Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was complete at the end of October. I guess I should anticipate a rejection letter too. Right now my portal says "we've received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file."
My portal was just updated for the Bradenton campus to "A decision has been made. You will hear from us in 30 days." Oh well. Would've been nice to receive some love from the home state.

Reactions: 1 users
My portal was just updated for the Bradenton campus to "A decision has been made. You will hear from us in 30 days." Oh well. Would've been nice to receive some love from the home state.
Such a stupid process. Why not just send a rejection email instead?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Such a stupid process. Why not just send a rejection email instead?
That's what I'm saying. It makes it seem as if we will possibly receive an interview invite in that time frame. It's probably there way of saying "sorry not sorry."

I'm sorry to hear that :( were you complete in October as well? I'm sure you'll get some love from other schools.

They want to make $ off of you by making you enroll in their post bacc. I called them after that email, and an admissions person went through my file and said my courses need to be more structured, and that I struggled in the sciences. Tbf, I did take a lot of courses at random places (had 6 transcripts), took online courses, and repeated organic 4 times.

I'm sorry to hear that :( were you complete in October as well? I'm sure you'll get some love from other schools.
Yes, I was complete 10/31. Time to see how the rest of the cycle pans out!

This was the response I got from admissions. Just a few more weeks hopefully!

"We started sending out decision letters last week and are in the process of updating statuses of applicants who haven’t received a decision letter yet. Letters will most likely be sent out after the holidays though as much of the admissions staff will be off".

I spoke with an admissions person who stated if I don't get an ii in January, then I should consider Lecom's post bacc. However, the other 3-4 times I called, the admissions counselors stated that I don't need to worry since they interview until April. :bang:

I spoke with an admissions person who stated if I don't get an ii in January, then I should consider Lecom's post bacc. However, the other 3-4 times I called, the admissions counselors stated that I don't need to worry since they interview until April. :bang:
LECOM is brutal this cycle. What a train wreck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Does that apply to anyone that hasn't received an II yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
They schedule interviews ahead of time...both those answers make sense. By the end of January it is possible most of the interviews will be filled until April. If you get a pessimistic person they would tell you it's statistically unlikely that they'll give you one after january and plan a backup. If you got an optimistic person they would tell you it's not even January yet so don't worry until you have to.

I'd have to agree with this. I got an II late October and the earliest date for me was late January... so it would make sense if January II are for dates in April.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@dd1548 Can you link me a thread for this information? I too was recently waitlisted and this is my #1. Fingers crossed for all of us to get off it!
Try this one, it's the waitlist thread from LECOM Dental School last year*.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lecom-alternate-wait-list.1172959/
tl;dr, Its about a 50/50 chance to get accepted from the list and they constantly re-review your app against any existing or new applications.
*I'm assuming dental and DO admissions are similar.
I've read literally dozens of threads over the past years about various schools (not advised for your mental health :p ) but you'd be amazed how much info is out there!

Last edited:
Try this one, it's the waitlist thread from last year.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lecom-alternate-wait-list.1172959/
tl;dr, Its about a 50/50 chance to get accepted from the list and rather than rank, they constantly re-review your app against any existing or new applications.
I've read literally dozens of threads over the past years about various schools (not advised for your mental health :p ) but you'd be amazed how much info is out there!
This link appears to be for LECOM dental school.

They schedule interviews ahead of time...both those answers make sense. By the end of January it is possible most of the interviews will be filled until April. If you get a pessimistic person they would tell you it's statistically unlikely that they'll give you one after january and plan a backup. If you got an optimistic person they would tell you it's not even January yet so don't worry until you have to.

So basically if we don't get an II by the end of January, it's pretty much over?

So basically if we don't get an II by the end of January, it's pretty much over?
I don't think totally! If it makes you feel any better I was just hanging out with some of my LECOM friends and they were all telling me how late they got in. I mean like Feb/March II's... I'm just trying to worry less because it isn't doing much of anything. Haha.

Still waiting from the 10/12 group:whistle:
So weird because at the 12/16 interview they said we would be reviewed the Wed after at committee meeting. I wonder is committee working on decisions from people who were there months ago still? Or have decisions been made and they are waiting for seats to open up before sending letters maybe ?

So weird because at the 12/16 interview they said we would be reviewed the Wed after at committee meeting. I wonder is committee working on decisions from people who were there months ago still? Or have decisions been made and they are waiting for seats to open up before sending letters maybe ?

I'd like to think it's the latter of your two theories, but I've given up trying to predict. Who knows lol.

I'd like to think it's the latter of your two theories, but I've given up trying to predict. Who knows lol.

I got alternate from 10/12 as well. My gut tells me they're just disorganized and the reception of feedback is entirely random. If you want logic, I would guess they have a technical limit on the alternate list and keep people in the dark until the numbers deviate from their preferred pool.

Would any people who have been accepted mind posting their stats?? GPA and MCAT

My son got accepted a couple of months ago...he had a 35 mcat and a 3.4 gpa from Cornell. He will be attending LECOM...received no interviews from any md schools. He had lots of EC's...so he thinks his gpa hurt him. He is excited to attend LECOM.

I was accepted with a 3.46 GPA, only about a 3.2 science GPA and I dropped ochem 2x. 505 MCAT. 4 years active military service which I think helped offset the GPA. Excited to attend!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Question for everyone post interview: has anyone received a rejection or has it only been: accept, alternate list or silence ?

Hey guys for those of you with flexible schedules and think your interview is too late in the cycle, I just cancelled my interview for this upcoming Saturday. The caveat it was at an offsite location outside of Chicago. Good luck for those of your still waiting for an acceptance, I was there last year. If this isn't your year just keep your head up, improve your weak points and apply earlier.

Question for everyone post interview: has anyone received a rejection or has it only been: accept, alternate list or silence ?
I interviewed Oct. 14...portal changed on Dec. 13 saying a decision had been made but have yet to receive a letter in the mail.

I was from 10/12 and was put on alternate list I can't believe there are people still who haven't heard a thing
When did your portal change and when did you receive your letter if you don't mind me asking? I interviewed that day too and my portal changed dec 13 but haven't gotten a letter yet. Going crazy.

For those accepted, is there a LECOM Class of 2021 Erie facebook page? The only one I see is Seton Hill and I switched campuses from SH to Erie.

Last edited:
Has anybody gotten an interview here recently? Its been pretty quiet for me a for a while. :confused:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I submitted to LECOM pretty late in the game --end of December. MCAT 508, GPA 3.2, M.S. 4.0, +1000 shadowing and volunteering, and full time research position right now. Do you think I have a shot? Don't be afraid to be honest haha

Hey guys! I submitted to LECOM pretty late in the game --end of December. MCAT 508, GPA 3.2, M.S. 4.0, +1000 shadowing and volunteering, and full time research position right now. Do you think I have a shot? Don't be afraid to be honest haha
I'm only a fellow applicant but I think you'd have a good shot ! As long as masters is either science or medically oriented. Good luck !

Hi guys,

I've been complete since November and still no response. I have a 3.43 and a 513 mcat. My application on the portal still says that it's "under review" does that mean a silent rejection?

I got one a few days ago. Complete in November.
Good to know someone in admissions is still alive and working, haha been complete since mid October and still under review.

Hi guys,

I've been complete since November and still no response. I have a 3.43 and a 513 mcat. My application on the portal still says that it's "under review" does that mean a silent rejection?

LECOM doesn't do silent rejections. If you're rejected it will say, "A decision has been made on your file and you will be notified by mail in 30 days." Note: This is not the case post-interview... only pre-interview.

You have good numbers, just be patient (it's hard, I know. Waiting sucks. Lol.)

LECOM gets like.. 9000+ apps/cycle, it just takes them a while. They were the first DO school to start interviewing this cycle too if I remember correctly. They're probably being more picky now with interview invites (that's just speculation, I don't actually know.)

Correction: See @ritts 's post below about silent rejections.

Last edited: