2023-2024 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2023: 10:50 AM EST
2022: 8:49 AM EST
2021: 5:13 PM EST
Thanks!! I can't see timestamps on old threads for some reason but I edited my post w this info, appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

This must be the beginning of the fever dream that happens in every year's Cornell thread

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else feel like their interviewers were nice but not incredibly personable/chatty? i see a lot of posts on this thread talking about how their interviews were incredibly positive (which is awesome) but i felt like it was hard for me to do that when my interviewers were a bit more...detached? my student interviewer esp really stuck to his list of questions and didn't really want to engage in follow up conversation. sorry for the semi neurotic post haha i just had this interview a few weeks ago and haven't thought about it much since then until now

Reactions: 2 users
did anyone else feel like their interviewers were nice but not incredibly personable/chatty? i see a lot of posts on this thread talking about how their interviews were incredibly positive (which is awesome) but i felt like it was hard for me to do that when my interviewers were a bit more...detached? my student interviewer esp really stuck to his list of questions and didn't really want to engage in follow up conversation. sorry for the semi neurotic post haha i just had this interview a few weeks ago and haven't thought about it much since then until now
i was p sad after my interview for this exact reason! i felt like my interviewers were super detached and not interested in me and also left over half the interview time for me to ask them questions, which i was not prepared for hahaha

ended up getting the mdphd acceptance in december so you never know!

• Love
Nah ur not the only one, I felt the exact same way back when I interviewed in the fall

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Nah ur not the only one, I felt the exact same way back when I interviewed in the fall
I had two faculty interviews and one was like that while the other was pretty chatty. I think it's up to the personality of the interviewer tbh (and I've noticed med student interviewers def stick to the script more and are a bit more awkward probably bc it's new to them)

Definitely agree that my student interviewer relied more heavily on their list of questions, which sort of makes sense. I am guessing since they are not part of the ADCOM collective that make the final decision, they have to use other methods for determining which students they think fit within the vibe of the school. I read once that student interviewers stick to the same list of question to have objective measure by which to assign ranking or a grade to their interviewees. My faculty interview though was more conversational I would say. It went longer than the 30 minutes allotted and she seemed engaged. I think we are all just panicking at this point, and I know there are times I wonder whether I would have increased my chances had i answered some the questions differently.

Should I just lose all hope here if I haven’t heard anything since submission? I also sent a pre-II update in Jan so I thought that might give me a better chance 🫠

Should I just lose all hope here if I haven’t heard anything since submission? I also sent a pre-II update in Jan so I thought that might give me a better chance 🫠
I think it's pretty much over unfortunately :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Found this old thread and added the last couple years (can I count this as non-clinical volunteering)

2023: Friday Feb 24th (10:50 AM EST)
2022: Saturday Feb 26th (8:49 AM EST)
2021: Monday March 8th (5:13 PM EST)
2020: Friday March 13th (decisions largely around 3:30 pm PST
“2019: Friday March 8 (First Acceptance at 3:03 PM)
2018: Thursday March 8 (First Acceptance at 3:21 PM)
2017: Thursday March 9 (First Acceptance at 1:32 PM)
2016: Wednesday February 24 (First Acceptance at 12:14)
2015: Thursday March 12 (First Acceptance at 10:31 AM)
2014: Thursday March 13 (First Acceptance at 10:13 AM)
2013: Monday March 11 (First Acceptance at 9:38 AM)
2012: Thursday March 15 (First Acceptance at 9:06 AM)
2011: Tuesday March 8 (First Acceptance at 9:51 AM)
2010: Wednesday March 3 (First Acceptance at 2:55 PM)
2009: Friday February 27 (First Acceptance at 11:22 AM)
2008: Friday March 7 (Can't find SDN Thread)”
Is someone neurotic (best way possible) enough to find the advertised decision release months in those years? (Did they advertise February as the decision release time for the 2022-23 cycle?)

• Haha
Is someone neurotic (best way possible) enough to find the advertised decision release months in those years? (Did they advertise February as the decision release time for the 2022-23 cycle?)
Don't have the energy to check previous years but last year at least it was advertised as March. Hope they keep up the pattern of sending it a week or two earlier this year as well

Anyone have an idea how many international students Cornell has accepted in the past?

Welp Texas schools didn’t show me any love this school is officially my last hope

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Although I didn't receive an R yet, they’ve wrapped up their interview season. Just letting other ppl know who are in the same boat lol

• Care
Unfortunately yes. :,( They told me when I reached out for a status update.
are they done for sure? I thought Cornell was my best app, and I had several people there tell me I would get an interview for sure so this absolutely sucks. Congrats to everyone who did get one tho!!

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any insight/hunch for decision day? People still thinking March 1?

Does anyone have any insight/hunch for decision day? People still thinking March 1?
That’s what I’m guessing since last year the accepted students day was about a week earlier than it is this year and they released decisions Feb 24th. This process is so unpredictable though so I could be wrong!

i know decisions will likely go out on March 1st but really really hoping they come out this friday 🤞
Idk dude last year they said that the second look would be in April this year they have it set to March 22-23 so who knows maybe it will be

Idk dude last year they said that the second look would be in April this year they have it set to March 22-23 so who knows maybe it will be
yeah based on the last two years i'm starting to refresh tmw evening and will not stop til we hear back

• Haha
yeah based on the last two years i'm starting to refresh tmw evening and will not stop til we hear back
I’m getting off sdn tmr night I have a feeling they’re gonna send out that trainings email and if I don’t get it and i see others get it I’m gonna be sad

• Care
I’m getting off sdn tmr night I have a feeling they’re gonna send out that trainings email and if I don’t get it and i see others get it I’m gonna be sad
Is this like a guaranteed A if you get? Confused on what this email would be about.

Is this like a guaranteed A if you get? Confused on what this email would be about.
Based on last year, yeah... As far as I can tell, everyone who got emails about trainings to complete got As a bit later

I'm assuming it was a glitch that they got the training emails first though. I'd be surprised if it happens again this year...

Did they say whether accepted students will be notified by email or phone?

Hi! I am building a school list and looking for current M3/M4's that can speak a little bit about Cornell!

Specifically, I have the following questions (please feel free to answer as many as you have time for, I know it is a lot!):

- Does Cornell have a home hospital?
- What is your preclinical grading system?
- How are students ranked?
- How often did you have exams during your preclinical years?
- Are these exams based more on lecture/in-house or NBME material?
- What are the attendance expectations (for lecture, PBL, etc)?
- What happens if you fail an exam (is it marked on your transcript)?
- What is your clinical grading system?
- What % of students earn honors per rotation (if applicable)?
- Who chooses which order your rotations are in (students, lottery, other)?
- If you could describe the environment during your rotations in one word, what would it be?
- How much time do you have for electives?
- Do you have AOA at Cornell?

Thanks so much in advance for answering! I appreciate you making time for this :)

Hi! I am building a school list and looking for current M3/M4's that can speak a little bit about Cornell!

Specifically, I have the following questions (please feel free to answer as many as you have time for, I know it is a lot!):

- Does Cornell have a home hospital?
- What is your preclinical grading system?
- How are students ranked?
- How often did you have exams during your preclinical years?
- Are these exams based more on lecture/in-house or NBME material?
- What are the attendance expectations (for lecture, PBL, etc)?
- What happens if you fail an exam (is it marked on your transcript)?
- What is your clinical grading system?
- What % of students earn honors per rotation (if applicable)?
- Who chooses which order your rotations are in (students, lottery, other)?
- If you could describe the environment during your rotations in one word, what would it be?
- How much time do you have for electives?
- Do you have AOA at Cornell?

Thanks so much in advance for answering! I appreciate you making time for this :)
Many of these are google-able

Reactions: 10 users
Many of these are google-able
yeah you're right, especially the first few. but as I'm trying to do this for every school, and planning to share result in a public format, I figured asking online (as I'm doing here) once per school would be more time efficient. especially since it is only me and one friend working on this spreadsheet. I'll backfill as needed and dig deeper when I get conflicting answers though!

yeah you're right, especially the first few. but as I'm trying to do this for every school, and planning to share result in a public format, I figured asking online (as I'm doing here) once per school would be more time efficient. especially since it is only me and one friend working on this spreadsheet. I'll backfill as needed and dig deeper when I get conflicting answers though!
Makes sense. The spreadsheet sounds like a great idea but I think I’m speaking for many if not most people in this thread that we created a spreadsheet for ourselves like the one you’re talking about. You might have an easier time creating it by posting in a main pre med thread to ask if people would be willing to share their notes in order to create a master spreadsheet to share. One thing about pre meds is we all probably neurotically researched lol
Also I remember way in the beginning of the cycle googling grading of medical schools and finding a website that had a very extensive list of grading policies at a ton of schools. I’ll see if I can find and I’ll DM you my stuff

Reactions: 4 users
That’s what I’m guessing since last year the accepted students day was about a week earlier than it is this year and they released decisions Feb 24th. This process is so unpredictable though so I could be wrong!
Just adding to the speculation lol: Last year, MSAR had the decision date as March 13th but decisions came out Feb 24th. This year, MSAR says March 1st, so theoretically they should come out earlier this year than last year? Maybe not though, since, following that logic, we would have gotten decisions a week or two ago 😅

I wonder if the training emails were a glitch that forced them to release decisions early :unsure:

Makes sense. The spreadsheet sounds like a great idea but I think I’m speaking for many if not most people in this thread that we created a spreadsheet for ourselves like the one you’re talking about. You might have an easier time creating it by posting in a main pre med thread to ask if people would be willing to share their notes in order to create a master spreadsheet to share. One thing about pre meds is we all probably neurotically researched lol
Also I remember way in the beginning of the cycle googling grading of medical schools and finding a website that had a very extensive list of grading policies at a ton of schools. I’ll see if I can find and I’ll DM you my stuff
@purdey - somehow I am not allowed to message to you. Could you please, share this spreadsheet with me as well? Thanks in advance.

Ok so here's what I've found for MSAR vs actual decision date vs second look:
2024: March 1st vs _________ vs March 22-23rd
2023: March 13th vs Feb 24th vs March 17-18th
2022: March 11th vs Feb 26th vs April (no specific date found)
2021: March 12th vs March 8th vs April (no specific date found)

Unfortunately, I feel like March 1st is probably the decision date... Last year's early release was probably a glitch and the time between decisions and second look in the previous years was probably due to COVID.

• Love
Ok so here's what I've found for MSAR vs actual decision date vs second look:
2024: March 1st vs _________ vs March 22-23rd
2023: March 13th vs Feb 24th vs March 17-18th
2022: March 11th vs Feb 26th vs April (no specific date found)
2021: March 12th vs March 8th vs April (no specific date found)

Unfortunately, I feel like March 1st is probably the decision date... Last year's early release was probably a glitch and the time between decisions and second look in the previous years was probably due to COVID.
Thank you for your service. Agree I think last year they may have rushed it b/c of the trainings email glitch. They also usually start releasing before 12 PM EST so I think it will be 3/1 too instead of today

Thank you for your service. Agree I think last year they may have rushed it b/c of the trainings email glitch. They also usually start releasing before 12 PM EST so I think it will be 3/1 too instead of today
12 minutes left bubba dont count it out

• Haha
Friend who is a student there told me decisions come out next week

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

I answered what I can below. Our handbook is also available online if you have any really detailed questions.
  • Does Cornell have a home hospital? Yes, NYP/WCMC. The med school is attached. (We also rotate through MSK, HSS, and other NYP locations around NYC)
  • What is your preclinical grading system? Pass / Fail
  • How are students ranked? The school says we aren't, but they do consider grades for AOA.
  • How often did you have exams during your preclinical years? Weekly quizzes during 1st semester, every 1-2 weeks for the rest.
  • Are these exams based more on lecture/in-house or NBME material? They're all written by faculty, a few quizzes are STEP style.
  • What are the attendance expectations (for lecture, PBL, etc)? Lecture isn't required. Small group sessions, anatomy lab, and patient presentations are required. There's a handful required sessions per week, and PBLs usually start at 8 am.
  • What happens if you fail an exam (is it marked on your transcript)? Weekly exams are averaged out for each unit, so you can fail an exam and still pass the unit. If you fail a unit, you remediate down the line. (I'm not sure how it's actually notated on the transcript)
  • What is your clinical grading system? Honors / High pass / Pass / Fail
  • Do you have AOA at Cornell? Yes
Hope that helps, and good luck to everyone waiting for decisions! :)

Reactions: 3 users
if they're done with II, do they wait until the reject everyone all at once?