Einstein vs. UIC (out of state)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephentyler20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry to do this...

I feel lucky to have this choice (EXTREMELY lucky), but it's tough nonetheless.

I was all set on UIC... Plans to check out places in Chicago, prepping to move out there, etc. I'm OOS so costs would be extremely high, but we were going to deal with it, and have a pretty solid plan to be in-state for at least the last 2 years (hopefully).

This week, I got the green-light from Einstein. Holy crap. World turned upside down.

What do I do? What would YOU do?

My initial gut reaction was to go with Einstein. It's got a great reputation, I felt pretty connected with it during my interview/tour, and its philosophy seemed to jive well with me.

The problem is, the girlfriend and I were looking forward to a new start in a new city. We're both from NYC, so that's not going to happen with Einstein. At the very least, I'd need to know that I'd be able to get away from this area during residency... I'm not sure whether Einstein gives me that flexibility or not.

So I'm left with a few days to decide, and I'm completely ripped apart. In a way, it'd be great to get that fresh start, in a new city, and probably with a better living environment. But is Einstein a much better school? Will I be a better doctor, and a happier student, if I go there?

I've read some of the posts on SDN about Einstein, and it seems like students go either way. Some of the posts are from 5+ years ago, which doesn't help much. Again, I got a really solid impression from student tours and interviews. Being in the Bronx doesn't bother me, although we'd probably live in Manhattan, closer to her job, and I'd commute out.

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't UIC really expensive OOS? What's the cost difference over 4 years? I'm guessing Einstein is cheaper. To me it would be an easy decision: Einstein is cheaper and "better". However, I would love to live in my home city, as I went away for undergrad, so my priorities aren't exactly the same as yours.

Still, I think less debt = happier you.

Go with Einstein - I have a 'solid plan' to try to get in-state tuition at UIC as well, but nothing's guaranteed, and in the end Einstein will be far cheaper. Considering the school's reputation, you should have absolutely no problem getting a residency somewhere else. And since your gf already has a job in NYC, now she doesn't have to give it up, which makes your life easier since you won't be without two incomes for a long while (her finding a new job in Chicago in the current market would have been tough)

I think Einstein is a winner on many levels

Members don't see this ad :)
I was set on UIC as well but ended up going elsewhere... It is a great school, but I'd have to agree that Einstein is "better."

Also, the way UIC handles residency is tricky. There are no set requirements for establishing residency. The ONLY way to do it is if your spouse works for 12 months. Sounds like you guys aren't married yet, so perhaps that is part of your plan? But, that isn't a gaurantee. When I talked to the guy who actually decides whether to grant these things he said in order for it to be a possibility you have to be married. We then talked about other things, bank accounts, buying a house, drivers license, voters registration, etc. etc. Then he said, "Well that would certainly make a strong case." As in, they may still deny it. If Einstein costs less take it, because you may end up 350 grand in debt for UIC if they don't grant you residency.

Congrats on the decision!!

You are all right that UIC will cost more, but Einstein aint cheap either... It ends up being $76K vs roughly $60K/year, total. So either way a lot of dough. Not sure how much that should weigh on my decision.

umm...let me get this straight, $64,000 difference is not enough to consider.

And jeez, is einstein budget currently $60K a year? I spent in the low $50's (tuition plus living expenses) and just graduated. Granted I had an extra year, so I really last paid for the 2007-2008 year.

But yeah, honestly, wherever you go to school, you can easily leave the area if you want for residency. Everyone who wanted to get out of the area did. If you desperately wanted to move to a new city, just go to Stamford and commute, or New Rochelle if you want to be closer lol. Though that's kinda silly considering our housing is ridiculously low cost.

Rendar5, any opinions to offer on your experience there? I agree, $60ishK is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm being told not to make that the motivating force in my decision. Yeah ok

Do a lot of people successfully commute from outside areas? I live in Westchester now and its not bad, but I have a car. I feel like relying on public transportation from manhattan would be a huge hassle.

I personally know someone who turned down UIC with in-state tuition to go to Einstein. His opinion was that Einstein's reputation was worth the additional cost.

I personally know someone who turned down UIC with in-state tuition to go to Einstein. His opinion was that Einstein's reputation was worth the additional cost.

OK, thanks. That makes it look like a no-brainer for me, considering I'd have the opposite effect!

well, i don't think reputation is a compelling reason to go to a school either, unless you're already charting your career in dermatology and ophthalmology. Honestly people do commute here, but I think to do so is stupid unless you have some s uper compelling reason, cause for under $600/mo you have a good apartment on campus. I've seen Westchester commuters and Manhattan commuters, though if you're living on the west side , it's more of a pain. If you're gonna live here, though, bring a car and get space in the monthly garage or parking lot.

Honestly, I enjoyed my time at einstein and ended up just as cynical as any other med student at the end of my years. I picked it over Pittsburgh to stay closer to friends and family. Location is compelling for some, price is compelling for omse (well, saving tens of thousands of dollars is seriously not something to sneeze at).

At the end fo the day though, unless you have your heart set on a super competitive specialty or matching at an einstein affiliated hospital for residency, don't bother listening to anyone else on this question. Considerinput from a spouse/fiance, and go with your gut because that'll tell you more than any fact or opinion anyone else cites.

well, i don't think reputation is a compelling reason to go to a school either, unless you're already charting your career in dermatology and ophthalmology. Honestly people do commute here, but I think to do so is stupid unless you have some s uper compelling reason, cause for under $600/mo you have a good apartment on campus. I've seen Westchester commuters and Manhattan commuters, though if you're living on the west side , it's more of a pain. If you're gonna live here, though, bring a car and get space in the monthly garage or parking lot.

Honestly, I enjoyed my time at einstein and ended up just as cynical as any other med student at the end of my years. I picked it over Pittsburgh to stay closer to friends and family. Location is compelling for some, price is compelling for omse (well, saving tens of thousands of dollars is seriously not something to sneeze at).

At the end fo the day though, unless you have your heart set on a super competitive specialty or matching at an einstein affiliated hospital for residency, don't bother listening to anyone else on this question. Considerinput from a spouse/fiance, and go with your gut because that'll tell you more than any fact or opinion anyone else cites.

Thanks. The input from the spouse/fiance is extremely important, and primarily revolves around living. She and I agree that in Chicago, we'd get a much nicer place for less money, with a reasonable commute. While Einstein may have great housing, she doesn't really want to be in the Bronx - not because of the Bronx stigma or whatever, just because her life and friends are in Manhattan. On the other hand, we'd not be crazy about dropping loads of cash to live in a shoebox apartment, either, only for me to commute 45 minutes or more each way. Tough predicament.

well, consider this:
1. she's nervous about living in the bronx because her life and friends are in manhattan. Good reason, we're talking a 20-30 minute commute by car at night, and during the day an hour. Or go public trans route and it's an hour also. I'm not being sarcastic; it's a pain in the ass to go to Manhattan at any time other than at night. But I don't see how this is in favor of Chicago. If she went to Chicago she'd be leaving all of that 6 hours by plane away.

2. cost of living: $64,000 more to attend Chicago over 4 years. If you're desperate to live in Manhattan, put that $64,000 over 4 years towards your apartment and living expenses and live somewhere on the upper east side (maybe $1000 more/mo than the equivalent Chicago apartment at most? Well within that $64,000 margin), a 45 minute commute.

There's plenty of good reasons to go to Chicago over Einstein and plenty to go to Einstein over Chicago, I'm sure. I just don't really see your and your fiance's good reasons for picking one over the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.