Arkansas Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don't know how many have been sent. I had assumed that if many were out, someone would have posted an acceptance on here. Anyway, be sure to let us know if you get some good news in the mail today! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Still no mail today, and the wait continues? Anybody else hear any news today?

Thanks, EngrDr! Every little bit of information helps make the waitlist a tiny bit easier. :) No news yet in my mailbox today...

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on guys, get accepted! What're you waiting on?

Good idea, I'll just get accepted :)

The thread is awfully quiet, if they did send out a bunch of acceptances it must have been to all non-sdners... Oh well, hopefully we'll hear in the next few weeks...

I agree we should just show up and say we've decided to be accepted whether they like it or not!

I agree we should just show up and say we've decided to be accepted whether they like it or not!

Since we're all willing to pay the tuition, they'd have some extra money! Seems like a win-win to me.

PS.

Good luck this week everyone, hopefully we'll hear some good news :)

Yay for background checks! Anyone heard anything new? Hopefully, there will start to be some movement soon! Good luck!

Yay for background checks! Anyone heard anything new? Hopefully, there will start to be some movement soon! Good luck!

did you get a background check email? If so I think that means you're accepted.

Thanks for the encouragement! I really hope that you are right, but I was under the impression that they did background checks on the whole wait list last year regardless of eventual acceptance status. Is this incorrect?

did you get a background check email? If so I think that means you're accepted.

Thanks for the encouragement! I really hope that you are right, but I was under the impression that they did background checks on the whole wait list last year regardless of eventual acceptance status. Is this incorrect?

I have no idea but I got a background check email and the next day I got my acceptance. Of course I wasn't on the waitlist though

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, people seemed to get the background check email shortly before being accepted when the Feb. batch of acceptances went out. I think you'll be getting some really good news shortly. :D

I am wondering the same thing. I got an Background check email as well.

Last edited:
I am wondering the same thing. I got an Background check email as well.

It would seem that they have sent the background check to all, or most of the people still on the waitlist. This should make it quicker for them to go through the accept process once they decide to pull from it.

The above is all conjecture, but hey, it can't be bad news right?

I read the same way. The way the email was worded it looks like everyone gets the background check, and they should expect to get the request from AMCAS. This just speeds up the process.

The GOOD news, as I see it, is that this means that the big post May 15th acceptance letters are yet to go out.

I read the same way. The way the email was worded it looks like everyone gets the background check, and they should expect to get the request from AMCAS. This just speeds up the process.

The GOOD news, as I see it, is that this means that the big post May 15th acceptance letters are yet to go out.

Yea, I figure it is literally everyone, or everyone on the waitlist who they expect or hope to get through. My understanding is that background checks are not cheap at all, so it seems like bad economics to request a bunch you won't need.

This is of course theory, but makes sense to me. But again, no matter what it can't be a bad thing.

I"M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day... UAMS is by far my first choice so I will be withdrawing from other schools and waitlists and will be attending this Fall.

Looking forward to meeting all of you guys in person!

I"M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day... UAMS is by far my first choice so I will be withdrawing from other schools and waitlists and will be attending this Fall.

congrats JD!! I guess the background check is a good sign! PM me if your around little rock this summer.

I"M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outstanding. Now celebrate. Try not to drink too much :soexcited::banana:

Congrats!!! Hopefully the rest of us will hear soon!

I"M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I"M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome and congratulations! How did you get the news? Snail mail or do they call?

Congrats!!! Hopefully the rest of us will hear soon!

I'm sure you will! Keep the faith, from the sounds of it June should be the big month for movement!

Awesome and congratulations! How did you get the news? Snail mail or do they call?

It sounds like a combination of both! Which means you can be excited when you get an unknown call, AND when the mail man comes, lol For me, the call came first which will be followed by the mail. Good luck everyone!

Awesome news! It's nice to know I'll have someone to single out when the hazing starts. :smuggrin:

Good luck to the rest of you. Good news is coming. :)

I"M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey congrats DrJD! :) Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

What is this hazing you're talking about MilkmanAl?:laugh:

OH! To those who got in already, have you started looking for a place to live yet? If so, can you share with me places that you have looked at and the prices? I want to live close to campus, preferably within a ten-minute commute to UAMS. Hope to hear some good suggestions. Thanks! ;)

Hey congrats DrJD! :) Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

OH! To those who got in already, have you started looking for a place to live yet? If so, can you share with me places that you have looked at and the prices? I want to live close to campus, preferably within a ten-minute commute to UAMS. Hope to hear some good suggestions. Thanks! ;)[/SIZE].

Thanks for the congrats! I couldn't be happier!

My wife and I will be heading down there next weekend to try and find housing, so any suggestions you guys have would be super helpful. Our concerns aren't so much proximity to the school, as we just want to live in a really nice apartment complex in a safe area. So if any of you know of any suggestions of complexes we should check out, let me know!

The good thing about coming from the DC area, is that no matter where I commute to school from it will be 20 times better than my current commute :)

Congrats DrJD!! You must be so elated!!

I have a question about the background check, has everyone else received an email from Certiphi? Because I haven't and dont know what I should do... I got the email from AMCAS but nothing else...

No, I'm the same way. I don't think anyone has gotten anything from Certiphi regarding UAMS. If anyone has, please let us know!

Congrats DrJD!! You must be so elated!!

I have a question about the background check, has everyone else received an email from Certiphi? Because I haven't and dont know what I should do... I got the email from AMCAS but nothing else...

No, I'm the same way. I don't think anyone has gotten anything from Certiphi regarding UAMS. If anyone has, please let us know!

Phew!

P.S. DrJD would you mind sharing your stats if you are OOS?

He's already said too much. The first rule of med school hazing is don't talk about med school hazing.

Okay, since I know many reading this post are all nerves, there is no hazing.

In fact the upperclassmen at UAMS (and I'd assume most places) go out of their way to help the underclasses. For example this year there were a few M3's that had a weekly "M3 help session" for M2's who wanted to come. The rising M2's will throw a week worth of parties for the incoming freshmen too, make sure you go to some of this stuff. There are many examples like this.

Hi Alshera--I'm in the same boat. I received the AMCAS background check email, but nothing from Certiphi. Make sure they're on your approved sender list from your email, just in case. (I added them to my address book--I hope that works.) Anyway, I sent Certiphi 2 emails yesterday with the same concern. :) They said I should receive a background check email from them within 14 days of getting an acceptance. So it sounds like we should hear from UAMS first before we hear from Certiphi.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi Alshera--I'm in the same boat. I received the AMCAS background check email, but nothing from Certiphi. Make sure they're on your approved sender list from your email, just in case. (I added them to my address book--I hope that works.) Anyway, I sent Certiphi 2 emails yesterday with the same concern. :) They said I should receive a background check email from them within 14 days of getting an acceptance. So it sounds like we should hear from UAMS first before we hear from Certiphi.

GOOD LUCK!!!

So I haven't received an e-mail from Certiphi yet either, but I don't know if I should expect one or not. I already did the background check in November for a different school, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether or not you get the e-mail the second time.

I'll let you guys know if and when I get the Certiphi e-mail! Keep up the hope everyone, June is still young!

The rising M2's will throw a week worth of parties for the incoming freshmen too, make sure you go to some of this stuff. There are many examples like this.

Really? Count me in! :laugh:

Talking to someone at the school about the background check right now, they said the following:
1.)UAMS is doing a background check on ALL the waitlisters due to it being so close to school starting
2.)The delay in recieving the confirmation to do the check is because they are behind

Hope that helps

I"M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations JD. It's an exciting time, isn't it? See you in the fall!!:clap:

I was accepted today! Yay! I will withdraw from all other schools and waitlists ASAP! Good luck everyone! Hopefully, this week is the week for y'all!

I was accepted today! Yay! I will withdraw from all other schools and waitlists ASAP! Good luck everyone! Hopefully, this week is the week for y'all!

Thats great news!! I'll see you in August.(July if you do the pre-MAT program).:thumbup:

MilkmanAl,

Did you do the prematriculation program? I can't make it, but I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Congratulations, EngrDr--you did it!!! I am very, very happy for you!!! UAMS is an awesome school and Little Rock is fantastic!

Congratulations Engr!! I knew you would get in!!!

It has been one week since I got admitted and I am still ecstatic to be starting at UAMS. It is funny though, when I tell my peers where I am going many times they look at me with a look of sympathy. I explain to them that UAMS was actually my absolute first choice and that I liked it better than any of the other schools I was accepted to, but I still don't think they believe me :) Their loss! Honestly, UAMS was great and I would have picked it over any other school on my list!

Also, my wife put in her notice at her work the other day and it was met with a similar response. Except when she told her coworkers where she was moving, Little Rock, they literally said, "Wow, I don't envy you..." Woah! Talk about blunt... These high pressured, Washington DC, power lunch types, can't fathom moving to Little Rock. My wife and I, conversely, are counting down the days.

So any other married or serious relationship students out there starting in the Fall? I think it would be fun to plan a few get togethers so our spouses can get to know one another. I know my wife is excited to get to know other med student wives so that they can commiserate.

Also, we are heading down to Little Rock on Thursday and I wanted to put out one more request for apartment complex suggestions. We will be looking at as many as we can, so if you have lived in, or know someone who has lived in, a good apartment complex let me know the name so I can add it to the list!!

Congrats again Engr!

MilkmanAl,

Did you do the prematriculation program? I can't make it, but I'm wondering what I'm missing.
I didn't do it, and to be quite honest, I don't think you're missing much. You'd make some friends, but most people I know who did it are either neutral or ambivalent about pre-matric. You'll get to know people plenty fast anyway, and the course preps aren't particularly useful, from what I'm told. be sure you attend as many of the orientation events as possible, though. You'll make tons of friends and have a blast. Meeting so many people so quickly is overwhelming, but you'll be glad you did it. Also, go to all the ASG events throughout the year. They're awesome.

Congratulations to all of you. I'll be around if you have any more questions.

By the way, I plan on hosting at least one or two of the orientation parties, assuming my roommates and I can ever get a house secured. I expect to see you all there. :)

Thanks for the advice!!

Just curious though, what is the ASG?

I didn't do it, and to be quite honest, I don't think you're missing much. You'd make some friends, but most people I know who did it are either neutral or ambivalent about pre-matric. You'll get to know people plenty fast anyway, and the course preps aren't particularly useful, from what I'm told. be sure you attend as many of the orientation events as possible, though. You'll make tons of friends and have a blast. Meeting so many people so quickly is overwhelming, but you'll be glad you did it. Also, go to all the ASG events throughout the year. They're awesome.

Congratulations to all of you. I'll be around if you have any more questions.

By the way, I plan on hosting at least one or two of the orientation parties, assuming my roommates and I can ever get a house secured. I expect to see you all there. :)

Congratulations Engr!! I knew you would get in!!!

It has been one week since I got admitted and I am still ecstatic to be starting at UAMS. It is funny though, when I tell my peers where I am going many times they look at me with a look of sympathy. I explain to them that UAMS was actually my absolute first choice and that I liked it better than any of the other schools I was accepted to, but I still don't think they believe me :) Their loss! Honestly, UAMS was great and I would have picked it over any other school on my list!

Also, my wife put in her notice at her work the other day and it was met with a similar response. Except when she told her coworkers where she was moving, Little Rock, they literally said, "Wow, I don't envy you..." Woah! Talk about blunt... These high pressured, Washington DC, power lunch types, can't fathom moving to Little Rock. My wife and I, conversely, are counting down the days.

So any other married or serious relationship students out there starting in the Fall? I think it would be fun to plan a few get togethers so our spouses can get to know one another. I know my wife is excited to get to know other med student wives so that they can commiserate.

Also, we are heading down to Little Rock on Thursday and I wanted to put out one more request for apartment complex suggestions. We will be looking at as many as we can, so if you have lived in, or know someone who has lived in, a good apartment complex let me know the name so I can add it to the list!!

Congrats again Engr!

JD, UAMS is a hidden jewel. I have lived all over the country and have worked at UAMS for a couple of years and like you and the rest of our classmates, I am ecstatic that I will be obtaining my medical education at such a great institution! The growth is phenomenal and there are only more great things to come. Pack your bags and you and the Mrs. pay no heed to the doubters in D.C :)

JD, UAMS is a hidden jewel. I have lived all over the country and have worked at UAMS for a couple of years and like you and the rest of our classmates, I am ecstatic that I will be obtaining my medical education at such a great institution! The growth is phenomenal and there are only more great things to come. Pack your bags and you and the Mrs. pay no heed to the doubters in D.C :)

I totally agree Doc! We LOVED it there. I was talking to my wife this morning and she clarified what a supervisor had said upon hearing the news that she was leaving. She approached my wife and said, "So I hear you are moving on to not-so-greener pastures where they eat possum."

My wife was offended! Rather ridiculous for such uninformed comments to be made. Oh well, she is glad she only has to work there for a few more weeks. Can't wait to move down there and meet everyone!! Me and Mrs. are currently packing our bags...

MilkmanAl,

I did do pre-matric and would recommend it. You won't learn any biochem or cell there but you'll have ample opportunity to:

*make some of the best friends you'll have while you're here,
*meet some M2's to call on when you need to know something,
*figure out your way around campus,
*meet with residents and residency directors who come at lunch to do Q&A's. :thumbup:

So, if you have the opportunity to go to Europe instead then go to Europe. But if you're not doing anything then by all means I think it's a good deal.

But I guess to answer your question you won't be behind or anything for not going.

Status
Not open for further replies.