Residence Required" a couple of hours after receiving the secondary (Im a MT resident). Keep on the lookout for this!
Okay perfect thank you! I will for sure

I'm WWAMI and haven't received a secondary yet, do you think they're sending them in waves? My primary was verified on 7/6

• Wow
OOR and just now got my secondary app!! I'm SO HAPPY! I know it's /just/ a secondary right now, but UW is my #1 choice! I was scared of being screened out as an OOR applicant.

In state Washington and haven't received secondary (AAMCAS Verified 6/20). I bet they're sending them out in waves

• Care
IS residency questionnaire just received

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
To those that received a secondary today: are you having issues opening the link they sent to access the portal? Mine doesn't seem to work.

Edit: Had to use the second link that was at the end of the email, and it worked. They were two different URLs!

Last edited:
I'm IS but currently attend school OOS. How are others indicating the dates in which they lived somewhere? Should I write the end date as "present" for both my Washington and OOS address? Or do I write the end date for my Washington address as the date in which I moved to college?

To those that received a secondary today: are you having issues opening the link they sent to access the portal? Mine doesn't seem to work.

Edit: Had to use the second link that was at the end of the email, and it worked. They were two different URLs!
Yes! I tried without the www. and it worked!

I'm IS but currently attend school OOS. How are others indicating the dates in which they lived somewhere? Should I write the end date as "present" for both my Washington and OOS address? Or do I write the end date for my Washington address as the date in which I moved to college?
hm my understanding of UW is that there is a major distinction between residency and academic residency. Do you have a drivers license in a state other than Washington? If so you're not a Washington resident (even if you're paying out of state tuition somewhere else). But you should get in touch with admissions to find out the nitty gritty

Ouch - rejected =( I lived in Montana for two years and have worked with underserved communities

"Thank you for applying to the University of Washington School of Medicine (UWSOM). We have completed a preliminary review of your application, and as an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the MD program.

We understand you may be disappointed in this result. Please know that gaining admission as an out-of-region applicant is very competitive and that only a select number of out-of-region applicants are invited to complete the secondary application"

• Sad
  • Care
Ouch - rejected =( I lived in Montana for two years and have worked with underserved communities

"Thank you for applying to the University of Washington School of Medicine (UWSOM). We have completed a preliminary review of your application, and as an out-of-region candidate, you did not meet the criteria for further consideration to the MD program.

We understand you may be disappointed in this result. Please know that gaining admission as an out-of-region applicant is very competitive and that only a select number of out-of-region applicants are invited to complete the secondary application"
Sorry to hear. Was this before the pre secondary question?

For WA applicants who have a secondary: is there an option to select either/no-preference for Seattle or Spokane for your Foundations site? Or do you have to choose between the two?

OOR pre-secondary R received just now. Good luck y'all!

OOR pre-secondary R received just now. Good luck y'all!
Ugh, sorry to hear 😞 They are so stringent on OOR applicants! Can I ask when you submitted the pre-secondary?

Ugh, sorry to hear 😞 They are so stringent on OOR applicants! Can I ask when you submitted the pre-secondary?
Got it and sent it same day 8/3/23

Wow was not expecting this at all- OOR Secondary invitation just received!! Pre-secondary mission statement was submitted on 8/2. Couldn’t be happier.

Wow was not expecting this at all- OOR Secondary invitation just received!! Pre-secondary mission statement was submitted on 8/2. Couldn’t be happier.
Congrats!! That's so exciting! Not sure how much of a role stats play in their decision-making for OOR applicants, but would you mind sharing yours?

Congrats!! That's so exciting! Not sure how much of a role stats play in their decision-making for OOR applicants, but would you mind sharing yours?
I know you were asking the other poster, but I'm also OOR and got a secondary! I have low stats, personally. Low 500's MCAT, 3.45 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA. First gen, low SES. Very nontrad.

I know you were asking the other poster, but I'm also OOR and got a secondary! I have low stats, personally. Low 500's MCAT, 3.45 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA. First gen, low SES. Very nontrad.
Thanks for the reply, and congratulations! I'm also very nontrad. Good to know they value diverse life experiences over stats alone. I submitted my pre-secondary 8/4 so hoping they'll get to me soon and put me out of my misery lol. I applied last cycle as an in-state applicant but was sooooo late (complete December ☠️). This time I'm early but no longer qualify as in-state 😥

Last edited:
  • Care
Thanks for the reply and congratulations! I'm also very nontrad. Good to know they value diverse life experiences over stats alone. I submitted my pre-secondary 8/4 so hoping they'll get to me soon and put me out of my misery lol. I applied last cycle as an in-state applicant but was sooooo late (complete December ☠️). This time I'm early but no longer qualify as in-state 😥
There's still time! Admittedly I had pretty weak ties to Washington in comparison to others after reading some of the comments here, so I'm not super surprised I got the R.

• Care
Thanks for the reply, and congratulations! I'm also very nontrad. Good to know they value diverse life experiences over stats alone. I submitted my pre-secondary 8/4 so hoping they'll get to me soon and put me out of my misery lol. I applied last cycle as an in-state applicant but was sooooo late (complete December ). This time I'm early but no longer qualify as in-state
Yes I actually believe they mean it when they say they take a more holistic approach! So many schools spout it off, but aren't truthful. I wish you the best of luck!

Have there been any IS secondaries received so far (not the residency questionnaire)?

Sure! sGPA and cGPA both at 3.72,
MCAT 512

aight folks how r we answering this disgusting of a question.... I'm more stuck on how to describe my competency part without sounding like an a-hole

Demonstrated competency - Social sciences, Humanities or "Human Condition"

Entering medical students should understand the social forces that shape the health of the individuals and communities they will serve. This includes understanding how social contextual factors and policy operate at the community and national level to impact the health of individuals. Students should be familiar with disparities in health currently present in society and their underlying etiologies. Candidates seeking acceptance to UWSOM can establish competency in this area through course work in the social sciences, humanities or related interdisciplinary fields such as public health or ethnic and gender studies, clinical and/or population health research, service learning, lived experience or a combination of thereof. Examples of social science/humanities coursework to consider: Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Psychology, Religion, History, Philosophy, Literature.

Describe your competency by explaining how you have explored and come to understand issues in the social sciences and humanities as they relate to the practice of medicine.

OOR Secondary application received!! Completed the pre-secondary on 8/4 one day after receiving it.
1692040175968.png

Last edited:
  • Haha