Dartmouth vs Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docforsure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you pick and why?

I'm leaning towards Vandy because it's not isolated like Dartmouth but I really need help figuring out why one over the other. I'd appreciate any kind of input you have. thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Even though I can only speak for Vanderbilt, I like its location, happiness, and the fact that all the hospitals and clinics are located very close to the school. Everybody just really loves it there.

Dartmouth is apparently willing to send you almost anywhere for clinicals, but I don't think I could take the isolated cold and stuff for 2+ yrs unless I was really really outdoorsy.

location aside, does anyone want to comment on any other pros/cons of each?

Members don't see this ad :)
location aside, does anyone want to comment on any other pros/cons of each?

I think of Dartmouth as a progressive leader in health care and medicine. Dartmouth is famous for its Atlas on Health Care where they do a lot of research on health care disparities, cost vs. quality, etc. Dartmouth is fairly frequently in the news and a few months ago, there was a doctor from Dartmouth-Hitchcock featured on 60 Minutes in a story about end of life care. When I interviewed, I got the impression that Dartmouth does a good job with educating medical students to be excellent, conscientious clinicians.

i'd go with vandy. i loved it on my interview day there. great hospitals, great support network of faculty and peers (i cannot emphasize that enough), and i believe they have great financial aid.

didn't apply to dartmouth, but i do think location is a big factor in this decision that you shouldn't ignore. nashville and hanover on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of city/outdoorsy life, weather, etc. and few people would be equally as happy in both locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.