Arkansas Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't do background checks for waitlist until May... You're good to go!!
I appreciate the optimism. Today's my 22nd birthday so hopefully I will have much to celebrate. Worse case scenario, I don't get in and I take a year off to strengthen my resume. Also, I thought of applying to UAMS College of Public Health. DrJD where do you go to school?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't sound like that's the case at all. I wouldn't worry about it. Don't sweat it if you haven't gotten that magical background check email. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
So if this is the only school I applied to and I haven't yet recieved a background check request its pretty much a given that I wasn't accepted this year huh?

Doesn't seem like we have enough information to draw this conclusion yet... Our sample size is only one... Perhaps they are slowly inputting names, or perhaps AAMC is behind... There is a long list of possibilities, so don't fret quite yet!

Doesn't seem like we have enough information to draw this conclusion yet... Our sample size is only one... Perhaps they are slowly inputting names, or perhaps AAMC is behind... There is a long list of possibilities, so don't fret quite yet!

My sample size is 2. And the guy who received one from my school is the guy everyone knew would get in, which is what made me nervous.

I wouldn't stress too much just yet. From what I've read over the last few years, this email is a fluke. I've not seen where anyone else has received one prior to an acceptance. Just set back and enjoy the building tension of waiting for the mailman (or woman).

I wouldn't stress too much just yet. From what I've read over the last few years, this email is a fluke. I've not seen where anyone else has received one prior to an acceptance. Just set back and enjoy the building tension of waiting for the mailman (or woman).

The stress is mounting, eeek!!!

From what I hear, the letters went out yesterday. So depending on where you live it could be today or tomorrow. Usually its faster.

From what I hear, the letters went out yesterday. So depending on where you live it could be today or tomorrow. Usually its faster.

Seriously? Well I hope you're right! Good luck everyone!

I recieved the same email yesterday. I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I recieved a background check email last year too and was waitlisted. I hope its a much butter result for both of us this year, though.

I recieved the same email yesterday. I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I recieved a background check email last year too and was waitlisted. I hope its a much butter result for both of us this year, though.

NOW we can start stressing over lack of email!!!! Thanks for the info frirg. :) I had hoped they just jumped the gun on ArkansasHogMD's acceptance and didn't usually do the background check before the acceptance letter was received. Did you get an early (Feb)background check with the waitlist or one in April?

I recieved it in May last year. I got all excited b/c I thought I was about to get in off the waitlist, but they must do it for everyone on the list, because I obviously wasn't accepted.

Just checked the mail.... NOTHING :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people who got letters today in the Little Rock area. I'd imagine the rest of the state will have to wait until tomorrow.

GL guys.

I know people who got letters today in the Little Rock area. I'd imagine the rest of the state will have to wait until tomorrow.

GL guys.

Good to know they went out yesterday! Good luck everyone!

Keeping my fingers crossed that everyone here has a reason to celebrate this weekend!!!

I got mine the day after in Kansas City. Most of you should know by tomorrow, I'd imagine. Good luck!

I'm in Indiana so hopefully mine will get here tomorrow. I'll explode if I have to wait until Monday!

Well I live in Fayetteville and got the letter in the mail today.......rejected.
Oh well I was preparing for this possibility. At least I am still going to med school and will be a doctor regardless. Good luck everyone

If we didn't get the background check email, does that mean we still might be waitlisted???

Well I live in Fayetteville and got the letter in the mail today.......rejected.
Oh well I was preparing for this possibility. At least I am still going to med school and will be a doctor regardless. Good luck everyone

Sorry to hear that, but on the up side your going to still go to medical school and perhaps one of us will get that spot!

Sorry to hear you were rejected! I am glad you have another acceptance though.

So for those of you who have gotten the letter/know someone who has... Do we have a big envelope/small envelope situation going on? Or are they all the same size?

Hey I'm a second-year at UAMS, but when I applied Accepted/Waitlist:Large brown env., Rejected: Small white env.

I got the background check e-mail yesterday, too. I guess we will see tomorrow about whether or not that means anything.:xf:

Well, I am on the alternate list. More waiting for me. Quite a bummer. Anyone know anything about the Rural Practice Scholarship program?

Yeah, they move you to the front of the waitlist (which means you'll get in) and waive your tuition in exchange for a written promise that you'll practice one of several primary care fields in a rural area. Family practice, internal medicine, psych, OB/GYN, pediatrics, geriatrics, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting will be your only specialty choices. I believe general surgery and emergency medicine qualify under certain circumstances, also. They will pressure the hell out of you to pursue family practice, but that really doesn't matter. They can't force you into anything other than the specialties you contractually limited yourself to. I don't recall how long the practice obligation is, but I think it's either 3 or 5 years.

The punishment for breaching the contract is being assessed double the tuition you otherwise would've owed plus all compounded interest that would have accrued and a permanent block of your Arkansas medical licensure. The "fine" isn't so bad - hell, it's my normal tuition - but the administrative black mark is probably crippling to your ability to practice elsewhere.

got the background check a few days ago also, will probably recieve decision today since I'm OOS (memphis)

Yeah, they move you to the front of the waitlist (which means you'll get in) and waive your tuition in exchange for a written promise that you'll practice one of several primary care fields in a rural area. Family practice, internal medicine, psych, OB/GYN, pediatrics, geriatrics, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting will be your only specialty choices. I believe general surgery and emergency medicine qualify under certain circumstances, also. They will pressure the hell out of you to pursue family practice, but that really doesn't matter. They can't force you into anything other than the specialties you contractually limited yourself to. I don't recall how long the practice obligation is, but I think it's either 3 or 5 years.

The punishment for breaching the contract is being assessed double the tuition you otherwise would've owed plus all compounded interest that would have accrued and a permanent block of your Arkansas medical licensure. The "fine" isn't so bad - hell, it's my normal tuition - but the administrative black mark is probably crippling to your ability to practice elsewhere.

http://www.uams.edu/com/ruralprograms/ruralpractice.asp
There's a link that tells about it.

They don't wave your tuition. They give you a loan that the state will pay back as you are fulfilling your obligation. You are free to match into FM, IM, Peds, IM/Peds, Ob/Gyn, Surg, and EM just like anyone else. You then have to practice in a medically underserved community in Arkansas for (I couldn't find the exact # but it looks like 4 years).

From what I'm told, almost any community in Arkansas except NW Ark and Little Rock are considered medically undeserved. I'd suggest calling their offices if you are considering this and maybe ask to speak to a student who's in the program. I know a few and they're happy with it.

Got the small white envelope myself. I knew it was a longshot this year. Good luck to everyone else who has not heard yet. :xf:

Well it didn't make it up to Virginia today :( Why no mail on Sundays!? Gah!!

lol

Congrats to those who have gotten in, and I'm sorry to those who haven't. Guess I myself will be waiting until Monday...

Thanks for the feedback about the Rural Scholarship Program. I actually know someone (M4) who is in this program and I have sent her an e-mail so I can get her feedback. Any other tips for turning an alternate list position into an acceptance? I will touch base with the Admissions Office but I want to know from a student's perspective? Thanks.:oops:

Thanks for the feedback about the Rural Scholarship Program. I actually know someone (M4) who is in this program and I have sent her an e-mail so I can get her feedback. Any other tips for turning an alternate list position into an acceptance? I will touch base with the Admissions Office but I want to know from a student's perspective? Thanks.:oops:

Prayer. I'd rule out bribes. There are a lot that get in off the alt list. And talk to Linda in the admission's office. She's awesome.

So I'm on the wait list, which I'm thrilled with, but I do have a question:

I think what set me back was lack of some upper level courses. I took a couple last fall and got A's, but of course they were not on my application. Would it do any good to send a letter to the admissions office detailing that new information?

It certainly wouldn't hurt. I was in the same situation and mailed them an updated transcript. I mean, they'll tell you that the waitlist rankings are set and all of that. They also said they don't consider OOS applicants with less than a 3.6 GPA (see my MDApps), so make of that what you will. Communication and showing an interest in the school will be neutral forces at worst and very beneficial at best. Might as well give it a shot.

I received my acceptance letter yesterday in Fayetteville. UAMS was the only school I allplied to so I'm thrilled. Already sent in my form accepting the offer.

I received my acceptance letter yesterday in Fayetteville. UAMS was the only school I allplied to so I'm thrilled. Already sent in my form accepting the offer.

Congratulations!!! Well played, sir, well played.

I got a big brown envelope myself...but I'm an alternate. I'm glad I wasn't rejected, but the waiting is really going to be hard. And for those of you who did get rejections, I really and truly sympathize. That was the case with me last year, so it really does pay to reapply.

So for those of you in the know, Arkansas doesn't let you know where you are on the alternate list? I was on the waiting list at OHSU last year and I was given my specific rank. I guess each school does it differently. It would be nice to know where I stand in the rankings, so I'd know if I should start having my family look for a place or not. It wasn't in my letter, and I didn't know if there was a separate track for OOS (which I am).

They don't give you your rank, but there are ways around that. I emailed Ms. DuPuy asking the questions that you've all been asking, and she arranged a phone conference with Mr. South so we could discuss my application. He used some fairly telling language to indicate I was in decent shape. It's all guesswork, but it's worth a shot to see if you can get a read on your chances.

accepted yesterday

accepted yesterday

Congrats!! It seems like a lot of people on here got waitlisted, so its good to hear someone got accepted! Anyone else having to wait to get the mail on Monday!?

My sister is waiting on her letter to get to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. She got one of the emails on thursday morning. My whole family is on pins and needles waiting...

Those that get the opportunity to go to UAMS should take it. It's really great. And for the people that got waitlisted, hang in there. I was waitlisted and unlike a lot of other schools there is a lot of movement on the waitlist.

Good luck to everybody!

Those that get the opportunity to go to UAMS should take it. It's really great. And for the people that got waitlisted, hang in there. I was waitlisted and unlike a lot of other schools there is a lot of movement on the waitlist.

There's even a guy in our class that got in off the wait list the Saturday before orientation. FYI, you get a phone call at that point, not a letter.

Yep, one guy in our class got in during registration - not sure who though. There was another one who got in 2 days before registration. The waitlist moves a whole lot, so there's definitely hope.

Also, I second CAP's assessment. UAMS is a badass school. Considering it's med school, I have tons of fun.

A couple of questions: Did anyone who got the CBC e-mail already have this done for another school? I did not get a CBC e-mail and am wanting to see if anybody else got a second CBC this week for Arkansas? (Yes I know I should find out with tomorrow's mail anyway, but it doesn't hurt to ask!)

Second question: For the waitlist, when do they start pulling people off of it? Do they wait until May 15th to start having any movement or is there movement over the next few months as people withdraw?

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear! Lets hope it comes in the mail tomorrow!

They don't start accepting people off the waitlist until after they've accepted all of the people from the Rural Practice program, so you won't hear until early May at the very earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.