Albany vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your comments, chessodoc & handy388!

I had the same experience as Handy at Albany; I liked Albany Medical College itself, and the admissions office was very friendly...though I thought the city of Albany gave off a rundown and tired vibe. And my single interview was very conversational without any ethical questions, even though I've heard that many people get them there.

Any more comments?

For selfish reasons, I'd advocate going to the NYMC interview... the location's much more appetizing and who knows, you may really love the school. (The selfish part being that I don't have an interview at NYMC, while I did have an interview at Albany... and now I'm stuck in limbo on their list ;))

Seriously though, if you really liked Albany and can picture yourself being happy there, I would forego the NYMC interview. It's a lot of money, after all. Otoh, Albany IS one of the most expensive medical schools around... so if you've got other places you could potentially be happy at, might be worth looking into it.

The real question is... say you got accepted at both NYMC and Albany... which would you pick? Let that answer guide you.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang...I still don't know...ahhh! I really would like to go see the school, but....one thousand dollars! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Plane rides cost ~$325 each way. Add lodging + transportation + meals, and it easily reaches $1k.

oh wow, are you coming from the east coast. 325 each way :eek:

but fizzle, i personally would recommend visiting all schools because you learn stuff that you otherwise will not find out. of course there is monetary concerns. if you like NYMC from what you've heard so far I would go. but if you already know something that is like hmmm i don't like then i would say save the money. good luck!

but fizzle, i personally would recommend visiting all schools because you learn stuff that you otherwise will not find out. of course there is monetary concerns. if you like NYMC from what you've heard so far I would go. but if you already know something that is like hmmm i don't like then i would say save the money. good luck!

Thanks bluesmd...I think I'm just going to wait for the end of this week to see if I hear back from any schools post-interview...if not, then I guess I'll go. :confused: Bah. :cry: Bye bye, all my hard-earned money

Thanks bluesmd...I think I'm just going to wait for the end of this week to see if I hear back from any schools post-interview...if not, then I guess I'll go. :confused: Bah. :cry: Bye bye, all my hard-earned money

which schools are you waiting to hear back from. maybe you could call and ask them when your decision comes out. but yeah it kinda blows to have to drop $1000 to be grilled and then have another decision to worry about ... there is just no certainty in this app process

Ohhh dang, I realized that I misread the whole pricing--it's about $325 for the round trip! :laugh: I feel so stupid now. I guess I'm going, then :)

I liked NYMC a lot and decided to withdraw my app. from albany after being offered an interview. I was really impressed by NYMC, I think you should definitely interview.

But I interviewed at Alabany and did not like the location at all. The facilities seemed to be pretty run down as well. At my interview I did not see a single factor that justifies the high tuition. But this is just my personal opinion and take it with a grain of salt.

anyone else want to chime in?

I slightly prefer NYMC to Albany but the merger situation has me a little skeptical. Thanks in advance.

anyone else want to chime in?

I slightly prefer NYMC to Albany but the merger situation has me a little skeptical. Thanks in advance.
the merger isnt finalized is it? I remember reading it was more just in the works but not set in stone. Something like they have been much farther with other schools and nothing came about from those?

the merger isnt finalized is it? I remember reading it was more just in the works but not set in stone. Something like they have been much farther with other schools and nothing came about from those?

As far as I know, they are still in negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.