Am I competitive for So. California schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wictorwictor

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a recent graduate from CSULB with B.S in Exercise science. I know that my track record does not look good at all, but I plan to retake the GRE by the end of the month. Shooting for 155q/155v/AW4. I want to stay in the Southern California area, what do you think about my chances are for any of the schools in this area? And any recommendations for schools I would realistically get in to? Regardless, I'm applying this cycle. Any input is welcome. Thank you.

GPA: 3.21
GRE: 152 Q, 150 V, AW 3.5
Hours: 100+ hours inpatient Veterans Affair, 50+ Hours outpatient.
Extra curricular: intramural basketball, executive committee of service fraternity 1 year, 300+ hours volunteer work (luncheons, poor, elderly, children, expos, injured), 2 cultural clubs, veterans hospital work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You could go on www.ptcas.org and see the information of the average gap and gre that got into certain schools. Based on your information you're not competitive at all. Your gap is too low, analytical writing score is below average(good thing you're retaking), and your hours are the bare minimum. Maybe you have a chance at a private school but you will be lucky if you get in. I would recommend to getting as many hours as you can since you're applying this year.

We have somewhat similar stats. My GPA was somewhere near a 3.3, and GRE scores were 163Q, 161V, 4.0W (I think). I applied to CSULB and CSUN and was rejected from both schools without an interview. I knew that my GPA was FAR from being competitive, but I thought maybe I would stand a chance with a high GRE score.

I agree with the other comment. You don't have a good chance at public schools, and might have a shot at private, but it'll still be difficult. I would try to raise your grades and apply to programs that will allow retakes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We have somewhat similar stats. My GPA was somewhere near a 3.3, and GRE scores were 163Q, 161V, 4.0W (I think). I applied to CSULB and CSUN and was rejected from both schools without an interview. I knew that my GPA was FAR from being competitive, but I thought maybe I would stand a chance with a high GRE score.

I agree with the other comment. You don't have a good chance at public schools, and might have a shot at private, but it'll still be difficult. I would try to raise your grades and apply to programs that will allow retakes.

Your GPA isn't stellar but your GRE's are great. What extracurriculars did you have when you applied?

Your GPA isn't stellar but your GRE's are great. What extracurriculars did you have when you applied?

You can go through my post history if you want accurate details, since I'll have to go off memory here. To be honest though, I don't think extracurriculars play a large part in acceptances. I would say that GPA and then GRE are the most important, followed by Essays and Interviews. I had about 250 hours volunteering as a camp counselor, 250 volunteering at a wildlife rehabilitation place, and 200ish shadowing hours at 5 different locations. I probably had more volunteering, but those were the main 2 things I did.

You can go through my post history if you want accurate details, since I'll have to go off memory here. To be honest though, I don't think extracurriculars play a large part in acceptances. I would say that GPA and then GRE are the most important, followed by Essays and Interviews. I had about 250 hours volunteering as a camp counselor, 250 volunteering at a wildlife rehabilitation place, and 200ish shadowing hours at 5 different locations. I probably had more volunteering, but those were the main 2 things I did.

What was your prereq GPA? Trying to gauge where I stand with my stats.

What was your prereq GPA? Trying to gauge where I stand with my stats.

Same as what I said earlier, around a 3.3 for California schools, but up to a 3.7 for some out of state schools. It really depended on each school because each program uses different classes for their pre-reqs, and some schools would average the grades for the classes I retook instead of taking the higher of the 2 grades.
I would just look on the PTCAS website for averages, and look at this thread to see how well other people did: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/gpas-gres-xtras-acceptances.427018/