Creighton vs Albany Medical college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albany vs Creighton

• Albany Medical College

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Creighton

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmbutah

l
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which would you chose?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same tuition as well? Is one closer to your family? Did you like the location of one more than the other?

Same tuition as well? Is one closer to your family? Did you like the location of one more than the other?

Creighton is closer to the family (Utah) I like Albany's location alot better, access to outdoor rec, which omaha is pretty much devoid of and a bigger city, but Albany doesn't feel like a real school, it feels like a wing of the hospital with students...and I just can't get any information about it. Creighton I get a really good vibe from and has been really responsive. So its really a question of the school I like vs the location I like and I really go back and forth on what matters more.

I think most people consider them to be pretty much even, and are voting based on being closer to your family (Creighton). Honestly if I were in your position and being in a bigger city was a decent concern for you I would still be considering NYMC as well.

I'm a student at Albany Med. My advice is go with your gut, everything else aside. The people make or break your experience. I don't know what you mean by you couldn't get a read on the school but I can tell you why I chose to come here. I worked for two med schools before finally going to med school myself. The students at the other schools were so cut-throat and backstabbing. That type of environment is so exhausting and I didn't want to deal with that kind of crap for four years. Hardly ever does a day go by when I don't have at least one email from a classmate sending out a link to a helpful website or a summary table someone made. The students here work their asses off but we are more interested in helping each other than competing with each other. I can usually just walk in to see one of the deans at any time without making an appointment. The professors most of the time will drop whatever they are doing to help you if you walk into their office, they hold extra help sessions, all materials including notes and recorded lectures are online.... the list goes on and on. These were the things that were important to me in choosing a school, and after coming here I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I made the right decision. Hopefully this sheds some light on the school situation. If you have any specific questions let me know. I'll tell you the downsides as well and try to give an accurate representation of what life is like here. In the end though, determine what is most important to you and go with your gut.

I'm a student at Albany Med. My advice is go with your gut, everything else aside. The people make or break your experience. I don't know what you mean by you couldn't get a read on the school but I can tell you why I chose to come here. I worked for two med schools before finally going to med school myself. The students at the other schools were so cut-throat and backstabbing. That type of environment is so exhausting and I didn't want to deal with that kind of crap for four years. Hardly ever does a day go by when I don't have at least one email from a classmate sending out a link to a helpful website or a summary table someone made. The students here work their asses off but we are more interested in helping each other than competing with each other. I can usually just walk in to see one of the deans at any time without making an appointment. The professors most of the time will drop whatever they are doing to help you if you walk into their office, they hold extra help sessions, all materials including notes and recorded lectures are online.... the list goes on and on. These were the things that were important to me in choosing a school, and after coming here I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I made the right decision. Hopefully this sheds some light on the school situation. If you have any specific questions let me know. I'll tell you the downsides as well and try to give an accurate representation of what life is like here. In the end though, determine what is most important to you and go with your gut.

Sounds like you're describing Creighton there. ;) As a Creighton student, I completely agree with your advice, going with the gut will not lead you astray. For the OP, it seems like priorities start with location, so if you think that location/outdoor activities will greatly influence your overall happiness, then maybe Albany is a better fit. With that said, I have really come to love Omaha and the development that's going on here. Unfortunately, as of today there are no mountains scheduled to go up in the near future. If you have specific questions about Creighton, don't hesitate to ask either on here of via PM. To reiterate what hospitalist2b said, determine your priorities and go with your gut. I'm a happiness-breeds-success kinda guy, so going where you think you'd be happiest is my best advice. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.