Columbia versus USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GhostNote

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I rarely post here (longtime lurker), but I'll be damned if I'm not in the middle of a serious dilemma.

I got accepted to two schools... both of which I like a lot, and I just can't decide: Keck (USC) and Columbia.

I'm from LA, and my family and most of my best friends are here. I have a great apartment and love my life here. Also, I've lived in New York before (I'm an older student), so moving to NY doesn't have that "holy sh**" appeal that it otherwise might. Though I do like NY, I like LA a bit better.

With that said, however, I loved Columbia when I visited. Really really liked the school's vibe, and the students seemed really happy there.

But... they seemed really happy at Keck, too!

Can anyone chime in with some info regarding a few things? Say, the length of an average day at Columbia? Study load at either school? Whether or not I'm insane for considering USC over an Ivy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you intend to stay in Socal for residency and after, USC will not necessarily put you at a disadvantage.

If you want to keep your options for residency open for the Northeast or basically anywhere that's not California, Columbia will have the strong advantage.

Wait until you get financial aid! USC has notoriously terrible financial aid, and I'm not sure how Columbia's is but I don't think USC is worth the $300k price tag if you have other options. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to Columbia. Top elite schools have advantages / connections that can open doors for its students. In addition, if you want to do important research, it is crucial to attend top schools.

I would go to Columbia. Top elite schools have advantages / connections that can open doors for its students. In addition, if you want to do important research, it is crucial to attend top schools.

Eh, USC may not open any super special doors, but it definitely won't close any either. It depends on what GhostNote wants: If a high-powered academic career is the goal, then maybe Columbia could be worth sacrificing the valuable network at home, but if not, then I wouldn't think twice about staying closer to the people I love (especially if I were an older student).

*Assuming costs end up similar.

Reactions: 1 user
Eh, USC may not open any super special doors, but it definitely won't close any either. It depends on what GhostNote wants: If a high-powered academic career is the goal, then maybe Columbia could be worth sacrificing the valuable network at home, but if not, then I wouldn't think twice about staying closer to the people I love (especially if I were an older student).

*Assuming costs end up similar.

Agreed and emphasis on the maybe. For any kind of endevour you wish to pursue during/after medical school, where you end up largely stems from your own effort. The road there might be better paved elsewhere, but the distance traveled depends on you. Think about where you see yourself happier and more determined (and consider cost too, after aid rolls in).

I think the designation of 'important' is a bit subjective. When you're comparing research at these schools, you're mostly looking at aggregate funding. There might be some serious projects/fields of study at USC that are more developed compared with Columbia (and vice versa). If op really wants to look at research, maybe looking at the nature/kinds of projects that interest him at each institution would be more prudent instead of following the ranking/reputation mantra.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all. Great to get everyone's perspectives.