Mizzou c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here, except I'm in state. Dissapointed there were only two days set aside for everyone to do in-person. This is the only school I applied to actually doing them at all, though.

Praying for no bad camera angles, poor internet connection, or awkward pauses when trying not to speak over anyone. Best of luck ya'll!!
Oh man it sucks even worse if you're IS!! It would make sense to have the priority for in-person be for in-staters, but what do I know.

Anyway good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

OOS rejection too. Congrats and good luck to everyone interviewing!

Trad applicant. 3.97 GPA, 3.96 science. Have over 2k hours vet experience, and a couple hundred animal. Have around 100-200 hours of research including working on my own project. I’ve been taking 16-17 credits each semester. I also feel I’ve had really good leadership experience. This feels like a slap in the face, but I think I didn’t diversify my vet experience as much as they’d wanted.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Our pleas were heard! Yay! Hopefully you in-staters can get an in person interview slot now🤞

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel any better, I'm non-traditional with 4.5k hours and I didn't get an interview. I wish they would do file reviews with us but I understand why they dont.
I had a file review in the spring when I applied last year. Lol I was told that they only care about your undergraduate course work and graduate coursework is not factored in. They do their “own” GPA calculations and the VMCAS calcualtions don’t mean anything. I was also told that I have too much experience, but I would have got an interview of I was IS and rejected after . I’m also finishing a graduate degree at Mizzou with nearly a 4.0 and courses that are offered at the vet school. It was an experience to say the least, and I had to process it and move on afterwards. I maybe said 5 words the whole review . I had quite a few application reviews at other schools and a completely different ( very positive) experience. I wouldn’t let a rejection at Mizzou way on you too much. I really love the graduate program I am in and the professors and school has been great otherwise. One person can really be a deciding factor to not consider a school again.

Reactions: 5 users
I had a file review in the spring when I applied last year. Lol I was told that they only care about your undergraduate course work and graduate coursework is not factored in. They do their “own” GPA calculations and the VMCAS calcualtions don’t mean anything. I was also told that I have too much experience, but I would have got an interview of I was IS and rejected after . I’m also finishing a graduate degree at Mizzou with nearly a 4.0 and courses that are offered at the vet school. It was an experience to say the least, and I had to process it and move on afterwards. I maybe said 5 words the whole review . I had quite a few application reviews at other schools and a completely different ( very positive) experience. I wouldn’t let a rejection at Mizzou way on you too much. I really love the graduate program I am in and the professors and school has been great otherwise. One person can really be a deciding factor to not consider a school again.
What do they mean by “too much experience”? I’m sorry that this happened to you.

What do they mean by “too much experience”? I’m sorry that this happened to you.
I didn’t know there was such a thing Lol. No worries! I think the take away is that we shouldn’t read into vet school rejections as much. It can definitely be upsetting, but so many qualified applicants get rejected. It doesn’t mean one is not meant to be a vet.

You have too much experience ? How does that even make any sense ?? That should be a reason to take people !

If too much experience is a bad thing then I’m doomed been doing this for a decade, and half of that as a CVT/LVT

I didn’t know there was such a thing Lol. No worries! I think the take away is that we shouldn’t read into vet school rejections as much. It can definitely be upsetting, but so many qualified applicants get rejected. It doesn’t mean one is not meant to be a vet.
I think most schools actually want applicants in between too little and “too much” experience. They want someone with a strong foundation but not so much experience that they’re set in their ways/unmoldable. Not saying highly experienced applicants don’t have a chance. We can only speculate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Imo I think most schools actually want applicants in between too little and “too much” experience. They want someone with a strong foundation but not so much experience that they’re set in their ways/unmoldable..
I think our individual experiences make us all unique. I am sure many of us have much more than only veterinary experience to show for.

May I ask what did you do to improve your app
I finished 2 semesters of Biochem and Physics. I'm not really sure why they actually looked at my app. this time.

Edited to add: Also, I realized this cycle that I had forgotten to put some very important information on last year's application. I'm a military veteran and this cycle I actually put all the ribbons/awards/decorations I received while enlisted. Rookie move.

Last edited:
If too much experience is a bad thing then I’m doomed been doing this for a decade, and half of that as a CVT/LVT
Agree! I've been a full-time veterinary assistant for almost 3 years, because I'm a non-traditional and have to work full-time to pay my bills/not supported by my parents anymore!

Agree! I've been a full-time veterinary assistant for almost 3 years, because I'm a non-traditional and have to work full-time to pay my bills/not supported by my parents anymore!
Same ! I’ve worked full time since I graduated to support myself through community college and pay for bills. I definitely thought my 20k plus hours in emergency, along with all my volunteer hours with large, small, aquatic etc animals would have at least granted me an interview 😭 at this point I don’t know what they want.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda late but if it helps anyone I got an OOS interview invite yesterday! Had to do Zoom though

I’d love to know what to do differently also. This was my first choice out of state school.
I have had thousands of hours of community service since high school, leadership experiences, over 4,000 hours of vet experience with small, large, and exotic. I also went a non-traditional route and have a business degree, then went and took the science courses after undergrad while working full time in the veterinary field. I had good references from diverse fields
My GPA wasn’t super competitive which I know is my weakest point. I also didn’t have the average 15.5 hours of credits per semester due to me having to work full-time/overtime in the field. This is also my first application cycle and I know it’s pretty uncommon to get in on your first try, especially out of state.
I’d love to hear stats from those who got interview invites so we can see what to improve on for the next cycle if we don’t get into another school this year.
Wish you all the best of luck with your interviews and applications, and I know we will all make great veterinarians in the future!
Hi I got an interview. I’m so sorry you did not this time that’s so disappointing. :(

My gpa was around 3.8 cum, 3.7 for VMCAS and I think around that for last 45. I don’t know my EXACT hour break up but I did a full time internship for 4 months at a wild life rehab center, worked 6 months (as a kennel tech) at a shelter (loved it there but so much physical work.) I volunteered a few shifts a week at SD humane society. Worked about 18ish hours a week for my entire junior year at a small animal vet clinic. And did 1 shadow with LA. So most of my experience is wildlife and SA.

Outside of grades & animal experience I spent about 10 years in the military (joined out of high school) and got a letter of rec from my CO. Which lowkey is a big deal in the military community. Additionally I did full time research this past summer with my university. We went to Costa Rica conducting research on native populations (mainly of Felids but generally all mammals) and did community outreach to build a bond between the local community and their wildlife.

Lastly I had a pretty decent PS I think. I worked on it for 2 years bc I was going to apply last cycle but pushed my graduation back a year and did this cycle.
It’s possible one of my bigger things was the way I grew up. I was in foster care for awhile then I got adopted as a POC into a not very diverse town etc.

I think the biggest thing in general is grades, yes, but mostly diversity. Not just in your volunteering but in other areas too. Like what makes you different or what can you bring to the table no one else can ya know? In the past I’ve recommended other friends take a gap year to get some life experience for grad school and it usually helps the second time around but that’s grad school. Not just working tho but maybe you traveled on a mission trip somewhere, or volunteered in people health, I heard could be helpful as well. My military background really helped I’m sure as well. Not only do I have the “discipline” from the military but I visited many countries and lived in Japan for a bit. This gave me access and interaction with many different countries and cultures. To be honest some of the things I got to do I was super privileged to be able to do and not everyone is. Which is hard. :/

Anywhooo sorry for the novel 😅 but idk this is what I think. But HMU after the interview and see if I still feel that way lolol

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Too much experience? That's wild. I didn't think there was such a thing!

Reactions: 1 user
Too much experience? That's wild. I didn't think there was such a thing!
Maybe they mean there was no evident consistency. Maybe they appreciated someone who worked somewhere for more than a few months? Just a guess 🤷🏼‍

Maybe they mean there was no evident consistency. Maybe they appreciated someone who worked somewhere for more than a few months? Just a guess 🤷🏼‍
I have nothing but evident consistency in my experiences.The reviewer stated that “I have too much experience, and they just don’t see that in their application pools”. Didn’t think I needed to go into extra detail in my original post, but I hope this helps those questioning me as an applicant. Thank you for your assumption though. I just wanted to share my application review experience from Mizzou with everyone because some applicants were sharing their stats and concern for not getting an interview. The bottom line is that schools will choose to interview and accept who they want and application reviews are a good way to get feedback. Not all schools view applicants the same way. I like to help support and encourage other people pursing their dreams of becoming a veterinarian. After all, these people are our future colleagues.

First time OOS interview invite! Very excited :)

Still haven’t heard anything. So weird.

That is strange, Kathy is really fast at replying to emails, wouldn't hurt to reach out? 🙂
I found it! It was in my junk folder 😑

I found it! It was in my junk folder

Mine did that every time last year. Even put her as a VIP. It would have the star next to it, but still find it’s way to my junk box

• Wow
Hi all! Super excited to hopefully meet some of you in a couple weeks, how is everyone preparing for the interview? 🙂

Hi all! Super excited to hopefully meet some of you in a couple weeks, how is everyone preparing for the interview?

SDN has some sample questions! I’m prepared to talk about the path I want to take given my experiences and what I found to love. Also I’m prepared to discuss how I will handle the financial stress I may be put under. It’s best to strategize what points you want to say but not exactly what you’re going to say. I’ve heard it should be a conversion selling yourself on your drive and understanding of the field.

Reactions: 2 users
When does everyone have interviews I feel like mine is really late and I don’t know if that’s a bad or a good thing !?

Feb 18th in person
Feb 18?! Oh man so does this mean we won’t find out the results until after y’all do your interviews.. mines the Jan 30. That’s almost 3 weeks to wait 😩. This waiting is awful. That wait for an interview is painful. Then the wait TO the interview is painful. You have your interview and you think ok I’m done no more waiting then SURPRISE. More waiting lol 🥲

• Wow
Mine is scheduled for 9:30a on the 21st in person
I am scheduled for 9:45a on the 21st in person, so I will see you there! Also happy to meet up with anyone else who will be on campus. I will likely be by myself so always happy to make a new friend to experience it all with :)

I am scheduled for 9:45a on the 21st in person, so I will see you there! Also happy to meet up with anyone else who will be on campus. I will likely be by myself so always happy to make a new friend to experience it all with :)
Absolutely! I'll be there with my mom but I'd love to connect. Feel free to DM 😊

For the in-person interview, do we have to check in at the Deans office at 7:15 am, or do we have to go just a bit before our scheduled interview? My interview is on the 22nd at 10 am :)

For the in-person interview, do we have to check in at the Deans office at 7:15 am, or do we have to go just a bit before our scheduled interview? My interview is on the 22nd at 10 am :)
I have the same question! I was hoping to not have to sit anxiously for several hours

Just come a bit before your interview. I stayed at a hotel the night before, and drove the route to the school to prepare. I think I came 30 minutes early. You’ll enter into the building and they’ll have people to greet you, hand you some materials and lead you to your waiting room. There will be an ambassador to sit with you and talk away the nerves if you need. If you’re an afternoon interview, there’s a lunch offered and our recruiter will talk about the program. It’s optional… but it’s a free lunch… there will also be tours all day, so save a time for that if you’d like

Just come a bit before your interview. I stayed at a hotel the night before, and drove the route to the school to prepare. I think I came 30 minutes early. You’ll enter into the building and they’ll have people to greet you, hand you some materials and lead you to your waiting room. There will be an ambassador to sit with you and talk away the nerves if you need. If you’re an afternoon interview, there’s a lunch offered and our recruiter will talk about the program. It’s optional… but it’s a free lunch… there will also be tours all day, so save a time for that if you’d like
Do applicants typically change into something slightly less dressy for the Q+A and lunch? Or should we stay in our interview clothes? I have a good chunk of time that I will most likely be going back my hotel to debrief after my interview before the afternoon agenda but just curious as to what I should come back in 🙂

Do applicants typically change into something slightly less dressy for the Q+A and lunch? Or should we stay in our interview clothes? I have a good chunk of time that I will most likely be going back my hotel to debrief after my interview before the afternoon agenda but just curious as to what I should come back in

Whatever you’re comfortable in! I wore the same thing because there wasn’t a big gap between my interview and the lunch. I think I sat in my car for a bit to decompress. But I’m sure coming back in business casual+ wouldn’t be a problem

Whatever you’re comfortable in! I wore the same thing because there wasn’t a big gap between my interview and the lunch. I think I sat in my car for a bit to decompress. But I’m sure coming back in business casual+ wouldn’t be a problem
Perfect, thank you! I'll probably come back in a nice sweater, I have a good 3 hour gap 🙂

I ended up having to reject my interview :( so don’t lose hope!
Oh, KSU is done with interviews and I was not called off, so that is over.
But if people could reject their Illinois interviews, that'd help me immensely ;)

• Haha
Oh, KSU is done with interviews and I was not called off, so that is over.
But if people could reject their Illinois interviews, that'd help me immensely ;)
If it makes you feel any better I was never called off either for Kansas 🙃. You still got this tho, it's not over till it's over

• Care
Hi! I have an interview Saturday at 3pm in person! Just wanted to share that I emailed regarding how to bring in thank you notes and the admissions office said that they did not take thank you notes! Just wanted to spread the word :)

I have one at 4! Maybe we will run into each other. Best of luck!

hey everyone my interview is at the end of the day Sunday but I will be arriving Friday night! If anyone has interviews sat/sun and want to prep with someone please reach out! Goodluck to everyone interviewing!!