California Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... if I were to go to med school elsewhere outside of Cali (considering how there are only 2 freaking schools here)... how difficult would it to come back home for residency?

I was looking at the match lists for various schools, and except for COMP and Touro, there were very few, if ANY people coming to Cali for residency.

Trying to start my preliminary list of schools to apply to, and this was an issue I wanted to address.

Members don't see this ad.

So... if I were to go to med school elsewhere outside of Cali (considering how there are only 2 freaking schools here)... how difficult would it to come back home for residency?

I was looking at the match lists for various schools, and except for COMP and Touro, there were very few, if ANY people coming to Cali for residency.

Trying to start my preliminary list of schools to apply to, and this was an issue I wanted to address.

CA is tough for residency simply because so many people want to live there. Remember though ... that the two DO schools in CA probably have the most CA residents and the people who want to return to CA for practice.

You're gonna spend 80 hours a week inside the hospital anyway...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah.. I def know how tough CA is to get a residency.

Im fine with going away for med school, but would like to be close, or at least within a few hours from my family when I do residency.

My parents are old and I have a younger sister with severe disabilities that I want to make sure I'm near to in case something happens.

Do hospitals put a lot of weight where you went to medical school in terms of whether they accept you for residency? for example, would someone who went to PCOM have a lot harder time getting into a CA residency than someone who went to Western, even if both are CA residents.

Yeah.. I def know how tough CA is to get a residency.

Im fine with going away for med school, but would like to be close, or at least within a few hours from my family when I do residency.

My parents are old and I have a younger sister with severe disabilities that I want to make sure I'm near to in case something happens.

Do hospitals put a lot of weight where you went to medical school in terms of whether they accept you for residency? for example, would someone who went to PCOM have a lot harder time getting into a CA residency than someone who went to Western, even if both are CA residents.

Based on merit ... no. Based on the fact that the residency program may be familiar with Western students and the fact that said student probably had the opportunity to do an audition rotation there ... yes.

i was also told that doing audition rotations during your 3rd and 4th year in the hospitals you wish to see yourself doing residencies at was a good advantage, because the people there already know you, and by the time you apply for residency, you're not just a name and some numbers on a paper. So the advantage of doing your audition rotations in california is the networking. That being said, I feel like some schools allow you to set up your 4th year for yourself, so if you don't go to school at COMP or Touro, maybe you can see how flexible other schools are about setting up and doing rotations in CA during your 4th year.

are california DO schools ridiculously tough to get into out of state? Does someone who is out of state but on the border of being able to get into an MD program other places even stand a chance?

Touro CA doesn't favor in state residents, so you have an equal chance of getting in whether you are in state or oos. I'm oos and I got in. I didn't apply to COMP so I don't know how they work.

....I was looking at the match lists for various schools, and except for COMP and Touro, there were very few, if ANY people coming to Cali for residency.

You're going about it the wrong way. The matchlist means nothing unless yu know how many people actually WANTED to go to California for residency. I only know 2 poeple in my class that really wanted to go to Cali and they both got spots there. There may be more of them, but I can't really say at this point.

What you should look for is schools that will let you do a fair number of rotations in Cali. Mine will... I don't know about the others. Rotating there will help you.

You're going about it the wrong way. The matchlist means nothing unless yu know how many people actually WANTED to go to California for residency. I only know 2 poeple in my class that really wanted to go to Cali and they both got spots there. There may be more of them, but I can't really say at this point.

What you should look for is schools that will let you do a fair number of rotations in Cali. Mine will... I don't know about the others. Rotating there will help you.

Hmm.. never thought about that. You're right!

Btw.. do you mind me asking what school you go to? and if any other DO students can tell me if their school lets students set up rotations in Cali as well...

CA is tough for residency simply because so many people want to live there. Remember though ... that the two DO schools in CA probably have the most CA residents and the people who want to return to CA for practice.

I think it depends on the area. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to get a residency in Bakersfield, Fresno, or some other armpit ****ty ghetto area of CA.

Better than nothing. At least it gets you in the state you want to live in.

Better than nothing. At least it gets you in the state you want to live in.

Trust me when I say that those places aren't what people think of when they think of typical CA areas. It's not like the areas of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, or San Diego. They really are arm pits of CA with nothing but farms and meth. The entire town of Bakersfield smells like cow shet. There are some areas of CA that would be no different then some ghetto, midwest, out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere, population-2000 areas that people are trying to move out of. ;)

I think it depends on the area. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to get a residency in Bakersfield, Fresno, or some other armpit ****ty ghetto area of CA.

Most likely.

are california DO schools ridiculously tough to get into out of state? Does someone who is out of state but on the border of being able to get into an MD program other places even stand a chance?

i got in. im from AL with average Western acceptee GPA. i didnt set any new recoreds with my MCAT but its just around the average for Western.

Good point, and I like your name ;)