You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Utah
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
plsletmebeadr
Full Member
Just finished my interview, thought it went really great! Hoping the best for all of us 🙂
plsletmebeadr
Full Member
Any current M1s in here? Would love to hear about your experience with the new curriculum since we only had M4s in the Q&A!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ThanosThighs
Full Member
IS II earlier today!! So grateful! I thought it wouldn't happen!! Complete 7/15, LM 70
plsletmebeadr
Full Member
It has been six (6) full days since I interviewed and I’m already losing my mind lol it’s gonna be a loooooong wait til March
any OOS non-WWAMI II (CA Resident lol) ?
The U doesn't do WWAMI, they just have some seats reserved for Idaho residentsany OOS non-WWAMI II (CA Resident lol) ?
UserNameIsTitan
Full Member
I think they meant WICHE, which does give a small amount of preference to Montana studentsThe U doesn't do WWAMI, they just have some seats reserved for Idaho residents
ya that's what I meant, but any II for people not from the region generally?
UserNameIsTitan
Full Member
I can only speak to the folks that were at my interview day, but I don't recall anyone OOR. I think there were about 20 of us and it was Utah and then like 3 WICHE students I think.ya that's what I meant, but any II for people not from the region generally?
i’m from TX but I graduated HS there. everyone else on my day was OOS but had some kinda tie.ya that's what I meant, but any II for people not from the region generally?
Last edited:
plsletmebeadr
Full Member
Same here, a few folks from montana and idaho but mostly IS!I can only speak to the folks that were at my interview day, but I don't recall anyone OOR. I think there were about 20 of us and it was Utah and then like 3 WICHE students I think.
plsletmebeadr
Full Member
Anecdotal but it looks like last year they were completely done interviewing in December even with interviewing 50 more applicants than this year. My II was about a month before their next available so I would expect they send out their last interview invites around mid-November to be finished interviewing by mid-December
Day of reckoning is approachingAnecdotal but it looks like last year they were completely done interviewing in December even with interviewing 50 more applicants than this year. My II was about a month before their next available so I would expect they send out their last interview invites around mid-November to be finished interviewing by mid-December
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mdapplicantround1
New Member
I would take this with a grain of salt. I had a couple of friends who interviewed mid-february and still got accepted.Anecdotal but it looks like last year they were completely done interviewing in December even with interviewing 50 more applicants than this year. My II was about a month before their next available so I would expect they send out their last interview invites around mid-November to be finished interviewing by mid-December
plsletmebeadr
Full Member
Like I said, anecdotal and based on last year 🙂 you should absolutely take anything you see on SDN or Reddit with a grain of saltI would take this with a grain of salt. I had a couple of friends who interviewed mid-february and still got accepted.
UUSOM specifically stated by email that they are only interviewing from September to December this year [emoji4]I would take this with a grain of salt. I had a couple of friends who interviewed mid-february and still got accepted.
individualworry5830
Full Member
Hi! Does anybody know if the U accepts update letters? IS, LM 72, radio silence 🙁 Would really love to provide some relevant updates to my professional life.
They don't unfortunatelyHi! Does anybody know if the U accepts update letters? IS, LM 72, radio silence 🙁 Would really love to provide some relevant updates to my professional life.
Hi! Does anybody know if the U accepts update letters? IS, LM 72, radio silence 🙁 Would really love to provide some relevant updates to my professional life.
IS LM 75 and also nothing
individualworry5830
Full Member
Honestly kinda glad to hear that someone's in a similar boat! Here's hoping for some good news soon!IS LM 75 and also nothing
IS LM 77 +1Honestly kinda glad to hear that someone's in a similar boat! Here's hoping for some good news soon!
IS LM 82 +1IS LM 77 +1
For you guys that haven't heard anything, how would you rate your service and volunteer experience? I feel like that's a part that people don't talk about much, but my understanding is Utah really cares about it
Certainly not the strongest part of my app, but decent, around 500 hours total spread over 4 activities. About 450 of which was non-clinical community based things. Was really hoping for some home court love.For you guys that haven't heard anything, how would you rate your service and volunteer experience? I feel like that's a part that people don't talk about much, but my understanding is Utah really cares about it
Yeah, that's pretty similar to what I had. I hope you hear back soon!Certainly not the strongest part of my app, but decent, around 500 hours total spread over 4 activities. About 450 of which was non-clinical community based things. Was really hoping for some home court love.
Honestly, service was definitely the weakest part of my app, and I got an A last month.For you guys that haven't heard anything, how would you rate your service and volunteer experience? I feel like that's a part that people don't talk about much, but my understanding is Utah really cares about it
Does anyone who has completed the MMI portion of the interview here at Utah or even another school have any tips or advice? This will be my first time ever participating in a MMI style interview and I am nervous.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Present both sides of an argument before choosing one side to reflect as your own and remember that it's not really what position you take that matters, it's how you explain and show your reasoning and thought process. That's what they care aboutDoes anyone who has completed the MMI portion of the interview here at Utah or even another school have any tips or advice? This will be my first time ever participating in a MMI style interview and I am nervous.
Thx toast 🥲Yeah, that's pretty similar to what I had. I hope you hear back soon!
they were 100% the easiest MMI i’ve done, none of the questions are trying to trip you up.Does anyone who has completed the MMI portion of the interview here at Utah or even another school have any tips or advice? This will be my first time ever participating in a MMI style interview and I am nervous.
i think it’s helpful to use “if x, then y” statements to show that you can see both sides!
plsletmebeadr
Full Member
Seems like they’re emphasizing these things to me otherwise there’s no way I would have gotten an II. I’m LM 62 but have 13,000+ hours of clinical experience, 2,000+ of volunteering especially with utah-specific underserved demographics. They seem to be looking at this kind of stuff a lot more than even a couple years ago when I didn’t even get a secondary from themFor you guys that haven't heard anything, how would you rate your service and volunteer experience? I feel like that's a part that people don't talk about much, but my understanding is Utah really cares about it
I have well over 1000 volunteer hours, both clinical and non-clinical.For you guys that haven't heard anything, how would you rate your service and volunteer experience? I feel like that's a part that people don't talk about much, but my understanding is Utah really cares about it
Didn't you interview?I have well over 1000 volunteer hours, both clinical and non-clinical.
individualworry5830
Full Member
super duper non-trad, extensive background in env and social justice leadership, and some interesting life/ work experiences I'd rather not get into detail about on the internet, rural med focus, very strong letters and at least what I feel to be a compelling narrative. also have a demonstrated history of leadership @ the U. service/ volunteer robust but not extensive, mostly because I need to work to support myself and only have so much time.For you guys that haven't heard anything, how would you rate your service and volunteer experience? I feel like that's a part that people don't talk about much, but my understanding is Utah really cares about it
going to try and put it out of my mind as much as I can and focus on the II I do have, and hope that the general radio silence from most of my schools means that no news is good news🙂 I do love the U and would be so thrilled to be a part of this community, but am really trying to take it as it comes and be at peace with whatever comes my way.
Sorry, yes! I thought you meant folks that haven't heard back about interview decisions.Didn't you interview?
I had similar stats - don't lose hope!!You guys all have much better apps than me. I have a 3.7/511 and have not heard back. IS and top choice by far
Don’t sell yourself short. Imposter syndrome is real, you’ve worked hard to be here and deserve to be.You guys all have much better apps than me. I have a 3.7/511 and have not heard back. IS and top choice by far
PharmDtoMD2
Pharmacist/MS0
I'm not sure how many acceptances they have done yet. I only have a few hundred hours of service as well. Interviewed 9/11. This process is so tough! I remain hopeful.You guys all have much better apps than me. I have a 3.7/511 and have not heard back. IS and top choice by far
Congrats on interviewing! I am hopeful too, but still waiting for an interview inviteI'm not sure how many acceptances they have done yet. I only have a few hundred hours of service as well. Interviewed 9/11. This process is so tough! I remain hopeful.
Last edited:
Appeal to school-specific thread: Univ of Utah SOM required PREview for the 2023-2024 cycle.
Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.
HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.
Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.
Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.
Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.
Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!
Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!
Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.
HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.
Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.
Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.
Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.
Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!
Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
badlikethebarbie
New Member
I did on 10/24Any Idaho residents get an II yet?
bananacreampie
Full Member
I've seen a few go out, kind of worrisome 😅 I interviewed last year and feel like I improved my application a lot + submitted much earlier this year (complete 7/7 although I got a second complete email on 7/18??) so hearing nothing kinda makes me sweat 😬Any Idaho residents get an II yet?
star_platinum
Full Member
I also did on 10/24Any Idaho residents get an II yet?