Arkansas Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How well does UAMS curriculum flow together? For example: Do you learn cardio embryo before you learn about the first 20 days and development of the different germ layers? With our Cardio unit they through us in and the first embryo class was Cardio, which was really confusing.
I'd say it flows about as well as it can. We learned general embryo during the upper limb portion, so we had that out of the way once cardio and pulmonary started.

Sounds like some really intense test days, but it sounds great!
Very intense. You'll hate weekends before tests, but it's also nice to not have tests in each subject staggered all over the place. Having tests on the last day of the week is brutal (they're either on the first or last days), but you get that whole weekend to dick around.

How much time do you spend in class as an M1 at UAMS? Is there a note taking service? Do they record lectures?
If you don't have gross lab, it's about 9-2 with several days that end at the noon lunch break. With gross lab, it's 9-4. Gross labs kind of come in spurts, it seems like, so you'll have some weeks with 4 labs, and some with 1 or none. There is a student-run note taking service, and it's pretty good. I don't usually use the notes, but they've been helpful when I did. Lectures aren't recorded, but the powerpoint slides are posted online.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused, have you been an M1 before?

Sorry! No, if only right! I'm in a Special masters program right now at Georgetown where you basically take the M1 classes alongside the med students and what not... So I experienced the classes here...

Sorry again, didn't mean to imply that I've been in medical school before, I'm in the same boat as we all are!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is some stuff that seems "hard"... But so far it seems to me that is just when you are applying physics to human physiology... Laplace's law, poiseuille's law, etc.. Or trying to keep track of the regulatory mechanisms for for cardiac output under different conditions. So far in my SMP, I've found the material related to regulation of blood flow to fairly difficult...

I wasn't a physics major but I'd agree that physics is harder, but volume is definitely more in medicine...

Ugh, bloodflow, I'm actually writing a capstone paper over rheology right now, using it to investigate inflammation and atherosclerosis. Let me tell ya, if I never have to stare at Navier-Stokes' equation again, I'll probably be happy.

Thanks for the replies Milkman! Really helpful!

hey milkman,

just for curiosity's sake, how diverse is the student body/little rock? one of the reasons i wanted to attend my in-state school (besides in-state tuition) is because i feel it's a little more diverse than uams/little rock. i haven't lived in arkansas in 5 years so it might be completely different than i remember. at least little rock has a fresh market now! thanks!

I'm assuming you mean ethnic diversity? If so, Little Rock isn't very diverse at all, and our class follows suit. I'd day maybe a fifth of my class is non-white. I'm not really sure why that would play a role in which medical school you choose, but to each his own.

I'm an OOSer who's a little late to the party. Received the email on Friday (yea!), but I won't be able to buy a plane ticket until this Friday because of $$ issues (boo!). I was selected for an interview last year, and it went really well, except for the whole not getting in part. Hopefully, they'll give some love to me on the second time around.

I did have a question for those who know the area well. Any suggestions on cheaper hotels that are near the school? I stayed in a rathole last time that was expensive and far away. I'm hoping not to duplicate that experience this year.

I'm an OOSer who's a little late to the party. Received the email on Friday (yea!), but I won't be able to buy a plane ticket until this Friday because of $$ issues (boo!). I was selected for an interview last year, and it went really well, except for the whole not getting in part. Hopefully, they'll give some love to me on the second time around.

I did have a question for those who know the area well. Any suggestions on cheaper hotels that are near the school? I stayed in a rathole last time that was expensive and far away. I'm hoping not to duplicate that experience this year.

They said that they would send us some information on hotels in the area that have a shuttle and will give us a discounted rate.

If you can't get a hotel close with shuttle service, I might be able to pick you up, depending on what your interview time is (and whether or not you trust the competition ;))

i get bored talking to people from the same background as myself and i love learning about other cultures. at least in my experiences, most arkansans are very insular and many are fairly closed-minded. granted, you can find that anywhere but i don’t see it to the extent that i did when i lived in arkansas (i was born and raised, my entire family is there and many friends). that’s not me at all so for it is a consideration…

that and i really just hate the highway system…

Interestingly, my undergrad in Arkansas has a huge Nepalese population within our significant international student body so our campus is more diverse than some other schools in Arkansas. I guess a couple of them came over and wrote back home telling everyone else to come :D.

Members don't see this ad :)
At first glance I thought this:

There's a La Quinta maybe half a mile away. It's on the intersection of Fair Park and I-630, if you're interested in finding it.

was in response to this:

hey milkman,

just for curiosity's sake, how diverse is the student body/little rock? one of the reasons i wanted to attend my in-state school (besides in-state tuition) is because i feel it's a little more diverse than uams/little rock. i haven't lived in arkansas in 5 years so it might be completely different than i remember. at least little rock has a fresh market now! thanks!

Gave me a case of the giggles for a sec before I realized I read it wrong.

Does anyone know when (or even if) they will start to fill in the list of OOS interviewees to make up for those that didn't respond to the Dec. 12th email?

There's a La Quinta maybe half a mile away. It's on the intersection of Fair Park and I-630, if you're interested in finding it.

Cool, thanks Milkman! I also just checked out the Interview Lodging Thread and saw that you were the point of contact for Arkansas. I'll probably be flying into Fort Smith (my hometown) earlier in the week and driving a rental up to LR, but could use a place to crash the night before the interview. If you could help me find something, I would be grateful. Thanks!

I'm in! I got one of those early letters today. :)

Congrats! It must be nice :p

How close do you live to Little Rock? I live in Fayetteville and was wondering if it might take my letter (if I was fortunate enough to get one, of course) an extra day to get here (hurray for irrational hope :xf:).

I'm in Magnolia, about an hour east of Texarkana, less than two and a half hours from Little Rock. My letter was actually dated the 18th so either they didn't send them out Wednesday or they're just trying to confuse me, lol.

Ugh I won't know if I got a letter until I go back to school; maybe I'll be brave and call on Monday...

Though I'm supposed to meet with someone on the staff soon, perhaps that's a good sign...

Congrats everyone!

My post got deleted cause of the maintenance problems before. i got my early acceptance today also, i was really surprised, considering im in the toughest district (pulaski county)

Oh yeah, Pulaski is rough...hopefully Jefferson county is on my side

Woo hoo, my letter came today. Apparently rural mail is a day behind the rest of the world.

Congratulations guys!

Cool, 3 SDNers in so far. How many early acceptances were sent out? 20?

Hey. Acceptance in NWA yesterday. I am on the waitlist at a few other places but will most likely be in Little Rock next year. You can't beat the price. And I am pretty excited about having the option to do more rotations in NWA. I could end up rotating through the same hospital I was born at.

Oh. by the way. Congrats to everyone else who got in! What are the chances you all will be going to UAMS?

Were you born at Children's Hospital? I wasn't born there, but I had surgery there as a toddler so that would be cool to rotate throughout that hospital.

I'll say 30% of me going to UAMS. I have 4 acceptances, and I am caught between 3 of them.

I have this one acceptance and many pending interviews at good schools (I was a late applicant), so we'll see...

Were you born at Children's Hospital? I wasn't born there, but I had surgery there as a toddler so that would be cool to rotate throughout that hospital.

I'll say 30% of me going to UAMS. I have 4 acceptances, and I am caught between 3 of them.

Oh I was talking about if I ended up doing the NWA campus thing or doing rotations up there. I was born in Springdale. And pretty much all the hospitals up here are going to be working with uams when it gets up here.

So have any OOSers gotten the interview packet in the mail yet?

To those who got accepted: how long do you have to hold your place? Thanks!

i just got the rejected post secondary "we dont want to interview you because you're OOS" letter. :laugh: too bad-arkansas seemed like a nice place to live.

All right, guys, I've talked to a few friends with houses, and none of them seem particularly hot on hosting people. There are still 2 people I haven't gotten a hold of, though I'll be seeing one of them tonight. In other words, I'd book a motel if you haven't already. Sorry. :(

No information about OOSers (I don't think), but a few of us In-State folks have been accepted and are presently chatting it up here; just in case anyone is interested.

WOO PIG SOOIE

I'm in Magnolia, about an hour east of Texarkana, less than two and a half hours from Little Rock. My letter was actually dated the 18th so either they didn't send them out Wednesday or they're just trying to confuse me, lol.

Woah man, I live in Magnolia too. Small world. Looks like we may be moving up from the Cameo 3-Screen Theater and Chen Chen buffet to the world of HD Projectors and PF Chang's!

Seriously!? Hehe, that's funny. But, are you applying this year because I don't know of you...

Yeah I got my acceptance letter last week. I don't go to SAU, I graduated from the U of A (Fayetteville). I just knew I wanted a year between college and med school, so my wife and I are just living here this year. I figured there's not much difference between 22 and 23 years old, so I might as well relax a bit and make some money to buy a few things before starting school again. A plasma TV is not absent from that list.

My wife may be there (SAU) next semester though, she has decided she wants to go into nursing so she's going to do the pre-reqs that her undergraduate degree didn't cover.

I think you were in my interview group actually. Did you go to the first interview date and happen to be in a group that got stuck waiting for the elevator after looking at the gross lab? I think I remember a guy and a girl too (maybe) that said they were from Magnolia, because my wife and I looked at each other with a "no-way!" kind of expression. We're not really broadcasting the fact that I applied or got accepted (only two of our friends know), because I sort of need to keep my job and I don't want it to be awwwwwkward there.

All right, guys, I've talked to a few friends with houses, and none of them seem particularly hot on hosting people. There are still 2 people I haven't gotten a hold of, though I'll be seeing one of them tonight. In other words, I'd book a motel if you haven't already. Sorry. :(

Dagnabit!!!! :mad:

Yeah I got my acceptance letter last week. I don't go to SAU, I graduated from the U of A (Fayetteville). I just knew I wanted a year between college and med school, so my wife and I are just living here this year. I figured there's not much difference between 22 and 23 years old, so I might as well relax a bit and make some money to buy a few things before starting school again. A plasma TV is not absent from that list.

My wife may be there (SAU) next semester though, she has decided she wants to go into nursing so she's going to do the pre-reqs that her undergraduate degree didn't cover.

I think you were in my interview group actually. Did you go to the first interview date and happen to be in a group that got stuck waiting for the elevator after looking at the gross lab? I think I remember a guy and a girl too (maybe) that said they were from Magnolia, because my wife and I looked at each other with a "no-way!" kind of expression. We're not really broadcasting the fact that I applied or got accepted (only two of our friends know), because I sort of need to keep my job and I don't want it to be awwwwwkward there.

Haha, yeah, my wife and I were the ones waiting for that stupid elevator. I don't remember much about the others in my group though.

Last chance to get in touch if you want to meet up beforehand or afterward! Otherwise I'll just be hanging out around the interview stuff and embarrassing you and stressing you out even more.

Did I talk to any of you today? I was wearing a melon shirt and khakis and was in a tour group with Tommy (tall blond guy) and Allison (red-head). I didn't realize how woefully incomplete the tours are. If there's anything else you need to know, ask away.

Status
Not open for further replies.