Mayo 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...

I checked the website and it says 95% for the first three choices, so I must have read it incorrectly (http://www.mayo.edu/mms/achievements.html). I thought I remembered someone saying over 90% for their first choice during the interview, but I cannot remember for sure. My mistake.

According to the NRMP 2008 results, 60% of US allo students matched their first choice, 16% match their 2nd, and 9% match their third (http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2008.pdf p 29).

Mayo's match list is released internally and got sent to the accepted applicants (probably because it includes names). PM with your email and I will send you a copy.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...

I checked the website and it says 95% for the first three choices, so I must have read it incorrectly (http://www.mayo.edu/mms/achievements.html). I thought I remembered someone saying over 90% for their first choice during the interview, but I cannot remember for sure. My mistake.

According to the NRMP 2008 results, 60% of US allo students matched their first choice, 16% match their 2nd, and 9% match their third (http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2008.pdf p 29).

Mayo's match list is released internally and got sent to the accepted applicants (probably because it includes names). PM with your email and I will send you a copy.
At the interview, this is what they said: "everyone last year got their first choice residency except for one person... who got their second choice." So PremedIowa, you did hear right.

If 75% get one of their top three nationally and 95% get one of their top three at Mayo, that's pretty impressive. I believe it.

So, i recently saw the match list for mayo and noticed that many of the people got residencies in the midwest and at mayo. How much of this is due to self-selection?

I'm trying to decide where i'm going to go to school, and it has come to my attention that my residency location could be affected by which medical school i go to...

I love both schools (the other is in new york), but couldn't imagine permanently living out in the midwest (i need the ocean!!!) Anybody have any thoughts on this subject?

It is mostly self-selection. Many students decide to stay at Mayo just because the residency programs are very good. I am an "ocean" person too and chose MMS knowing that the education and opportunities that it offers will help me get a residency in a location of my preference (Northeast). Now that I am a 2nd year and experience everything that Mayo has to offer I feel very tempted to do my residency here. (yeah, even with the winters and no ocean).

Note that depending on the class, some times there are more or less Midwestern students. Obviously, This also affects where they decide to go for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that Mayo has a full-time faculty / student ratio of 14. Sweet. Anyone know if this is the highest for any med school?

I thought it was according to USNews. At the same time, most of that faculty will be involved in clinical, research, or GME rather than teaching medical students, so I think it might not be a good indicator of the quality of the teaching. That being said, it does sound pretty BA. ;)

How is everyone doing? There has been a long delay in between posts here.

True, but presumably that would be at least partly true at any other school, too...right?

There are some schools where there are more students than full-time faculty. At least Mayo's definitely got them beat.

I am glad to see this thread is getting some action....its been a while. I am still hoping the waitlist gets some movement come mid-May!

True, but presumably that would be at least partly true at any other school, too...right?

There are some schools where there are more students than full-time faculty. At least Mayo's definitely got them beat.

That is definitely true at other schools. I bet Harvard counts all their affiliated hospitals which would add up to far more faculty combined than Mayo, but they have 3x as many med students.

I am glad to see this thread is getting some action....its been a while. I am still hoping the waitlist gets some movement come mid-May!

Good luck, Cast! It looks like you will be going to a good school regardless. :)

17 days till May 15th...good luck to all my fellow alternates! :luck: and congrats again to all the people already accepted :)

AHHHH!!!!!!! I just got the call from Marcy!!! I got accepted!!!! Mayo here I come! I am still shaking!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
omg! i'm so happy for you cast! hopefully i can join you ... ***Crossing fingers****!!!!

also ... i submitted a letter of interest a while ago... but it was a bit general ...

do you think it would be too much to call in or send a second letter to my interviewer? she was super nice and gave me her number and email. but i don't want to overdo it... any thoughts?!

also ... i submitted a letter of interest a while ago... but it was a bit general ...

do you think it would be too much to call in or send a second letter to my interviewer? she was super nice and gave me her number and email. but i don't want to overdo it... any thoughts?!
Send a letter of intent if they are your top choice and you would go there over any other school. Couldn't hurt at this point. The waitlist will start moving in a week or so.

I would just send in another / more specific letter of intent to Marcy. I sent in multiple letters and it was no big deal. Best of luck!

90 individuals have been selected for alternate status

Alternate Status: :love:
zpiff
pink07
bballluvr34
regley
mikey014

Accepted: :biglove:
azuldelcielo: ranked 1/23, accepted 2/05
cast128: ranked 1/08, alternate list 3/16, accepted 5/06
DoctorDeMan: accepted 11/24
knuck000: interviewed 10/06, accepted 11/24
nameloc: interviewed 10/17, accepted 11/24
PremedIowa: accepted 1/23
thegetupkid: interviewed 10/06, ranked: 10/14, accepted: 10/15

Hoping that waitlist starts moving for everyone else!! Good Luck!

CONGRATS CAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happy for you! :)

AHHHH!!!!!!! I just got the call from Marcy!!! I got accepted!!!! Mayo here I come! I am still shaking!!!

CONGRATS CAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so happy for you! :)

I still can't believe it myself, but I, with deepest regret, withdrew from Mayo today. Hopefully that frees up a spot for one of you guys!

I love mayo, it's an exceptional place--I only wish I could have two lives so I could go here, too. Good luck all! :luck:

Congrats on the acceptance Cast (I have been stalking this thread for a while)

I am visiting Mayo at the end of the month, and since I am not interviewing I can not stay with a student host. Do any of you have any recommendations for inexpensive yet decent hotels I can stay at in Rochester?

Congrats on the acceptance Cast (I have been stalking this thread for a while)

I am visiting Mayo at the end of the month, and since I am not interviewing I can not stay with a student host. Do any of you have any recommendations for inexpensive yet decent hotels I can stay at in Rochester?

Talk to the admissions office and see if they can set you up with a Kahler guest rate. That is right next to the main clinic buildings and is a decent place to stay. If you end up calling for a room on your own, ask for a Mayo rate; every hotel in Rochester has one.

I still can't believe it myself, but I, with deepest regret, withdrew from Mayo today. Hopefully that frees up a spot for one of you guys!

I love mayo, it's an exceptional place--I only wish I could have two lives so I could go here, too. Good luck all! :luck:

Good luck at Columbia and enjoy NYC!

Talk to the admissions office and see if they can set you up with a Kahler guest rate. That is right next to the main clinic buildings and is a decent place to stay. If you end up calling for a room on your own, ask for a Mayo rate; every hotel in Rochester has one.

Thanks for the advice PremedIowa, you continue to be a rock star. I did not realize I could get a discount, although it makes sense considering how important Mayo is to Rochester.

cast! thanks for your advice... your story is exactly what i needed for that glimmer of hope. i'm going to write my letter to mayo as we speak.

do you think i can send you my letter and get your advice?

[email protected]

- Michael

Does anyone know how strict Mayo is about its pre-med requirements? I'm looking at the MSAR book right now and it says that Mayo requires 2 semesters of inorganic chem + lab and 1 semester of biochem. I've taken 1 quarter of inorganic and I took biochem pass/fail. My school also doesn't offer inorganic chem labs. I don't remember signing anything regarding pre-med requirements on interview day, like you do at some other schools, but I might just be forgetting...thoughts?

Does anyone know how strict Mayo is about its pre-med requirements? I'm looking at the MSAR book right now and it says that Mayo requires 2 semesters of inorganic chem + lab and 1 semester of biochem. I've taken 1 quarter of inorganic and I took biochem pass/fail. My school also doesn't offer inorganic chem labs. I don't remember signing anything regarding pre-med requirements on interview day, like you do at some other schools, but I might just be forgetting...thoughts?

You really only took 1 quarter of G-chem? I thought all schools required a full year of inorganic (g-chem)?? I am pretty sure they will be pretty strict about the g-chem but biochem might be 'swingable'. I would just check with them.

how did you get into biochem with only 1 quarter? My guess, and hope for you, is that you are confusing their requirements. Most med schools require one semester of "inorganic chemistry," which is basically general/intro chem. Not to be confused with classes actually called "inorganic chemistry" as an upper-level metallic-based course.
does that help?

how did you get into biochem with only 1 quarter? My guess, and hope for you, is that you are confusing their requirements. Most med schools require one semester of "inorganic chemistry," which is basically general/intro chem. Not to be confused with classes actually called "inorganic chemistry" as an upper-level metallic-based course.
does that help?

Most/all schools require 1 year + lab or inorganic chem (aka general chemistry/principles of chemistry/etc), not an upper-level inorganic class.

And Mayo is pretty strict about their requirements, I've found. With so many people applying and so few spots, it is unlikely they would bend the rules to accept you when there are so many others who followed the rules. Unless you're a superstar, which very well may be.

that's totally what i meant to say. Apparently reading the word semester made me write it instead of a year. But yes, I second that.

Thanks for all the help guys. So my school only offered 1 quarter of gen chem (and no gchem labs) and then later, that course was split into 2 courses and the original 1-quarter version was still offered as an "accelerated" course...basically long story short, I took the accelerated version which is equivalent to 2 quarters. I should have taken 1 quarter of physical chem to satisfy the med school year-long inorganic chem requirement, but I didn't (and Ciello, for biochem, that 1 class in gchem was required and pchem was recommended). I'll double check with Mayo - I was just assuming that they took all my pre-med courses into account already when they reviewed my app. I shouldn't assume though; thanks for all your advice.

Most/all schools require 1 year + lab or inorganic chem (aka general chemistry/principles of chemistry/etc), not an upper-level inorganic class.

And Mayo is pretty strict about their requirements, I've found. With so many people applying and so few spots, it is unlikely they would bend the rules to accept you when there are so many others who followed the rules. Unless you're a superstar, which very well may be.

I'd just ask them if you're good to go. That way there is no question about it. You shouldn't have to take pchem to fulfill the general chem requirement, that would be odd.

Belated congrats, cast!!! :D:hardy::D

So, I checked with Marcy a few days ago, and 6 people have gotten in off of the alternate list so far, and about 65-70 remain on the list.

Things should pick up shortly once May 15th hits, and end by the end of the month. My guesstimate is that 6-10 more will get in off the alternate list this year (given that they "overbooked" the class a little this year).

Good luck everyone still waiting and reading this thread! :luck::luck::luck:

got it, thanks so much!

I'd just ask them if you're good to go. That way there is no question about it. You shouldn't have to take pchem to fulfill the general chem requirement, that would be odd.

JUST GOT THE CALL FROM MARCY!!!!!!!!!! Happy May 15th! First acceptance and about a year since I applied, big relief!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE STILL WAITING!

JUST GOT THE CALL FROM MARCY!!!!!!!!!! Happy May 15th! First acceptance and about a year since I applied, big relief!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE STILL WAITING!

That's Awesome!!!! Big Congrats! See you in Rochester in just a short 60 something days.

Alternate Status: :love:
zpiff
pink07
bballluvr34
mikey014

Accepted: :biglove:
azuldelcielo: ranked 1/23, accepted 2/05
cast128: ranked 1/08, alternate list 3/16, accepted 5/06
DoctorDeMan: accepted 11/24
knuck000: interviewed 10/06, accepted 11/24
nameloc: interviewed 10/17, accepted 11/24
PremedIowa: accepted 1/23
regley: accepted 5/15
thegetupkid: interviewed 10/06, ranked: 10/14, accepted: 10/15

Hoping the last 4 can eventually move to the accepted list. Good luck!

I'm a bit of a lurker here (mostly because reading how people with amazing stats got rejected from schools was just really depressing and I am completely into not making the admissions process more tortuous than it already is), but I got accepted into Mayo!

So, I had a quick question, on the avg. expenses list (http://www.mayo.edu/mms/md-expenses.html), it mentions that rent is estimated to be ~1200 a month. Is this really true? Maybe it's because I'm from Iowa, but to me, that's really expensive o_O.

I'm a bit of a lurker here (mostly because reading how people with amazing stats got rejected from schools was just really depressing and I am completely into not making the admissions process more tortuous than it already is), but I got accepted into Mayo!

So, I had a quick question, on the avg. expenses list (http://www.mayo.edu/mms/md-expenses.html), it mentions that rent is estimated to be ~1200 a month. Is this really true? Maybe it's because I'm from Iowa, but to me, that's really expensive o_O.

I definitely think this is a bit of an over estimate. I was up in Rochester earlier this week looking at housing and the places I looked at were not even close to this price. I think it just depends on what you are looking for, etc. Remember, this includes utilities (heat, AC, electric, cable, internet) which can add up real quick

^ Thanks for the quick reply:). I will keep that in mind.

Yeah, it's definitely an overestimate. My rent and utilities is going to be right around $450/month. I would say to expect anywhere between $400 and $800/month as being fairly reasonable for Rochester. But, again it does depend on what you're looking for. Good luck and congrats on the acceptance!!

Not at all. You would have to buy your own place or go out of your way to use over $700-800 a month. I think they padded their estimate for the benefit of people with families who have additional needs that really can't be covered in another part of the budget.

By the way, congratulations!

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be applying this summer for the first time, and my very top choice is Mayo. I'm actually from Rochester to begin with! unfortunately, I didn't get a good MCAT score back today :(

I'm just wondering, for those of you who were accepted, would you mind telling me your GPA and MCAT? I have about a 3.85, and I got a 29N.... I also have volunteer experience at both a children's hospital and a hospice, as well as research experience in a psychology lab (I'm a psych major). And I'm graduating in 3 years.

I am so disappointed with my MCAT score, and I really want to go to Mayo!

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be applying this summer for the first time, and my very top choice is Mayo. I'm actually from Rochester to begin with! unfortunately, I didn't get a good MCAT score back today :(

I'm just wondering, for those of you who were accepted, would you mind telling me your GPA and MCAT? I have about a 3.85, and I got a 29N.... I also have volunteer experience at both a children's hospital and a hospice, as well as research experience in a psychology lab (I'm a psych major). And I'm graduating in 3 years.

I am so disappointed with my MCAT score, and I really want to go to Mayo!

Fellow Minnesotan here. It never hurts to apply. Your EC's sound superb and past years have shown that Mayo is not a very number-focused school. Why are you graduating so early?

Fellow Minnesotan here. It never hurts to apply. Your EC's sound superb and past years have shown that Mayo is not a very number-focused school. Why are you graduating so early?

Awesome! Yay MN :) I will definitely be applying to them anyways, because I'm crazy about going there! I can't help but try.
I'm just graduating early because I went in to college with some AP credits, and I thought I could handle doing more than the average load (15 credits at my school) per semester. I also have a friend who is a year ahead of me who was graduating in 3 years (she just did), and she told me that I would be able to do it for sure. So, I just took 6 online credits last summer, and then this summer I'm taking 6 credits, and I am well on my way to graduating next spring! My only problem was that I overloaded myself this semester, with Physics 2, Biochem, O Chem 2, Italian (not a problem), and a Kaplan prep class twice a week for my MCAT. So, I was really pressed for time, but oh well I still did fine, and it's over now!
Also, it cuts a year off of undergrad tuition! Saved money!

Status
Not open for further replies.