A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@NVO

Congrats on the II! when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
haven't been on this website in decades, but if anyone has any questions, please ask. i don't see many current students on here so that's why i'm offering.

i'm a fourth year, so i've just about seen it all. i will admit that the curriculum has changed since i was there, so i may not be able to comment on that too much.

congrats to the new class. i think you all will be very happy with your decision.

Ah good to see you back on here my friend.

Fourth year here as well, ask away! Congrats to those accepted so far, and good luck to those still in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious how many seats are still available. I wasn't sure how early this class fills up and I am interviewing here next week. Definitely my first choice! Also, any advice for the interviews? I saw that there is an admissions staff interview but it doesn't specify 1:1. Thanks in advance! :)

haven't been on this website in decades, but if anyone has any questions, please ask. i don't see many current students on here so that's why i'm offering.

i'm a fourth year, so i've just about seen it all. i will admit that the curriculum has changed since i was there, so i may not be able to comment on that too much.

congrats to the new class. i think you all will be very happy with your decision.
Hello I may be attending this medical school next year… I was just curious to know where the best places are to live for first-year medical students in Kirksville

Reactions: 1 users
Hello I may be attending this medical school next year… I was just curious to know where the best places are to live for first-year medical students in Kirksville

Interested in this as well

Ah good to see you back on here my friend.

Fourth year here as well, ask away! Congrats to those accepted so far, and good luck to those still in the application process.

:thumbup:

I lived in student housing, which is right across the street from school. Literally a 3 minute walk from my door to the classroom and the same distance to the gym. I actually think student housing is an advantage that a lot of DO schools don't offer. The rent was cheap (~$400/month; I think it's gone up a little bit) and it was extremely convenient. The apartments come furnished and you can get a 1 bedroom, 1 bedroom with a study, or a two bedroom (rent varies accordingly). Wifi is included. The disadvantage is that you have to pay ~$1.50 for each load of laundry (total to wash and dry) and you do not get a washer and dryer in your individual room. There is a community area to do your laundry. I'd definitely recommend it if you are single and don't have a family. They aren't the nicest apartments, but they are certainly adequate if you aren't high maintenance and don't intend on living luxuriously.

A lot of other students rent/buy houses and apartments for very cheap that are close to campus. @dntke1518 can add some more detail here.

And for the students considering living in student housing: get on it ASAP. They actually fill very fast, so if you're interested, stay on top of it.

I lived in student housing, which is right across the street from school. Literally a 3 minute walk from my door to the classroom and the same distance to the gym. I actually think student housing is an advantage that a lot of DO schools don't offer. The rent was cheap (~$400/month; I think it's gone up a little bit) and it was extremely convenient. The apartments come furnished and you can get a 1 bedroom, 1 bedroom with a study, or a two bedroom (rent varies accordingly). Wifi is included. The disadvantage is that you have to pay ~$1.50 for each load of laundry (total to wash and dry) and you do not get a washer and dryer in your individual room. There is a community area to do your laundry. I'd definitely recommend it if you are single and don't have a family. They aren't the nicest apartments, but they are certainly adequate if you aren't high maintenance and don't intend on living luxuriously.

A lot of other students rent/buy houses and apartments for very cheap that are close to campus. @dntke1518 can add some more detail here.

And for the students considering living in student housing: get on it ASAP. They actually fill very fast, so if you're interested, stay on top of it.

I lived off campus but within a 5 minute walk from school. I rented from Heritage House and they were pretty good, except for a few issues with my unit. I would echo what MBeas said, student housing is probably the best option (minus the laundry).

Interview scheduled for Jan 22.....hope this is not too late in the game! Seems like a great school

Interview scheduled for Jan 22.....hope this is not too late in the game! Seems like a great school
When were you complete? Did the school ever send you an email saying you were complete or did you just have to check the portal?

What's their policy for pets?

What's their policy for pets?

No pets allowed, unfortunately (unless you are thinking of a betta fish). I heard of a student who secretly had a cat but I'd advise against that.

Put my deposit down and turned my paperwork in last week! I am excited to meet you all future classmates

Members don't see this ad :)
When were you complete? Did the school ever send you an email saying you were complete or did you just have to check the portal?
I never checked the portal. I got an email saying they processed my application Nov 16.

Can anybody inform me of the research opportunities at KCOM? Such as, which fields (PM&R, IM, EM, Family, Derm, Surg, etc..) they offer research opportunities for? I do recall them mentioning research opportunities for OMM, but that's all I can seem to find.

Last edited:
Interested in this as well
My advice would be to reach out to the Student Advocate Association at the school. They have a really good list of landlords and the ratings students have given them.

Interview schedule for next Friday. I heard there is a meeting where spouses are invited to attend? I haven't received any info besides basically that my interview was scheduled. Any tips or suggestions would be great. (I will read through the thread later I just don't have time right now). Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Interview schedule for next Friday. I heard there is a meeting where spouses are invited to attend? I haven't received any info besides basically that my interview was scheduled. Any tips or suggestions would be great. (I will read through the thread later I just don't have time right now). Thanks guys.

If you indicated on your interview sign up that your spouse will be coming, they'll have a badge for them and they can sit in on the orientation meeting, lunch and tour. They'll have a member of the SSA and a faculty member talk to them about the SSA (it's the spouse and significant other association) and living in Kirksville while you interview.

Anyone know the acceptance rate post interview? Really excited about this school.

If you indicated on your interview sign up that your spouse will be coming, they'll have a badge for them and they can sit in on the orientation meeting, lunch and tour. They'll have a member of the SSA and a faculty member talk to them about the SSA (it's the spouse and significant other association) and living in Kirksville while you interview.
To add to this, kids are also welcome - they even get a goody-bag! I think the SAA's interaction isn't quite as formal, or at least so I've heard.

Congrats to all newly accepted students to KCOM! Currently a first year here. Let me know if you have any questions (housing, transitioning to Kirksville/Kvegas, first year stuff, etc.). You can privately contact me through studentdoc, or reply to this thread. This school is absolutely amazing, and very happy about my choice to attend here.

Whaddup Mike? Another first year here, mirroring the above comments. Happy to help with any questions or whatever else. Love this place.

I've been complete since 8/20 and still have heard no news. I emailed a few weeks ago and they said I was still under review. I wish I could just have an answer. I'd love to interview here since it's my home state, but I'm feeling a rejection coming since it's been so long.

I've been complete since 8/20 and still have heard no news. I emailed a few weeks ago and they said I was still under review. I wish I could just have an answer. I'd love to interview here since it's my home state, but I'm feeling a rejection coming since it's been so long.
I think for this school no news is good news. I know people have been rejected with complete dates past yours. Just stay patient until you receive a rejection your still under review. Sometimes people on the committee cant decide so they just keep you on hold and review you periodically. STAY POSITIVE :)

I think for this school no news is good news. I know people have been rejected with complete dates past yours. Just stay patient until you receive a rejection your still under review. Sometimes people on the committee cant decide so they just keep you on hold and review you periodically. STAY POSITIVE :)
I second that. Staying positive will take you a long way!

Yeah you guys are right. Kirksville is an awesome school, and I should be happy that they are still considering me =)

I have been complete here for awhile and haven't heard anything. Pretty decent stats but nothing. Best of luck and I feel ya...

Acceptance call today (after interviewing on 12/7)!! Kirksville is definitely at the top of my list - seems like a great school. Best of luck to all of you still eagerly waiting to hear back! Sending positive vibes your way :)

Should I even send my secondary to this school or have the remaining interview dates been filled?

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone. Really tough decision. I have nothing but good things to say about this school from when I visited.

Accepted on Monday, really excited to be going here next year!

Does anyone know if by chance there are any hotels that offer shuttle service to the school or have any kind of discounts for interviewees?

I don't know that you'd find any that offer a shuttle to campus, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. The Holiday Inn has a car rental place across the street, and there's a few taxi services in town. It was pretty slow at the hotel I was at and the room was affordable, so if you're calling about the shuttle already I'd ask about discounts as well.

Does anyone know if by chance there are any hotels that offer shuttle service to the school or have any kind of discounts for interviewees?

Days inn took a whopping 7 dollars off my room price bc I was interviewing. Holiday inn offers no discounts. The Knights inn...I was too scared to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I even send my secondary to this school or have the remaining interview dates been filled?
Send it! They interview through March, I was complete mid-Nov and they processed everything very quickly. I think interview dates are filling in February now.

Send it! They interview through March, I was complete mid-Nov and they processed everything very quickly. I think interview dates are filling in February now.
Would you share your stats? I was complete 11/4 but no updates or snail mail.

Interviewed here on Dec. 11th. My favorite interview experience thus far, however, the more and more I think about it, the worse and worse I feel that I did. Hopefully nerves didn't get the best of me.

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone. Really tough decision. I have nothing but good things to say about this school from when I visited.

+1. It's a little panic-inducing to turn down an acceptance!

Just got the acceptance call 5 seconds after I posted that. I can't believe it. ME: a bouncer, a waiter, a feed mill worker, and now a med student. GOD is GOOD!

Reactions: 11 users
Just got the acceptance call 5 seconds after I posted that. I can't believe it. ME: a bouncer, a waiter, a feed mill worker, and now a med student. GOD is GOOD!
Awesome! Congrats

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Interviewed here on Dec. 11th. My favorite interview experience thus far, however, the more and more I think about it, the worse and worse I feel that I did. Hopefully nerves didn't get the best of me.

My favorite interview experience as well, loved the school and people! Congrats on your acceptance! Hope I am lucky enough to be able to join ya next year!

What's your opinion on calling for a status update after interviewing?