2022-2023 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year there will be one unified application for both U of Minnesota locations.
As part of the secondary app process, you will be asked which campus you prefer, Twin Cities or Duluth.

Here is the link to the secondaries and alllll the special programs ;)
Cycle 2023 Supplemental Questions- WEB Final

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you’re reading this, this is your sign to PREWRITE SECONDARIES. For the past two years, anyone interviewing December or later has had a very low chance of being accepted. Please submit ASAP if you are interested in going to UMN!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any information if the Twin-Cities campus is participating in the early decision program for this upcoming 2022-2023 cycle. I know in the past they have participated but I have not been able to find any information for this coming cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any information if the Twin-Cities campus is participating in the early decision program for this upcoming 2022-2023 cycle. I know in the past they have participated but I have not been able to find any information for this coming cycle.
Per MSAR, EDP is not available at UMN for the upcoming cycle.

Source: https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7001/download

Hi everyone. I just got word that UMN Twin Cities will be releasing decisions on two specific dates this cycle. This will hopefully prevent the massive delays that have occurred in the last two cycles, and even out the playing field between early and later interviewees!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. I just got word that UMN Twin Cities will be releasing decisions on two specific dates this cycle. This will hopefully prevent the massive delays that have occurred in the last two cycles, and even out the playing field between early and later interviewees!
This is awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated. Best of luck to all of us :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am having trouble finding student club/activities. Does anyone have the link?

I’m not sure if there’s a well kept web page for extracurricular groups. I’m happy to answer any questions you have!
Thanks! Just curious what are some clinical experience 1-2 year med students can involve with?

Thanks! Just curious what are some clinical experience 1-2 year med students can involve with?
Sure! We start process of care clerkships (POCC) during MS1 spring. We rotate through inpatient, outpatient, and acute/long term care settings once a week for eight weeks per rotation. It’s a good opportunity to put interviewing and physical exam skills that we learn with standardized patients into real practice ahead of third year. Additionally, we have two student-led free clinics where we can volunteer as student clinicians.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they email us the campus selection email??
I haven't received one yet and I submitted my app on May 31st. I heard Minnesota is usually slow. Their website says secondaries will start to be sent out on July 8th, so I imagine we will get the campus selection any day now.....

I was reading the new application stuff, and am confused about applying to both schools....does this mean we submit 2 secondaries to duluth and TC or just one and they choose which campus you'd be best at?

Last edited:
I was reading the new application stuff, and am confused about applying to both schools....does this mean we submit 2 secondaries to duluth and TC or just one and they choose which campus you'd be best at?
They are integrating the application process for both campuses this year. You will just submit one secondary, regardless of whether you apply to one or both campuses. If you choose to apply to both, you can be placed on either campus at the discretion of the admissions committee.

Happy to discuss campus options with anyone if that would be helpful!

They are integrating the application process for both campuses this year. You will just submit one secondary, regardless of whether you apply to one or both campuses. If you choose to apply to both, you can be placed on either campus at the discretion of the admissions committee.

can I message you pls?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have insight on how long it took to receive the secondary application after their AMCAS verified? Thanks!

It says on their website that secondaries will be sent out starting July 8th (this Friday!).

Reactions: 1 users
"Once your application has been verified by the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), you will receive an automatic email message from us via [email protected] instructing you to select your campus preference."

Does one have better odds of acceptance if they choose both campuses? For example, I don't have any Native American or rural medicine experience so wasn't planning to apply to Duluth, as I thought it would be wasted time, but with this new process I'm not sure what to do.

Also, on their website it mentioned paying the application fee before the pre-screen. When I selected a campus, there was no further action. Hope it's all good, and we pay when they contact us?

Does one have better odds of acceptance if they choose both campuses? For example, I don't have any Native American or rural medicine experience so wasn't planning to apply to Duluth, as I thought it would be wasted time, but with this new process I'm not sure what to do.
Statistically, one might have a better chance of acceptance simply because you are applying for more spots. However, Duluth is very mission-focused and will remain so under the new system. If you don’t feel like you would be a good fit, there’s not really a good reason to apply.

I did not apply to Duluth my cycle and would not do so under the new system either, as I felt that it would be significantly more difficult to achieve my educational/career goals from the Duluth campus (I am interested in a competitive specialty). However, if you would feel comfortable in Duluth for 2 years, you aren’t losing anything by applying to both campuses since there is a single secondary fee.

Anyone have any tips on the explicit bias question?
This question can be tricky for sure.

My general tips:
1. Remember that bias can take many forms. Don’t confine yourself to talking about one of the big -isms if you don’t have a strong personal experience to draw from.
2. Dedicate most of the essay to reflecting on your experience, talking about what you learned and how you will carry it forward to medical school and beyond.
3. Make sure to cast yourself in a good light when describing a time you acted with bias or how you responded to someone else acting with bias. It’s definitely ok to admit that you made a mistake, as long as you are also showing how you’ve grown from it. Responsibility and self-reflection are qualities that med schools want to see.

I think essays where you acted with explicit bias can be more compelling, but could also get you into hot water if you choose the wrong anecdote. Feel free to DM if you have more questions or want to bounce ideas off of someone.

Just got the secondary invite
Ahhhh, may I ask did you submit your campus selection right away? (I am asking because I waited about 24 hours before submitting my campus decision, and haven't received a secondary yet). Congrats!

What is the turnaround for receiving the secondary application after answering the campus selection question?

are there ppl who submitted the campus selection july8th and still have not received a secondary??

Still no IS secondary received. Hoping for the best!!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have gotten or haven't gotten a secondary what location did you put down?