2021-2022 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Next Friday is Christmas Eve tho??
Maybe a Christmas gift from Dean Rivera

but that is a good point idk maybe they will do Thursday next week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it’s a shot in the dark but I wonder how many ppl are still on continued review

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! i interviewed in early December and Dean Rivera mentioned he makes the calls with As on Mondays and Fridays. It does seem like people on here have mostly been getting calls on Friday tho!
suddenly my heart rate has increased.

Does the fact that people got continued review / decisions today mean that calls will also be made today?

Continued review. Interviewed 12/2

Given there were no decisions posted here today, do y'all think that decisions are coming out tomorrow or they were all out on Tuesday
posting this after having a stress dream about this school last night

Tbh, probably only Dean Rivera knows if Dean Rivera is gonna call anyone today. But considering how close the holidays are, plus the fact that he has kids, I’d be surprised if we saw anything before the new year. Seems like that’s when a bunch of continued review acceptances happened last year. Again, total speculation, maybe Dean Rivera is feeling particularly benevolent and accepts all of us today….who knows. Sorry to everyone living in purgatory, it’s agony :/

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh, probably only Dean Rivera knows if Dean Rivera is gonna call anyone today. But considering how close the holidays are, plus the fact that he has kids, I’d be surprised if we saw anything before the new year. Seems like that’s when a bunch of continued review acceptances happened last year. Again, total speculation, maybe Dean Rivera is feeling particularly benevolent and accepts all of us today….who knows. Sorry to everyone living in purgatory, it’s agony :/
Well, that's good to know there is some hope at least! I hope we can get some relaxation over Christmas (if that's your thing) and the New Year maybe

Missed the call Tuesday and Received a call for the A today !

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
They told my interviewing group that admissions decisions would most likely come back by Jan 1st. That probably means tomorrow, but today is the last non-New Year's Eve, non-weekend day before 1/1. Assuming you all have been given the same information, does anyone else share my feeling that this has created a lot of stress? I felt like it was a great thing when we were told, but after a week of heart palpitations at every email notification and phone call, I'm starting to wish that we had just been left in the dark lol. I do appreciate the transparency and honesty though.

• Care
They told my interviewing group that admissions decisions would most likely come back by Jan 1st. That probably means tomorrow, but today is the last non-New Year's Eve, non-weekend day before 1/1. Assuming you all have been given the same information, does anyone else share my feeling that this has created a lot of stress? I felt like it was a great thing when we were told, but after a week of heart palpitations at every email notification and phone call, I'm starting to wish that we had just been left in the dark lol. I do appreciate the transparency and honesty though.
Dean Rivera told my group that they would be trying to get them out by early January but it may be pushed to mid January. If you don’t hear anything today or tomorrow, don’t be too stressed about it!

Edit: I’m definitely a little stressed, but there’s nothing I can do about it other than breathe so that’s what I plan to do.

Reactions: 2 users
Was he talking about final decisions for everyone, or just the people who interviewed your week?

Was he talking about final decisions for everyone, or just the people who interviewed your week?
I feel like this has to be for their interview week, cos I remember him telling us that all decisions for continued review peeps (gang gang) will be out by mid-Jan

• Care
Probably just our week, though I think we might have been one of the last interview weeks. What the other person said is true as well - certainly a possibility of them coming back mid-Jan or even later. Also, I think the pre-Jan decisions he was referring to might have included "continuing review" as an option in addition to Rs/As, so it's not necessarily the case that we'll hear anything definitive today or tomorrow. Regardless, I have been a little on-edge these last few days.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Probably just our week, though I think we might have been one of the last interview weeks. What the other person said is true as well - certainly a possibility of them coming back mid-Jan or even later. Also, I think the pre-Jan decisions he was referring to might have included "continuing review" as an option in addition to Rs/As, so it's not necessarily the case that we'll hear anything definitive today or tomorrow. Regardless, I have been a little on-edge these last few days.
Ah, that is a good point about still potentially getting CR as an option. Each week has been so stressful... the wait for a call and the disappointment when it never comes. I am sending you the most positive of vibes and I really freaking hope Dean Rivera gives you a call this afternoon or tomorrow.

• Care
I really am starting to think CR is mostly just a pipeline to the waitlist. That’s okay though—NYU accepts a large fraction of their class off the waitlist each year.

I really am starting to think CR is mostly just a pipeline to the waitlist. That’s okay though—NYU accepts a large fraction of their class off the waitlist each year.
Does anyone know approximately what the post-II R rate is? I want to believe that us CR folks will end up on the WL, but I feel like from what I’ve seen, a majority of people ended up on CR which would mean we could be getting fed into either WL or R in Jan. Keeping fingers crossed for good news soon, though!

I think their post II A rate is a hair less than 20% (at least last year). I don’t think that includes people who got off the waitlist though. Granted, it’s also very possible that NYU is offering less interview slots this year compared to past years, which would raise that statistic. It seems to be a bit of a trend with top schools to be more discriminating with II invitations as the process has gotten more competitive over the past two cycles. I know that is the case with Harvard and Hopkins, for example. Harvard offered 100 less IIs last year compared with two years ago. Hopkins was a few dozen less last year compared to the year prior. Dean White at JHU testified there would be a further reduction in IIs this year in his podcast. Take this with a grain of salt though—NYU could obviously have a different philosophy.
That makes sense, thanks for that information!

Let me rephrase my question:
Does anyone know what the post-II rejection rate is thus far in the cycle? (ie: each Friday are they accepting 10%, rejecting 10%, CR 80% ? Or is it something like accepting 10% rejecting 60% CR 30% ?) not sure if anyone knows this stat other than Dean Rivera and the Adcom, but it’s been a long time since my interview so I’m not sure if there have been updates since. Just am not sure if staying in CR for this long means I’m looking at a waitlist spot or if a majority of CR people will end up rejected in the January decisions

That makes sense, thanks for that information!

Let me rephrase my question:
Does anyone know what the post-II rejection rate is this far in the cycle? (ie: each Friday are they accepting 10%, rejecting 10%, CR 80% ? Or is it something like accepting 10% rejecting 60% CR 30% ?) not sure if anyone knows this stat other than Dean Rivera and the Adcom, but it’s been a long time since my interview so I’m not sure if there have been updates since. Just am not sure if staying in CR for this long means I’m looking at a waitlist spot or if a majority of CR people will end up rejected in the January decisions
I don’t think anyone knows the answer to this information, but based on what Rivera implied at my presentation, it seems like they don’t just dole out CR status en masse. I think they do give it to candidates they think are a good fit for the school, but just aren’t the people they can immediately “grab”. There have been a fair deal of post II R’s posed in this forum, and I know several post II Rs among friends at my undergraduate institution. Based on this, I think it must be a relatively high “immediate” post II R rate.

“Though we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, please rest assured that your application will be continually reviewed by the Admissions Committee for a potential seat in our entering class”

this is CR right? they make it sound so bleak!

“Though we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, please rest assured that your application will be continually reviewed by the Admissions Committee for a potential seat in our entering class”

interviewed 12/8 btw

You got it!

Interviewed 12/15, definitely more stressed now considering I haven’t gotten a CR email but maybe they haven’t gotten to us yet

Last edited:
Interviewed 12/15, definitely more stressed now considering I haven’t gotten a CR email but maybe they haven’t gotten to us yet
I interviewed the same week and I remember Dean Rivera saying he hopes to have decisions to us by beginning of January but that it most likely would be mid-Jan!

I was accepted off of continued review last week, so for my fellow CR people, there is hope!!! I know things seem bleak but from what I understand CR is not “basically an R”
Wishing everyone the best!

Also does anyone know if there's an accepted students group/page? Or if not, would y'all be interested in starting one?

I was accepted off of continued review last week, so for my fellow CR people, there is hope!!! I know things seem bleak but from what I understand CR is not “basically an R”
Wishing everyone the best!
Congrats! When were you put on CR?

What makes NYU special ( besides free tuition)?
3 year med program in all specialities along with guaranteed residency at NYU... this is why I have considered them over a lot of other top tier schools.

3 year med program in all specialities along with guaranteed residency at NYU... this is why I have considered them over a lot of other top tier schools.
Hard asf to get into tho, considering such few seats

Hard asf to get into tho, considering such few seats
Spoke to about 5 students and they all said all the people they know who did it got their specialty.

You gotta think, there’s 120 students in a class.
Around 20-30% do the program, and are gonna feel comfortable enough to start that early. That’s 30 students.

For the competitive specialties there’s about 2 spots, for bigger specialties like IM and Surgery there’s 4-5.

So realistically there isn’t that many people applying for the same position in the same specialty.

Edit: 120 not 90

Based on the 2021 data only 8 people initially did it last year.

Spoke to about 5 students and they all said all the people they know who did it got their specialty.

You gotta think, there’s 120 students in a class.
Around 20-30% do the program, and are gonna feel comfortable enough to start that early. That’s 30 students.

For the competitive specialties there’s about 2 spots, for bigger specialties like IM and Surgery there’s 4-5.

So realistically there isn’t that many people applying for the same position in the same specialty.

Edit: 120 not 90

Based on the 2021 data only 8 people initially did it last year.
Yea, but I wonder how many people actually apply and get in prematriculation(not saying this is something you are trying to do I’m just wondering)

Edit: theres also extreme atrophy prior to application, woth many people realizing they’ll never be able to compete.

Last edited by a moderator: