Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did LECOM release automatic secondaries, or do they have a manual screening they do?

LECOM pre-screens applications prior to sending secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Any portal changes for Nov 20 interviewees?

New acceptances are supposed to be mailed out Dec. 15 and I'm antsy. Should I feel safe if I survived any rejection notices/portal changes after two consecutive Tuesday committee meetings since my interview?

Any/all opinions welcomed. You guys rock! Thanks!

Last edited:
Any portal changes for Nov 20 interviewees?

New acceptances are supposed to be mailed out Dec. 15 and I'm antsy. Should I feel safe if I survived any rejection notices/portal changes after two consecutive Tuesday committee meetings since my interview?

Any/all opinions welcomed. You guys rock! Thanks!
Same boat as you. Haven't heard a thing yet :whistle:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I got admitted some time back and cant find the class of 2020 group. can someone send me the link? thanks!

my portal changed the tuesday afternoon after my friday interview so like 3 days pretty much, and called as soon as it said "A decision has been made." So if not today, decision should be made by tomorrow for the friday group ;)

Reactions: 1 user
my portal changed the tuesday afternoon after my friday interview so like 3 days pretty much, and called as soon as it said "A decision has been made." So if not today, decision should be made by tomorrow for the friday group ;)
When was your interview?

do they actually keep us there till 2:30 on interview day?

....So a decision has been made, but we can't let you know what it is.

makes sense. :lame:

Members don't see this ad :)
No I was just saying it was weird that they didn't just tell @crazyboi1993 the decision straight out and instead opted to give him this ominous "A decision has been made" e-mail.

No they didnt email me anything, it showed in my portal that a decision has been made on my file 3 days post interview, they told us that as soon as it said that on the portal, you could call the school and get you decision on the phone!

How long does the screen usually take? It's been a week here waiting on the secondary.

How long does the screen usually take? It's been a week here waiting on the secondary.

My time line

Primary sent: August 3rd (verified)
Secondary Received: August 12th
Secondary sent: August 13th
Secondary Processed: September 18th, got this email along the lines "The Office of Admissions at LECOM Bradenton has processed your supplemental application and the review process of your file has begun."
Interview Invite: September 22nd, scheduled for October 23rd
Acceptance received: October 27th via the phone

Hope this helps everyone

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!! I'm in!!! See you next year class of 2020 this was my top choice :soexcited::biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
CONGRATS! Did your portal change? Did you call? Still waiting for any kind of response......
I got a call from Mr. Shively. At the interview I notified them this was my top and that I had other schools I would have to put a deposit down for on the December 15th date and he told me that a decision would be made before than and called to let me know I was accepted and that the papers will be mailed out soonish. So don't have to worry about two deposits now:) but an added note my portal has not changed to "a decision has been made" yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a call from Mr. Shively. At the interview I notified them this was my top and that I had other schools I would have to put a deposit down for on the December 15th date and he told me that a decision would be made before than and called to let me know I was accepted and that the papers will be mailed out soonish. So don't have to worry about two deposits now:) but an added note my portal has not changed to "a decision has been made" yet.

Aaaah that's amazing! Hoping it's a good sign that my portal hasn't changed also! Congratulations, again!

Interviewing here tomorrow, kinda nervous and not sure how to prepare... I read about the school and curriculum but that's about it

Interviewing here tomorrow, kinda nervous and not sure how to prepare... I read about the school and curriculum but that's about it

That's all I did before my interview! If you have any questions, PM me :). Overall, it was a very relaxed interview! Try not to worry too much (easier said than done though).

Yeah I think if you just read over the attachments they sent you in the email to read you'll be fine

Second year here answering some questions I see being asked. Any opinions shared are my own, and you should speak with other 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year students if possible.

Schedule: Your first 10 weeks will be traditional lecture style learning anatomy. Lab is done with prosections, and the anatomy professors are pretty great. There are only 5 cadavers for ~100 students during lab which can make it crowded but not impossible.

The remainder of your first two years is spent (mostly) in 3 classes: OMM, Clinical, and PBL. The first two are pretty standard for DO schools, while PBL is sort of unique. You will meet in groups of 8 for 2 hours, 3 times a week and work through cases. Your group will assign chapters you'd like to be tested on. In my opinion the upside to PBL is that you get more time to study, while the downside is that it is possible to enter board review having never touched a subject if your groups never assigned it.

Facilities: This school has no simulation lab, no microscopes, no free printing, and no actual student lounge (just a cafeteria). We go to State College of Florida's nursing school and use their simulation lab two times total.

Rotations: An unmitigated disaster. The school does not have half as many year-long spots in Florida as they have students. This year spots were given out randomly, but in previous years it was GPA based. The remainder of the class either scrambles together a schedule or goes up north to Erie's left-over yearlongs. We were originally told they would force us to move up north, but they recently backed down from that. Our Dean of Clinical Education told us it would be easier on him if we died of the flu, because it would be less for him to set up; he also told us that if a decision comes down to being easier for him vs better for us, that he would win every time.

Conclusion: Anatomy is great, and PBL can work if you're a heavy reader. The lack of simulation center is definitely a negative but it's not a deal breaker. Ultimately, the anti-student atmosphere and lack of passable clinical rotation sites puts me on the "do not recommend" side of things. You don't need to deal with the abuse this school puts out while stressing over boards and your future.

If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them. You can also look for a tumblr blog called LECOMasutra which all the students use; it's filled with a lot of crude jokes but you can also gain a sense for how the student body is feeling.

Last edited:
Does LECOM use standardized patients?

Yes we do. We have 6 standardized patient encounters during 1st semester as first years. We have 20 minutes for the history and focused exam (on whatever topic that was recently taught in lecture) and then 15 minutes to type up a SOAP note. We also have a skills session prior to the encounter with 4 students and a faculty member to go over everything we need to do. I'm not sure how frequent the encounters are during other semesters. I personally really enjoy them.

Second year here answering some questions I see being asked. Any opinions shared are my own, and you should speak with other 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year students if possible.

Schedule: Your first 10 weeks will be traditional lecture style learning anatomy. Lab is done with prosections, and the anatomy professors are pretty great. There are only 5 cadavers for ~100 students during lab which can make it crowded but not impossible.

The remainder of your first two years is spent (mostly) in 3 classes: OMM, Clinical, and PBL. The first two are pretty standard for DO schools, while PBL is sort of unique. You will meet in groups of 8 for 2 hours, 3 times a week and work through cases. Your group will assign chapters you'd like to be tested on. In my opinion the upside to PBL is that you get more time to study, while the downside is that it is possible to enter board review having never touched a subject if your groups never assigned it.

Facilities: This school has no simulation lab, no microscopes, no free printing, and no actual student lounge (just a cafeteria). We go to State College of Florida's nursing school and use their simulation lab two times total.

Rotations: An unmitigated disaster. The school does not have half as many year-long spots in Florida as they have students. This year spots were given out randomly, but in previous years it was GPA based. The remainder of the class either scrambles together a schedule or goes up north to Erie's left-over yearlongs. We were originally told they would force us to move up north, but they recently backed down from that. Our Dean of Clinical Education told us it would be easier on him if we died of the flu, because it would be less for him to set up; he also told us that if a decision comes down to being easier for him vs better for us, that he would win every time.

Conclusion: Anatomy is great, and PBL can work if you're a heavy reader. The lack of simulation center is definitely a negative but it's not a deal breaker. Ultimately, the anti-student atmosphere and lack of passable clinical rotation sites puts me on the "do not recommend" side of things. You don't need to deal with the abuse this school puts out while stressing over boards and your future.

If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them. You can also look for a tumblr blog called LECOMasutra which all the students use; it's filled with a lot of crude jokes but you can also gain a sense for how the student body is feeling.

Can any other MS students from LECOM Bradenton, comment on this post. Makes it seem LECOM-B is a bad school!

Yes we do. We have 6 standardized patient encounters during 1st semester as first years. We have 20 minutes for the history and focused exam (on whatever topic that was recently taught in lecture) and then 15 minutes to type up a SOAP note. We also have a skills session prior to the encounter with 4 students and a faculty member to go over everything we need to do. I'm not sure how frequent the encounters are during other semesters. I personally really enjoy them.
Wonderful, thank you! :)

Can any other MS students from LECOM Bradenton, comment on this post. Makes it seem LECOM-B is a bad school!

There are pros and cons to every school, and it's up to each individual to decide whether the pros outweigh the cons for them. Check out Lecom_throwaway's posts earlier in this thread, and maybe even message him for another opinion (he has been very helpful so far). I know I've personally talked to a few second years here, and while they will all admit that the administration is subpar and the rotation situation is stressful, not all have an overall negative view. Although I'm sure Highsea5 has very valid points, I don't think it's wise to make an assessment off of a single opinion. I've personally made this my second choice after my in-state MD school, even after talking to multiple students. Maybe I'll regret it, but I know I'm not going to be going into surgery or a super-lucrative specialty so the financial benefits really outweigh the risks at this point.

There are pros and cons to every school, and it's up to each individual to decide whether the pros outweigh the cons for them. Check out Lecom_throwaway's posts earlier in this thread, and maybe even message him for another opinion (he has been very helpful so far). I know I've personally talked to a few second years here, and while they will all admit that the administration is subpar and the rotation situation is stressful, not all have an overall negative view. Although I'm sure Highsea5 has very valid points, I don't think it's wise to make an assessment off of a single opinion. I've personally made this my second choice after my in-state MD school, even after talking to multiple students. Maybe I'll regret it, but I know I'm not going to be going into surgery or a super-lucrative specialty so the financial benefits really outweigh the risks at this point.

I am a first year and agree with this approach. I honestly don't know of any student that loves our administration for the above mentioned reasons, but there are many 2nd years that I've talked to that are happy with the rotations they got. Some students were not so lucky and are understandably frustrated about it. There are many schools out there with better clinical education... There is no doubt about it. Research is also a major downfall of LECOM. It basically doesn't exist unless you are proactive and find your own projects outside of school. But I really like PBL and the rest of our preclinical education, and will try to make the best of my clinical education once it is time. I think you should go with your gut feeling when choosing a school. If something doesn't click for you at a certain school, don't go there because chances are there is a reason you are feeling that way. You guys are welcome to message me with any questions.

I do agree with GatorsKW14 and superfrogpoke. It's important to talk to multiple people, which I suggested. I was "lucky" with my rotations, but ~50% of the class was not. When you talk to somebody who is happy about their clinical site, temper that with the knowledge that things only worked for them because of a dice roll. It was random.

I'd also be curious to find out what our faculty situation is currently. We have hemorrhaged staff over the past year, and I know three more who are leaving after spring. Several professors have told us we would be in trouble if the accreditation board came today.

Was accepted, planning on withdrawing my acceptance. If you're debating between this school and another, or have questions on why I decided to not matriculate, PM me. ;)

Does Bradenton have PCSP? Or is it still only erie?

ACCEPTED :biglove::banana:+pissed+

I am s0o0Oo excited!!!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!

Reactions: 2 users
Also Accepted! I'm going to join the facebook group now!

Reactions: 2 users
Yesterday! I had a deposit due elsewhere. The staff was kind enough to give me a quick decision before I had to put the deposit down for the other school!

Yesterday! I have a deposit due next week, so the staff was kind enough to give me a quick decision!