Brown VS Northwestern VS Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medicaldoc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding to go to schools among Brown, Northwestern and Pittsburgh medical school, any one has any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not familiar with Brown, but I interviewed at Pitt and Northwestern. This is what I saw:
Pittmed:
-WISER sim center was awesome
-Curriculum was streamlined yet jam packed. It was very well-thought-out and every minute of the day was there for a purpose. But there was not much down-time. They are also innovative w curriculum and tweaking things in response to student feedback
-Clinical training was strong due to extensive UPMC hospital network, lots of patient diversity
-Research is strong, and scholarly project is required. Pittmed is trying hard to break into the top ten ranking and has been rapidly rising in ranking the last few years, I picked up on an "up-and-coming" type of vibe which I liked
-Location is surprisingly beautiful, more small city feel than Chicago, more natural beauty with all the rivers, trees & hills

Northwestern:
-Great downtown location right next to lake
-Most students live right near the school
-Curriculum is way streamlined (4 hrs lecture per day) w lots of free time for studying/partying.
-possible to do a concurrent MPH w/out adding an extra yr
-Nice academic facilities and hospital, some patient diversity, but not as much as Pitt
-Lots of younger 7yr bacc/md students from NW undergrad
-Students overall seem happier and more friendly at NW, not that they weren't happy at Pitt, Pitt students were just seemed more serious and busy overall

Between Pitt and NW, I would say choose Pitt if you want the absolute best academic and clinical training and don't mind the extra work, and like the smaller city atmosphere. I would say choose NW if you want excellent training but still want time to relax and have fun w other students, and would enjoy a big city downtown experience. I think both schools would give you the same types of options residency wise. I would personally choose Pitt but that is based on my situation and preferences. I would be very happy at NW as well, and if I were a young single premed I would go there over Pitt.

Feel free to PM me if you want to compare our interview experiences further. Congratulations on some great choices, good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
All of these schools are nice, as the previous poster mentioned, you'll have a lot of BS/MD students at both Brown and NU. Whether this will affect your decision is questionable. I think Pitt has a marginally better reputation for academic med and NU seems to pipeline a lot of their specialty bound ppl into a couple specific routes historically but they're all good schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.