2019-2020 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EDIT: I also don't understand how the class can continue to be "not full." Like can't they just let the top 30 people off of the AL and then go from there?

I’m guessing they mean not everyone has CTE’d yet? Like someone else said, they send an A and give 1-2 weeks to decide, which stalls movement for everyone else. Plus many students may be holding out for other waitlist schools which could cause a low CTE number. If they admit 30 people from the AL and a majority commit to Albany, they have a problem if the students accepted earlier end up committing too. For example, there’s another med school that only gives out the same number of A’s as the class size at any given time after 4/30. I’m sure most schools do something similar this late in the game.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m guessing they mean not everyone has CTE’d yet? Like someone else said, they send an A and give 1-2 weeks to decide, which stalls movement for everyone else. Plus many students may be holding out for other waitlist schools which could cause a low CTE number. If they admit 30 people from the AL and a majority commit to Albany, they have a problem if the students accepted earlier end up committing too. For example, there’s another med school that only gives out the same number of A’s as the class size at any given time after 4/30. I’m sure most schools do something similar this late in the game.

Honestly AMC should shorten the window to <1 weeks and make this process faster.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly AMC should shorten the window to <1 weeks and make this process faster.
I thought the window was 3 business days?

But I suppose that they are at 1-to-1 replacement for the class in general, but they just don’t have the ~150 CTEs they want.

Members don't see this ad :)
2020: The Year of the Unknown

Reactions: 10 users
May thy email inboxes be flooded with acceptances by day's end

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
98 people in the group me and 138 in the Facebook group
So that kind of implies that there are still open spots? Since the group me is more accurate than Facebook and the class is targeted to be ~130 people.

Reactions: 1 user
So that kind of implies that there are still open spots? Since the group me is more accurate than Facebook and the class is targeted to be ~130 people.

Yeah, I believe you’re correct. The class size is intended to be 140 according to the ‘AL offer’ email that was sent on May 1st.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I believe you’re correct. The class size is intended to be 140 according to the ‘AL offer’ email that was sent on May 1st.
I feel like we keep Coming up with things that are encouraging but then never hear when the good things happen. Lol

Was just accepted off of the alternate list. Will be withdrawing

Reactions: 11 users
Yay! We finally have confirmation!

Congratulations on your acceptance and thank you for letting us all know that they were letting people off of the AL in the first place.

Out of curiosity, was there any information in their correspondence that would prove to be helpful to any of us?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also accepted off the alternate list! No specifics about how the rest of the process will pan out, but here are some details:

"To accept your spot in the class of 2024, please complete the acceptance checklist in your AMC portal within 3 days. The acceptance deposit must be received in our office within a week.

You can track your acceptance checklist progress using the Application Status section of your AMC applicant portal.
It may take 24-48 hours for updates to process.

Please Note: Accepted applicants must "Plan to Enroll" to Albany Medical College using the AAMC Choose Your Medical School Tool within 24 hours to maintain their seat in our incoming class."

Reactions: 6 users
Also accepted off the alternate list! No specifics about how the rest of the process will pan out, but here are some details:

"To accept your spot in the class of 2024, please complete the acceptance checklist in your AMC portal within 3 days. The acceptance deposit must be received in our office within a week.

You can track your acceptance checklist progress using the Application Status section of your AMC applicant portal.

Please Note: Accepted applicants must "Plan to Enroll" to Albany Medical College using the AAMC Choose Your Medical School Tool within 24 hours to maintain their seat in our incoming class."
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

I find it peculiar that no one in this forum had been accepted for weeks, but now two people have been accepted. Makes me think the movement before was either small or non-existent. Hopefully there will be more good news in the coming days/weeks!

I don’t want to give you a hard time, but why did you keep yourself on the alternate list if you were going to immediately withdraw an acceptance? Doesn’t seem fair to those waiting behind you.

• Dislike
I don’t want to give you a hard time, but why did you keep yourself on the alternate list if you were going to immediately withdraw an acceptance? Doesn’t seem fair to those waiting behind you.
Financial aid, which I’m still waiting on. But assuming I don’t get a better financial aid offer than my current school, yeah I’ll be withdrawing. I stayed on because the school is close to home and was still a potential option

Reactions: 5 users
Financial aid, which I’m still waiting on. But assuming I don’t get a better financial aid offer than my current school, yeah I’ll be withdrawing. I stayed on because the school is close to home and was still a potential option

Gotcha. Makes sense! Congrats on the acceptance

low-key losing all hope. prolly gonna submit my 2021 app today or tomorrow.

low-key losing all hope. prolly gonna submit my 2021 app today or tomorrow.
I get that. I've emotionally prepared for the strong possibility it isn't happening. Going to re-apply for 2021-2022 if that's the case.

Congrats! Hopefully everyone else on this forum hears good news soon.

Albany just confirmed my waitlist spot after i emailed them .... 2 weeks ago :) yay..

Reactions: 4 users
Also idk why SDN also does not notify me when y’all post... I still get notifications from other schools when I haven’t commented in their forum in a month.. smh do better, SDN :(

@krustykrabkrew and @Al-Razi
Were you provided a timeline for financial aid? Or do you have to select “plan to enroll” before knowing your financial aid offer.

Would that flag any other school you hold an acceptance at?

Last edited:
@krustykrabkrew and @Al-Razi
Were you provided a timeline for financial aid? Or do you have to select “plan to enroll” before knowing your financial aid offer.

Would that flag any other school you hold an acceptance at?
They said we have to wait 24 hours before being able to log into the financial aid website as the accounts were just made, and then we have to fill out a form plus our FAFSA. Personally I already submitted FAFSA back in February, but if I can't get access by tomorrow I'll email them and reach out for a timeline. It shouldn't flag other schools because we are allowed to stay on waitlists, which implies that we could be potentially accepted. I don't think it would cause any conflict until you choose to PTE/CTE at Albany over the other school, but as long as you're communicating freely with both schools it should not be a problem.

They said we have to wait 24 hours before being able to log into the financial aid website as the accounts were just made, and then we have to fill out a form plus our FAFSA. Personally I already submitted FAFSA back in February, but if I can't get access by tomorrow I'll email them and reach out for a timeline. It shouldn't flag other schools because we are allowed to stay on waitlists, which implies that we could be potentially accepted. I don't think it would cause any conflict until you choose to PTE/CTE at Albany over the other school, but as long as you're communicating freely with both schools it should not be a problem.
Thanks for the clarification! I was referring to the 24 hour time deadline to select PTE (not financial aid). Seems like far too short of a turnaround time to switch your PTE designation at a school w/o first being able to view your financial aid offer but maybe I guess at this stage it might just be the norm. Congratulations!

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the clarification! I was referring to the 24 hour time deadline to select PTE (not financial aid). Seems like far too short of a turnaround time to switch your PTE designation at a school w/o first being able to view your financial aid offer but maybe I guess at this stage it might just be the norm. Congratulations!

You're right, they really are expecting us to shoot in the dark without hearing of the financial aid offer, but at least it ensures a faster turnover of those who might be on the fence about attending perhaps? Here are some other dates they mentioned:

-Request for Deferral deadline: June 1st (yesterday lol)
-Official Transcripts to be sent: July 1st
-CTE: July 8th

For those interested, the documents that need to be submitted within 3 days include a Statement of Acceptance, Acceptance Protocols doc, Technical Standards Questionnaire, and Phonetic pronunciation/White coat order form.

Did anyone else not get alerted that they released an academic calendar for 2020-2021? Is it maybe just not finalized?

Did anyone else not get alerted that they released an academic calendar for 2020-2021? Is it maybe just not finalized?

That might be the calendar for another program at AMC, in their MD program FAQ’s they have the 2019 start date listed as orientation aug 5-9 and classes start tentatively aug 12

That might be the calendar for another program at AMC, in their MD program FAQ’s they have the 2019 start date listed as orientation aug 5-9 and classes start tentatively aug 12
Ohhh my god, it is. I have this conversation with my mother at least once a week that they haven’t released it and to stop googling it. Thank you

half way through the week and still no word :eyebrow:

I was thinking to expect at least three days between batches of acceptances. This way they can have ample time to reply before the offer runs out. So hopefully Friday or next Monday?

I was thinking to expect at least three days between batches of acceptances. This way they can have ample time to reply before the offer runs out. So hopefully Friday or next Monday?

May also be longer than 3 days since applicants can PTE instead of CTE?

i just got a call from a NY #... my heart started pounding... it was my SBA provider for the PPP loan for my business. smh.