2020-2021 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A poem I wrote about being on the waitlist and checking SDN:

Constantly, I refresh
To check waitlist progress
The urge is hard to suppress
And it's making me depressed

Searching for clues
Is all I can do
Oh - someone withdrew
Maybe there's room for you

Each day that goes by
I try not to cry
As I start to deny
That I'll get a reply

It's hard to have hope
At least it's not 'nope'
I try not to mope
And to keep things in scope

I hope schools see me
As I once saw myself
Before this whole cycle
Made me feel like someone else

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
A poem I wrote about being on the waitlist and checking SDN:

Constantly, I refresh
To check waitlist progress
The urge is hard to suppress
And it's making me depressed

Searching for clues
Is all I can do
Oh - someone withdrew
Maybe there's room for you

Each day that goes by
I try not to cry
As I start to deny
That I'll get a reply

It's hard to have hope
At least it's not 'nope'
I try not to mope
And to keep things in scope

I hope schools see me
As I once saw myself
Before this whole cycle
Made me feel like someone else
Very clever. I think many are sharing your angst, stress, feeling of limbo. Hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we can visit the campus yet for like a touring?

will be withdrawing my A later tonight. this is honestly a super wonderful school, congrats to whoever gets offered the A!!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hey you good people! I wanted to come on here to give you guys some hope. This was my 3rd application cycle and I was prepping for a 4th.. these years included a lot of frustration, sleepless nights, anxiety, and significant pressures from family members who didn’t understand why it is so hard to get into med school.

first cycle = 0 interviews
second cycle = 2 interviews; 2 MD waitlists
third cycle: 1 MD ... 1A😭

After my second cycle, I was heart broken when I wasn’t pulled off either waitlist. I decided to move away from home and start fresh. I was pretty lost but found my way with new hobbies/jobs. I was blessed to interview in sept at Albany, but was put on the UC list 6 weeks later. And tbh, my outlook on waitlists was pretty negative from the previous cycle. I never thought I’d come off this year. A few days ago, I was so shocked to receive an A that I actually came on here to see if they had an email glitch. After 60+ Rejections over 3 years, I finally did it. The feeling is completely indescribable. AND HEY ALL YOU NEED is 1!!!

So when the times get tough, reach out to your friends, family, doctors, and even other sdn members for support. We’re all in this together guys. Although our timelines may differ, we will all be doctors one day. Stay with it, it’s so worth it. You are enough. Goodluck to everyone still in this cycle and your future careers. It’s time for me to have another drink, cheers sdn

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Hey you good people! I wanted to come on here to give you guys some hope. This was my 3rd application cycle and I was prepping for a 4th.. these years included a lot of frustration, sleepless nights, anxiety, and significant pressures from family members who didn’t understand why it is so hard to get into med school.

first cycle = 0 interviews
second cycle = 2 interviews; 2 MD waitlists
third cycle: 1 MD ... 1A😭

After my second cycle, I was heart broken when I wasn’t pulled off either waitlist. I decided to move away from home and start fresh. I was pretty lost but found my way with new hobbies/jobs. I was blessed to interview in sept at Albany, but was put on the UC list 6 weeks later. And tbh, my outlook on waitlists was pretty negative from the previous cycle. I never thought I’d come off this year. A few days ago, I was so shocked to receive an A that I actually came on here to see if they had an email glitch. After 60+ Rejections over 3 years, I finally did it. The feeling is completely indescribable. AND HEY ALL YOU NEED is 1!!!

So when the times get tough, reach out to your friends, family, doctors, and even other sdn members for support. We’re all in this together guys. Although our timelines may differ, we will all be doctors one day. Stay with it, it’s so worth it. You are enough. Goodluck to everyone still in this cycle and your future careers. It’s time for me to have another drink, cheers sdn
Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing :) Your tenacity shows and I'm so happy for you!! I really like what you said about rediscovering your hobbies and such
There is more to life than this dreadful cycle even though it feels all consuming at times

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
It looks like for this year, people were taken off of the alternate list very early on compared to previous years. Also, it looks like individuals weren't taken off of UC for pretty much the entire month of April this year.

I wonder what this means? I'm just trying to get over missing the first week of alternate list acceptances lol..

It looks like for this year, people were taken off of the alternate list very early on compared to previous years. Also, it looks like individuals weren't taken off of UC for pretty much the entire month of April this year.

I wonder what this means? I'm just trying to get over missing the first week of alternate list acceptances lol..
Could be they wanted to wait until everyone withdrew before sending more acceptances. Then a wave was sent last week and will likely continue happening every so often until classes start / class is full

Could be they wanted to wait until everyone withdrew before sending more acceptances. Then a wave was sent last week and will likely continue happening every so often until classes start / class is full
How many acceptances you think are left to give out, rough ball park estimate?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Got my R from here today after previously being put on UC. Good luck to you all!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So excited just received my A about an hour ago! This was my only II so it's true it only takes one! Good luck to everyone else on the AL list!

Reactions: 14 users
This amount of alt. list movement early on is quite encouraging....

EDIT: compared to previous years

This amount of alt. list movement early on is quite encouraging....

EDIT: compared to previous years
Thank you for saying that
Every time I hear of movement I'm not a part of I try to remember that it's good there's movement but it never fully offsets the panic and crushing feelings of defeat

Reactions: 2 users
Every time I hear of movement I'm not a part of I try to remember that it's good there's movement but it never fully offsets the panic and crushing feelings of defeat
I'm fighting those feelings too!

Ultimately, I refuse to start feeling doom and gloom until lateish June....It's only been 10 days since April 30th and waitlist movement is sure to continue, and that's something worth celebrating :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I feel the same exact way every time there's movement and I'm not a part of it.

• Care
This is dreadful ya'll I'm not even gonna pretend like it's not.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my A today! Just thought I'd give some ppl on the AL more hope. Hang in there, you got this!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
This is dreadful ya'll I'm not even gonna pretend like it's not.
It’s worse than dreadful, but you know what, when and if we get that acceptance, it will make it THAT much better...

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
How hopefully are we y'all?

Sorry about that. Hopefully you get in at some place.
Thank you, I did! Hoping you guys pull through too if you haven’t already heard back from somewhere else. All it takes is 1 🙏

has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement in the past few days or had any interaction with the adcom?

• Sad
Got accepted off AL yest but unfortunately do not have a Facebook account anymore lol. I deleted last year and cannot recover. Is there a groupme or something?
I will DM you the link :)

This is brutal. I'm trying to hold onto hope...but it's just not working

• Care
Anyone elses application portal still say "items received as of 5/11/21"?

Strange that they haven't updated for that long.

Edit: what does everyone else’s say??

Last edited:
This AL movement has to get rolling sometime

Has anyone gotten feedback from Albany about their application? Even though you’re on the AL?

for those who were accepted off the alternate list, what time frame were you given to respond to the acceptance offer?

Just curious, has anyone not heard a single thing from Albany? As in I never interviewed so clearly I'm rejected but never got a rejection email?

Just curious, has anyone not heard a single thing from Albany? As in I never interviewed so clearly I'm rejected but never got a rejection email?
Have you checked spam? Lot of emails go to spam from AMC. Also yes their season is over. Now it's waitlist or bust.

This was me until I emailed them because I was like um what is going and they were like yeah you are rejected. Unsure why they couldnt like send an actual email...

withdrew from the AL, good luck everybody!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users