I'm an M2, but I will also provide my perspective here!
1. super collaborative! there are very very few gunners. it was a very pleasant surprise coming from the typical toxic pre-med culture
2. IS - I am fully on financial aid. I am fortunate that I live at home, so I don't need to worry about housing at the moment. However, financial aid does not give a ton for cost of living. Keep that in mind when choosing where you want to live and if you want roommates. I believe you can find the breakdown of how much IS and OOS students get for financial aid on our website
3. We have several different free resources and resources within the community! Each class also has a class counselor. Our class just got a second one to help reduce the student:counselor ratio. I am assuming all of the classes will be getting a second one soon. (
Mental health)
4. there are different tutors for all of the subjects at wayne. You have biochem, anatomy, histology, physiology, clinical skills, etc tutors that you can work with one on one or attend their respective review sessions. You can also reach out to faculty and they are always willing to sit down with you to go over concepts!
5. During M1, we had 3 main exams a block (weeks 3,6,11 I believe). During week 11, you also have an anatomy practice and an NBME exam. You have a full week off leading in the week that has 3 exams. Towards the end of the block, you have a P4 exam as well (this is usually not stressful at all, so don't worry about this one lol). During M2, you have 3 exams a block that roughly follow the weeks 3,6,11 schedule as well.
6. If you fail an exam but still end the block with a 70% overall, nothing happens. If you end the block with <70%, then you take a remediation exam in March that's on that block's material. If you pass this remediation exam, you have a P* on your transcript as opposed to a P for passing the first round with a 70%. I liked the curriculum tbh. There are a couple lectures given by specific faculty that were a little confusing, but I would say 90% of the lectures were okay and the questions on the exams were always fair. If I got a question wrong it was because I didn't know the material, not that they were trying to trick me.
7. Detroit is great! It has a bit of everything for everyone. If you like going out, there are tons of different bars and breweries to explore. Like sports? We have basically anything you want a couple miles from school. Concerts? Also have a ton of those. Nature? We have Belle Isle and the Detroit Riverwalk. Shopping? Lots of suburbs close by with malls. Basically anything that you can think of, we have near the school or close by. The biggest inconvenience is the lack of grocery stores in Detroit. There's a Whole Foods and basically a mini Meijer (for those not from Michigan, it's just our main grocery store).
8. favorite thing: the community. I have yet to have one negative interaction with students here. I love how we are all trying to help each other and no one is really trying to outcompete anyone.
9. least favorite: M2 is not the most organized year. I definitely preferred M1 over M2 in terms of structure and organization. Sometimes it just feels like they are running this year's curriculum completely from scratch when in reality, it has been this way for a couple years with only a few adjustments. It isn't the end of the world and if I was to choose my med school again knowing this information, I would still choose Wayne tbh
Hope that helps! Feel free to reach out with more questions!