Arkansas Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did everyone else get the background check email from Certiphi today? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Did everyone else get the background check email from Certiphi today? :confused:

Yup, I got it too. I talked with Ms. DuPuy yesterday and she confirmed that everyone on the alternate list will receive one. Drats.

I wasn't prepared to fill in all the blanks for my previous addresses though. My gypsy lifestyle has led me to collect a lot of those. Luckily, they didn't ask for more than seven.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I got it too. I talked with Ms. DuPuy yesterday and she confirmed that everyone on the alternate list will receive one. Drats.

I wasn't prepared to fill in all the blanks for my previous addresses though. My gypsy lifestyle has led me to collect a lot of those. Luckily, they didn't ask for more than seven.

Well I don't know if everyone did get the email or not but I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY!:D

Well I don't know if everyone did get the email or not but I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY!:D

Aww, congratulations! I can only imagine how good that must feel.

So that leaves how many of us still waiting then? Just me? Perhaps I'm a secret felon. So secret in fact, that not even I know it. Don't drink tequila kids!

Whew! I got accepted today, too! I am sooooo excited! :D I will be moving to Little Rock on the 19th of this month. Congrats Alshera and all others who have been accepted! For those who have not yet been called...it seems like they are plowing through the list at a fairly good speed. Hold tight and don't lose hope!

Whew! I got accepted today, too! I am sooooo excited! :D I will be moving to Little Rock on the 19th of this month. Congrats Alshera and all others who have been accepted! For those who have not yet been called...it seems like they are plowing through the list at a fairly good speed. Hold tight and don't lose hope!

Congrats, you'll have to change your name now.

Congrats everyone! I can't wait to meet yall in the fall! :D

Congrats everyone! I can't wait to meet yall in the fall! :D

I second the congratulations to everyone who was accepted this last week! My wife and I have spent the last 4 days in Little Rock, and after visiting almost 10 apartment complexes, some of them twice, we officially have a place for this year!!

Makes it feel more real! Can't wait to meet all of you in less than two months!

Also, I'm pretty sure its in the paperwork, but I just wanted to remind everybody to make sure you buy your new laptop/computer within 30 days of the start of class so that you can get financial aid to cover it!

So what kind of computer are you guys going to go for? I think I've pretty much decided on the new 15.4" Macbook Pro... they just dropped the prices so that the "Computer Loan" will pretty much cover it...

So my wife and I looked at about 11 apartment complexes and FINALLY found one. If any of you out of staters are curious about a particular apartment complex, odds are we looked at it. If you want just ask and I can give you our feedback about a particular complex before you travel to Little Rock to find housing...

I have an IBM and I love it, never had a single problem with it. Even the battery lasted 3 years, now it only lasts 10 minutes!

So my wife and I looked at about 11 apartment complexes and FINALLY found one. If any of you out of staters are curious about a particular apartment complex, odds are we looked at it. If you want just ask and I can give you our feedback about a particular complex before you travel to Little Rock to find housing...

Which ones were decent and b/w $500-$700? AND which one did you choose? haha I'm just curious to see if we're going to be neighbors.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the threads for the alternate lists I'm on have gone silent. I'm hoping to see a big push of movement in the next couple of weeks, but I'm resigned that I may have to start the process all over again. I'm getting too old for this...

Congrats to everyone who has made it so far. I guess if I get the call from UAMS now I may have to hit you guys up for suggestions on places to live quick. Send some good luck vibes my way quick, yo!:p

All the threads for the alternate lists I'm on have gone silent. I'm hoping to see a big push of movement in the next couple of weeks, but I'm resigned that I may have to start the process all over again. I'm getting too old for this...

Congrats to everyone who has made it so far. I guess if I get the call from UAMS now I may have to hit you guys up for suggestions on places to live quick. Send some good luck vibes my way quick, yo!:p

I'm sure there will be some last minute movement before classes start, they want a completely full class and will keep pulling people from the WL until they get it.

Anyways, just a word of caution I know last year while in my MS program, some people waited till August to submit their primary Apps and that put them behind (and at a big disadvantage) for their next application cycle. I also know many of them were put back on the WL bc they applied so much later then everyone else.

I know of at least 4 people who got in during July and early August. Things certainly aren't all sunshine and rainbows, but don't give up hope. Stay in touch with admissions. Hopefully you'll have a seat before long!

I know of at least 4 people who got in during July and early August. Things certainly aren't all sunshine and rainbows, but don't give up hope. Stay in touch with admissions. Hopefully you'll have a seat before long!

Just curious, can you submit your primary and still be eligible for the WL?

Just curious, can you submit your primary and still be eligible for the WL?

I don't know the answer for certain, but I would imagine that would be fine. Otherwise, if you wait until August you could hurt yourself at schools that do rolling admissions. I would call Linda DuPuy in the admissions office first. They are a great resource for information.

I'm sure there will be some last minute movement before classes start, they want a completely full class and will keep pulling people from the WL until they get it.

Anyways, just a word of caution I know last year while in my MS program, some people waited till August to submit their primary Apps and that put them behind (and at a big disadvantage) for their next application cycle. I also know many of them were put back on the WL bc they applied so much later then everyone else.

Thanks for the advice. I have underestimated the power of applying early before. I also had a quick question - does anyone know offhand if you can update your MCAT scores once you've sent in your application? My score is expiring this year and I won't be re-taking the test until August, which would put me way behind the game. Ay yi yi...

hey aquadoc~ you can definitely update your mcat scores anytime after you've submitted your amcas. From my understanding, really the most important thing is to get your application submitted so they can verify your grades, and the earlier you submit the faster they can get that done for you so schools can begin to review your app. You can send in your letters of evaluation, update mcat scores, etc after you submit your amcas. If you could even submit your amcas for just one school, you could go ahead and get your application verified and that way you don't have to spend all the money to apply to a bunch of schools in case you come off the waitlist. If you don't get in this year and want to add more schools later, your application will already be verified and they will be sent immediately (getting verified is what takes so long and the main reason you want to get your app in early--because the later you send it in the more apps they have to review and the longer it will take them). Anyway, hope this helps. Don't lose hope for this cycle though, there's still a chance you'll hear good news. Good luck! :luck::luck::luck:

ThinkPad all the way.

I second that motion.

How exactly does the computer fund work? Do you just wait until you get your first loan check, buy it with some of that money, then apply for the loan increase? Or do you have to come up with the money yourself before you your first semester loan disbursement?

I second that motion.

How exactly does the computer fund work? Do you just wait until you get your first loan check, buy it with some of that money, then apply for the loan increase? Or do you have to come up with the money yourself before you your first semester loan disbursement?

Either will be fine. You can request a budget increase for a laptop at anytime as long as it's not more than 30 days before the first day of class. In my case, my mom is going to buy mine in the middle of July that way it's here and I'm comfortable with the use of it before school starts. Then when I get reimbursed I'll pay her back. They give you a check at registration and you can use it on whatever you want.

Which ones were decent and b/w $500-$700? AND which one did you choose? haha I'm just curious to see if we're going to be neighbors.

So my wife and I ended up getting a two bedroom in Carrington Park, which were more expensive, but we just fell in love with them!

As far as one bedrooms in the 500 to 700 range, probably the one we liked the best were "The Grove at Pleasant Valley." We really wanted to try and stay in the West Little Rock area because we just felt safer and more at home there.

I second that motion.

I'm all about the Macbook Pro... Seriously, now that you can dual boot windows if you need it, I'd recommend all of you take the plunge and convert to Apple :)

Its funny mydodger, when I meet you at orientation I seriously expect you to look like Mark Hamill, lol

I went overboard on the laptop purchase and got a 14" tablet that was decked out for almost $1700. A year later I realized I'd have been just as happier with one of the cheaper 12.1" or 13.3" laptops that would have cost half as much.

You're likely going to be carrying this laptop with you everywhere for the next two years. I'd say absolutely go no bigger than 14".

I went overboard on the laptop purchase and got a 14" tablet that was decked out for almost $1700. A year later I realized I'd have been just as happier with one of the cheaper 12.1" or 13.3" laptops that would have cost half as much.

You're likely going to be carrying this laptop with you everywhere for the next two years. I'd say absolutely go no bigger than 14".

This 12" ones look like they're costing about $1700 now. But they're sweeeeeet! With the 8 cell battery I'd get 5.5 - 6 hours of "not plugged in" time. In your experience have you needed that much time away from a wall socket?

I'm all about the Macbook Pro... Seriously, now that you can dual boot windows if you need it, I'd recommend all of you take the plunge and convert to Apple :)

But you can't write on it, and being able to flip your laptop around and jot down notes on the slides should be useful. The thing is that if it's not useful I just wasted $1700.

Its funny mydodger, when I meet you at orientation I seriously expect you to look like Mark Hamill, lol

2qjar60.jpg

I never had the chickenpox. While looking at my immunization record, I found out that I've never been vaccinated for varicella-zoster. :uhno: I'm trying to find a place that gives the adult vaccine but there's not one in my area. Is it okay to send in a statement from my physician stating that I am healthy? Would that meets the requirement?

I never had the chickenpox. While looking at my immunization record, I found out that I've never been vaccinated for varicella-zoster. :uhno: I'm trying to find a place that gives the adult vaccine but there's not one in my area. Is it okay to send in a statement from my physician stating that I am healthy? Would that meets the requirement?

I'd call the admissions office about that one. When they say "physicians' note" for varicella they mean a note from your doctor saying "He's had chicken pox before. Signed Dr. Cox"

So how strict are they with the 30 day rule for computer purchases? Has anybody found out or have experience with it?

I was thinking of getting my computer today, but that would be like 32 days or so... Unless somebody knows I will just wait a few more days, it would just be convenient with my schedule to head over there today.

We are so close guys, can't wait to start!

So how strict are they with the 30 day rule for computer purchases? Has anybody found out or have experience with it?

I was thinking of getting my computer today, but that would be like 32 days or so... Unless somebody knows I will just wait a few more days, it would just be convenient with my schedule to head over there today.

We are so close guys, can't wait to start!

I'd wait! You don't want to risk it. I'm planning on making my purchase the 15th, just to be extra careful. I know you're dead set on getting one of those Macs so try not to be too jealous of my sweet Lenovo X200 Convertible Tablet.

And don't forget guys, almost EVERYONE has a student discount.

Google "Apple Student Discount" and it's the top sponsored link. Looks like you'll be getting a free ipod touch with that macbook purchase!

And for the tablet fiends, Here's Lenovo's student discount link. If you go to the regular site you'll notice that the prices on the link I just gave you are 5% less.

Or if you go through a secondary website and get a topseller model of a fujitsu or lenovo laptop / tablet you could possibly get it cheaper. Sites like ProVantage sell these topseller models.

You guys are so close to the awesomeness that is half-assed PBL and lectures by Dr. Gaddy. Oooooooohhhh man. :smuggrin:

Does the PBL suck really bad, or just sort of bad but easily bearable?

It's really, really bad. The only plus is it lets you figure out who the obnoxious loudmouths are in a hurry. There were people who'd send out multiple emails regarding the case during PBL sessions. Yes, during PBL. It's amazing how catastrophically some people fail this simple social test. Seriously, skip the Monday and Wednesday sessions, and attend the Friday ones where the clinician comes in and lectures on the case. You'll still get all the points on the tests. This obviously assumes they're gonna do it the same way this year, but I doubt you'll have any problems.

It's really amusing when someone figures out what the case is really quickly on the first day, and the proctor is like "Uh...why do you think it's that?" and spends the next 15 minutes trying to drum up uncertainty then quits and gives you the next session off. That happened to us twice. Again, don't waste your time. Go on Fridays and forget the rest of the sessions exist.

I should mention that the PBL questions are almost always easy, but when they're not, just about everyone is going to miss them. Don't feel like you're out of the loop if you just totally bomb some question. Nobody else knows what the hell is going on, either.

I'd wait! You don't want to risk it. I'm planning on making my purchase the 15th, just to be extra careful. I know you're dead set on getting one of those Macs so try not to be too jealous of my sweet Lenovo X200 Convertible Tablet.

Just because I insist on getting a superior product is no reason to mock :D
Seriously though, your tablet looks pretty sweet!

It's really, really bad. The only plus is it lets you figure out who the obnoxious loudmouths are in a hurry. There were people who'd send out multiple emails regarding the case during PBL sessions. Yes, during PBL. It's amazing how catastrophically some people fail this simple social test. Seriously, skip the Monday and Wednesday sessions, and attend the Friday ones where the clinician comes in and lectures on the case. You'll still get all the points on the tests. This obviously assumes they're gonna do it the same way this year, but I doubt you'll have any problems.

It's really amusing when someone figures out what the case is really quickly on the first day, and the proctor is like "Uh...why do you think it's that?" and spends the next 15 minutes trying to drum up uncertainty then quits and gives you the next session off. That happened to us twice. Again, don't waste your time. Go on Fridays and forget the rest of the sessions exist.

I should mention that the PBL questions are almost always easy, but when they're not, just about everyone is going to miss them. Don't feel like you're out of the loop if you just totally bomb some question. Nobody else knows what the hell is going on, either.

Thanks for the behind the scenes tips!! I love hearing nice, school specific advice like this. If you think of any more over the next few weeks you should post it!

Hey, sorry to divert the topic a bit, but I just got an email from Dr. Dupuy regarding the secondary they just sent out for this cycle. Aside from being refreshingly down-to-earth :thumbup:, some of her info has me thinking twice about submitting a secondary:

Part of it reads: "Additionally, we will consider a number of non-Arkansas residents for acceptance, providing their MCAT scores and GPAs are above our averages. We typically use a 28 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA as a guideline when considering non-Arkansas resident applications."

I'm sort of in an odd position, because although my MCAT's 5 points higher than their guideline, my gpa's .2 lower. After checking mdapps, however, I see a few non-Arkansans on the 'interviewed' list with GPA's below a 3.6.

What's the story on UA's attitude towards OOS'ers and giving out interviews? Do they take them to buoy the school's numbers, or is the guideline in place to filter down the number of apps they review?

Everything else is solid, but will my app get trashed immediately based purely on my GPA and OOS status?

The deal is that UAMS is bound by some laws from the state legislature in order to get the state money. One of the often talked of rules is they have to take a certain # of people from each of Arkansas's 4 congressional districts (I think it's 28). Another one of the rules that is relevant to your question is that the law says "UAMS can't accept an out of state student before a more competitive in state student" (or something close to that). That definition is a little vague since applicants are viewed subjectively but I believe they try to ensure that the OOS acceptances have high #'s just to cover their bases here.

Hey, sorry to divert the topic a bit, but I just got an email from Dr. Dupuy regarding the secondary they just sent out for this cycle. Aside from being refreshingly down-to-earth :thumbup:, some of her info has me thinking twice about submitting a secondary:

Part of it reads: "Additionally, we will consider a number of non-Arkansas residents for acceptance, providing their MCAT scores and GPAs are above our averages. We typically use a 28 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA as a guideline when considering non-Arkansas resident applications."

I'm sort of in an odd position, because although my MCAT's 5 points higher than their guideline, my gpa's .2 lower. After checking mdapps, however, I see a few non-Arkansans on the 'interviewed' list with GPA's below a 3.6.

What's the story on UA's attitude towards OOS'ers and giving out interviews? Do they take them to buoy the school's numbers, or is the guideline in place to filter down the number of apps they review?

Everything else is solid, but will my app get trashed immediately based purely on my GPA and OOS status?

Just because I insist on getting a superior product is no reason to mock :D
Seriously though, your tablet looks pretty sweet!

Haha, thanks. I've been a little back and forth on the tablet choice - I've got a friend in school who uses his all the time and finds it insanely useful, and then I see posts about tablets on both sides of the fence here. I think I'm going for it though.

And hey, if you get bored doing schoolwork with the new mac atleast it'll come with that free iPod for when you need to procrastinate. :p My iPod is with me on every road trip no matter how short, can't imagine not having it anymore.

So, a few more questions. They might be a little general, but this is the secondary I happen to be filling out...

1. I just sat down to fill out the coursework section and noticed that the app assumes our school used the semester system. If we need to put down three quarters worth of classes, how do we do so?

2. Can we substitute in upper division courses for lower level prereqs? (I'm thinking Medical bacteriology, Immunology, Genetics, etc.)

So, a few more questions. They might be a little general, but this is the secondary I happen to be filling out...

1. I just sat down to fill out the coursework section and noticed that the app assumes our school used the semester system. If we need to put down three quarters worth of classes, how do we do so?

2. Can we substitute in upper division courses for lower level prereqs? (I'm thinking Medical bacteriology, Immunology, Genetics, etc.)

I'd call Linda Dupuy and ask. It gives you an execuse to talk to her and you can innocently slip in a question about the wait list if you want.

In case anyone's interested, here's my schedule for this coming year:

Longest scheduled day is 9 - 5. Awesome. I mean I know there's plenty of studying outside of those hours (or during those hours if you're one of the folks who don't attend class) but looking at it from a 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM engineering job that I hate... it looks real real nice.

The most important thing you'll miss if you don't go to class is the social interaction. I suggest picking and choosing what you go to just so you stay connected to the class.

I'll second that. My friends that stopped going to class dropped off the face of the earth in a hurry. I did the same during the last month. It's not something I'd recommend. Go to class and suffer through with your classmates. You'll be glad you did.

What about the booklist? Do you recommend buying all of the books on the list that they give us or not? Or do you recommend others that aren't on the list?

What about the booklist? Do you recommend buying all of the books on the list that they give us or not? Or do you recommend others that aren't on the list?

I bought them early because it helped relieve the anxiety of knowing I was ready for classes. You don't need to have them all on day 1. At orientation there will be a used book sale from the upperclassmen if you want to get them and save money. You'll probably use the texts much less than you expect. Review books like the BRS and high yield are what some people preferred (myself included).

Personally, I would buy zero of the suggested texts. None of them. Not one. Use review books.

My book opinions are here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602842&highlight=text+book

You are a crazy useful resource. I've wanted someone that went to UAMS to tell me something like that for a long time. That's usually the advice on the boards here but I always have that nagging "maybe it's different here" feeling. I've already ordered Lippincott's since biochem starts day-1 and I was just going to wing it after that. Thanks for all the advice. I assume you're doing well in school so following that advice lets me know I've at least got a chance to do well and can only blame myself if I mess it up too bad :laugh:.

Speaking of which, how does UAMS grading work? Do we have fail/pass/high pass or pass/honors or something like that?

Last edited:
Grading is A/B/C/D/F, and ranking is based on GPA. That is, an 80 is the same as an 89, when all is said and done (unless you're talking about a class with an unusual grading scale, but you get my point). That fact can make life kind of nice at the end of subjects when you're unlikely to change your grade and can afford to screw around on the NBME's (i.e., the finals).

You are a crazy useful resource. I've wanted someone that went to UAMS to tell me something like that for a long time. That's usually the advice on the boards here but I always have that nagging "maybe it's different here" feeling. I've already ordered Lippincott's since biochem starts day-1 and I was just going to wing it after that. Thanks for all the advice. I assume you're doing well in school so following that advice lets me know I've at least got a chance to do well and can only blame myself if I mess it up too bad :laugh:.

Speaking of which, how does UAMS grading work? Do we have fail/pass/high pass or pass/honors or something like that?

I don't think UAMS is any different than what you hear here. I went to probably about 20% of the lectures in the first two years. I used mostly caned notes, review books, and lecture slides to study. There were a couple 'required' texts I read in the first year but I didn't have time for lengthy texts in the second year. What I used more than anything at first was probably wikipedia.

Posting this from my hotel room on the beach using my sweet new X200 tablet! Everyone getting antsy to start? I know I am. Less antsy to leave the beach for sure, but still ready to start school nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.