Northwestern Feinberg vs. University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very lucky to have a choice between multiple medical schools and am having difficulties deciding between two, Northwestern University Feinberg SOM and the University of Washington SOM in Seattle. I am looking to here for some outside thoughts and opinions on each school.

The price of attendance will be very similar for both schools and thus financials will play no role in my decision. Given this fact, if financials were not influencing your decision one way or another, which school would you choose to attend and why?

Members don't see this ad.

University of Washington.

Seattle is a far safer city with nicer weather, plus the school is better for both research opportunity and medical education.

Also, the residencies there are better, and by going there you can get to know the PD's really well.

Have you ever lived in Seattle or Chicago? Which one is closer to your family? Seattle is wet, but not cold or hot. Chicago can be very hot and humid in the summer and snowy/windy in the winter. Both are expensive cities, but both have public trans. You will get a good medical education at either one, so choose on the basis of environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW will likely require moving around a decent amount in the WAMMI region, depending on your state residency, so that's something to take into account as well.

Unless you have parents in Chicago I don't see how the COA will even be close considering how much more expensive Chicago is.

Anyway, I'd pick northwestern. I'm partial to the mid west and Chicago is one of those mecca of medicine type of cities.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I am very lucky to have a choice between multiple medical schools and am having difficulties deciding between two, Northwestern University Feinberg SOM and the University of Washington SOM in Seattle. I am looking to here for some outside thoughts and opinions on each school.

The price of attendance will be very similar for both schools and thus financials will play no role in my decision. Given this fact, if financials were not influencing your decision one way or another, which school would you choose to attend and why?

Do you want to work extensively with the underserved or primary care? Do you want to do your clinical work throughout the five states of WWAMI? Some people don't like being moved around like that. If you don't like those things, UW is probably not for you.

Both schools are ranked high and you will be able to do research at both.

Something to also think about are their respective curriculums. I know that would be a huge factor for me. I don't know the specifics for the school, but look them up and see which would be the most conducive for your learning.

Don't know much about Northwestern, but I'm a Washingtonian, so I'll give you what I know of UW.

The curriculum doesn't require attendance, as all lectures are posted online. Courses are in the afternoons if you do attend, leaving time for morning clinicals/studying. Though primary care is the focus, it is still a research heavy institution. They'll allow you to do an expanded second year (MS2 year for two years) if you'd like to do a research project, for example. You will do at least three regional rotations 3rd and 4th year, but I believe (it's been a bit since my tour) that your tuition includes having you housed in rentals UW maintains in those areas, so moving doesn't require the hassle of finding a place to live. If you want rural care, you can get mad scholarships/loan forgiveness through their programs. If you want to work in a sub-specialty, they will train you no problem. Annnnnd...the UW is honestly just a gorgeous freaking campus.

Don't know much about Northwestern, but I'm a Washingtonian, so I'll give you what I know of UW.

The curriculum doesn't require attendance, as all lectures are posted online. Courses are in the afternoons if you do attend, leaving time for morning clinicals/studying. Though primary care is the focus, it is still a research heavy institution. They'll allow you to do an expanded second year (MS2 year for two years) if you'd like to do a research project, for example. You will do at least three regional rotations 3rd and 4th year, but I believe (it's been a bit since my tour) that your tuition includes having you housed in rentals UW maintains in those areas, so moving doesn't require the hassle of finding a place to live. If you want rural care, you can get mad scholarships/loan forgiveness through their programs. If you want to work in a sub-specialty, they will train you no problem. Annnnnd...the UW is honestly just a gorgeous freaking campus.

She makes me wish I were from Washington. Wow.

She makes me wish I were from Washington. Wow.

Washingtonians gotta represent! Haha. I'm just slightly in love with the place though.

For the sake of full disclosure (and my general forgetfulness), I'll remind you that first year students are distributed on a regional basis. I'm not sure of your residency status, but if you're from the WWAMI region, you spend you first year in your home state (i.e. Alaskans do first year classes altogether at the Anchorage campus; WA has three sites--Seattle, Spokane, and Pullman--and you rank which you'd prefer to go to). If you're out of region, I think you just go to Seattle, but you can probably go to any regional campus (if you want).

Last edited:

Seattle is a far safer city with nicer weather, plus the school is better for both research opportunity and medical education.

Also, the residencies there are better, and by going there you can get to know the PD's really well.

This is purely subjective, but I have to disagree. Seattle does not have nice weather for the majority of the year. The best months are June-August in Seattle where you get nice temperatures (sometimes hot, but not unbearable). Seattle's spring's are inconsistent. You might start seeing the sun as early as April, but other times it doesnt come out consistently until late June or early July. While I lived there for college, only 1 of my 4 years had a normal spring, while the other springs were nonexistent The rest of the months can be difficult as they are 95% cloudy, grey, overcast, where you will not see the sun for long periods of time and will have to deal with rain (not torrential, but a constant drizzle). I know people say weather won't affect them, but you REALLY have to live in Seattle for a longer period of time before it wears you down.

This is purely subjective, but I have to disagree. Seattle does not have nice weather for the majority of the year. The best months are June-August in Seattle where you get nice temperatures (sometimes hot, but not unbearable). Seattle's spring's are inconsistent. You might start seeing the sun as early as April, but other times it doesnt come out consistently until late June or early July. While I lived there for college, only 1 of my 4 years had a normal spring, while the other springs were nonexistent The rest of the months can be difficult as they are 95% cloudy, grey, overcast, where you will not see the sun for long periods of time and will have to deal with rain (not torrential, but a constant drizzle). I know people say weather won't affect them, but you REALLY have to live in Seattle for a longer period of time before it wears you down.

This person is obviously not from Seattle. Most people from Seattle do not count drizzle as rain. There is overcast a majority of the year, but it goes away by around noon or so sometimes.

And it is true that precipitation falls for a majority of the year. If you are not used to this, then it could be a big negative. It is one of the things I loved about living in the PNW and something that I miss. However, you will be a medical student. How much free time do you think you will have?

Finally, someone said out if region applicants can do their first ear at a regional site like Pullman or Spokane. That is not true. OOR people are in Seattle no matter what.

When you finally decide, make sure to post your decision. I would love to hear some other people represent the other school.

Likewise! I'd definitely like to hear more pros/cons for an OOR applicant attending UW over other top schools (like Northwestern).

I mean, I thought one of the pluses of going to UW over others is to experience the beauty that is the PNW. If you won't have much time to actually explore during med school though, then what's the point?
And how do you know if you'll love/hate the weather if you haven't lived there for an extended period of time yet?

Also, to Introduce a different point: What about the student atmosphere at each school? My impression at UW was that students were pretty laid back and friendly - but I definitely caught a bit of that infamous "Seattle freeze" from people. I think the non-residential style of the campus might mean it'll take more effort to meet people/hang out outside of class.

And if you're big on primary care - I imagine it helps to have ~50% of the class interested in the same field as you, but not sure if it really makes a difference.

This isn't to rag on UW at all - I loved the school when I interviewed there, I'm just trying to make the most informed decision just like everyone else here!

Though I am not ready to admit that I attend one of the two said schools in this discussion --- Let me tell you a little bit about NU.

In your position, the perspective on which school is better may be skewed... Ultimately, finding and matching in a field and place that makes you happy is paramount.

You are predominantly in the classroom during the first 2 years. NU has prepared it's students very well during the preclinical years. Average board scores have been 235+ for the last 3 years. Many competitive residencies (and even away rotations) cut off applications at some level, 230s and 240s will at least get you through the first door. Additionally, we are moving towards progressively earlier clinical experiences.

2) you may not appreciate the quality of clinical facilities and instruction yet, but...Northwestern Memorial Hospital is ranked #12 in the nation. It is clean, well kept, and fairly "efficient" in it's operations. The campus also includes a brand new Children's Hospital, relatively new women's hospital (<10 years), and a new outpatient tower that is going up as you are pondering these merits. Additionally, NU is home to almost all the major divisions/departments that exist in medicine. If you want exposure or research in things like CT surgery, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, dermatology, interventional radiology, inpatient psychiatry, etc etc -- NU is definitely a place that offers these experiences to jr and sr students.

3) Many NU students end up staying at NU for residency. There is a reason for this, Chicago is a wonderful city (and we are nestled in the safest part of it) and the programs are fun, instructional, and non malignant. The faculty are for the most part -- academicians and enjoy research and teaching.

Though I am not ready to admit that I attend one of the two said schools in this discussion --- Let me tell you a little bit about NU.

In your position, the perspective on which school is better may be skewed... Ultimately, finding and matching in a field and place that makes you happy is paramount.

You are predominantly in the classroom during the first 2 years. NU has prepared it's students very well during the preclinical years. Average board scores have been 235+ for the last 3 years. Many competitive residencies (and even away rotations) cut off applications at some level, 230s and 240s will at least get you through the first door. Additionally, we are moving towards progressively earlier clinical experiences.

2) you may not appreciate the quality of clinical facilities and instruction yet, but...Northwestern Memorial Hospital is ranked #12 in the nation. It is clean, well kept, and fairly "efficient" in it's operations. The campus also includes a brand new Children's Hospital, relatively new women's hospital (<10 years), and a new outpatient tower that is going up as you are pondering these merits. Additionally, NU is home to almost all the major divisions/departments that exist in medicine. If you want exposure or research in things like CT surgery, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, dermatology, interventional radiology, inpatient psychiatry, etc etc -- NU is definitely a place that offers these experiences to jr and sr students.

3) Many NU students end up staying at NU for residency. There is a reason for this, Chicago is a wonderful city (and we are nestled in the safest part of it) and the programs are fun, instructional, and non malignant. The faculty are for the most part -- academicians and enjoy research and teaching.

Nothing against NU, but I don't see anything here that's really NU-specific rather than something you could get at any top school.

I will say that AFAIK the board score issue is probably not particularly relevant, since it's largely self-study anyway and a capable and driven student will score well attending NU or UW (I have no idea what UWs step scores are, but everything I've read from residents and med students says that it's really not an informative metric for aforementioned reason).

One thing to consider is that while there are a number of medical schools in Chicago, UW is the only allopathic school in the WWAMI region and so has its pick of patients, gets the most intense cases, etc. Then again, in a city the size of Chicago I'm sure there's no shortage of sick people to go around.

The weather/location issue is probably the only one that really makes much of a difference because you'll get a great education at either school.

Because NU is in the ghetto. Also, it depends if you like seasons or not.
(ie if you like having cold winters w snow and warm sunny summers you'll prob enjoy Chicago better)

UW will likely require moving around a decent amount in the WAMMI region, depending on your state residency, so that's something to take into account as well.

Huge difference between the schools. At NU you'll do all of 3rd year in Chicago and most (or all) rotations at Memorial. At UW you'll be moving around the state for 3rd year, however you do spend a significant amount of time at Harborview and UWMC.

Another big difference is the hospitals themselves. Harborview is a busy county hospital that sees many low income pts w diverse pathology from all over the PNW. Memorial sees mostly middle class white pts. from downtown and the north side of Chicago.

Likewise! I'd definitely like to hear more pros/cons for an OOR applicant attending UW over other top schools (like Northwestern).

I mean, I thought one of the pluses of going to UW over others is to experience the beauty that is the PNW. If you won't have much time to actually explore during med school though, then what's the point?
And how do you know if you'll love/hate the weather if you haven't lived there for an extended period of time yet?

Also, to Introduce a different point: What about the student atmosphere at each school? My impression at UW was that students were pretty laid back and friendly - but I definitely caught a bit of that infamous "Seattle freeze" from people. I think the non-residential style of the campus might mean it'll take more effort to meet people/hang out outside of class.

And if you're big on primary care - I imagine it helps to have ~50% of the class interested in the same field as you, but not sure if it really makes a difference.

This isn't to rag on UW at all - I loved the school when I interviewed there, I'm just trying to make the most informed decision just like everyone else here!

You'll have plenty of time to get out and enjoy the surrounding area if you manage your time wisely during the pre-clinical years. Both Chicago and Seattle are awesome places to live. Although, Seattle would prob be better for people who enjoy the outdoors more.

Can be both a good and bad thing.

PBL is honestly the tiniest part of the education. It's literally 2 filler sessions each week. You could do crap for it and still be fine. Going to NU for PBL would be like eating at a Michelin star for the water.

As far as NU not being diverse enough... there are 8M people in the greater Chicago area and NMH gets patients get a wide spectrum of patients... given that it provides the most free care in the state. Not to mention there are rotations at County and the VA Spas.

Status
Not open for further replies.