Arkansas Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Any movement? Man, these few weeks are dragging!

I think the major movement won't occur for another couple weeks. At that point everyone will have to withdraw from all but one school. After that there shouldn't be any major movement if any at all. The only movement I can see after may 15 is the first of July when UAMS requires verification of matriculation requirements. There's always one or two that mess that up. Good luck DrJD. I'd call linda and ask her if there's been significant movement.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the major movement won't occur for another couple weeks. At that point everyone will have to withdraw from all but one school. After that there shouldn't be any major movement if any at all. The only movement I can see after may 15 is the first of July when UAMS requires verification of matriculation requirements. There's always one or two that mess that up. Good luck DrJD. I'd call linda and ask her if there's been significant movement.

Thank you for the info :) I'm extremely thankful that its only a couple weeks away now. It will just be nice to know where Ill be for the next four years! Thanks for the good luck!

So question for those of you who are local to the Little Rock area.

My wife and I are looking at different areas, and recently have been looking into Benton/Bryant. Do any of you have any experience with those? They seem inexpensive, nice and a 20 to 30 minute drive away from UAMS with traffic. What do you think?

We are just looking for a nice, safe suburb type city to live in. Any suggestions? (This is all hoping that I get pulled from the Alternate list of course, but if we are pulled we want to have all of our research done!)

Members don't see this ad :)
So question for those of you who are local to the Little Rock area.

My wife and I are looking at different areas, and recently have been looking into Benton/Bryant. Do any of you have any experience with those? They seem inexpensive, nice and a 20 to 30 minute drive away from UAMS with traffic. What do you think?

We are just looking for a nice, safe suburb type city to live in. Any suggestions? (This is all hoping that I get pulled from the Alternate list of course, but if we are pulled we want to have all of our research done!)

Benton is nice. I lived there til I was 8. It's fast growing area. There are some newer houses that are pretty inexpensive. You might be underestimating the travel time. It's 20 minutes without traffic and 630 can get pretty bad. Also, it's a dry county so I wouldn't live there. I'm sure there will be days when I just need to go get a beer. Little rock isn't an "unsafe" city as long as you don't go south of 630. West little rock is nice. Not sure how much houses are. Any other questions let us know.

I wish but probably not. :laugh: They have all the information they need from me and apparently have given me what they consider my maximum.

So Chemist, any luck on making the tough decision? Future Razorback!?

Benton is nice. I lived there til I was 8. It's fast growing area. There are some newer houses that are pretty inexpensive. You might be underestimating the travel time. It's 20 minutes without traffic and 630 can get pretty bad. Also, it's a dry county so I wouldn't live there. I'm sure there will be days when I just need to go get a beer. Little rock isn't an "unsafe" city as long as you don't go south of 630. West little rock is nice. Not sure how much houses are. Any other questions let us know.

Thanks hog! We don't really mind about the dry county, cause we don't drink... I think we were looking at maybe trying Bryant since its a little closer and would cut down on a little bit of the commute time. We are also going to look in West Little Rock area cause that seemed nice while we were there.

Don't know if we are going to buy or not, but it looks like you can get some nice 2 and 3 bedroom apartments in Bryant for a good price so we'll see! If I get accepted I'm sure we'll have more questions :)

I'll always be a Razorback :) I think I'm going to Wake Forest...it's a great opportunity, and I feel like I'd regret not taking it. BUT, we'll see.

You waiting for more info, or just waiting to make the final, final decision until closer to the 15th?

You waiting for more info, or just waiting to make the final, final decision until closer to the 15th?

wouldn't that be something if you got chemists spot. Positive thoughts going your way

wouldn't that be something if you got chemists spot. Positive thoughts going your way

Haha, ya I hadn't thought of that. Chemist seems nice so I was pulling for him to stay! I can use all the positive thoughts you got...

Here's my impression of some of the popular places to live with a family.

Benton/Bryant - fairly rural, affordable, 30 minute commute and possibly longer when I-30 clogs up, safety not an issue, great school district

W. LR - nice and fairly new, more expensive than above, shorter trip, safe area, plenty of apartment options

Heights - close to school, cool neighborhood, I know people who live here who have had break ins, kind of expensive

Cammack village - a cool place to live, to quote someone else "you'll feel like a lazy bum cause everyone here walks their dog all day every day", 10 minutes or so from school, fairly expensive, don't think there's any appartments here, pretty safe

Maumelle - a planned community just across the I-430 bridge, safety not an issue, moderately expensive, good elementary schools, middle schools not so much, now has it's own Wal-Mart so no more driving into LR to go shopping. Takes 20 minutes to get to school at 9:00 (30 if you have to be there at 8:00)

All of these places except benton/bryant are in the Pulaski County Special School district which is kind of a mess. I'm biased towards Maumelle, it's got tons of parks, walking trails, and lakes. Most of the streets end in cul-de-saks so you don't get much through traffic (good for kids to play out side).

Feel free to weigh in on my impressions and tell me if I've misrepresented any of these places.

Haha, ya I hadn't thought of that. Chemist seems nice so I was pulling for him to stay! I can use all the positive thoughts you got...

Yeah, I probably won't withdraw from my other schools until closer to the 15th. UK has promised some kind of scholarship so I have to weight that too. And the whole time I was thinking you were trying to get me to go to Wake Forest to free up a spot! :p I really do hope you get it. :thumbup:

Yeah, I probably won't withdraw from my other schools until closer to the 15th. UK has promised some kind of scholarship so I have to weight that too. And the whole time I was thinking you were trying to get me to go to Wake Forest to free up a spot! :p I really do hope you get it. :thumbup:

Never! Like I said, I actually was pulling for you to pick UAMS... :) I just checked out your mdapplicants and noticed that you were accepted to SLU. I'm actually on the waitlist at SLU as well, lol So essentially no matter what school you choose you'll be helping me out in one way or the other!

But thanks for hoping I get your spot at UAMS since thats my first choice school :) Congrats!

Well fellow UAMS waitlisters, today is the 2nd which means we have about 13 days until there is a rush of movement!! I've never been more excited about anything, (well except my wedding date :) )

How are all of you rural practice candidates doing? Have you all already been pulled from the waitlist, or will you find out with the rest of us in just under two weeks?

Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well fellow UAMS waitlisters, today is the 2nd which means we have about 13 days until there is a rush of movement!! I've never been more excited about anything, (well except my wedding date :) )

How are all of you rural practice candidates doing? Have you all already been pulled from the waitlist, or will you find out with the rest of us in just under two weeks?

Good luck :luck:

nope, i haven't been pulled from the list. how many rural people got in? just one? The wait is excruciating, but it will end soon. ;)

Alternate list movement continues. My application was approved for the Rural Practice Program in April and I received my acceptance letter today :) I am overjoyed and so thankful! I wish everyone the best!

UAMS COM Class of 2013!

Alternate list movement continues. My application was approved for the Rural Practice Program in April and I received my acceptance letter today :) I am overjoyed and so thankful! I wish everyone the best!

UAMS COM Class of 2013!

Congratulations Doc2012, that is so great. So which primary care field you are you hoping to go into? Congratulations again, hopefully I'll be your classmate!

So what do you guys think? Will this week be primarily Rural Practice movement? And the rest of us will have to wait until next week? Be sure to post if you get a big envelope :) Good luck everyone! :luck: 8 more days!!!!:D

UAMS COM Class of 2013!

Congrats Doc2012!! i hope i get mine in the mail today and that we have a lot of movement soon! ;)

Thanks JD and Aaron2008 for the good wishes. JD, I am interested in Ob-Gyn so we'll see. Aaron2008 and JD I hope you receive your acceptances very soon. Hold on, the wait is almost over :luck:

Last edited:
Congrats Doc2012!! i hope i get mine in the mail today and that we have a lot of movement soon! ;)

So no go on getting your acceptance in the mail yesterday?

:laugh: we'll see if today is my lucky day.

:xf::xf:

I'm guessing that since we haven't heard from you that it hasn't come yet, but no worries, I'm sure it will come soon!! :)

Couple questions for some current residents or current students:

Parking: Parking is available right? My understanding is that there is a small lot that fills up fast on campus, but you can park in the stadium parking lot and get shuttled there. Both options are free, correct?

Question for MilkMan: How are the hours of class for the first year? 8 to 3? 8 to 12? How does your average week look?

Question about Benton/Bryant: So 30 minutes unless the I-30 clogs up, at that point are we talking 40 minutes? An hour? Living in the DC area right now its crazy... 20 minutes no traffic, same drive with at least an hour and 20 minutes...

Thanks to anyone who knows!

Parking: Parking is available right? My understanding is that there is a small lot that fills up fast on campus, but you can park in the stadium parking lot and get shuttled there. Both options are free, correct?
Correct on all counts.
How are the hours of class for the first year? 8 to 3? 8 to 12? How does your average week look?
I attached the spring spreadsheet, but the fall one isn't uploading for some reason. I'll work on that. Quick answer for those of you without Office '07:

1) before gross starts (i.e. during biochem and cell bio): 9-2 or 3
2) during gross: 9-4
3) after gross: 10-12 for awhile then 9-2

edit: The fall schedule is too big to upload. Boo.

Attachments

• 08-09_M1 Spring Int Cur 4.6.09.xls
    139.5 KB · Views: 196
Couple questions for some current residents or current students:

Question for MilkMan: How are the hours of class for the first year? 8 to 3? 8 to 12? How does your average week look?

Question about Benton/Bryant: So 30 minutes unless the I-30 clogs up, at that point are we talking 40 minutes? An hour? Living in the DC area right now its crazy... 20 minutes no traffic, same drive with at least an hour and 20 minutes...

JD, I live close to Bryant. I love it out here. Lots of growth since I moved here a couple of years ago and it is fairly serene and peaceful. The commute is not that bad. It usually is a thirty minute commute (approx.) but this could get worse during rush hour or if there is an accident on the freeway. There are several back roads off I-30 that can be taken to campus (such as University Av. or Fair Park). Also there is are alternate freeway - I-430 (to I-630) that is an option.

Parking isn't great but it's free, and it's better than my undergrad parking was. When you get registered, get on the waiting list for a paid spot if you want one. You can check online once a month or so to make sure you're moving up the list. Print it out occasionally because I know people somehow disappear off the list. One of my classmates was diligent about this and got a spot after about 6 months of waiting. I registered 24 months ago and haven't gotten one.

Correct on all counts.
I attached the spring spreadsheet, but the fall one isn't uploading for some reason. I'll work on that. Quick answer for those of you without Office '07:

1) before gross starts (i.e. during biochem and cell bio): 9-2 or 3
2) during gross: 9-4
3) after gross: 10-12 for awhile then 9-2

edit: The fall schedule is too big to upload. Boo.

Thanks for the schedule MilkMan!!

JD, I live close to Bryant. I love it out here. Lots of growth since I moved here a couple of years ago and it is fairly serene and peaceful. The commute is not that bad. It usually is a thirty minute commute (approx.) but this could get worse during rush hour or if there is an accident on the freeway. There are several back roads off I-30 that can be taken to campus (such as University Av. or Fair Park). Also there is are alternate freeway - I-430 (to I-630) that is an option.

Thats great! My wife and I really want to buy something, and the prices are great once you get a little out of Little Rock. Right now Bryant is near the top of the list. Now I just need to get off of that waitlist! Hopefully movement will start later this week, although its been very quiet here. Not even all of the rural practice have heard yet from the sounds of it.

Parking isn't great but it's free, and it's better than my undergrad parking was. When you get registered, get on the waiting list for a paid spot if you want one. You can check online once a month or so to make sure you're moving up the list. Print it out occasionally because I know people somehow disappear off the list. One of my classmates was diligent about this and got a spot after about 6 months of waiting. I registered 24 months ago and haven't gotten one.

Wow, 24 months and no luck? How much are the paid spots? How much closer/convenient are they? Thanks for the info! :)

Thanks for the schedule MilkMan!!

Wow, 24 months and no luck? How much are the paid spots? How much closer/convenient are they? Thanks for the info! :)

The guy I know got lot 1 which is about as close as you can get to the education buildings. I don't have a clue what it costs but I'd guess around $300 a year. The point I was trying to make was if you just put yourself on the wait list and don't keep up with the list every now and then, that you'll probably never get a spot. If you watch it and make sure you keep moving up and don't drop off then that's the way you'll make it.

Hello all! I'm new. I'm an out-of-stater on the waitlist for UAMS, and I have been following this blog for quite some time. Anyway, I just got an email from Linda telling me to make sure that the information on AMCAS is up to date and to send final transcripts if they are ready. I'm pretty sure it went out to most everyone on the waitlist, so it looks like non-rural practice letters should be coming out soon! Yay!

Hello all! I'm new. I'm an out-of-stater on the waitlist for UAMS, and I have been following this blog for quite some time. Anyway, I just got an email from Linda telling me to make sure that the information on AMCAS is up to date and to send final transcripts if they are ready. I'm pretty sure it went out to most everyone on the waitlist, so it looks like non-rural practice letters should be coming out soon! Yay!

Nice, lets hope it starts moving soon! :luck:

Any news, guys? Things should be moving along briskly pretty soon!

Seems like Ms. Dupuy sent all of us waitlisters an e-mail today telling us to make sure our contact info was up to date. Hopefully that means she intends to start using some of them soon :) Sounds like last year you got it on the 15th, which was a Thursday, so hopefully she start mailing out some letters asap! :)

Any rural practice or Arkansas residents get anything in the mail today?

I got 2 credit card offers and some coupons.

I got my letter yesterday:soexcited:

This is it guys. Good luck everyone :luck:

Congratulations Aaron!!! That is very exciting! So will you be attending UAMS for sure then? (Also, I can't remember, were you Rural Practice, or just in-state waitlist?)

Either way, congratulations again, you are going to be a Doctor!

Congratulations Aaron 2008! See you in the fall. I will actually participate in the pre-mat program so I will be on campus in July. Good luck to everyone who is waiting.

Alright guys, we made it to the 15th! I'm guessing we should all start hearing soon... Good luck!

BTW- Nothing in the mail from UAMS for me today... :( But at least mail comes tomorrow as well, lol

So what do you think everyone? Will this week be the week we start to see some movement?

Thanks JD and Doc!

JD, I will be attending UAMS this fall, and yeah I'm in the Rural Practice Program. I think everyone is going to receive a letter by next Friday. A big yellow letter means you're accepted! Good luck everyone!!! I hope to see you in August since I'm not doing the pre-mat.

Thanks JD and Doc!

JD, I will be attending UAMS this fall, and yeah I'm in the Rural Practice Program. I think everyone is going to receive a letter by next Friday. A big yellow letter means you're accepted! Good luck everyone!!! I hope to see you in August since I'm not doing the pre-mat.

Congrats Aaron, that is great! You think everyone from the rural practice or just everyone in the first wave of waitlist movement? Thanks for the update!

UAMS says that some non-rural practice program acceptances have gone out, so there is starting to be more movement. Hopefully, they are just in the mail?

UAMS says that some non-rural practice program acceptances have gone out, so there is starting to be more movement. Hopefully, they are just in the mail?

Thanks for the info, I didn't get anything in the mail today... :( Lets hope you're right and they are are still in the mail!

Hello to all! I am waitlisted at UAMS and have been checking this board and my mailbox regularly for updates.

EngrDr--thanks so much for the information!! Do you happen to have a general idea of how many non-rural track acceptances have been sent? It is so tough not knowing where I am on the list.

Good luck to everyone!

Hello to all! I am waitlisted at UAMS and have been checking this board and my mailbox regularly for updates.

EngrDr--thanks so much for the information!! Do you happen to have a general idea of how many non-rural track acceptances have been sent? It is so tough not knowing where I am on the list.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey Hopeful,

Welcome to the thread! Be sure to post in here as you get updates, so that we can all wait this out together. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.