Duke-NUS GMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
been looking at grad programs. but nothing really interests me other than a MD program... my MCAT is very bad, might consider retake, though it means another round of painful journey. :oops::(

Same here!

Clairlila, want to take MCAT together in Aug if no good news appear in May? ^^

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult is it to get in?

Im applying for next yr and plces should double then, but cmon 50 plcs is insanely small!

Im busy writting my MCATs and doing Dentistry on the side. Anyway i read somewhere that DUKE in the US requires something like 36 on the MCATs. That insane!

Where r most of u guys from?

Im from South Africa

been looking at grad programs. but nothing really interests me other than a MD program... my MCAT is very bad, might consider retake, though it means another round of painful journey. :oops::(

I hear ya there, clairlila..mine isn't any better..so it looks like another painful journey's inevitable..

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here!

Clairlila, want to take MCAT together in Aug if no good news appear in May? ^^

Count me in if you guys are planning to form a study group of sorts..sure could use some motivation...:laugh:

just how bad is too bad? i know you may not want to already tell your scores, but in general what would be okay to get atleast an interview? any idea?

sorry for the very vague question. i am trying to guess the likely reason i was not called for interview.

thanks,

just how bad is too bad? i know you may not want to already tell your scores, but in general what would be okay to get atleast an interview? any idea?

sorry for the very vague question. i am trying to guess the likely reason i was not called for interview.

thanks,

I really don't know. None of us has been accepted, which of course leads to paranoid thoughts that it's not good enough. No one knows the stats of the people who have been accepted either. I know for sure mine is bad because I was told so!

I guess you can use Duke's acceptance MCAT scores average as a thumb rule. Duke's average is 35, with a minimum of 30 (according to the school). So I guess if yours is below 30, it might be a good idea to retake if you're applying again next year?

As for interview, I don't think MCAT is the only decisive factor. It was a pretty lengthy application, so I'm sure all items in it were part of the consideration.

Hi everyone!

I am also an applicant to GMS. Went for one of the early batches of interviews and am yet to hear from GMS about the result. But considering the fact that I was called up in one of the earlier batches and it is already 20th March, i don't think I have much of a chance to get in.:(

The funny thing is, I thought I had a good application. Decent MCAT score, GPA, interviews went well..perhaps I didn't show as much enthusiasm in the team learning session, but thats about the only minus point. Anyway, guess I am not good enough. Have to start looking for jobs already!!! Sigh!

*sigh* Seems like nobody's getting acceptances or they're not reading this forum. Any NUS/NTU graduates know of anyone from your batch who applied and received anything?

Hi everyone!

I am also an applicant to GMS. Went for one of the early batches of interviews and am yet to hear from GMS about the result. But considering the fact that I was called up in one of the earlier batches and it is already 20th March, i don't think I have much of a chance to get in.:(

The funny thing is, I thought I had a good application. Decent MCAT score, GPA, interviews went well..perhaps I didn't show as much enthusiasm in the team learning session, but thats about the only minus point. Anyway, guess I am not good enough. Have to start looking for jobs already!!! Sigh!

Hey, keep your fingers crossed. There's still a good chance we could hear from them with good news since it appears so few have received acceptances till now.

Thanks for giving me some hope Eloosive. :)

Hope we all can get into the school! :D

sorry for the very vague question. i am trying to guess the likely reason i was not called for interview

thanks,

Another possibility could be your application essays. 7 essays is sufficient for anyone who really bothers to read them to form quite a detailed picture of you. Perhaps from your essays, the admissions comm felt your goals and expectations just weren't compatible with theirs/that of the school. So actually, it might not be your GPA or MCAT that's the red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Eloosive.

I am wondering what's taking them so long to declare results... U guys have evidence of just a couple of offers?

All the best to all!

Thanks Eloosive.

I am wondering what's taking them so long to declare results... U guys have evidence of just a couple of offers?

All the best to all!

Yeah, basically the evidence we have is just word that has been spreading. I guess it's quite reliable though

Hi everyone!

Hey, suzie..welcome aboard..:)

I'd advise you not to give up hope yet, as Eloosive mentioned. There's been so few rumoured acceptances so far, that I reckon it'll take quite a while before all acceptances are given out.

Another possibility could be your application essays. 7 essays is sufficient for anyone who really bothers to read them to form quite a detailed picture of you. Perhaps from your essays, the admissions comm felt your goals and expectations just weren't compatible with theirs/that of the school. So actually, it might not be your GPA or MCAT that's the red flag.

I agree with Eloosive. There are also other factors to consider besides grades e.g. activities that you've participated in before etc. The list of criteria is quite extensive, from what I've seen..

Yeah, basically the evidence we have is just word that has been spreading. I guess it's quite reliable though

Plus if you see several posts up, I posted an email from the Admissions people confirming several letters of acceptance have been sent out.

Welcome, suzie! Which interview day were you in?

Plus if you see several posts up, I posted an email from the Admissions people confirming several letters of acceptance have been sent out.

Welcome, suzie! Which interview day were you in?

hi Choklad, I went for the interview on the very first interview day, Nov 28th...been such a long time!

Seems like almost everyone here is from the first couple interview days ... what happened to the others??

I was in group 1 too. Maybe we interviewed early because we submitted early, which means we're just so "on" that we obsessively check online forums like SDN. :)

How are the interviews. What sorta questions do they ask? Did you do the on spot essays?

Saturday looms.....

Think they'll be sending out letters tomorrow?

Well there's exactly 1 week to April, and they did say they would notify everyone before April. Although I've fallen into this resigned state where I don't even rush to check the mailbox anymore because I don't expect anything, or if there's something it'll be bad news.

kinda have accepted the fact that i am rejected... :(

All this waiting...it's like playing some complex mindgame

Just had a thought - wouldn't it be completely horrifying if they've already sent out all the acceptances and they're just deciding between waitlists and rejections? It could be likely, since there're only 25 spaces and there've already been 2 batches of letters. :eek:

Well there's exactly 1 week to April, and they did say they would notify everyone before April. Although I've fallen into this resigned state where I don't even rush to check the mailbox anymore because I don't expect anything, or if there's something it'll be bad news.

If I remember correctly, Dr. Kamei said that he hoped that all acceptance letters will be given out by April 7th, so I'll give myself another 2 to 3 weeks before I give up hope and start looking for a job...:laugh:

psymedicus, how did you know that 2 batches of letters have already been given out? Any idea how many letters there are in one batch?

Just had a thought - wouldn't it be completely horrifying if they've already sent out all the acceptances and they're just deciding between waitlists and rejections? It could be likely, since there're only 25 spaces and there've already been 2 batches of letters. :eek:

If that's so, the admissions office ought to have informed us somehow (like when we asked for status updates), or posted on the GMS website that acceptances have been sent out already. It's only basic courtesy. So i'm assuming they're still sending out acceptances.

Like Eloosive, I also think they have only accepted a few people. As per a reply to my mail, they wrote "...only a couple of acceptance letters have been sent..." "A couple" doesn't sound a lot, and this was from an email dated less than 2 weeks ago.

There could be a deluge of letters coming soon! (But I'm rapidly losing optimism too ...)

Ok, so basically all we've been doing is wait and guess and second-guess on what's going on with regards to the sending out of admissions decisions. In any case, reliable info indicates april 7th is the date to watch out for. So, *yawn*...once again....here's starting a countdown till then

14 days to go! :luck: :luck:

Somehow the atmosphere just seems totally dead with zero excitement. All these false alarms....

Anything interesting to discuss while we wait? Population target 6.5M? As if we aren't already cooped up like chickens

Hi, I am new to this forum, my friend stubbled upon this link and sent it to me. It's good to see everyone here discussing and giving encouragement to each other! Thanks to the one who first set up this forum! = >

Hi, I am new to this forum, my friend stubbled upon this link and sent it to me. It's good to see everyone here discussing and giving encouragement to each other! Thanks to the one who first set up this forum! = >

Dude, no one stubbles upon a link...

And you're welcome :cool:

So what's your interest in the GMS? Applicant? Potential applicant? Observer? Spy?

Actually there're only 11 more days, because 6 April is Good Friday! :luck:

Actually there're only 11 more days, because 6 April is Good Friday! :luck:

Wait, but doesn't that mean posts will arrive on Monday instead??

Eloosive, yes, this waiting and guessing is tiring! I don't want to guess anymore, so I'm just waiting... waiting... waiting...

preciousjourney, are you a current applicant? Interview day?

Yup, I applied to NUS-DUke GMS, applicant u would called it. Interview date prob same as a few of u here ... 28 Nov... haha wonder who u r... Still waiting for letters too. All this waiting is drving me kindof crazy too, esp come Sat =< Well, hope it comes soon for all = )

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but what were the essay/short answer questions for the Duke-NUS program application? I really wish I would have applied for this, but I had no idea it existed...

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but what were the essay/short answer questions for the Duke-NUS program application? I really wish I would have applied for this, but I had no idea it existed...

I found this on another thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4091235&postcount=19
Questions 1,2,3 and 6 were in the list of essays for the GMS application (phrased slightly differently but basically they're the same thing)

And question 6 from this link was also in.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4034331&postcount=10

Another one of the long questions was to describe more about yourself in addition to what you have already mentioned (somewhat like a personal statement)

And another question was to describe an experience working in a team setting

April 7th next Sat..
Gonna be a nail-biting week ahead
Good luck all :luck: :luck:

Yep, nothing in my mailbox too. Next week it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.