NYITCOM-Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the waitlist letter as well. I'm assuming the majority of those accepted will give up their acceptance for another school. By that time they'll start pulling off the waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

I got the waitlist letter as well. I'm assuming the majority of those accepted will give up their acceptance for another school. By that time they'll start pulling off the waitlist

When would that happen though? Is there an official date where people commit to a school?

Got an email from the school that says:

"Your response to our Wait List invitation has been received. As requested, you will remain on the Wait List until classes begin in August 2016.
Thank you for your continued interest in attending NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine at Arkansas State University."

Until August 2016?? Is that how all waitlists work? In the worst case scenario, I need to wait until the first day of classes to know what their decision is?? What's the point in that? Students need to finalize their school by April 30, so why wait longer?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email from the school that says:

"Your response to our Wait List invitation has been received. As requested, you will remain on the Wait List until classes begin in August 2016.
Thank you for your continued interest in attending NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine at Arkansas State University."

Until August 2016?? Is that how all waitlists work? In the worst case scenario, I need to wait until the first day of classes to know what their decision is?? What's the point in that? Students need to finalize their school by April 30, so why wait longer?

This is standard wait list practice to my knowledge and understanding. Your best chances are in the next couple months when there is quite a bit of movement in the classes. UAMS just recently sent out their acceptance letters so I expect several people will be withdrawing their acceptance from NYIT-COM Arkansas soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey was anyone accepted, without receiving the finacial aid email prior to the snail mail acceptance packet? Or did Admissions fix that glitch?

Wait-listed today. Hoping for some good news in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey was anyone accepted, without receiving the finacial aid email prior to the snail mail acceptance packet? Or did Admissions fix that glitch?

Yes I was! I was accepted about a month ago and got the snail-mail before the financial aid info

I interviewed 2/24 and am waitlisted here as well. Has anyone heard of anyone getting an actual acceptance from the interview dates 2/23 and beyond? And what do you think are the chances for those waitlisted here to get an acceptance later on as opposed to other schools since they don't require a deposit?

I interviewed 2/24 and am waitlisted here as well. Has anyone heard of anyone getting an actual acceptance from the interview dates 2/23 and beyond? And what do you think are the chances for those waitlisted here to get an acceptance later on as opposed to other schools since they don't require a deposit?

It seems like anyone interviewing after that day will get waitlisted.

I interviewed on March 15th and got the acceptance letter on March 21st. I definitely think there will be some movement on the waitlist in April though, especially with there not being a deposit

I interviewed on March 15th and got the acceptance letter on March 21st. I definitely think there will be some movement on the waitlist in April though, especially with there not being a deposit

Congrats!! But yes, I am hoping for that.

Just out of curiosity, how many acceptances here are choosing NYIT-Arkansas over another acceptance at another school? And for what reasons? I currently hold an acceptance at another school, but I'm seriously considering going to NYIT if I can get off the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! But yes, I am hoping for that.

Just out of curiosity, how many acceptances here are choosing NYIT-Arkansas over another acceptance at another school? And for what reasons? I currently hold an acceptance at another school, but I'm seriously considering going to NYIT if I can get off the waitlist!
I chose NYIT over LECOM and CCOM. I did this because NYIT has an amazing track record. They have done amazing with residency placements and preparing students for the boards. They have a gigantic network of physicians, and their college is huge in general and pretty well known. Furthermore, this is only the second medical school in Arkansas and there is a huge demand there. The dean of the Arkansas campus was president of the AOA in Arkansas. They already have rotations at 20 hospitals with about 70 gme spots and plan on getting to 400. I also talked to the some of the staff, and they said they are not trying to do what some other osteopathic schools have done and make the new location its own school. They told me they will do everything the exact same as they do in New York. That this will be the exact same school just in a different location. I have also talked to multiple M.D.s and a ton of D.O.s, and they all told me don't let anyone fool you it doesn't matter where you go. What matters is how you do on interviews, where you place in your class, and your board scores. That is what will determine your residency placement. The only way I will turn down this acceptance is if I get accepted into a M.D. school that I am holding out on. This is because it is my dream school.

Last edited:
How long does it normally take to hear back after the interview?

How long does it normally take to hear back after the interview?
took me about 2 and 1/2 to three weeks if i remember right. It was pretty quick. I think it depends on the candidate though as with most schools

I chose NYIT over LECOM and CCOM. I did this because NYIT has an amazing track record. They have done amazing with residency placements and preparing students for the boards. They have a gigantic network of physicians, and their college is huge in general and pretty well known. Furthermore, this is only the second medical school in Arkansas and there is a huge demand there. The dean of the Arkansas campus was president of the AOA in Arkansas. They already have rotations at 20 hospitals with about 70 gme spots and plan on getting to 400. I also talked to the some of the staff, and they said they are not trying to do what some other osteopathic schools have done and make the new location its own school. They told me they will do everything the exact same as they do in New York. That this will be the exact same school just in a different location. I have also talked to multiple M.D.s and a ton of D.O.s, and they all told me don't let anyone fool you it doesn't matter where you go. What matters is how you do on interviews, where you place in your class, and your board scores. That is what will determine your residency placement. The only way I will turn down this acceptance is if I get accepted into a M.D. school that I am holding out on. This is because it is my dream school.

Just curious..since you said they are trying to do everything like NYIT, have you also heard anything about whether they will have us choose between the two curriculum (the lecture-based or the DPC) like they do at the New York campus? I think it's a really cool concept, but didn't know if the A-state campus would do the same or just have everyone follow the same curriculum since it's the first class.

Just curious..since you said they are trying to do everything like NYIT, have you also heard anything about whether they will have us choose between the two curriculum (the lecture-based or the DPC) like they do at the New York campus? I think it's a really cool concept, but didn't know if the A-state campus would do the same or just have everyone follow the same curriculum since it's the first class.
They haven't spoken of the curriculum yet. Our first look isn't until June. We won't know a lot of things until then or until after orientation in August because they're still trying to finish the building renovations. That is probably their main focus right now. Since it is a branch of the Westbury campus and our lectures will be live-streamed from there, I don't doubt that they will offer the same options to the students at the A-State campus as they do to those in New York with respect to the curriculum choices.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I didn't ask any specifics about the curriculum. Based off how they said they are trying to do everything the same and will be using some video lectures from the westbury campus, I assume they will offer the same options as westbury.

I interviewed March 28th and my acceptance packet came in the mail today April 4th.

Has anyone who is on the waitlist heard anything from the school since they received the letter saying they were on the WL or been pulled off the WL and accepted into the class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone who is on the waitlist heard anything from the school since they received the letter saying they were on the WL or been pulled off the WL and accepted into the class?

Other than that email saying they confirmed my waitlist response, nothing, nada, zilch :boom:I feel like there will be little to no movement on the waitlist until after the May 2 deadline

Last edited:

So fellow waitlister here and I've been snooping around the NYIT NY thread quite a bit as well. Unfortunately what I gather is NYIT has the tendency to give a lot of waitlist offers but few post-interview rejections. So unless you have extremely high stats or are from AR, things are not looking great. The fact they continued to give out acceptances until late March interviews isn't too promising either. However being a new school some crazy movement could happen. Best of luck to all of us.

Anyone know if NYIT-Arkansas is done with interview season?

Holy crap, you gave up an acceptance to CCOM to go to NYIT-Arkansas?! I would have never guessed someone would do that, but to each their own! I am unsure as to what this schools primary focus will be, but I can almost assume that they will favor primary care pretty heavily based on why the school opened in Arkansas and where it is located. Arkansas ranks among the last as far as how poor this state is (I live here). Arkansas is also in trouble in the sense that they have a dire need for rural physicians to fill the gaps. Northwest Arkansas is pretty vibrant, but once you head west and for sure a little more south you will see just how bad it can get. I hope this school ends up being all that you all hope it to be. NYIT-Arkansas has a well respected and very accomplished dean which should help tremendously.

Also, when you say you spoke with the president of the AOA were you referring to Mr. Frazier? I used to speak with him on a pretty regular basis because he is so open and willing to help you if you seek it out. His dad is an amazing physician who graduates from AT-Stills and I believe holds a spot on the board for some osteopathic association. Mr. Frazier and his father came and spoke to the students at the University of Arkansas - the talk was interesting, but I don't think he initially wanted to open a satellite campus, because they were planning to open an independently funded, private osteopathic medical school (non-profit I think). Mr. Frazier was super friendly and highly encouraged anyone who needed help finding Osteopathic physicians to shadow or help with information in general to seek him out and shoot him an e-mail or call him. Let me know if anyone wants his e-mail or anything else.

Best of luck for you all! =D

Does anybody know if this school shares waitlist placement information? Like an applicant is in the top third of the waitlist or first half of the waitlist, etc etc?

Holy crap, you gave up an acceptance to CCOM to go to NYIT-Arkansas?! I would have never guessed someone would do that, but to each their own! I am unsure as to what this schools primary focus will be, but I can almost assume that they will favor primary care pretty heavily based on why the school opened in Arkansas and where it is located. Arkansas ranks among the last as far as how poor this state is (I live here). Arkansas is also in trouble in the sense that they have a dire need for rural physicians to fill the gaps. Northwest Arkansas is pretty vibrant, but once you head west and for sure a little more south you will see just how bad it can get. I hope this school ends up being all that you all hope it to be. NYIT-Arkansas has a well respected and very accomplished dean which should help tremendously.

Also, when you say you spoke with the president of the AOA were you referring to Mr. Frazier? I used to speak with him on a pretty regular basis because he is so open and willing to help you if you seek it out. His dad is an amazing physician who graduates from AT-Stills and I believe holds a spot on the board for some osteopathic association. Mr. Frazier and his father came and spoke to the students at the University of Arkansas - the talk was interesting, but I don't think he initially wanted to open a satellite campus, because they were planning to open an independently funded, private osteopathic medical school (non-profit I think). Mr. Frazier was super friendly and highly encouraged anyone who needed help finding Osteopathic physicians to shadow or help with information in general to seek him out and shoot him an e-mail or call him. Let me know if anyone wants his e-mail or anything else.

Best of luck for you all! =D
Yeah i chose it over ccom because I do not want to live in Chicago for four years. I am from the south and will be practicing medicine in the south. I chose it over Lecom b/c I am not a big fan of pbl. And after looking at the NYIT (at a-state) rotation spots, I was impressed. Location was a big factor in my decision b/c I am about to be engaged. As far as what percentage will do primary care, I assume it will be like most D.O. schools with 50% primary care, and the other 50 doing specialties. They seem to be taking a lot of people from Arkansas, so I assume those people will stay in Arkansas. I am from Alabama, so I will probably come back here to practice. (Plus I have a lot of connections for residencies in Alabama). In terms of the needs for Primary care physicians, I agree. However I do not think the medical schools is the solution. Until they adjust the pay of primary care physicians and (the hospitals) start to place a larger importance on it, they will continue to (for the most part) get the students who are limited in their options of residencies

Yeah i chose it over ccom because I do not want to live in Chicago for four years. I am from the south and will be practicing medicine in the south. I chose it over Lecom b/c I am not a big fan of pbl. And after looking at the NYIT (at a-state) rotation spots, I was impressed. Location was a big factor in my decision b/c I am about to be engaged. As far as what percentage will do primary care, I assume it will be like most D.O. schools with 50% primary care, and the other 50 doing specialties. They seem to be taking a lot of people from Arkansas, so I assume those people will stay in Arkansas. I am from Alabama, so I will probably come back here to practice. (Plus I have a lot of connections for residencies in Alabama). In terms of the needs for Primary care physicians, I agree. However I do not think the medical schools is the solution. Until they adjust the pay of primary care physicians and (the hospitals) start to place a larger importance on it, they will continue to (for the most part) get the students who are limited in their options of residencies
Where did you see information on rotation spots?

Where did you see information on rotation spots?
I had to call them. They were not legally able to give me the names of the hospitals, but did give me locations. They also said we would have access to the locations in New York if we wanted. 22 total so far and 15 more in progress.

Whaaaaaaaaa?? :eek:Could you tell me where you found this number?

Also you think they would be allowed to tell us our waitlist ranking?
There was a story posted on Arkansas online. I can't find the link but Google "Arkansas online state anticipation high for osteopathic campus" and you'll find the link for it.

As for the position in the waitlist, I'm not sure. If you talk to someone who can tell you, let me know please.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

If you're sure about attending at NYIT at A-State can you message me? Trying to reach out to future classmates. Thank you.

If you're sure about attending at NYIT at A-State can you message me? Trying to reach out to future classmates. Thank you.

Look back in this post some and you will see a link to the Facebook group created by some of the classmates.

Fun fact for all you NYIT-Arkansas folks: "Barbara Ross-Lee, D.O., FACOFP Vice President for Health Sciences & Medical Affairs and Site Dean for NYIT at Arkansas NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine" is the sister of legendary singer Diana Ross. She has an esteemed reputation in the medical community in her own right, so you guys are in really good hands.

I was on the waiting list and just received my acceptance letter yesterday!! So there is hope for people who are on the list. Good luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
I am from Arkansas. I suppose I make 37 out of 115 from Arkansas that were accepted.

Well congrats! Did you attend A-state or somewhere else?

Thanks, I appreciate it!! I attended the University of Central Arkansas in Conway. I received my bachelors in Biology. I applied last year and didn't get in anywhere, this year I got lucky.

Is there an actual deadline for people to commit to an osteopathic school? I am unsure if this school will have any movement or not because it seems as though there is no movement.

Anyone waiting on another school or choosing between this school and another?

Found something for us wait listers!

"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15,
AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical
college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15,
applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn." (AACOMAS CIB, 2016, pg. 25)"

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody know if there is a deadline before they stop pulling people from waitlist, or is it continuous till the day before school?

Last edited:
I have officially withdrawn my acceptance from them, so congrats to whomever the wait lister may be! It's going to be a great school! I've seen the blue prints & have visited with many of the admin! You'll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
So you guys think the school will tell us how many seats they have left?

So you guys think the school will tell us how many seats they have left?

Pretty sure there will be some movement in these two weeks since the May 15th deadline is here and accepted students now have to make their final decision on one school.

Anyone here accepted to two schools and still deciding?