NYU vs. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

telomere101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i went ahead and created an alternative account for this so i don't reveal too much. i was recently accepted off of waitlist at one of these schools and am having a hard time deciding. i would really appreciate some input

NYU
Pros
• 1.5 preclinical
• Excellent facilities, especially the sim lab
• Bellevue hospital
• Higher ranked
• Hospitals all in walking distance
Cons
• Expensive housing
• Manhattan may be distracting
• Students seem more cut throat
• Exams every week
• They take Step 1 after third year. not sure if this is a pro or con...

Einstein
Pros
• ~8k more scholarship
• Cheap and close by housing
• Focus on community outreach and humanistic medicine
• Students seem laid back and more cohesive as a community
• Felt “at home” here on the interview day
• Exams more spaced out
Cons
• Facilities are less impressive than NYU
• Slightly less in prestige
• Hospitals more spread out, commute to rotations longer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm pretty biased here as a student who is almost certainly going to Einstein in the Fall, but I would note for one of your points about the spread out Hospitals at Einstein, Einstein provides a car service for free to rotation sites so the commute might not be as bad as you think. Plus between the money you save on housing and the 8k scholarship could really add up!

NYU, NYU, NYU. The clinical training you'll receive there is probably the best in the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty biased here as a student who is almost certainly going to Einstein in the Fall, but I would note for one of your points about the spread out Hospitals at Einstein, Einstein provides a car service for free to rotation sites so the commute might not be as bad as you think. Plus between the money you save on housing and the 8k scholarship could really add up!

yea i am leaning toward Einstein, the students there seem genuinely happy. but it's hard giving up nyu too

Are you sure you want to list Manhattan as a con?

yea i've lived right outside of manhattan all my life. i go into manhattan on the weekends to do fun stuff and what not, just not sure if i want to live in it.

Are you sure you want to list Manhattan as a con?
Ha where did I say living in Manhattan is a con? (I personally have lived in Manhattan for the past 3 years) I'm merely asking for an explanation for the statement that NYU has the best clinical education in the state...

Edit: perhaps you were referring to the OP listing it as a con, not me

Last edited:
Ha where did I say living in Manhattan is a con? (I personally have lived in Manhattan for the past 3 years) I'm merely asking for an explanation for the statement that NYU has the best clinical education in the state...

Sorry, meant for the OP.
yea i've lived right outside of manhattan all my life. i go into manhattan on the weekends to do fun stuff and what not, just not sure if i want to live in it.

Fair enough. Personally I'd prefer the NYU area to the Einstein area - no offense at all, great school - but hey to each their own.

just did some calculations, NYU has higher tuition and rent. 4 years for NYU comes out to be 161k, whereas Einstein is 84k. and i was just coming to terms with attending NYU because it is a better school objectively. not sure it's that much better that it'll be worth the financial difference. i have like a day to decide lol.

You're looking at close to a 80k difference. That's pretty big. Are your "cons" for Einstein really worth it for that price?

--

Think hard on the 1.5 preclinical and step 1 after M3 though. There are pros and cons to both so consider which one you would like more. Your "students seem more cutthroat" thing might be due to that 1.5 preclinical (they could just be more stressed overall, not necessarily cutthroat). I wouldn't worry too much about the prestige factor. The distance to clinical rotations was addressed by a poster above too.

Although keep in mind that both 161k and 84k (if that is your cost of attendance) are not bad figures. If you do like NYU a lot more then go for it.

Last edited:
If you are "coming to terms" and deciding that NYU is "objectively a better school" for you, go to NYU. I'd agree for the same points. Personally, 80k, even with interest, is not much and can be paid back. This fact becomes even more true in certain specialties, practice situations, and practice locations.

I think there is one point that tells where you should go: the fact that you felt "at home" at Einstein