2021-2022 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a Facebook group for accepted students yet

Members don't see this ad.

Got my R a few days before x-mas, interviewed early November. It seems pretty bleak to seemingly be one of the only ppl rejected leading up to the holidays, but I’m thankful my wait wasn’t drawn out for an inevitable R. I wish the rest of you best of luck, this school is a catch! Cheers to you, Dean Rivera! You guys run a tight ship!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
any calls today? ik during my interview, dean Rivera said he calls a lot on mondays and fridays. 2 fridays and 1 monday to go (for mid jan timeline)😬

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my R a few days before x-mas, interviewed early November. It seems pretty bleak to seemingly be one of the only ppl rejected leading up to the holidays, but I’m thankful my wait wasn’t drawn out for an inevitable R. I wish the rest of you best of luck, this school is a catch! Cheers to you, Dean Rivera! You guys run a tight ship!
sending you love and also I commend you and your honesty. I feel like a lot of people don't post their post-II Rs here and that makes others feel bad about getting it... I hope your med school dreams come true my dude

Reactions: 3 users
Don't feel bad. You are certainly not alone -- there is definitely a bias against posting post-II Rs.

The bottom line is that just receiving an II from NYU is a strong indicator of likelihood of success elsewhere. Also, and I am not saying this to freak anyone out before they receive a decision, but the numbers indicate that the vast majority of everyone who interviews at NYU is ultimately going to receive a R (85%+).

NYU is an awesome lottery ticket, but it's really difficult to cash it in and there is no shame in receiving a post-II R.

Reactions: 1 user
any calls today? ik during my interview, dean Rivera said he calls a lot on mondays and fridays. 2 fridays and 1 monday to go (for mid jan timeline)😬
so few calls are being reported here like dang. Maybe the Venn diagram of successful NYU applicants and people tweaking on SDN has a narrow to non-existent crossover lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Don't feel bad. You are certainly not alone -- there is definitely a bias against posting post-II Rs.

The bottom line is that just receiving an II from NYU is a strong indicator of likelihood of success elsewhere. Also, and I am not saying this to freak anyone out before they receive a decision, but the numbers indicate that the vast majority of everyone who interviews at NYU is ultimately going to receive a R (85%+).

NYU is an awesome lottery ticket, but it's really difficult to cash it in and there is no shame in receiving a post-II R.
I'm freaking out 😩

I'm freaking out 😩
Please, please don't. I urge you to think of it like a lottery ticket that would be absolutely fantastic to win but not something to count on.

If you can do it, it will make you less anxious while waiting. You won't be any less excited if you get it, but won't be nearly as disappointed if you don't.

Please, please don't. I urge you to think of it like a lottery ticket that would be absolutely fantastic to win but not something to count on.

If you can do it, it will make you less anxious while waiting. You won't be any less excited if you get it, but won't be nearly as disappointed if you don't.
My silly little brain is so good at grasping onto the slightest bit of hope...damn me and my optimism. Also ik this is hard to convey over the internet but I was joking with my "I'm freaking out" haha I did not mean to make you feel bad about what you posted!

For the people the interviewed the week of 12/6, did y’all all hear back a decision or are some still waiting?

My silly little brain is so good at grasping onto the slightest bit of hope...damn me and my optimism. Also ik this is hard to convey over the internet but I was joking with my "I'm freaking out" haha I did not mean to make you feel bad about what you posted!
Fair enough. But trust me, plenty of people are definitely freaking out. Hopefully at least one person will chill a little after reading my post!

I only feel bad when I inadvertently say something someone finds condescending or insulting, which happens way too often with my tin ear. I don't feel bad when I take someone literally because I'm too dense to read between the electrons. :)

Genuinely, thank you so much for sharing. Does it seem like NYU is sending continued review rejections right now? Based on last year, I was under the impression that CR rejections all happen on one day, the same day the waitlist is put out. A bit confused over here 🤨

Genuinely, thank you so much for sharing. Does it seem like NYU is sending continued review rejections right now? Based on last year, I was under the impression that CR rejections all happen on one day, the same day the waitlist is put out. A bit confused over here 🤨
Dean Rivera made it seem like CR decisions can go out at any time (acceptances or rejections) but I haven't seen anyone on the thread post about a rejection. Since the mid-January date is so close, I'm assuming anyone still on continued review will get waitlisted or rejected on that date, whenever it is. I'm guessing 1/14 since it's a Friday lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, so I think if we're still on CR at the mid-Jan point, we get hit with the R or the WL. Not much time remains until we know our fate haha

I wonder if there will be small wave of CR A’s this week or even the same day as the CR R/WL release.. like ostensibly they haven’t filled their class yet, interview season is almost over if not over, so maybe there’ll be a little batch of CR A’s this Friday or next to get to that 110 number (unless they already are there)

Anyone know if they’re done with interview dates?

I wonder if there will be small wave of CR A’s this week or even the same day as the CR R/WL release.. like ostensibly they haven’t filled their class yet, interview season is almost over if not over, so maybe there’ll be a little batch of CR A’s this Friday or next to get to that 110 number (unless they already are there)

I haven't seen any IIs posted here of late... I think the last dates were in early/mid December. I remember seeing someone post that most CR-->As take place after the new year, so hopefully some of us will benefit from that this week or next!

Agree with the chilling on the neuroticism, but can drop some info. I was talking to the admissions office earlier and they mentioned that next week is the last week of the interview cycle. That means 80 interview slots remaining, but I am sure that most of those IIs have gone out already since the dates are not far away and we are nearly at the end of this business week.
it's this post! This was made Dec 9th, so interviews are done

does this mean they're calling for us MD plebs or no 😩

Don't give me hope :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
This may have been asked already, but does anyone know if there's a Facebook group for accepted students?

okay we are manifesting As for everyone on continued review. say it with me friends.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
ok I am actually on the floor bc the two people who liked my comment were NormalUsername24 and creativeusername2191. thank you both for brightening my day

• Haha
Received this email… is this continuing review? I’m confused by the wording.

“Your application has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Though we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, please rest assured that your application will be continually reviewed by the Admissions Committee for a potential seat in our entering class.”

Received this email… is this continuing review? I’m confused by the wording.

“Your application has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Though we are unable to offer you an acceptance at this time, please rest assured that your application will be continually reviewed by the Admissions Committee for a potential seat in our entering class.”
yep, thats continuing review

Just got hit with that continued review 😩 interviewed mid-Dec

I'm surprised they are giving out CRs this late in the game. Like we all have to have a decision next week right??
yeah i'm surprised too.. i think the batch of decisions today was from their final week interviewing, so I guess this last week or two is when they divy up who on the CR goes where. to me it seems like NYU is being very cautious about who they're accepting AND rejecting.. there's no way to know but it just seems like the CR list is pretty large :unsure:

edit: granted, their waitlist has 250 spots (i think?? if i'm remembering MSAR correctly) and only 50 get off typically, so..?

I also just got CR! Interviewed on 12/15. I guess we're probably looking at A/R next Friday.

yeah i'm surprised too.. i think the batch of decisions today was from their final week interviewing, so I guess this last week or two is when they divy up who on the CR goes where. to me it seems like NYU is being very cautious about who they're accepting AND rejecting.. there's no way to know but it just seems like the CR list is pretty large :unsure:
This is what I’ve been thinking too, but I think reporting bias is also very prevalent in that we mostly see CR posts on SDN and not as many R posts even if the numbers are the same or more R’s.

I think there will be a lot of R’s next week or whenever from the CR group too

Does anyone know if we can realistically expect to turn a CR into an A next week if we interviewed during their last session?

I really liked nyu so I’m trying to if I should still keep my hopes up or not haha

• Care
I also just got CR! Interviewed on 12/15. I guess we're probably looking at A/R next Friday.

You’re probably looking at WL. I don’t see any other reason they would put ppl from the last week of interviewing on CR. Keep in mind all their waitlisted come from the CR pool…

Yeah... I think the rest of us are looking at a WL/R at this point :( I can't imagine how the people who have been on CR since the beginning of the cycle feel. For me, it's only been a month of hoping.

This is what I’ve been thinking too, but I think reporting bias is also very prevalent in that we mostly see CR posts on SDN and not as many R posts even if the numbers are the same or more R’s.

I think there will be a lot of R’s next week or whenever from the CR group too

edit: granted, their waitlist has 250 spots (i think?? if i'm remembering MSAR correctly) and only 50 get off typically, so..?
I remember Dean Rivera saying that half of the CR people end up on the waitlist, so I guess there are 500 or so of us on CR? That's so many people for like ten seats at this point lmao

• Sad
I remember Dean Rivera saying that half of the CR people end up on the waitlist, so I guess there are 500 or so of us on CR? That's so many people for like ten seats at this point lmao
I also have no clue how many people NYU interviews, so this could be completely wrong. I don't have MSAR so this number might not make much sense.

He also mentioned at the last session that he wants to try and keep the WL this cycle at max 200, not 250

…..so are CR acceptances kind of done? Thought we’d see a few more this/next week.

So with rounding for simplicity’s sake it sounds like -
10k applicants —>
9k pre-II R’s ; 1k interviews —>
100 A’s ; 500 post-II R’s ; 400 post-II CR’s —>
200 post-CR R’s ; 200 post-CR WL’s —>
< 50 post-WL A’s ; 150+ post-WL R’s

?

Y’all are killing me with this analysis 😩 let me stress in peace

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users