Duke-NUS GMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloosive

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the new thread for GMS, meant to replace the older thread titled 'Applicant Interview Day', which indicates close to nothing.

I'm really disappointed that the admissions office isn't giving ANY update at all. It's been over 3 months since the first interivew day in late Nov and they still won't say anything about outcomes or when they'll be released. I tried calling last week and got such a vague "April or may, possibly earlier", and it seems Clairlila isn't getting anything from her email either.

Anyone else tried asking about an application status update? Please post on the response you've gotten (or the lack of it).

Members don't see this ad.

Now 3 Duke threads? :laugh:

Well this one isn't regarding DukeMed applications, it's about applications to the Duke-NUS GMS in singapore. Technically it's also a Duke thread i guess. Go Duke!!

Members don't see this ad :)
choklad: yes, it seems like someone has indeed received a letter of acceptance, but that's all i'm aware of; 'a batch'? my goodness... this is dreadfully painful a wait for me...

Is it one of those friend of a friend of a friend, or did someone you know actually receive an acceptance?

Whoo~ new thread!!

I sent an email today to bug them... Dunno whether they'll reply. No letter in the mailbox except for bills, bills, bills.

So far the existence of acceptance letters are hearsay, though coming from Dr Kamei himself it's pretty convincing...

News update. To my knowledge TWO have received the letters of acceptance. One's a boy, the other's a girl. And no, I'm neither one (who received the letters, not gender-wise, DUH!)

And yes, both are people I know of in person or by proxy of one mutual friend.

zippetydooda, you know any details? like did they do super well in MCAT or have super high CAP or any other things?

didn't ask but i'm guessing the whole selection process depends on more than just MCAT/GPA scores alone...

didn't ask but i'm guessing the whole selection process depends on more than just MCAT/GPA scores alone...

Of course, but GMS-wise numbers are important this year because they don't want to start the pioneer class with average MCAT and GPA much lower than Duke's. I would guess the acceptees so far have MCAT >32 and GPA >3.7.

And as unfortunate as it may be, it'll be the people with good numbers and essays and ECs and LORs and interviews who would be accepted first, then they'll consider those with iffy numbers/good others or great numbers/iffy others.

Well this one isn't regarding DukeMed applications, it's about applications to the Duke-NUS GMS in singapore. Technically it's also a Duke thread i guess. Go Duke!!

but isn't pre-allo for US schools only?

isn't there an international med school forum for such a purpose?

Hey,

For those that were asking in the other thread (Applicant Interview Day) about the results, it was a talk that Dr. Kamei was giving to promote the existence of Duke-NUS GMS here in NTU. If I heard correctly, he did mention something about sending out acceptance letters on that day itself..so all the best for those who're waiting for them!

Just got back from work, nothing in the mailbox. This is beginning to get really tiresome. Anyone heard from the admissions office recently?

Hippocrates80....pls post on what you hear at your interview tomorrow. Dr Kamei should be giving a speech in the morning and he'll probably mention something about the current situation

Could someone please move this thread to the "International Medicine" section? This is clearly not a US school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, guys, the reason why this thread is in the MD forum is because it started from another thread on interviews, which was posted here because the Duke-NUS is modeled after Duke closely. Anyway, mods, pls move this to the appropriate section when you have a chance.

Back to topic: no reply from the admission people (who are usually wonderfully prompt!) WHY??

Of course, but GMS-wise numbers are important this year because they don't want to start the pioneer class with average MCAT and GPA much lower than Duke's. I would guess the acceptees so far have MCAT >32 and GPA >3.7.

Actually, I don't think the MCAT scores would be comparable to Duke's. MCAT is never used in a school in Singapore before and I bet most of the applicants have never heard of it until they read the GMS admission requirements. Dr K. told me that the school understood that they will be seeing a different kind of MCAT scores among the applicants, as in the US premeds normally take 4 years to prepare for it, rather than the few months we had. Overall, I was under the impression that the GMS is looking for a rather different type of candidates than Duke - but I guess we'll find out for sure soon...

(However this being Singapore and this being a well-publicized move towards being a biomedical hub blahblahblah, I'm afraid stellar GPA is still a must.)

Could someone please move this thread to the "International Medicine" section? This is clearly not a US school.

It's a joint degree program with a US school, run mainly according to that school's curriculum and admissions. Not much different from the McGill thread a while ago. Not that I care where it is, but why get so bothered to make it your 13th post? :confused:

calling to hippocrates80... how did the interview go?

dang, this thread is beginning to resemble a densha otoko episode, lol :laugh:

calling to hippocrates80... how did the interview go?

dang, this thread is beginning to resemble a densha otoko episode, lol :laugh:

Dude, the interview day doesn't end till late afternoon....relax

Btw, anime sucks.

Haven't watched/read any densha otoko ^^

Anyway I'm glad we get to do this waiting game together hahaha..

Here's a question: what are your plans if you're not accepted?!

Me, I'll probably reapply next year, so it's another year of being overworked and underpaid at my current job.... Not looking forward to it!

Hippocrates, we're waiting for your news...

If you also meet the requirement for DUKE medical school, you will get dual MD degree after 4 years!

For an American, DUKE-NUS GMS could be another choice to get the US MD degree.

For the one who apply next year, the competition would be higher!!

Wow..I didn't realize I was the source of such anxiety levels..sorry for keeping you guys waiting though..it's been a long day..

In his welcome speech..Dr. Kamei mentioned that all acceptance letters will be sent out by April 7th..and those on the waiting list will know if they're accepted by May 7th..so that answers your question..

Hi all,

First of all a WOW for making it to the interview stage, I plan to apply to GMS the next year, so was wondering on what kind of a background it expects from its students: like with work exp/fresh from uni, international student/singaporean, life sci major/other majors, research exp/no research exp.... oh, and how easy/tuff is the MCAT? What kind of scores are good?

Glad to have made it to this thread, quite by chance I must say.. Would anybody be interested in setting up an interest group in Yahoo...etc for those applicants interested/those selected? Then info could be shared in a more organised manner.. Just my two cents.

And for all those who are really anxious, just hang in there- I sincerely hope it all goes well for you!!:)

Haven't watched/read any densha otoko ^^

Anyway I'm glad we get to do this waiting game together hahaha..

Here's a question: what are your plans if you're not accepted?!

Me, I'll probably reapply next year, so it's another year of being overworked and underpaid at my current job.... Not looking forward to it!

Hey choklad..after today's interview..I may have to agree with you on that..and I won't be looking forward to it either..:laugh:

Wow..I didn't realize I was the source of such anxiety levels..sorry for keeping you guys waiting though..it's been a long day..

In his welcome speech..Dr. Kamei mentioned that all acceptance letters will be sent out by April 7th..and those on the waiting list will know if they're accepted by May 7th..so that answers your question..

Thanks for the info!

dear hippo
it's zippo
did dr kamei mention
if there are any more interviews?

April 7!!! It's only Mar 9!!! How am I going to last another month???

Thanks for the info, hippo! Didn't get lucky during the interviewer lottery huh? ^^;;

April 7!!! It's only Mar 9!!! How am I going to last another month???

Exactly!!! Are they planning to send, like, 2 acceptance letters per week?? :mad:

Maybe they're notifying the md-phds first? Then regular md a little later?
That's usually the case in US med schools from what i gather. And since GMS is in line with Duke admissions.........? Just my two cents' worth

dear hippo
it's zippo
did dr kamei mention
if there are any more interviews?

Hey zippo, nice try with the rhyming there..:laugh:

He didn't really specify if that was the last one..all he said was that it's the end of the season for them when it came to interviews..personally..I think mine was the last batch..because my group had quite a few international applicants...

Thanks for the info, hippo! Didn't get lucky during the interviewer lottery huh? ^^;;

Exactly!!! Are they planning to send, like, 2 acceptance letters per week?? :mad:

What an understatement there! I lucked out and got the most difficult interviewer. Talk about being grilled.

Oh well, at least that's over..:laugh:

.....and got the most difficult interviewer....

Ehm...what makes you say that?

Btw i'm just curious, did Dr Kamei mention anything about the financial aid schemes being offered, apart from what's already on the GMS website?

Ehm...what makes you say that?

Btw i'm just curious, did Dr Kamei mention anything about the financial aid schemes being offered, apart from what's already on the GMS website?

After discussing with the other applicants that day..we kinda came to a general consensus that that particular interviewer was one of the hardest ones around..

He just mentioned that different people will have different financial aid schemes based on need and merit..but he didn't go into much detail..all I got was that you'll only know once you've gotten the acceptance letter..

Thanks hippo :thumbup:

Let's hope next week brings with it that much coveted piece of postal mail.​

I suddenly had a thought....
Isn't it also possible that GMS might call instead of send postal mail?

Got a reply to my email:
Notification of your application status will be out by May if not earlier. The admission committee is still in the midst of reviewing the applications and we are also hoping to send out the information as soon as possible.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigghhh... Basically confirming its possibly another long wait...

Hippo, I got one tough interviewer too.. Could be the same one.

Is it possible for you to release the questions you have in the interview? This may benefit people in the future! thanks.

a bit different though:

Applicants would receive notification of their application status latest by April, if not earlier. Notification will be by mail sent to your current address, hence applicants are advised to keep their address updated on the online application.

the second sentence was regarding my question of whether accepted candidates will receive a call or email other than the letter. so it means no.

Got a reply to my email:
Notification of your application status will be out by May if not earlier. The admission committee is still in the midst of reviewing the applications and we are also hoping to send out the information as soon as possible.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigghhh... Basically confirming its possibly another long wait...

Is it possible for you to release the questions you have in the interview? This may benefit people in the future! thanks.

I think the questions are pretty standard. You can find some help in the SDN Wiki, and also the Interview Feedback here at SDN. I think tough interviews are mainly caused by the interviewers' style.

Ok, that's great. At least we've got some news to go on with now....

Actually, I don't think the MCAT scores would be comparable to Duke's. MCAT is never used in a school in Singapore before and I bet most of the applicants have never heard of it until they read the GMS admission requirements. Dr K. told me that the school understood that they will be seeing a different kind of MCAT scores among the applicants, as in the US premeds normally take 4 years to prepare for it, rather than the few months we had. Overall, I was under the impression that the GMS is looking for a rather different type of candidates than Duke - but I guess we'll find out for sure soon...

(However this being Singapore and this being a well-publicized move towards being a biomedical hub blahblahblah, I'm afraid stellar GPA is still a must.)

hey choklad, what abt research exp/work exp? wat do they expect?

Applicants would receive notification of their application status latest by April

Maybe the reply to me is foreshadowing a waiting list status.......... >.<;;;

Maybe they're notifying the md-phds first? Then regular md a little later?
That's usually the case in US med schools from what i gather. And since GMS is in line with Duke admissions.........? Just my two cents' worth

I remember their admissions manager telling me that the identification of md-phd candidates will be done only after second year of studies, depending upon the aca results acheived by the cohort at the end of two yrs. So initially, all u guys must be in for the MD prog only, then the identify those who will go on to do the MD-PhD... this is wat I was told.. correct me if i am wrong:confused:

Maybe the reply to me is foreshadowing a waiting list status.......... >.<;;;

Nah....just chill. Don't read too much into the lines. It was probably just a hasty response meant to pacify the hordes of applicants who've been bugging them with requests for status updates these past few days :p

totally agree with Eloosive here. not to worry about that.

hippocrates80, how many interviewees were there at your batch? trying to gather the number.

1st round: 14
2nd(early Jan): 16
3rd (early feb?) ??
4th ????

Nah....just chill. Don't read too much into the lines. It was probably just a hasty response meant to pacify the hordes of applicants who've been bugging them with requests for status updates these past few days :p

You guys must know by now I'm neurotic as hell (just in case we end up as classmates... hahahaha~)

According to an article in ST (back in Jan?), 125 people were shortlisted. So I think that means people called for interview ... I suppose the numbers might be more with the Jan MCATers. Same article also mentioned total of 300 people applied.

hippocrates80, how many interviewees were there at your batch? trying to gather the number.

1st round: 14
2nd(early Jan): 16
3rd (early feb?) ??
4th ????

Actually i remember psymedicus mentioning in one of her older posts that there was an interview day in mid-feb. Plus i heard there were two interview days in early Feb. Anyone can confirm these?

Choklad interviewed in Feb, I know. I was talking to someone about how it was impossible for them to interview all 125. That would be 9 days of interview, which I don't think they conducted.

Well, it's Mar 11, so 20 more days to "by April". Shall we have a countdown a la the Duke thread?

Who were your tough interviewers? I had a tough one too, Dr T.

My interviewers didn't seem to have a specific list of qns. Besides the basic "why do you want to be a doctor", the rest were based on specifics on my app/essay, for eg. I had some detailed questions about my research.

Status
Not open for further replies.